Creators of Botanicula, Machinarium, J.U.L.I.A. all cheated by the Publisher

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

link

Last month, CBE Software announced it had terminated its publishing agreement with Lace Mamba Global due to a breach of contract relating to payments owed for J.U.L.I.A. and J.U.L.I.A. Untold. Soon thereafter, LMG responded by claiming CBE's accusations included "a number of inaccuracies and false statements" and that it had tried unsuccessfully to resolve the situation privately.

It turns out that CBE was far from the only developer with a grievance against Lace Mamba Global. Among those who had also failed to receive payments due were Amanita Design, Daedalic Entertainment, and Colibri Games. Now, as a cautionary tale to other developers seeking contractual compensation from Lace Mamba Global, and to those who might wish to do business with LMG in future, Amanita, Daedalic, and Colibri have collaborated on an "open letter" that details their experiences.

For those keeping score, these studios are the creators of Deponia, J.U.L.I.A., Tiny Bang Story, Machinarium and Botanicula and they are all complaining that Lace Mamba Global is cheating them on royalties.

BCE Software (J.U.L.I.A.) even got to the point that they're about to close doors and are asking just for $5000 to stay open all because of some crappy publisher

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

Disgusting. I hope these f*cks are served justice. Botanacula, Deponia, and Machinarium are all great games and the developers don't desever this sh!t.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

Most publishers tend to be really sh*tty that's why DD needs to be the standard for more platforms.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rilpas

Most publishers tend to be really sh*tty that's why DD needs to be the standard for more platforms.

tagyhag
Indeed, now I feel kinda bad I own a collector's edition of Sanctum, which is a LMG published game god I hope they at least gave the Sanctum devs their money, though it would probably explain what Sanctum has a different publisher now
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rilpas
Alright, looks like the J.U.L.I.A. devs are going to make it, 40% of their objective
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Poor devs, hopefully this will stop other devs signing on with LMG in the future.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rilpas
Poor devs, hopefully this will stop other devs signing on with LMG in the future.Rattlesnake_8
Yeah, though the question now is: What sort of Publisher can indie devs apply to? From what I hear reverb isn't that great either
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
Hopefully this doesn't affect The Rabbit's Apprentice..
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#9 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Cheating Amanita and Colibri is like stealing food from puppies. :[
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts

tagyhag

Also publishing. Would be even worse because there's a lock-in effect with customers on the distribution platform.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rilpas

juliawn.png

well, good news everyone, BCE software the studio behind J.U.L.I.A. (and the software house that was about to shutdown) has reached 85% of their very humble goal.

I'll admit I never played the game, but I feel very sorry for the team and I hope they surpass their goal by quite a bit!

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

That's pretty crappy of the publisher. I feel bad for the developers...those are all good games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I've heard of none of those games.

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

turtlethetaffer
Botanacula and deponia are two AAe PC titles. If you're primarily a console gamer I could get why you haven't heard of them, most console-only plebs don't look to expand their gamer culture. If you are a PC gamer then inform yourself about these games because they're quite fantastic.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#15 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

turtlethetaffer
You're missing out if you like graphic adventure games at all.