Crapisoft (Ubisoft) bribes GameStop with free limited edition artwork

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

http://www.psu.com/a018762/GameStop-employees-get-a-special-gift-from-Ubisoft

I walked into work today, clocked in, and started stocking when all of a sudden my store manager told me he had a gift in the back. I was told by my assistant store manager to follow the SM to the back room. When I got back there, my SM opened up a special box with a pirate map outlining the top, telling me that it's a special gift and that he knew I would be ecstatic.

He reached in and pulled out a framed drawing that was done by Todd McFarlane for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, but this was no ordinary drawing. This is a limited first edition cel art drawing from Assassin's Creed IV by Todd himself. Only 31,500 have been made and Ubisoft has given them to GameStop employees. It even comes with a certificate of authenticity. PSU

Yay Ubisoft! Shower all of the retail store managers with gifts and just piss all over your gaming fans because clearly the store managers have to do with the success of your AC franchise. I mean, it's not like it's the gamers that actually spend the money or anything. Oh wait, the gamers ARE the ones spending the money. Then why the **** are we being fed rehashed crap every year, why are we completely ignored when it comes to fan service or just listening to fans, and why aren't we being given this limited edition artwork? If I were Crapisoft I would have made this limited edition artwork available to select people who have early pre-order copies of AC IV Black Flags. But no, apparently Ubisoft cares more about the people selling their games than the people buying them. Classy move Crapisoft, classy move. 

And yes, I am still angry about AC III, because I just love it when a developer pretends to fix all the problems in a franchise, and releases a buggy-as-hell game that not only didn't fix ANY of the previous problems, but also introduced new ones! Ubisoft, you did good with Far Cry 3, please don't f*ck that up too.

Regards, XVision84. 

mrmcygan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mrmcygan
Member since 2010 • 882 Posts

If you don't like the game then don't buy it. Its that simple, you do not have to make a thread, plus its a pretty nice thing that Ubisoft did for those employees.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

If you don't like the game then don't buy it. Its that simple, you do not have to make a thread, plus its a pretty nice thing that Ubisoft did for those employees.

mrmcygan

So basically people can bash Infinity Ward and Activision all they want because it's CoD, but when Ubisoft does the same thing it's okay?

System Wars double standards.

mrmcygan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mrmcygan
Member since 2010 • 882 Posts

[QUOTE="mrmcygan"]

XVision84

So basically people can bash Infinity Ward and Activision all they want because it's CoD, but when Ubisoft does the same thing it's okay?

Since when did I represent all of System Wars. I am neutral when it comes to COD and Assassins Creed since I've only played them a little bit and it would be unfair if a developed an opinion on games I've hardly played. 

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Recently when I went to GameStop they tried to make me preorder AC4 for the poster. Saying how I could always cancel the preorder if I didn't want the game and how cool the art looks. Was pretty annoying.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Why should we be angry at this?

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Artwork is thát important to you? It might not be the best way Ubisoft is handling this...but all this anger because of limited-edition hand-drawn artwork?
It's your own damn fault if you bought into the hype of ACIII. Wait for reviews and user reviews before shelling out full price of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="mrmcygan"]

mrmcygan

Since when did I represent all of System Wars. I am neutral when it comes to COD and Assassins Creed since I've only played them a little bit and it would be unfair if a developed an opinion on games I've hardly played. 

Well I've been a fan of Assassin's Creed for sometime now, and I'm just frustrated by the fact that Ubisoft is completely ignoring their fans and not fixing the problems in this franchise. I'm not buying an AC game anymore (obviously), I just dislike companies that play this sort of game where they treat the wrong people very well. I'm sure the GameStop employees are happy and that's great for them, but Ubisoft has to show some fan service.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

don't buy assassins creed if you don't like it XV, doubt that would make a difference though since millions of others will buy AC every year. at least we get watch dogs right? that looks great.TheGuardian03

I don't know, watch dogs looks great, but so did AC III before it came out. I'm going to be really skeptical about this one.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#11 Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

So, the problem with Ubisoft doing this is....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Artwork is thát important to you? It might not be the best way Ubisoft is handling this...but all this anger because of limited-edition hand-drawn artwork?
It's your own damn fault if you bought into the hype of ACIII. Wait for reviews and user reviews before shelling out full price of it.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Nah, it's just that I have no respect for companies like this. They milk franchises, they ignore fans, they treat gamestop employees better than their own fans, and most of all: they hype their games up to death and completely fail to deliver. At least when you're making a game out to have a "completely new combat system", actually have a completely new combat system. This is why I love Naughty Dog, Rockstar, and Valve. They don't pull this crap. That's why I'm angry, not because of artwork.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

[QUOTE="mrmcygan"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

Well I've been a fan of Assassin's Creed for sometime now, and I'm just frustrated by the fact that Ubisoft is completely ignoring their fans and not fixing the problems in this franchise. I'm not buying an AC game anymore (obviously), I just dislike companies that play this sort of game where they treat the wrong people very well. I'm sure the GameStop employees are happy and that's great for them, but Ubisoft has to show some fan service.

Fact of the matter is, as flawed as AC3 is, it sold very well, so looking at the numbers, it's fair to assume Ubisoft got the impression they did things right...

Yeah, it sucks, and the series could really use a break since it's getting very stale, but from Ubisoft's standpoint, a lot of gamers want more AC, and they'll gladly cash in on that demand, even if it means eventually running the franchise into the ground.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

So, the problem with Ubisoft doing this is....

Link3301

Read the posts in this thread and you'll know :)

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Yeah Gamestop Employees actually get pretty good treatment, a good friend of mine even got to play an hour long demo of The Last of Us that wasnt released publically or to press.  He also got a cool wristband that says "I played The Last of Us. :(

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
GameStop employees always get first dibs on pre-order bonuses. You should never shop there anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="mrmcygan"]

Rocker6

Fact of the matter is, as flawed as AC3 is, it sold very well, so looking at the numbers, it's fair to assume Ubisoft got the impression they did things right...

Yeah, it sucks, and the series could really use a break since it's getting very stale, but from Ubisoft's standpoint, a lot of gamers want more AC, and they'll gladly cash in on that demand, even if it means eventually running the franchise into the ground.

Yes, that is true.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

"Only 31,500 have been made."

"31,500"

"Only"

:|

EDIT: also, in order for it to be a bribe wouldn't they have to be getting something in return? It sounds like Ubisoft sent out thousands of pieces of promo artwork for their game to game stores and for some reason the virgins of our world are getting upset.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

GameStop employees always get first dibs on pre-order bonuses. You should never shop there anyway.OreoMilkshake

but this wasnt a preorder bonus -_-

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

[QUOTE="mrmcygan"]

XVision84

At least it is not the reviews that are being affected.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

"31,500"

"Only"

EDIT: also, in order for it to be a bribe wouldn't they have to be getting something in return? It sounds like Ubisoft sent out thousands of pieces of promo artwork for their game to game stores and for some reason the virgins of our world are getting upset.

Ninja-Hippo

Bribing GameStop employees = makes them like AC more = employees recommend it to people who buy games.

If I paid you $5 and you gave me a cookie in return, I'm not bribing you, I'm buying something. That's not a bribe.

If I paid you $5 and you told everyone I'm nice, that can be considered a bribe because I'm buying you out. 

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

"31,500"

"Only"

XVision84

Bribing GameStop employees = makes them like AC more = employees recommend it to people who buy games.

If I paid you $5 and you gave me a cookie in return, I'm not bribing you, I'm buying something. That's not a bribe.

If I paid you $5 and you told everyone I'm nice, that can be considered a bribe because I'm buying you out. 

Are you for real son? One member of staff at a gamestop store gets sent a piece of promo art work for an upcoming game so he will naturally start forcing that game on people? What mythical planet do you live on where people walk into game stores and say 'hello, I know nothing about games, please recommend one for me to purchase.' "Why, Assassins Creed 19 of course! They just sent me this sweet picture!"
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Big deal.Its a f*ckin painting.

I am sure a scan will be available on the internet after a while.Print it and frame it.

There,you too have a dumb poster like those gamestop employees!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

That actually seems kinda awesome.

I'm not sure what the alternative would be... Printing millions and giving it to the gamers? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

"31,500"

"Only"

Ninja-Hippo

Are you for real son? One member of staff at a gamestop store gets sent a piece of promo art work for an upcoming game so he will naturally start forcing that game on people? What mythical planet do you live on where people walk into game stores and say 'hello, I know nothing about games, please recommend one for me to purchase.' "Why, Assassins Creed 19 of course! They just sent me this sweet picture!"

Are you for real? Did I say the employee is forcing the game on someone?

So you honestly believe that nobody walks into the store and asks the gamestop employees for recommendations? I've seen it a billion times everytime I go in. I even had some of them recommend me Ni No Kuni when it first came out as they were fans of JRPG's. There are plenty of people on a day-to-day basis that walk in and look around or just talk with the employees.

Come on man, this is simple stuff. What do you think bribing is, man?

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Why make a thread about Ubisoft giving stuff to people & bashing them for it? Pretend they never did it, as it is insignificant.:roll:

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

seems like no one is rallying behind you TC

DAMN IT WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH ALL THESE PITCHFORKS NOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

I'm not sure what the alternative would be... Printing millions and giving it to the gamers? 

lundy86_4

Nah man, I'm just saying that I wish Ubisoft would at least give stuff to fans as well.

Like I said before, they're ignoring their fanbase and giving stuff to GameStop employees.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ninja-Hippo

XVision84
Why yes, yes you did.

XVision84
"Bribe" my ass. Get a grip. Ubisoft sent some promo artwork to game stores to promote their game. The f*ck is wrong with you?
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts

Why should we be angry at this?

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Big deal.Its a f*ckin painting.

I am sure a scan will be available on the internet after a while.Print it and frame it.

There,you too have a dumb poster like those gamestop employees!

call_of_duty_10

Did you read a single thing in the OP?

I don't care about the poster, I care about Ubisoft's fan treatment. 

I'm not the only fan showing disdain too, there are a lot of them.

Perhaps you might not care, but if your favorite franchise is being milked and rehashed, and pretty much all the fans are telling Ubisoft what to do to fix the games, but they don't listen and give away stuff to GameStop employees, it will get frustrating. You're pretty much watching a great series with great potential go down the toilet.

Here's a way to think about it: let's say that Jerry owned a breadstore. He gave bread to Barney to sell. People who love Jerry's bread tell him that he can add in parmesan to make it taste better. Jerry gives his bread-loving fans the middle finger and keeps on making the same old bread. Then, Jerry proceeds to give Barney free stuff while Jerry's fans get nothing. See the problem?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ninja-Hippo

Here's a way to think about it: let's say that Jerry owned a breadstore. He gave bread to Barney to sell. People who love Jerry's bread tell him that he can add in parmesan to make it taste better. Jerry gives his bread-loving fans the middle finger and keeps on making the same old bread. Then, Jerry proceeds to give Barney free stuff while Jerry's fans get nothing. See the problem?

XVision84
Meanwhile Arnold was out making friends, playing vidya and generally enjoying his life. He didn't care for bread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

Ninja-Hippo

Why yes, yes you did.

XVision84

"Bribe" my ass. Get a grip. Ubisoft sent some promo artwork to game stores to promote their game. The f*ck is wrong with you?

It's like you're just taking everything I'm saying, throwing it out the window, and then telling me I'm wrong.

You know if you're arguing with someone, you're generally supposed to prove them wrong instead of ignoring everything they said. Otherwise it's just trolling.

Maybe instead of cursing and calling me crazy, you should try reading my previous comments and tell me why you think they're wrong. Then I'll take you seriously.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lundy86_4  Online

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

XVision84

Nah man, I'm just saying that I wish Ubisoft would at least give stuff to fans as well.

Like I said before, they're ignoring their fanbase and giving stuff to GameStop employees.

I'd hardly call it "ignoring the fans". Beyond mere monetary gain, they are bringing a game that people want. Assassin's Creed sells.

Do you want free DLC? Limited Editions for the cost of a regular edition? This was a gift. I just think this is a tad overboard.

----

It's not like this kind of thing doesn't happen with reviewer gifts. These people are promoting their product.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

Ninja-Hippo

Meanwhile Arnold was out making friends, playing vidya and generally enjoying his life. He didn't care for bread.

I'm sure Arnolds a nice guy, but this isn't about Arnold. This is about Barney, Jerry, and the bread fans. 

You do know you can be a fan of something and not dedicate your life to it, right?

If you think just because I was an Assassin's Creed fan that I worshipped the franchise and made it my religion, then...I really don't know what to say.

You're no stranger to these forums, you've seen people that are angry about developers that are doing exactly what Ubisoft is doing now. Don't act like this is new to you.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ninja-Hippo

I'm sure Arnolds a nice guy, but this isn't about Arnold. This is about Barney, Jerry, and the bread fans.XVision84

The **** am I reading? :lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

I'd hardly call it "ignoring the fans". Beyond mere monetary gain, they are bringing a game that people want. Assassin's Creed sells.

Do you want free DLC? Limited Editions for the cost of a regular edition? This was a gift. I just think this is a tad overboard.

----

It's not like this kind of thing doesn't happen with reviewer gifts. These people are promoting their product.

Yes, I do admit I was a little too angry, and no I don't really expect free DLC or anything like that. 

AC fans are just feeling short handed is all, it seems like Ubisoft doesn't even care about their fans at all.

I know a lot of people that were fans of AC (like me) but slowly began to ignore the franchise because Ubisoft isn't listening to anything the fans have to say.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

I'm sure Arnolds a nice guy, but this isn't about Arnold. This is about Barney, Jerry, and the bread fans.Ninja-Hippo

The **** am I reading? :lol:

My ingenious story about bread, betrayal, and bribes :P

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
How is this a bad thing? Why aren't people that work at a crappy job allowed to get a gift?
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

XVision84

----

Yes, I do admit I was a little too angry, and no I don't really expect free DLC or anything like that. 

AC fans are just feeling short handed is all, it seems like Ubisoft doesn't even care about their fans at all.

I know a lot of people that were fans of AC (like me) but slowly began to ignore the franchise because Ubisoft isn't listening to anything the fans have to say.

Time for a life lesson, kids. Creators *shouldn't* listen to fans. Creators who *do* listen to fans are hacks. BioWare going back and adding a new DLC ending to Mass Effect 3 because the fans said it sucked. Can you imagine Larry David going back and doing an extra ten minutes of Seinfeld because people didn't like the finale? Can you imagine shooting an extra 'alternate ending' to the Sopranos? Whether you love or hate them, they're infamous pieces of history and works of art in their own right, and people will be talking about them for years. The creation of something worth creating is not the result of fan consensus. You have to have a vision and stick by it. You have to have artistic credibility and integrity. Simply yielding to whatever some neckbeard on a gaming forum says would make your game better doesn't make it a game. It's a committee. Stick to your guns and create a race horse. Listen to every whiney man-child with an opinion and you end up with a camel.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lundy86_4  Online

XVision84

Yeah, there are definitely issues with Ubisoft, and how they are handling these games. Though, I think this is a really cool gesture.

However, I do agree, that it would be nice if they did something like this for the fans... Even if it were just the individuals who bought all the games, or completed a certain amount of the games. Would be cool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

----

Ninja-Hippo

Time for a life lesson, kids. Creators *shouldn't* listen to fans. Creators who *do* listen to fans are hacks. BioWare going back and adding a new DLC ending to Mass Effect 3 because the fans said it sucked. Can you imagine Larry David going back and doing an extra ten minutes of Seinfeld because people didn't like the finale? Can you imagine shooting an extra 'alternate ending' to the Sopranos? Whether you love or hate them, they're infamous pieces of history and works of art in their own right, and people will be talking about them for years. The creation of something worth creating is not the result of fan consensus. You have to have a vision and stick by it. You have to have artistic credibility and integrity. Simply yielding to whatever some neckbeard on a gaming forum says would make your game better doesn't make it a game. It's a committee. Stick to your guns and create a race horse. Listen to every whiney man-child with an opinion and you end up with a camel.

I see where you're coming from and I do agree that sometimes devs shouldn't listen to whining fans. I respected Mass Effect 3 and its ending because clearly they at least put effort into it and tried to give off a sort of message.

BUT, there are those times where people DO have to listen to fan input. There's a reason why people have playtesting, you've got to be nuts to think that developers don't actually consider what the fans have to think about their game. Some developers take what the fans have to say, notice some problems with their game, fix it, and release a stellar sequel.

Other developers see what the fans have to say, notice the problems, then continue to ignore them and release another crappy entry in the series. Bioware listened to the fans and added in more RPG elements in ME3 which is something that many gamers including me enjoyed.

Here's another life lesson for you mate, sometimes constructive criticism is good. If you continue making the same stuff over and over again and ignore what other people have to say, then how do you think you're going to get better? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

If Dwight Howard kept playing basketball the way he's playing, and ignore what people are saying about his free throw percentage, he's never going to be a better player. IF he works on his free throws and ends up with a higher percentage, he'll be a better asset to the team, he'll be a better player, and I'm sure he'll be a lot happier too seeing as how he'll actually make the free throws instead of missing everything. 

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

If Dwight Howard kept playing basketball the way he's playing, and ignore what people are saying about his free throw percentage, he's never going to be a better player. IF he works on his free throws and ends up with a higher percentage, he'll be a better asset to the team, he'll be a better player, and I'm sure he'll be a lot happier too seeing as how he'll actually make the free throws instead of missing everything. 

XVision84
Do you think Dwight Howard cares? It doesnt matter how awful he plays, hes still the best center in the league and sleeps on top of mountains made of money. Most athletes dont care about winning, its all about how much money they can milk from the owners in their short careers. AC is the same thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

mems_1224

Do you think Dwight Howard cares? It doesnt matter how awful he plays, hes still the best center in the league and sleeps on top of mountains made of money. Most athletes dont care about winning, its all about how much money they can milk from the owners in their short careers. AC is the same thing.

Exactly, and that's the problem here. Ubisoft doesn't care, that means that I dislike Ubisoft. That's all that's happening here.

Dwight's still getting flak from his team though, maybe he doesn't care, but the Lakers could be a lot better if he played at a higher level.

The guys that do care about winning are the ones that are respected and recognized. See my point?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#47 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol ubisoft makes better games then ea ,   

eas only good games are sims battlefield and nfs ,  ubisoft has driver rayman watchdogs tom clancy games etc so your just butthurt they support nintendo lol

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#48 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

SOO gamestop/ubisoft has partner up? SHOCKING

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
[QUOTE="XVision84"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

----

Ninja-Hippo

This is where you lost my support most art isnt art most art is called such because a few people with cats stuck up their asses pervey the item and claimed it was art. me3 is a game its ending sucked. seinfeld sucked as a whole and typical italian mafia show had a s*** ending.. P.S: do you know that camels and llama have been used for transport likely longer then horse and that camels are faster in the deserts then horses?
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Are you actually upset about that in the slightest?

Give me a break.