CracKDowN Review (good read)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Nemacyst
Member since 2007 • 1388 Posts

I just played the Crackdown demo on the Xbox360 Live Marketplace.

This game is good. It has exceeded my hype. I had originally thought this game would be 7.6-7.9 ish quality judging from the graphics but when I played the demo. It was better than what I expected. This game is certainly 8.3-8.7 quality, and it deserves it.

This game is different. It is not a GTA clone. The gameplay, doesn't involve much with killing innocent civilians. In this game, you get reduced experience from killing civilians so it's not like GTA at all. But that's not a bad thing, you get to kill gansters. Unlike most other games, this game has hundreds of gansters. There are practically 1-10 gansters on every street, and practically wherever you go. There is fighting. Why kill civilians when you can throw 10 ton cars at gansters?

It's actually a bit chaotic, and it may be "repetitive" after a while, but once you progress through the game. It keeps it away from being "repetitive".

There is a level system in this game, you can level up in -guns -driving - strength -speed and -explosives.

This is kind of like the Elder Scrolls series, you don't level up by just getting experience. You level up by what you do. So if you decide to not shoot your gun at all, and decide to just rush in and melee people. You can, and you will level up in strength. It is rather cool.

The leveling really affects the game. At the begining of this demo, you could only carry around 200 pound objects and throw them at 50 feet with your strength. But if you decide to melee people and get your strength up. It will gradually get stronger. By the maximum strength, you will be able to lift up 10 ton objects and throw them over 200 feet. So earlier in the demo, I could only carry people and throw it at people. Then trashcans.. Then buggies, then volkswagon, then midsized cars, then on to trucks/buses. It was pretty cool. By then my melee's made people literally fly, and I could throw buses for over 200 feet.

The explosions in this game are awesome. If you though GTA, GRAW, and Saints Row explosions were good, wait till you see these. The best thing about this, is you have an "explosive" skill. Where if you keep throwing grenades and killing enemies with them. Your grenades will be able to have more damage, and area of effect. The explosions get really big.

Driving is pretty cool. At first your driving sucks, and you can't turn well. I thought it was the game's car that did that but later I found out it was my Driving level. I haven't really explored this yet, but I got to the third level. And by then, I could really drive well and doing hit and runs on gansters was a piece of cake.

Although the guns in this game are quite terrible. This game has an "auto" lockon feature, which means you don't even have to really aim. Maybe that will help people, because at times you are batteling 20-30 gangsters at once and you simply can't aim at them all. But then again, maybe they are good because at the end of the Demo my gun level was only 2. While my Explosives and STR were all level 5.

The fighting went for mediocre to great, because of my levels. I really enjoyed this demo. It is easily one of the best demos out there, standing along with SC:DA, SR, LP, and THP8.

This game was great, and if you are getting this game with the Halo 3 Beta. It is definitely a good deal.

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DXGreat1_HGL
Member since 2003 • 7543 Posts
So your saying it could be an underrated gem, right?
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Nemacyst
So your saying it could be an underrated gem, right?DXGreat1_HGL
Not at all. I feel that games are hardly ever "underated" or "overated" here on gamespot. I mean, you might think it shouldn't deserve a certain score, but if you watch the reviews or read them. You will certainly agree. I feel it will score atleast an AA here on gamespot.
Opacic_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Opacic_A
Member since 2004 • 730 Posts
So your saying it could be an underrated gem, right?DXGreat1_HGL

The term you're looking for is "Diamond in the Rough"
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eastside49er
Member since 2002 • 19559 Posts

I wonder if the added Halo 3 beta will push this game over to AAA status? From what I played, the game is AAA in my book already. The demo was awesome and gave me a sense of freedom I have never felt before in a sandbox type game. With your increasing powers the city is not only horizontal, but vertical. The game ran smooth as well and looked great. The gameplay was also very well done. The fact you can target body parts is pretty cool and the physics were sweet.

Overall I would give the demo a 9.0.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19157 Posts
mmmm which do u consider better LP or Crackdown?
bluebrad1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bluebrad1974
Member since 2005 • 5162 Posts
I have to agree with the OP, the demo really surprised me. When I saw the trailers of Crackdown from E3, I thought the art style was terrible. But after playing the demo, I have to say that I really like the art style. I will be surprised if this game isn't atleast AA.
rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 rocktimusprime
Member since 2006 • 3721 Posts
What I am really liking about the demo is how your level up your character. I just finished it and was all about melee so I could throw cars. When I was able to It was just great, though some things needed to be worked out. The only main complaint would be the auto aim with the gun. It's like they wanted to use the Saints Row aiming, but add a GTA style lock on. Unfourtunatley you can not cycle through the lock ons, which would have been excellent. Another small complaint is that when you throw a car onto say, a car, it doesn't seem to do too much damage to the other. Though I believe to chalk this up to being a demo. I think if they polish up the controls, and work on the aiming this could be an extremely good game. I love the choatic feel and the action is almost non stop.
Avatar image for Mancow_wrestler
Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mancow_wrestler
Member since 2006 • 1249 Posts

I wonder if the added Halo 3 beta will push this game over to AAA status? From what I played, the game is AAA in my book already. The demo was awesome and gave me a sense of freedom I have never felt before in a sandbox type game. With your increasing powers the city is not only horizontal, but vertical. The game ran smooth as well and looked great. The gameplay was also very well done. The fact you can target body parts is pretty cool and the physics were sweet.

eastside49er
No all the beta will do is make people look at the game more. Before they announced the beta, I had very little interest in crackdown, now (after playing the demo, I'm totally buying the game with or without the beta.
rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rocktimusprime
[QUOTE="eastside49er"]

Mancow_wrestler
No all the beta will do is make people look at the game more. Before they announced the beta, I had very little interest in crackdown, now (after playing the demo, I'm totally buying the game with or without the beta.

A friend of mine showed me game videos of kicking cars and such. That sold me, the Halo 3 beta is just a bonus but I may get an invite from Bungie over the next few days for those who signed up through thier site. I haven't tried online co-op yet for the demo, but the demo shows us a very promising game.
logicbombx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 logicbombx
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts
I'll guess it will get a 7.8
eastside49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 eastside49er
Member since 2002 • 19559 Posts
[QUOTE="Mancow_wrestler"][QUOTE="eastside49er"]

rocktimusprime

A friend of mine showed me game videos of kicking cars and such. That sold me, the Halo 3 beta is just a bonus but I may get an invite from Bungie over the next few days for those who signed up through thier site. I haven't tried online co-op yet for the demo, but the demo shows us a very promising game.

A very promising game indeed. I haven't had this much fun with a sandbox game since Dead Rising. Normally the whole sandbox genre bores me, but Crackdown is flat out fun.

rocktimusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rocktimusprime
[QUOTE="rocktimusprime"][QUOTE="Mancow_wrestler"][QUOTE="eastside49er"]

eastside49er

A very promising game indeed. I haven't had this much fun with a sandbox game since Dead Rising. Normally the whole sandbox genre bores me, but Crackdown is flat out fun.

I just hope that we got the limited skills. I was close to "maxing out" my strength, and was throwing buses and trucks around. I was able to kick cars completely over and my favorite, kick gang members into the air, then target and shoot them before they hit the groud. I just hope that by the end of the Crackdown game you will be just a complete Super-human, kicking cars like they are Soccer Balls, and throwing Trucks as if you were Peyton Manning.
Mr_Prezident

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mr_Prezident
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts
[QUOTE="eastside49er"][QUOTE="rocktimusprime"][QUOTE="Mancow_wrestler"][QUOTE="eastside49er"]

rocktimusprime

A very promising game indeed. I haven't had this much fun with a sandbox game since Dead Rising. Normally the whole sandbox genre bores me, but Crackdown is flat out fun.

I just hope that we got the limited skills. I was close to "maxing out" my strength, and was throwing buses and trucks around. I was able to kick cars completely over and my favorite, kick gang members into the air, then target and shoot them before they hit the groud. I just hope that by the end of the Crackdown game you will be just a complete Super-human, kicking cars like they are Soccer Balls, and throwing Trucks as if you were Peyton Manning.

you have to upgrade to do that stuff, i punch in some codes and can do that crap and more on GTA:SA in less than 5 minutes lol. but i guess the game looks okay, but i suspect the overall package will be a letdown, demos are always promising, so in other words save your money until a lot of reviews come out and not just lemspot's review.
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts
I played it today and I disliked it personally......While I truly enjoy the graphics engine and its nifty comic book dark outlined effects on objects and characters, the gameplay is just meh to me....it feels like GTA meshed with State of Emergency's mindless fighting with a slight RPG element thrown in. I dont know....I expect this game to get about a 7.4
Avatar image for nextgengaming18
nextgengaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nextgengaming18
Member since 2006 • 2719 Posts

I kind of enjoyed the demo. I was amazed about how far you could go leveling (around level 5 you become super-human strength wise). I know that progression for the level's will be slower in the real game. But by any chance will there only be 5 levels? Also, another problem was several glitches in the game. I noticed that you could jump through poles sometimes jump through parts of buildings, I hope they fix these glitches in  the next 3 weeks before launch. I did enjoy the graphics, it felt like gta SA. I did enjoy the cartoony feel. The only thing  I fear mostly is the progression level system, the co-op mode (yes, it might be another kameo co-op), and the length of the game. It  didn't take me alot of time to almost get through all of the 1st section (I think).

I just hope that the game isn't short. Has some length to it. Maybe be longer then oblivion .

Walker34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Walker34
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts
It's pretty sweet. I'm not saying it's this unbelievable game, but it's a lot of fun. I would say it's a hidden gem and should get around an 8 or so, maybe better just on fun factor, which it definately has.  At 1st look I wasn't impressed either, but play around with it for a bit and upgrade your powers and then tell me it isn't fun.
BatmanBegins24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BatmanBegins24
Member since 2005 • 7520 Posts
Before the demo i hyped it AAA now i hype it AA.It's really fun but it seems like the type of game that critics would underrate.
Matt747uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Matt747uk
Member since 2006 • 313 Posts
7.5 - 7.9 for me

Has some aspects that I admire, but other than that it's generally boring and repetetive.
Goddamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Goddamus
Member since 2005 • 1590 Posts
i will have to agree with him here i thought the demo was awsome exceeded my expectations to bad its a timed demo. i got my acrobatic skill up pretty nicely in the demo and was able to leap buildings with a single bound, the game also felt very smooth and the buttons were intuitive, from E3 gameplay it looks as though u can transform your car in real-time although i couldn't on the demo. imo this destroys GTA and fells like a living comic book. btw i think its running at 60fps
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
i think its running at 60fpsGoddamus
It's 30, confimed by one developer in some video somewhere in the internets.
Goddamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Goddamus
Member since 2005 • 1590 Posts

[QUOTE="Goddamus"]i think its running at 60fpsFelous1
It's 30, confimed by one developer in some video somewhere in the internets.

oh well it seems to run very smoothe ne way. btw the physics in this game own

Avatar image for XboxUnderground
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XboxUnderground
Member since 2003 • 20965 Posts
from what I've played of teh demo so far I'm already amazed by it what I'd give it Graphics: 8 Gameplay: 9 Sound: 7 Value: 9 Tilt: 10
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts
Nothing beats kicking an oncoming gang truck 50 feet. :D Strength FTW!
HeHateMe_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HeHateMe_basic
Member since 2002 • 7161 Posts
i wont even play halo 3 beta, ill prob give my code away. i like sandbox games more than fps's.
whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts
I really enjoyed the game, and thought the gameplay was great ... I think it will score 8.3-8.7 as well.  But it is in no way going to score higher than GTA (not said in this thread but has in others) Gta was very revolutionary while this is of course not.  and there will be too many comparisons most of which crackdown is the lesser of the two.  For example the missions in GTA added some variety (even though doing essentially the same thing) but you could be on a boat, or dressed in another uniform, planting bombs etc.  I don't think we will see this in crackdown.  The game is a lot of fun, I just worry that it will get old quick ...... either way i'm buying it and will be a ton of fun, even if only for a few hours
The_Nemacyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Nemacyst
Before the demo i hyped it AAA now i hype it AA.It's really fun but it seems like the type of game that critics would underrate.BatmanBegins24
Yeah. I had a feeling someone would say that. Saints Row should have been a lot more than just 8.4 that game too was underated.
logicbombx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 logicbombx
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts
nailed it