Crackdown 3 - Cloudgine + Azure = Cloud Powaah!

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Scipio8 (927 posts) -

Microsoft revealed Crackdown 3 at their E3 press conference

http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/events-crackdown-e3

When it was released in 2007, the original “Crackdown” took the Xbox 360 by storm. Players all over the world spent countless hours running, driving, and leaping around Pacific City. Whether they were taking down gangs or collecting those sweet agility orbs, fans couldn’t get enough. Now, the groundbreaking, hyper-powered world of “Crackdown” is back in stunning fashion with an all-new “Crackdown” experience for Xbox One.

Developed by original creator Dave Jones, “Crackdown” on Xbox One will deliver unrivaled verticality, cooperative mayhem and destruction. Whether you’re playing the Campaign with friends or enjoying an entirely new competitive “Crackdown” experience powered by Xbox Live, you’ll never look at an open-world game the same way again. Best of all, “Crackdown” leverages Xbox Live to power a city which isn’t just an exciting place to play, but is a part of your destructive arsenal.

But an interesting detail was revealed during the panel discussion after the media briefing. Crackdown 3 will be using the cloud to power the in-game destruction and other augmented effect. This will be a game like no other as it uses the Microsoft cloud to power the entire city on a massive scale. How will it do this? By using the Cloudgine middleware and Microsoft Azure "leveraging the immense power available within data centres, computationally intensive game components such as physics and A.I. can be supercharged in order to deliver game experiences that go well beyond what any console or PC can offer now or in the future." Cloudgine announced they are working with Xbox One on the Crackdown 3 project. This will raise the bar beyond anything on any console game to date. Massive universe, massive destruction and unparalleled gameplay thanks to the power of the cloud- make no mistake this is going to be one heck of a game. GAME ON!

http://www.cloudgine.com/projects.html

Crackdown for Xbox One

Cloudgine are delighted to announce that they are working with Microsoft on the upcoming title, Crackdown for Xbox One!

We are immensely excited about this project and the opportunity to create an entirely new experience in the Crackdown universe, one which we truly believe will set a new bar for open-world gaming.

#2 Edited by clyde46 (49048 posts) -

More PR bullshit, great...

#3 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (1475 posts) -

Neogaf already beat you to it. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834186

That being said, I will believe it when I see it in action.

#4 Posted by R3FURBISHED (12336 posts) -

The original Crackdown was such a fun game! The second Crackdown was nothing more than a cash grab and downright bad game.

I am expecting a return to form with Crackdown 3.

#5 Edited by lglz1337 (4942 posts) -

dat cloud powah

#6 Posted by KungfuKitten (24441 posts) -

It will almost look like a PC game!

#7 Posted by m3dude1 (2243 posts) -

looks like cgi to me

#8 Posted by mikhail (2697 posts) -

This is about as absurd as Sony's past claims about how multiple cell processors in your home would make games on PlayStation look better.

#9 Edited by m3dude1 (2243 posts) -

yeah, anyone who still buys into the cloud bs is just being willfully ignorant tbh. its almost as bad as the people who believed the ps2 could actually be used to launch and guide missiles.

#10 Posted by shawn30 (4383 posts) -

@crashnburn281 said:

Neogaf already beat you to it. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834186

That being said, I will believe it when I see it in action.

Yep. MS, prove it. Just that simple. Having said that, with the original creator involved and likely a long dev time, I have great expectations and can't wait. Crackdown 1 is one of the ten best games I have ever played.

#11 Posted by gfxpipeline (471 posts) -

@mikhail said:

This is about as absurd as Sony's past claims about how multiple cell processors in your home would make games on PlayStation look better.

@m3dude1 said:

yeah, anyone who still buys into the cloud bs is just being willfully ignorant tbh. its almost as bad as the people who believed the ps2 could actually be used to launch and guide missiles.

LOL...making crap up to pretend to mad about it.

So pathetic.

#12 Edited by mikhail (2697 posts) -

@gfxpipeline: You don't remember Sony's claims about Cell at the E3 before PS3 was released? You were probably too young to remember, I'm guessing.

#13 Posted by m3dude1 (2243 posts) -

was it the ps3? oops thought it was older than that

#14 Edited by edwardecl (2240 posts) -

Did I fall a asleep or something... when did Microsoft show off cloud in any one of their titles to be released?

#15 Posted by mikhail (2697 posts) -

It almost doesn't even matter if the cloud stuff is legitimate or not. In a post-Saints Row IV world, Crackdown looks like uninspired garbage. This isn't 2006, Microsoft.

#16 Edited by edwardecl (2240 posts) -
@mikhail said:

It almost doesn't even matter if the cloud stuff is legitimate or not. In a post-Saints Row IV world, Crackdown looks like uninspired garbage. This isn't 2006, Microsoft.

Saints Row... that's pretty low standards. And it does matter if the cloud stuff is legitimate... they having been talking about it since before the console was released and shown almost nothing other than shitty tech demos. Bit like the Kinect tech demo that supposedly showed heart rate and oxygen levels from looking at your skin... obviously total bullshit because they have not talked about it since.

#17 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

The buildings crashing down in the Crackdown 3 demo were very reminiscent of The Cloud demo bringing down Sony's HQ.

#18 Posted by edwardecl (2240 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

The buildings crashing down in the Crackdown 3 demo were very reminiscent of The Cloud demo bringing down Sony's HQ.

Looked like shitty CGI to me.

#19 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

O h great just when I think MS is finally getting there shit together they do this, enough with the cloud BS.

#20 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Uh, ok. Cheers then mate!

#21 Posted by kuu2 (10169 posts) -

Can't wait! To bad this is a 2015 game and not this year.

#22 Posted by ttboy (520 posts) -

@mikhail said:

@gfxpipeline: You don't remember Sony's claims about Cell at the E3 before PS3 was released? You were probably too young to remember, I'm guessing.

Azure is very real and this is coming whether you agree with it or not. Azure cloud tech is number 1 in the industry as of last years benchmarks. They beat Amazon, HP and Google to name a few. This will be something that Sony cannot match...

If you don't believe in cloud computing you sound like the guy who says that the world is still flat.

#23 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

xbox is using cartoon art style to hide their shitty graphics lately.

#24 Posted by SecretPolice (31599 posts) -

Crackdown 3 with cloud powah baby will trounce anything The Bore tries to put up against it... That's the Fact Jack. :P

#25 Edited by mikhail (2697 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

and PS4 is using "cinematic aspect ratios" (black bars), motion blur, and low resolution to hide the fact that the PS4 is underpowered...just like the Xbox One is. These new consoles are garbage.

#26 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

and PS4 is using "cinematic aspect ratios" (black bars), motion blur, and low resolution to hide the fact that the PS4 is underpowered...just like the Xbox One is. These new consoles are garbage.

lol pc sucks. it has no good games. go put together another petition to play a last gen game lol. can your all powerful rig play red dead? uncharted? mgs4? lol no and it never will. now go cry on your lonely single player rig.

#27 Posted by foxhound_fox (96571 posts) -

Most people bought Crackdown for the Halo 3 beta key.

I bought it and loved it well after that.

#28 Posted by mikhail (2697 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

lol pc sucks. it has no good games.

That is just an ignorant thing to say. Not only are most games multiplatform and come out on everything, but there are a ton of exclusives that aren't available on ANY console, either.

Pathetic attempt at trolling.

#29 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

That is just an ignorant thing to say. Not only are most games multiplatform and come out on everything, but there are a ton of exclusives that aren't available on ANY console, either.

nothing good on pc. if a game was any good it would be on consoles because thats where it makes money. pc is where 3rd rate leftover crap goes to die. ohh look a stupid 2 hour game about running away from a tree made by some goof in Romania, where should we put it? pc. lol.

#30 Posted by ttboy (520 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

nothing good on pc. if a game was any good it would be on consoles because thats where it makes money. pc is where 3rd rate leftover crap goes to die. ohh look a stupid 2 hour game about running away from a tree made by some goof in Romania, where should we put it? pc. lol.

Thats pretty accurate. Despite being called the master race PC gamers really get console hand me downs. They should be called the red headed step child of gaming. There are very few games that Console gamers want from the PC. The witcher is one such game.

#31 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@ttboy said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Thats pretty accurate. Despite being called the master race PC gamers really get console hand me downs. They should be called the red headed step child of gaming. There are very few games that Console gamers want from the PC. The witcher is one such game.

the only pc game i was ever interested in was STALKER, and I never had to make a petition to get it because theres so much better games on consoles to keep me happy.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#32 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

Always-online clowd powwa in 2016.

Xbox One: Just Wait.

#33 Posted by sts106mat (24149 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

still spending your time posting about games you can't play lol

#34 Posted by Heil68 (57687 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

#35 Posted by Scipio8 (927 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

still spending your time posting about games you can't play lol

Lol @GrenadeLauncher "always-online" posting rubbish about games he can't play

#36 Posted by freedomfreak (49741 posts) -

oh boy

da clawd

#37 Edited by Scipio8 (927 posts) -

The destruction from 2:10 in the Crackdown 3 trailer is impressive man I keep watching it again and again. Reminds me of this demo at TechEd just two months ago. Awesome sauce!

Loading Video...

#38 Posted by cainetao11 (32332 posts) -

Hey I hope so. But honestly, just stop with the power of the cloud stuff. If a game shows up with something amazing and its because of cloud computation, then talk about it. But all the talk before hand is just putting a target on the game for failure. I am glad the original creator is back, I really liked the first game. The second wasn't bad, but it was just well, mediocre. I love the Crackdown art style, and the narrator or Agency guy. The other interesting thing from the post briefing was Spencer's candidness. He flat out said they didn't give the team enough time with Crackdown 2. But after playing it I wonder if time was as big a problem as lack of creativity on it.

#39 Posted by cainetao11 (32332 posts) -

@mikhail said:

I don't know if he's a cow, but some of them really do have selective amnesia about Sony's BS. They just memory wipe it out.

#40 Posted by ttboy (520 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

Hey I hope so. But honestly, just stop with the power of the cloud stuff. If a game shows up with something amazing and its because of cloud computation, then talk about it. But all the talk before hand is just putting a target on the game for failure. I am glad the original creator is back, I really liked the first game. The second wasn't bad, but it was just well, mediocre. I love the Crackdown art style, and the narrator or Agency guy. The other interesting thing from the post briefing was Spencer's candidness. He flat out said they didn't give the team enough time with Crackdown 2. But after playing it I wonder if time was as big a problem as lack of creativity on it.

Why can't we discuss new technology and any impact in gaming. This is done a lot on here. We don't wait until a game ships and shows it ...

#41 Posted by edwardecl (2240 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@edwardecl said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Uh, ok. Cheers then mate!

What I'm getting at is there is no live demo of a game that uses 'cloud' physics. Show us the games don't tell us about them.

#42 Posted by delta3074 (19932 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Not really, my mate works for Pheonix IT and they use MS azure and he couldn't speak highly enough about the Extra compute power thats available to there company now.

they are also using it to monitor and run the complex IT systems used in the cars on F1.

#43 Edited by Scipio8 (927 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

People talk about resolution all the time which has zero value for gameplay, this is something that will truly enhance gaming. We already see what it can do in Forza 5 (Drivatars) and TitanFall (dedicated servers and bots). This will take it to the next level.

#44 Posted by edwardecl (2240 posts) -

"dedicated servers and bots" wow that's a new concept...

#45 Edited by BeardMaster (1686 posts) -

crackdown 2 sucked, first time ive ever bought a video game and felt swindled. It wasnt just a bad game. It was the same game i already paid $60 for, except i paid another $60 to play it again. The fact that MS even uses the crackdown name after that debacle, grinds my gears.

#46 Posted by SecretPolice (31599 posts) -

@BeardMaster said:

crackdown 2 sucked, first time ive ever bought a video game and felt swindled. It wasnt just a bad game. It was the same game i already paid $60 for, except i paid another $60 to play it again.

Buyer beware man, I loved the first and was pumped for the second but I saw the writing on the wall and skipped the second one. In fairness, I feel ya man, it sucks when you feel ripped off, they should have never released that game as a sequel but rather as a DLC or something for like 10 bucks max.

#47 Edited by cainetao11 (32332 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@mikhail said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

The stupidest thing ever posted.

#48 Posted by edwardecl (2240 posts) -

The only thing i did like in the trailer was "DMA FUEL" on the tanker... a reference to Rockstar's former name.

#49 Posted by Scipio8 (927 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

"dedicated servers and bots" wow that's a new concept...

Yes, for consoles. You couldn't do TitanFall on peer to peer. The AI for the bots is calculated in the cloud.

#50 Posted by BeardMaster (1686 posts) -

crackdown 2 sucked, first time ive ever bought a video game and felt swindled. It wasnt just a bad game. It was the same game i already paid $60 for, except i paid another $60 to play it again.

@delta3074 said:

@clyde46 said:

Not really, my mate works for Pheonix IT and they use MS azure and he couldn't speak highly enough about the Extra compute power thats available to there company now.

they are also using it to monitor and run the complex IT systems used in the cars on F1.

well cloud computing is something, i work in IT and we execute all our code on remote servers.... as any IT company would. But I give the command to execute the code, maybe 30 seconds to an hour later its done. But in a game that needs data 30 to 60 times a seconds, you cant process anything besides the most basic of routines. Which is why i doubt the cloud will ever amount to anything. And its not the server, but the latency. You can build a server that can take hours worth of computation and do it in a millisecond. But you can never remove the latency.