Cows, how many more units does PS3 have to sell than 360 for ownage?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nnavidson
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts

NPD numbers are out tomorrow.  How many more units does PS3 have to sell than 360 for ownage in your opinion?

1 more?

10,000 more?

100,000 more?

Avatar image for TheCrimsonKoopa
TheCrimsonKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TheCrimsonKoopa
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts
One more, I guess. 
xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xxThyLordxx
Member since 2007 • 3200 Posts
do sales matter that much?
chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chrismunx
Member since 2003 • 3964 Posts

NPD numbers are out tomorrow.  How many more units does PS3 have to sell than 360 for ownage in your opinion?

1 more?

10,000 more?

100,000 more?

nnavidson

It's the fact of if the PS3 does outsell the 360 in any way, that is concidered ownage. At least that's what people are saying.

pminooei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pminooei
Member since 2003 • 1076 Posts
anything above 1 more...
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nnavidson

do sales matter that much?xxThyLordxx

Sales end up translating towards everything in the end.  PS2 was hard to program for and weakest graphically last generation.  It still ended up the winner because a higher install base brought more games.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
One more, I guess. TheCrimsonKoopa
what's funny is that the cows will cry victory....not realizing it'll only take about 10 million more months like that in order to surpass the 360.....:?
chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chrismunx

[QUOTE="TheCrimsonKoopa"]One more, I guess. Omni-Slash
what's funny is that the cows will cry victory....not realizing it'll only take about 10 million more months like that in order to surpass the 360.....:?

This coming from a mod :lol:

nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nnavidson
[QUOTE="nnavidson"]

1 more?

10,000 more?

100,000 more?

chrismunx

It's the fact of if the PS3 does outself the 360 in any way, that is concidered ownage. At least that's what people are saying.

Let's say the PS3 sells 10,000 more than the 360.  If that continued to be the case, the PS3 wouldn't catch up with the 360 install base until well after next generation.

mr_pops238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mr_pops238
Member since 2006 • 3980 Posts

When it sells just even 1 more, than that is massive ownage.

But we all know in the long run, Sony will sell over 100 million PS3s while microsoft only sells 40 million 360s tops.

wii flops with 12 million sold.

xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xxThyLordxx

[QUOTE="xxThyLordxx"]do sales matter that much?nnavidson

Sales end up translating towards everything in the end. PS2 was hard to program for and weakest graphically last generation. It still ended up the winner because a higher install base brought more games.

it sold more because it had good games.

so dont worry about sales, worry about good games to bring sales.

when you get good games you get more sales and when you get more sales, you get more good games.
diggyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 diggyzoom
Member since 2005 • 19616 Posts
According to quite a few lemmings , it would be impossible for a $600 console with no games to outsell a $400 console with a killer app and tons of games. Everytime I suggest that there is the possibility that the ps3 might outsell the 360 in NA I get laughed at by them.

So I guess there is your answer.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Can't cry ownage for at least another year. We need to see how the next gen consoles fair after a year of them all launching.
xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xxThyLordxx

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"][QUOTE="TheCrimsonKoopa"]One more, I guess. chrismunx

This coming from a mod :lol:

I know. lol.
poopinloop32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 poopinloop32
Member since 2006 • 4949 Posts
[QUOTE="TheCrimsonKoopa"]One more, I guess. Omni-Slash

Victory!
reilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 reilo
Member since 2004 • 1131 Posts
[QUOTE="TheCrimsonKoopa"]One more, I guess. Omni-Slash

It wouldn't be generation winner ownage, but it would be ownage for that said sales period, because lemmings have some asinine believe that the PS3 is incapable of outselling their mighty X360 -- in any shape or form.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
Victory!poopinloop32
Tacos!.......damn...now I'm hungry....
chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chrismunx
[QUOTE="chrismunx"][QUOTE="nnavidson"]

1 more?

10,000 more?

100,000 more?

nnavidson

It's the fact of if the PS3 does outself the 360 in any way, that is concidered ownage. At least that's what people are saying.

Let's say the PS3 sells 10,000 more than the 360.  If that continued to be the case, the PS3 wouldn't catch up with the 360 install base until well after next generation.

We all know that won't happen any time soon. But it's the fact that fanboys or Lemmings alike claim that with the price tag that the PS3 has, it wouldn't stand a chance of outselling the 360. If this does happen....well you get the idea...

nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nnavidson

Can't cry ownage for at least another year. We need to see how the next gen consoles fair after a year of them all launching.Ibacai

I think this is the most logical assuming there isn't a huge gap, 200,000 plus units or so.

Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts
According to quite a few lemmings , it would be impossible for a $600 console with no games to outsell a $400 console with a killer app and tons of games. Everytime I suggest that there is the possibility that the ps3 might outsell the 360 in NA I get laughed at by them.

diggyzoom

Well if you look at it logically...it shouldn't happen :|
kiruyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 kiruyama
Member since 2006 • 1205 Posts

When it sells just even 1 more, than that is massive ownage.

But we all know in the long run, Sony will sell over 100 million PS3s while microsoft only sells 40 million 360s tops.

wii flops with 12 million sold.

mr_pops238
Sounds like someone is stuck in the past. Sony isn't going to win this generation, get over it, just like all the sheep had to get over Nintendo not winning the N64 gen. And for the PS3 to outsell the 360 by even one would be ownage in the eyes of the cows. Of course, as already stated, that won't change the fact it hasn't even sold 1/4 of what the 360 has even though it's had almost 4 months.
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nnavidson
[QUOTE="nnavidson"][QUOTE="chrismunx"][QUOTE="nnavidson"]

1 more?

10,000 more?

100,000 more?

chrismunx

We all know that won't happy any time soon. But it's the fact that fanboys or Lemmings alike claim that with the price tag that the PS3 has, it wouldn't stand a chance of outselling the 360. If this does happen....well you get the idea...

The thing is, and this is coming from someone who's a huge 360 supporter, I suspect that the PS3 will sell as well as the 360, maybe around 50,00 more or less for a while until either platform has a huge stand out title.

diggyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 diggyzoom
Member since 2005 • 19616 Posts
[QUOTE="diggyzoom"]According to quite a few lemmings , it would be impossible for a $600 console with no games to outsell a $400 console with a killer app and tons of games. Everytime I suggest that there is the possibility that the ps3 might outsell the 360 in NA I get laughed at by them.

thirstychainsaw

Things are not always what they seem on the surface level . Does history of length of support matter to anyone ? Does paying for online affect the price comparison ? Does the added value of the ps3 matter ? Which system has the games you want ? Do you spend your time praying that you get another systems' games ? Do you have a decent rig ?

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
[QUOTE="diggyzoom"]According to quite a few lemmings , it would be impossible for a $600 console with no games to outsell a $400 console with a killer app and tons of games. Everytime I suggest that there is the possibility that the ps3 might outsell the 360 in NA I get laughed at by them.

thirstychainsaw

Why not? PS3 is getting all the major series that made the PS2 so successful. Very valid reason for purchase of the console.
xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xxThyLordxx
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="diggyzoom"]According to quite a few lemmings , it would be impossible for a $600 console with no games to outsell a $400 console with a killer app and tons of games. Everytime I suggest that there is the possibility that the ps3 might outsell the 360 in NA I get laughed at by them.

diggyzoom

Things are not always what they seem on the surface level . Does history of length of support matter to anyone ? Does paying for online affect the price comparison ? Does the added value of the ps3 matter ? Which system has the games you want ? Do you spend your time praying that you get another systems' games ? Do you have a decent rig ?

lemmings are known for that. lol.
PyroXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PyroXD
Member since 2006 • 852 Posts

NPD numbers are out tomorrow. How many more units does PS3 have to sell than 360 for ownage in your opinion?

1 more?

10,000 more?

100,000 more?

nnavidson

Isnt ownage when u beat someone bad in a video game?
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="diggyzoom"]According to quite a few lemmings , it would be impossible for a $600 console with no games to outsell a $400 console with a killer app and tons of games. Everytime I suggest that there is the possibility that the ps3 might outsell the 360 in NA I get laughed at by them.

the-very-best

Why not? PS3 is getting all the major series that made the PS2 so successful. Very valid reason for purchase of the console.

Well those games aren't out now...I wouldn't really justify getting a console for games that come out later that might or might not be good.
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
Is the ps3 going to outsell the 360 at all at this point?  If the ps3 sells anymore than thats ownage in my mind
ihatebugers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 ihatebugers
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts
Time travels so slowly in SW...
Ownage is declared too soon all the time. I don't see the need to bash a system that's still getting through the hardest months of any console, especially during all the negative press it's been getting. 2007 is going to be a great year for gaming, including th PS3. It's not going to fail, but it's also not 100% that it's going to win, either. We need to stop talking in extremes for once.
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts

Lets be real folks.....The Sony fanboys have a orgasm with any piece of good news regarding the PS3.... Consoles sales could be dead last but have a multiplat game in the top 10 sales, fanboys would still claim ownage over the 360!!!! IF the PS3 were to actually surpass the Wii and 360 in sales, forums across the internet would be reduced to a stampede of moo-ing, rampant, fanboys claiming gaming was non-existant until the angelic Sony came onto the market....Blu-ray would be considered to next thing since sliced bread (regardless of how fast digital distribution is catchin on!!) and all cows would disregard all the AAA HD content/DVD-9-games on the 360 as rushed trashed because devs would start powerpacking "filler" content onto a blu-ray disk just to claim the format was needed for gaming.....

IMHO I hope the hell this travesty never occurs because a company that has done everything possible to screw up a system, doesnt deserve to be #1 anymore. Think about how gaming would be now if the N64 was the #1 system of its generation, regardless of Ninty's crucial mistakes?!?!? Overall, it would be bad for gaming.....

Game On.....

dustincrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dustincrider
Member since 2005 • 1553 Posts
haha i love how yall have pet names for each other haha i swear fanboyism is like racism for nerds lol
FatalDomain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FatalDomain
Member since 2005 • 1783 Posts

haha i love how yall have pet names for each other haha i swear fanboyism is like racism for nerds loldustincrider

Thats was actually funny.....:lol:

Game On...

dustincrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dustincrider
Member since 2005 • 1553 Posts

[QUOTE="dustincrider"]haha i love how yall have pet names for each other haha i swear fanboyism is like racism for nerds lolFatalDomain

Thats was actually funny.....:lol:

Game On...

lol i thought it was too

nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nnavidson

haha i love how yall have pet names for each other haha i swear fanboyism is like racism for nerds loldustincrider

The worst part is you spend enough time here and you start using them despite having thought they were so stupid.

Sensui1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sensui1986
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
Well, I still guess that Sony will still sell better in Europe, like it allways does. All the non-gamers will get one, and games like Guitar hero, singstar and Buzz are really making the difference. MS has not really a lot to offer for casual gamers. But on the other hand, the price lies "a little" high at the moment. But sales don't mean anything, it only means that the console attracts a bigger public. As everyone normally informs a little before purchasing a console Millions of people that bought an Xbox360 are happy with it. Millions of people that bought a PS3 are happy with it. And millions of people that bought a Wii are happy with it. What should mean that every console is good depending on your taste of games. What fanboys don't realise is that everyone got their opinions and there are no facts saying there is a best console.
rarsi123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rarsi123
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts

Lets be real folks.....The Sony fanboys have a orgasm with any piece of good news regarding the PS3.... Consoles sales could be dead last but have a multiplat game in the top 10 sales, fanboys would still claim ownage over the 360!!!! IF the PS3 were to actually surpass the Wii and 360 in sales, forums across the internet would be reduced to a stampede of moo-ing, rampant, fanboys claiming gaming was non-existant until the angelic Sony came onto the market....Blu-ray would be considered to next thing since sliced bread (regardless of how fast digital distribution is catchin on!!) and all cows would disregard all the AAA HD content/DVD-9-games on the 360 as rushed trashed because devs would start powerpacking "filler" content onto a blu-ray disk just to claim the format was needed for gaming.....

IMHO I hope the hell this travesty never occurs because a company that has done everything possible to screw up a system, doesnt deserve to be #1 anymore. Think about how gaming would be now if the N64 was the #1 system of its generation, regardless of Ninty's crucial mistakes?!?!? Overall, it would be bad for gaming.....

Game On.....

FatalDomain
360 fans are just as bad, if not worse. I don't hate the 360, infact im not sure which next gen system to buy, but i would love to see the 360 fanboys owned. BTW, this will happen - ps3 will sell 60-70 thousand more units
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nnavidson
[QUOTE="FatalDomain"]

Lets be real folks.....The Sony fanboys have a orgasm with any piece of good news regarding the PS3.... Consoles sales could be dead last but have a multiplat game in the top 10 sales, fanboys would still claim ownage over the 360!!!! IF the PS3 were to actually surpass the Wii and 360 in sales, forums across the internet would be reduced to a stampede of moo-ing, rampant, fanboys claiming gaming was non-existant until the angelic Sony came onto the market....Blu-ray would be considered to next thing since sliced bread (regardless of how fast digital distribution is catchin on!!) and all cows would disregard all the AAA HD content/DVD-9-games on the 360 as rushed trashed because devs would start powerpacking "filler" content onto a blu-ray disk just to claim the format was needed for gaming.....

IMHO I hope the hell this travesty never occurs because a company that has done everything possible to screw up a system, doesnt deserve to be #1 anymore. Think about how gaming would be now if the N64 was the #1 system of its generation, regardless of Ninty's crucial mistakes?!?!? Overall, it would be bad for gaming.....

Game On.....

rarsi123

360 fans are just as bad, if not worse. I don't hate the 360, infact im not sure which next gen system to buy, but i would love to see the 360 fanboys owned. BTW, this will happen - ps3 will sell 60-70 thousand more units

I'm going to say that the 360 has sold 2 million in North America, although I'm sure it's more.  IF the PS3 sold 60 thousand more units that the 360, it would take them 33 months selling at the same rate to catch up with the install base.  That's a wait of over 2 and a half years to catch up, aka 6 months from 2010.  That's not ownage! 

nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nnavidson

I want to make my previous point clearer...

NPD total 360 sales to date in December 4.5 million

NPD total PS3 sales to date in Decmeber 690,000

4,500,000-690,000= 3,810,000

Let's say that the the PS3 sells 100,000 more units that the 360 every month

3,810,000/100,000= 38 months

38/12 = roughly 3 years

That means at that rate, the PS3 would catch up with the 360 in 2010.  That doesn't sound like ownage to me.

HazeNPopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HazeNPopes
Member since 2007 • 735 Posts
Does anyone care about sales? As long as i`m getting motorstorm, mass effect, Halo3, MGS4, Alan Wake, then i am a happy person.
Lord_Regnier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lord_Regnier
Member since 2006 • 1283 Posts
when did the PS3 start outselling the 360?
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nnavidson

Does anyone care about sales? As long as i`m getting motorstorm, mass effect, Halo3, MGS4, Alan Wake, then i am a happy person.HazeNPopes

If you own both sales don't matter.  This is system wars though meaning the majority have picked sides and sales do matter since they are the most objective number to declare a "winner".

nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nnavidson

when did the PS3 start outselling the 360?Lord_Regnier

We don't know if it has yet.  I'm just trying to make the point that PS3 has to outsell the 360 by large numbers if it's going to become the "winner" this generation.

Sensui1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sensui1986
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts

[QUOTE="HazeNPopes"]Does anyone care about sales? As long as i`m getting motorstorm, mass effect, Halo3, MGS4, Alan Wake, then i am a happy person.nnavidson

If you own both sales don't matter. This is system wars though meaning the majority have picked sides and sales do matter since they are the most objective number to declare a "winner".

not really, there are a lot of factors that influence the sales. Higher sales only means that it attracts more people, not that it is a better console for every kind of gamer.
nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nnavidson
[QUOTE="nnavidson"]

[QUOTE="HazeNPopes"]Does anyone care about sales? As long as i`m getting motorstorm, mass effect, Halo3, MGS4, Alan Wake, then i am a happy person.Sensui1986

If you own both sales don't matter. This is system wars though meaning the majority have picked sides and sales do matter since they are the most objective number to declare a "winner".

not really, there are a lot of factors that influence the sales. Higher sales only means that it attracts more people, not that it is a better console for every kind of gamer.

Yes, but some people loved Sega Saturn.  It in no way won the generation.  Same thing with N64.  It had great games.  I still play them today while the old PS1 games feel unplayable to me.  PS1 still won it's generation.

Winning the generation doesn't mean that the other systems are a poor purchase.  The best team doesn't always win, but there has to be a winner.  Unit sales is an objective start to that argument.  If all the systems sold equally well, then we'd need to find another criteria.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

Lets be real folks.....The Sony fanboys have a orgasm with any piece of good news regarding the PS3.... Consoles sales could be dead last but have a multiplat game in the top 10 sales, fanboys would still claim ownage over the 360!!!! IF the PS3 were to actually surpass the Wii and 360 in sales, forums across the internet would be reduced to a stampede of moo-ing, rampant, fanboys claiming gaming was non-existant until the angelic Sony came onto the market....Blu-ray would be considered to next thing since sliced bread (regardless of how fast digital distribution is catchin on!!) and all cows would disregard all the AAA HD content/DVD-9-games on the 360 as rushed trashed because devs would start powerpacking "filler" content onto a blu-ray disk just to claim the format was needed for gaming.....

IMHO I hope the hell this travesty never occurs because a company that has done everything possible to screw up a system, doesnt deserve to be #1 anymore. Think about how gaming would be now if the N64 was the #1 system of its generation, regardless of Ninty's crucial mistakes?!?!? Overall, it would be bad for gaming.....

Game On.....

FatalDomain

fanboy