Could you only game on a handheld?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

I noticed I recently have only been playing my 3DS. The last console game I played and enjoyed was Metroid Prime and didnt even finish it.

Anyways that got me thinking... I dont think I would mind having a 3DS as my only source of gaming. There is already a list of games I havent played yet and more to come. There is also the backlog of DS games that I havent touched.

The console games coming out just dont seem to intrest me much anymore. Maybe im getting bored with this gen and want something new.

Would anyone else be fine only having a handheld like the Vita or 3DS?

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
I played just my DS for a few months. I eventually ran out of good games to play though...
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Have I done it before? Yeah, for the longest time I was just like you, I played so much on handhelds that my consoles went untouched for weeks. But now, now there's no way I could be a handheld gamer only. The variety just isn't there that consoles/PCs provide.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

I was at a gamestore yesterday to try out the 3DS and it was a horrible experience. First of all the 3D was really hard on the eyes. And the game was so simplistically boring I only played it 1 minute and left.

I like the Vita, but I would miss my PS3 way too much with all the awesome exclusive games that it has and are coming out

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I was at a gamestore yesterday to try out the 3DS and it was a horrible experience. First of all the 3D was really hard on the eyes. Davekeeh

That's because the 3D effect was made for ages 7 and older.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#6 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

If all the consoles have terrible BS like anti-used games technology on them, then yeah I could move on to handhelds.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Hells no. I barely touch my DS now and made the mistake of selling my 3DS when there was no games. Morale is I'm terrible at keeping stuff with little value to my needs. I much prefer console games, find them more immersive and a lot better quality. To the people who only game on handhelds or phone, all the power to you.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Well for a while I played only psp, I also had a wii but I didn't play it and eventually sold it because it was useless.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RyanShazam

Have I done it before? Yeah, for the longest time I was just like you, I played so much on handhelds that my consoles went untouched for weeks. But now, now there's no way I could be a handheld gamer only. The variety just isn't there that consoles/PCs provide. Blabadon

I feel that the 3DS/DS has a big enough library to keep me interested for a while.

Im not going to get rid of my consoles though :P Something might suprise me.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RyanShazam

I was at a gamestore yesterday to try out the 3DS and it was a horrible experience. First of all the 3D was really hard on the eyes. And the game was so simplistically boring I only played it 1 minute and left.

I like the Vita, but I would miss my PS3 way too much with all the awesome exclusive games that it has and are coming out

Davekeeh

Get glasses or turn off the 3D. Doesn't take a genius to move the slider down... Well maybe in your case it does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

RyanShazam

Get glasses or turn off the 3D. Doesn't take a genius to move the slider down... Well maybe in your case it does.

Sorry I have perfect vision it's the 3DS not me

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

if handhelds were the only way to play video games then I wouldn't be a gamer right now.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

Davekeeh

Well if you have perfect vision why did you miss the second half of my post?

You having a problem with the 3D is your fault not the handhelds fault.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 superclocked

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

Davekeeh

Like he said, you missed the little slider on the side that adjusts the screens perfectly to eliminate any strain on the eyes ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

I was at a gamestore yesterday to try out the 3DS and it was a horrible experience. First of all the 3D was really hard on the eyes. Blabadon

If the 3D was made for ages 7 and older then why aren't the games made for 7 and older???

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I could, I rarely use my 360, and I don't have a whole bunch of time to play on my PC. The 3DS is kicking ass right now, more and more good games coming out. The DS/3DS also have more exclusives than the 360/ps3 combined. I'm not even going to get the next xbox, the amount of games is just way too small on both ps3 and 360.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

RyanShazam

Why would i want a 3DS without the 3D? LOL

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Nope. I like handhelds, but nope.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lundy86_4

Davekeeh

For the games. Revelations was a blast, even without the 3D (the 3D hurts my eyes after a few minutes).

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 YoshiYogurt

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

I was at a gamestore yesterday to try out the 3DS and it was a horrible experience. First of all the 3D was really hard on the eyes. Davekeeh

If the 3D was made for ages 7 and older then why aren't the games made for 7 and older???

I could ask the same thing about the ps3. LBP? You guys love that crap. Mario remains a challange at least and Pokemon has depth to the stats and battling. Nintendo's games appeal to all ages, something no other company can do.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 superclocked

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

Davekeeh

The slider also adjusts the screen angles so they point directly at your eyes, eliminating any eye strain. If you still have eye strain after adjusting the screens, then real life strains your eyes too...
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RyanShazam

Davekeeh

When I play Kingdom Hearts 3D, I watch the cutscenes in 3D and play the game in 2D. Its not a hard concept to grasp. I dont put the slider all the way up either.

I bet if the Vita had 3D you would think its the greatest concept ever.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

lundy86_4

For the games. Revelations was a blast, even without the 3D (the 3D hurts my eyes after a few minutes).

Seriously, Nintendo gave us the option to turn the 3D on or off. I don't see what the big deal is.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

RyanShazam

Seriously, Nintendo gave us the option to turn the 3D on or off. I don't see what the big deal is.

I actually prefer playing them without the 3D. It's cool, but I never saw the fascination with 3D.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

I actually prefer playing them without the 3D. It's cool, but I never saw the fascination with 3D.

Thats the cool thing about it. If you want 3D turn it on. If you dont want 3D turn it off.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

lundy86_4

Some people can't seem to get it through their head that its a 3D slider, not a 3D switch. they either have it cranked up, or off. Anyways, as to the topic...I get along fine a lot of the time on handhelds. In fact, while i'm waiting for something new of interest to hit the 3DS, my Vita is keeping me busy with Peace Walker, Metal Gear Solid HD collection, and Resistance. Though to be honest i'm kinda cheating. I'll transfar the metal gear games and play at home when i can.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lundy86_4

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

darkspineslayer

Some people can't seem to get it through their head that its a 3D slider, not a 3D switch. they either have it cranked up, or off. Anyways, as to the topic...I get along fine a lot of the time on handhelds. In fact, while i'm waiting for something new of interest to hit the 3DS, my Vita is keeping me busy with Peace Walker, Metal Gear Solid HD collection, and Resistance. Though to be honest i'm kinda cheating. I'll transfar the metal gear games and play at home when i can.

Yeah, it's odd. Unfortunately, I can only play sporadically with it on, on any level. Minor levels don't affect me until about 20-30 minutes in.

Still, it's nice that it's just as appealing without the 3D.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

darkspineslayer

CHEATER!!! Haha just kidding.

Have you finished a lot of the 3DS games out already? If you have, what would you recomend?

Tales of Abyss

Resident Evil: Revelations

or something else?

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

Depends on the games. It's all about the games.

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
I have found myself being a majority handheld gamer over this year in particular. I travel a lot so handheld gaming is much more convenient for me, but I would miss my home console and the kind of games that they produce so I doubt I could 100% dedicate myself to handheld gaming.
Avatar image for TomatoDragonPSN
TomatoDragonPSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TomatoDragonPSN
Member since 2012 • 535 Posts
I don't think so, but I have gone for good stretches of time just playing psp before getting back on the ps3. Handhelds compliment consoles very nicely indeed, especially with saving back and forth now.
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

Nah i couldnt, i need at least one console. i only play my psp when im on the Bus/Train and thats about it

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Sure, why not.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Probably not, but I could certainly last a while.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
I'd be fine with just a DS/3DS. TBH, I often find I have more fun with handheld titles these days than I do with any of games released on home consoles.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 YoshiYogurt
I'd be fine with just a DS/3DS. TBH, I often find I have more fun with handheld titles these days than I do with any of games released on home consoles.spike6958
Bingo, It's probably because it's so late in the gen.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#38 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

I noticed I recently have only been playing my 3DS. The last console game I played and enjoyed was Metroid Prime and didnt even finish it.

Anyways that got me thinking... I dont think I would mind having a 3DS as my only source of gaming. There is already a list of games I havent played yet and more to come. There is also the backlog of DS games that I havent touched.

The console games coming out just dont seem to intrest me much anymore. Maybe im getting bored with this gen and want something new.

Would anyone else be fine only having a handheld like the Vita or 3DS?

RyanShazam
No. But that's cool.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
If that's all there was, sure.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Yes. I've done so before.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Nope. The screens are too small. I guess handhelds are okay while I sit down and drop a load.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Possibly, but online not near a good yet, so no not really.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Yes I've been handheld only during a couple of periods, but no I also love playing on consoles.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
god no. Handheld games dont even compare to console games.
InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

As of right now, my gaming time is mostly spent on 3DS, so it would definitely be possible. Consoles today are mainly used to play pc ports and COD.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Sure I could, but I'm glad I don't have to.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Edit: ^ was thinking the same thing at the same time

I could if I had to, but I'm really glad I don't have to.