Could there be a quality ALIENS game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

While I'm perfectly happy with Alien Isolation being the best Alien-related game ever by far, I still think that ALIENS-oriented game could be made. However, there are several caveats to consider. I think there is space for a quality ALIENS game, but only provided, provided:

• Aliens are as menacing and omnipotent as in Alien Isolation, needless to say they should either kill you or grab you to Hive in one move
  • There are 5-10 Aliens at most per level
  • You never get a lot of ammunition, if you have a full clip in your pulse rifle, then you're extremely lucky
  • The weapons that you use are very rudimentary and unreliable
  • There would be a huge emphasis on scavenging, crafting and using improvised solutions
  • There should be a huge emphasis on using additional equipment and interacting with the environment
  • The game should be a 3-character cooperative effort with class-based characters, huge emphasis on cooperation
  • If you or other characters are grabbed and taken to Hive, you should be able
  • Levels should be gigantic and interconnected a'la Dark Souls / Lords of the Fallen, with you unlocking strategic hubs as you go, and making makeshift bases there as well
  • The characters and controls should be clunky
  • Hiding should still be involved

I think that even Creative Assembly could do it. Of course I'd rather have another Isolation-themed game with several improvements to its already stellar formula, but I think this could be a good idea, too. And co-op element could be outstanding, but this is of course wishful thinking at this point.

What are your thoughts?

T3H_1337_N1NJ4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By T3H_1337_N1NJ4
Member since 2005 • 2222 Posts

Just remake Aliens Vs Predator 2 with better graphics. Don't even touch the gameplay, it was perfect.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I never understood the fascination of Aliens especially by gaming community.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

The potential for a Aliens game to be as big as Skyrim or CoD exists, if they do it right.

I'm thinking co-op Colonial Marines on LV-426 in a open world. It could even turn into a coop survival RPG.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

@funsohng: It was/is a terrific film and had big influence on video games. See: Halo, Starcraft etc.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63465 Posts

@funsohng said:

Because so many video games have ripped off Aliens at this point.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26486 Posts

@funsohng said:

Cause it's literally the grandfather of science fiction horror.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I don't think an Alien game will ever be scary. The idea of being chased through an entire game by the exact same monster for 20 hours isn't appealing to me to begin with and the fact that it's the overexposed Xenomorph design doesn't help. I'm sorry, the xenomorph is not scary anymore. It simply isn't.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 8887 Posts

Well different taste and all. I think what you describe is way too hardcore for me. Dead Space 1 had a nice mix of action, horror and light survival mechanics (aka it was pretty casual). I think that kind of balance would work for an alien game as well.

Another way of saying this is I rather have Aliens, than Alien inspired games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 48371 Posts

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

2010 Alien vs predator was a pretty damn nice game especially marine campaign . Storyline is good, combat is great ( and each species has something great to offer combat wise ) , graphics and atmosphere are great ( and still holds well today ), playing as marine at higher difficulties can be stressful and bit creepy and finally the sound is absolutely brilliant ( with the exception of the constant beeping from radar though you can use a mod to disable that)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 40541 Posts

Aliens Infestation on DS was surprisingly good, I forgot all about it until I saw a new copy at GameStop for $10, picked it up. Good fun, basically an Aliens Metroidvania style game, short but sweet, and justifiable at that price. And, made by Gearbox, who completely fucked up the Colonial Marines.

No, I'd rather a next Aliens game be more action. Yes, Isolation achieved a great thing with just one xenomorph (most times anyways), it was designed to more appease the ALIEN fans and not the ALIENS fans. That's not to say you can't have action and horror mix well. I think someone like Monolith Productions would have done a better job making AVP3 than Rebellion. Gearbox might have ended up making a great Colonial Marines game if they didn't cheat Sega by punting the project off time TimeGate. Sega too shares some blame here, on part of not staying on the developers in a meaningful way, and also because they mandated that the game include human enemies and not strictly be a marines vs xenomorphs style game... either way, giving it to TimeGate was probably the death sentence.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 40541 Posts

If I had to think of an action style ALIENS kind of game, I don't feel survival horror always has to amount to low ammo and fewer enemies. There's other ways to inspire terror and still allow ammo to be utilized in meaningful ways. Instead, create a game along the lines of ALIENS in that a squad of marines enter an infested area. Say, like the game Evolve, you have different classes of marines with various skills, one can have a tracker, others a smartgun (or whatever it's called), a flame unit to repel enemies, and others with the pulse rifle and grenade launch, basically something where everyone relies on everyone else, where each person brings an essential skill for survival to the pack but isn't strong enough by themselves and relies on the cooperation and skills of others. It should be an online MP style game bringing both co-op and competitive MP into the mix like Left 4 Dead.

I do like the idea though of a huge interconnected world, that could bring a lot to the table

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts

Buy an Atari Jaguar.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 8449 Posts

AVP 1+2 where amazing games and I would most definitely welcome a remaster of both those games (especially AVP2).

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18754 Posts

@Ballroompirate: I think you may be confusing Alien for Aliens.

Alien was the horror movie, Aliens was the space marine action movie sequel.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Cosidering The upcoming Alien movie is rumored to be a sequel to Aliens, you might get something from that?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By funsohng

@Doom_HellKnight said:

@funsohng: It was/is a terrific film and had big influence on video games. See: Halo, Starcraft etc.

@jg4xchamp said:

I'm not arguing that it's not a great film, but precisely because it has spawned so many rip-offs, why even bother making a game version of it anymore?

@Ballroompirate said:

Alien, maybe. Even that is debatable. Aliens is barely horror.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26486 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@Ballroompirate: I think you may be confusing Alien for Aliens.

Alien was the horror movie, Aliens was the space marine action movie sequel.

Lawl

ArunsunK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 ArunsunK
Member since 2014 • 335 Posts

The first 2 Aliens versus Predators games did great jobs and a proper sequel to that would be awesome.

On a complete tangent why don't the Dishonored devs make a Predator only game.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I dont want many Aliens games, i want them to be rare and good. Not become and replace the Zombie games thing...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

@pelvist said:

AVP 1+2 where amazing games and I would most definitely welcome a remaster of both those games (especially AVP2).

AVP2 is nigh on impossible to get by legitimate means.

Having said that, I still prefer AVP 2000, it's a very different game and understands better what made the movies effective. AVP2 while great, is scripted.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#23 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: i really just want a good Alien Vs Predator game for the new consoles

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 14

#24 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 39121 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Aliens Infestation on DS was surprisingly good, I forgot all about it until I saw a new copy at GameStop for $10, picked it up. Good fun, basically an Aliens Metroidvania style game, short but sweet, and justifiable at that price. And, made by Gearbox, who completely fucked up the Colonial Marines.

Not just Gearbox. Shantae devs, Wayforward did it too.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@lamprey263 said:

Not just Gearbox. Shantae devs, Wayforward did it too.

Gearbox produced it. They had no hand in development. That was all Wayforward.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

I don't think an Alien game will ever be scary. The idea of being chased through an entire game by the exact same monster for 20 hours isn't appealing to me to begin with and the fact that it's the overexposed Xenomorph design doesn't help. I'm sorry, the xenomorph is not scary anymore. It simply isn't.

The Alien (I won't call it a xenomorph because that name is used incorrectly) in Isolation is damn scary.

Great game, by the way. And it's not like you're dealing with the thing 100% of the time.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

No, its impossible.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

First game needs to remove "easy, normal and hard mode" and let you only play " extremely difficult mode only. This makes game horror when you know that when you make 1 mistake then its game over.

Second, gameplay should be without cover system, without health reg and stuff like that. Gameplay needs to be realistic but smooth.

Third, map level health locations, ammo should be everytime random. Let´s say you kill Aliens but you have no ammo. You know that there are 10 locations where you could find ammo but there is only 1 ammo pack in 1 location out of 10, if you lucky, you get ammo and survive, if you go to wrong location, you dead. A whole map, AI should be different everytime you play(kinda like Left 4 Dead but more different).

4. You should have big map, location thing, characters you can use and play with and 1 big main base. There is you and 5 other survivors in base where you have all ammo and weapons. Everytime you go out then you can select if you go out with characters or yourself. If you go out with AI friendly character and he dies but you survive, then he is dead a whole game and no coming back. Also if you let characters stay in main base like a whole game then they still can die because Aliens attacks sometime your base. You have to collect some stuff from different location around the world, (like you find sentry in 1 location) and you put this sentry in your main base, you going out mission and later when you arrive back to base then you find out that aliens attacked your base but sentry you brought there helped to shoot aliens and all 5 survivors survived.

I want this game be really really hard, realistic but also very stratregy. You have map, you have missions, you can build your own base, you have storyline where some characters dies or not(depends how you play), ammo, health, alien locations are always different and stuff like that. Its kinda Dead Rising game where you have lots of characters but when they die, then they stay dead forever and gameplay changes everytime.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 uninspiredcup

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Salt_The_Fries: i really just want a good Alien Vs Predator game for the new consoles

Two problems

1. The aliens move too fast for a control pad...

In Aliens VS Predator 2000, the aliens move at lightning speed on any vertical surface, even with a mouse and keyboard they are overwhelming. I

In Aliens Vs Predator (2009) specifically designed for consoles, the aliens very slowly, crawl towards you. Also the case with Colonial Marines.

2. Being a movie takes precedence over being a game...

AVP 2000 used the license and adopted to a game setting rather than rather than directly copy paste the movie itself.

Concepts such as not knowing where the alien could come from, making them unlimited in supply and using cramp maze like dark corridors used formula's from the movie, rather than trying to be, a movie.

While Halflife promoted scripted story-telling to accompany gameplay and enhance it, Call Of Duty promoted the scripted sequences before the gameplay itself, this simplstic gameplay lends itself to the casual better as the game essentially plays itself.

A modern AVP style game (or Predator or Aliens) with a budget, will probably never be good.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

I'm sure it could easily be done. Just need a developer that gives a damn.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#31 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Two problems

1. The aliens move too fast for a control pad...

In Aliens VS Predator 2000, the aliens move at lightning speed on any vertical surface, even with a mouse and keyboard they are overwhelming. I

In Aliens Vs Predator (2009) specifically designed for consoles, the aliens very slowly, crawl towards you. Also the case with Colonial Marines.

2. Being a movie takes precedence over being a game...

AVP 2000 used the license and adopted to a game setting rather than rather than directly copy paste the movie itself.

Concepts such as not knowing where the alien could come from, making them unlimited in supply and using cramp maze like dark corridors used formula's from the movie, rather than trying to be, a movie.

While Halflife promoted scripted story-telling to accompany gameplay and enhance it, Call Of Duty promoted the scripted sequences before the gameplay itself, this simplstic gameplay lends itself to the casual better as the game essentially plays itself.

A modern AVP style game (or Predator or Aliens) with a budget, will probably never be good.

You can play just fine with a control pad mate.

sts106mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 sts106mat
Member since 2005 • 25731 Posts

nah, its not going to happen. I loved Alien Isolation, but i am not in a hurry to try a sequel.

I'd rather play a dedicated predator game now (not AVP), with you playing as the predator, or a human, or both. It'd be good to take the parkour of dying light / titanfall, set it in jungles / cities.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29739 Posts

Isolation is as good as it's going to get. Play it. Expect nothing else.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 39121 Posts

@funsohng said:

@Doom_HellKnight said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I'm not arguing that it's not a great film, but precisely because it has spawned so many rip-offs, why even bother making a game version of it anymore?

God forbid Alien(s) fans properly live their favorite license properly (much like Star Wars, James Bond, Lord of the Rings and Dragon Ball fans have).

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29404 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

@funsohng said:

This^ You have to realize that when Alien came out (1979, I believe), there was literally NOTHING like it.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7805 Posts

@santoron said:

Cosidering The upcoming Alien movie is rumored to be a sequel to Aliens, you might get something from that?

Please, God... let that movie not suck!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Doom_HellKnight said:

StarCraft and Warcraft are actually Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy clones. Blizzard originally made Warcraft as a possible Wahammer fantasy title but Games Workshop rejected it.

Some of Warhammer 40k on the other hand is hugely inspired by Alien, especially the Genestealers/Tyranids

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27357 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

The potential for a Aliens game to be as big as Skyrim or CoD exists, if they do it right.

I'm thinking co-op Colonial Marines on LV-426 in a open world. It could even turn into a coop survival RPG.

It was called Aliens colonial marines.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FoxbatAlpha

@Animal-Mother said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

We are talking about an Aliens game done right. Don't even mention that filth in this thread!

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Animal-Mother

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

We are talking about an Aliens game done right. Don't even mention that filth in this thread!

It's dirtier than a brothel in tijuana I tell ya!

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FoxbatAlpha

@Animal-Mother said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Yep, been there, done that................followed up by penicillin.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Animal-Mother

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Yep, been there, done that................followed up by penicillin.

Good lord.....

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 funsohng

@clone01 said:

This^ You have to realize that when Alien came out (1979, I believe), there was literally NOTHING like it.

In cinema maybe. And I'm talking about Aliens. Not the sci-fi horror mastrpiece.

@GarGx1 said:

StarCraft and Warcraft are actually Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy clones. Blizzard originally made Warcraft as a possible Wahammer fantasy title but Games Workshop rejected it.

Some of Warhammer 40k on the other hand is hugely inspired by Alien, especially the Genestealers/Tyranids

I'd say Nids were more influenced by Starship Troopers.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 16491 Posts

Problem with the license is that they know they can make a half-effort, slap the IP on it, and it'll sell. Yes, there are exceptions when you get a team behind the project that really loves and respects the material (Alien: I and the Arkham games) but personally I never hold out much hope for licensed games unless there's a proven dev behind them.

For an Aliens game, I'd like to see an RPG/turn based 3D isometric game similar in structure to Divinity:Original Sin.

Landing at the abandoned colony on LV-426 in the rain, same atmosphere, moving your squad in RT or turn-based if you anticipate contact. Exploring the colony slowly. It would retain the tension. Combat would be the same as D:OS with a few tweaks.

I think an Aliens FPS game that would ever come close to doing the film justice in not only terms of gameplay but the retention and execution of tension would be incredibly difficult to get right. Plus more RPG and storytelling would suit itself better to an isometric view and play style.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58668 Posts

Doesnt seem like it.