Cough up the cash to use a headset on the Xbox One

  • 74 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for D4RKL1NG
#1 Edited by D4RKL1NG (278 posts) -

The MajorNelson.com blog has announced yesterday a new Xbox One Stereo Headset. It looks like a solid piece of hardware, offering a 20Hz-20kHz frequency range and a unidirectional microphone — along with what appear to be large ear cups for what is likely a comfortable fit. Included is a pretty cool adapter peripheral that allows for independent control of game and chat audio as well as a handy microphone mute button. Though, the headset also comes with a fairly substantial price tag of $79.99/£59.99 MSRP.

Here’s the rub: That pretty cool adapter peripheral? It’s necessary because the headset port on the Xbox One controller is proprietary. If you’ve been itching to hook up your expensive Turtle Beach or Tritton headset to your shiny new Microsoft console, you’ll need to fork over $24.99/£19.99 for that little thing.

Another feature behind a paywall.

Lems just can't catch a break :(

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/cough-up-the-cash-to-use-a-headset-on-the-xbox-one/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#2 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

so without an xbox one you can buy just the little adapter thing by itself?

i quite like the look of it, i might get one.

Avatar image for mems_1224
#3 Edited by mems_1224 (56914 posts) -

Whenever I do get my X1 Im getting a new headset anyways. The one I have now is about 4 years old and still works great but its time for an upgrade.

Avatar image for killatwill15
#4 Posted by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Whenever I do get my X1 Im getting a new headset anyways. The one I have now is about 4 years old and still works great but its time for an upgrade.

just get someone to solder it to where the packed in headset adapter connects to the controller,

save money,

at least that way you can use any headset, like come on,

why not?

Avatar image for k2theswiss
#5 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

$25 is a lot for the puck, but i am digging extra 2 buttons, supposedly one is for friends list and other for party chat

Either you can talk crap about the headset port, but proof is in the pudding when my chat is crystal clear

Avatar image for silversix_
#7 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

Im using an audiophile pair of headphones on my ps4. How mad are lems?$?$

Avatar image for coasterguy65
#8 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

In a world where people shell out $200 for a set of headphones is $80 really that expensive? However I have no interest in it myself. If I ever do buy an Xbone, which I doubt I will, I will just use the included headphones.

Still a very stupid move by MS to not include a universal headphone jack on the controller.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#9 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (4963 posts) -

Cough up the cash like Jim Carrey in your avatar?

Avatar image for Vatusus
#10 Edited by Vatusus (7747 posts) -

MS trully is a disgusting company. And idiots keep supporting this trash

Avatar image for StormyJoe
#11 Posted by StormyJoe (7541 posts) -

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

Avatar image for Krelian-co
#12 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

Avatar image for StormyJoe
#13 Edited by StormyJoe (7541 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

No one says shit when Apple or Samsung changes the charger interface for their phones. MS does it and it's a national disaster.

Whatever, milker.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#14 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

Just another spoonful of shit for the lems to dutifully and happily swallow. At this point it's become a reflex action.

Avatar image for kuu2
#15 Posted by kuu2 (10145 posts) -

Hold on time out. You mean MSoft came out with their own peripheral???? You don't say, those dirty bastards......

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
#16 Posted by chikenfriedrice (13561 posts) -

Man cows will search the internetz for anything negative about the X1, even when it's not a negative thing...pathetic

Avatar image for dotWithShoes
#17 Edited by dotWithShoes (5366 posts) -
@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

How idiotic of a consumer are people really? Honestly, just because it says Xbox on the console, doesn't mean it's going to be compatible with Xbox 360 accessories. You use accessories made for the Xbox One on the Xbox One, and accessories made for the Xbox 360 on the Xbox 360. This kind of entitlement by gamers is what people should be truly upset with. They release an adapter so that you can use Xbox 360 accessories with a brand new console, and people are upset that you have to pay for it? Microsoft is not the first, or the only company to make different products whose accessories that are not compatible with one another.

If you want a headset for the Xbox One, buy a headset that is designed for the Xbox One and shut up about wanting to use one made for an Xbox 360. Should I be upset that my Turtle Beaches for my Xbox 360 will not work on my PlayStation 3? By your 'logic', then yes, yes I should.

Avatar image for blackace
#18 Edited by blackace (23576 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Whenever I do get my X1 Im getting a new headset anyways. The one I have now is about 4 years old and still works great but its time for an upgrade.

Anyone who is stupid enough to buy that adapter piece seperately is crazy. I'll just use the headset that came with the XB1 for now. Once I get some money saved up, I'll by M$ headset. With my XBox 360, I pretty much used the headset that came with the XBox 360. My wife just recently bought me a new XBox 360 headset for my birthday.

*************************************************************

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Just another spoonful of shit for the lems to dutifully and happily swallow. At this point it's become a reflex action.

You mean just like Sony's proprietary memory cards for the PSVita? lol!! Cows swallowed that with no problems. You act like other companies haven't done this before. Both Sony & Nintendo has done this many, many times.

Avatar image for Zen_Light
#19 Posted by Zen_Light (2143 posts) -

Pathetic as usual, Microsoft.

Avatar image for hoyalawya
#20 Edited by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

$25 for additional functionalities not on the controller, e.g., mute chat, increase/decrease volume. Sounds fair to me. I prefer physical buttons over having to pause the game, go into settings, and increase/decrease volume.

Avatar image for Dire_Weasel
#21 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16681 posts) -

$25 for a plastic adapter? To provide the 3.5mm jack that the should be 100% standard: it's already on the Playstation 4 and the Wii U.

This is how Microsoft got its reputation for nickel-and-diming the consumer.

Avatar image for darkangel115
#22 Posted by darkangel115 (4444 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

Avatar image for StormyJoe
#23 Posted by StormyJoe (7541 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

Cows are getting desperate now. They are bringing up every possible issue with an XB1.

Sad. They should just get over it and play their PS4.

Avatar image for Dire_Weasel
#24 Edited by Dire_Weasel (16681 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

A 3.5mm, 4 connector jack isn't "outdated tech" it's a standard. And it's standard enough that Microsoft is now providing a $25 adapter that provides that jack.

There's nothing to cheerlead here, this was a poor decision on Microsoft's part, or it was a decision to make a little more money off of accessories. Either way, you, as the consumer, shouldn't be happy about it.

Avatar image for gensigns
#25 Posted by gensigns (1487 posts) -

Hehehe, it's funny seeing Cow's complaining about this after the milking they've accepted from Sony for years. Cowpocricy at it's finest!

Avatar image for hoyalawya
#26 Posted by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel said:

@darkangel115 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

A 3.5mm, 4 connector jack isn't "outdated tech" it's a standard. And it's standard enough that Microsoft is now providing a $25 adapter that provides that jack.

There's nothing to cheerlead here, this was a poor decision on Microsoft's part, or it was a decision to make a little more money off of accessories. Either way, you, as the consumer, shouldn't be happy about it.

Except that the adapter does not just provide a 3.5 mm 4 pole jack, does it? It also comes with physical buttons for mute & volume control. IMO, those buttons are must-haves for online gaming where you don't have time to pause then go into settings to change the volume.

Avatar image for darkangel115
#27 Posted by darkangel115 (4444 posts) -

@hoyalawya said:

@Dire_Weasel said:

@darkangel115 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

A 3.5mm, 4 connector jack isn't "outdated tech" it's a standard. And it's standard enough that Microsoft is now providing a $25 adapter that provides that jack.

There's nothing to cheerlead here, this was a poor decision on Microsoft's part, or it was a decision to make a little more money off of accessories. Either way, you, as the consumer, shouldn't be happy about it.

Except that the adapter does not just provide a 3.5 mm 4 pole jack, does it? It also comes with physical buttons for mute & volume control. IMO, those buttons are must-haves for online gaming where you don't have time to pause then go into settings to change the volume.

Plus 3.5mm is not the standard. Its outdated. Iphones/ipods don't use it for most devices as they use their special ports. Not to mention most devices now do it wireless from home theaters, to cars using BT to sync to your iphone and play music which can be changed via voice command etc. Using a 3.5mm jack is just outdated and old school

Avatar image for Dire_Weasel
#28 Edited by Dire_Weasel (16681 posts) -

@hoyalawya said:

@Dire_Weasel said:

@darkangel115 said:

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

A 3.5mm, 4 connector jack isn't "outdated tech" it's a standard. And it's standard enough that Microsoft is now providing a $25 adapter that provides that jack.

There's nothing to cheerlead here, this was a poor decision on Microsoft's part, or it was a decision to make a little more money off of accessories. Either way, you, as the consumer, shouldn't be happy about it.

Except that the adapter does not just provide a 3.5 mm 4 pole jack, does it? It also comes with physical buttons for mute & volume control. IMO, those buttons are must-haves for online gaming where you don't have time to pause then go into settings to change the volume.

The sort of headsets you can already fit into a standard 3.5mm jack come with volume control and microphone muting built in.

I can't stop you from jumping on the cheerleading bandwagon, but you're doing a disservice to you and your fellow gamers by encouraging Microsoft's nickel-and-diming on the console they sold you for $500.

Avatar image for dotWithShoes
#29 Posted by dotWithShoes (5366 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel said:

@hoyalawya said:

@Dire_Weasel said:

@darkangel115 said:

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

A 3.5mm, 4 connector jack isn't "outdated tech" it's a standard. And it's standard enough that Microsoft is now providing a $25 adapter that provides that jack.

There's nothing to cheerlead here, this was a poor decision on Microsoft's part, or it was a decision to make a little more money off of accessories. Either way, you, as the consumer, shouldn't be happy about it.

Except that the adapter does not just provide a 3.5 mm 4 pole jack, does it? It also comes with physical buttons for mute & volume control. IMO, those buttons are must-haves for online gaming where you don't have time to pause then go into settings to change the volume.

The sort of headsets you can already fit into a standard 3.5mm jack come with volume control and microphone muting built in.

I can't stop you from jumping on the cheerleading bandwagon, but you're doing a disservice to you and your fellow gamers by encouraging Microsoft's nickel-and-diming on the console they sold you for $500.

Because something is the "standard", means it cannot be outdated?

Avatar image for hoyalawya
#30 Edited by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel said:

@hoyalawya said:

@Dire_Weasel said:

@darkangel115 said:

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

A 3.5mm, 4 connector jack isn't "outdated tech" it's a standard. And it's standard enough that Microsoft is now providing a $25 adapter that provides that jack.

There's nothing to cheerlead here, this was a poor decision on Microsoft's part, or it was a decision to make a little more money off of accessories. Either way, you, as the consumer, shouldn't be happy about it.

Except that the adapter does not just provide a 3.5 mm 4 pole jack, does it? It also comes with physical buttons for mute & volume control. IMO, those buttons are must-haves for online gaming where you don't have time to pause then go into settings to change the volume.

The sort of headsets you can already fit into a standard 3.5mm jack come with volume control and microphone muting built in.

I can't stop you from jumping on the cheerleading bandwagon, but you're doing a disservice to you and your fellow gamers by encouraging Microsoft's nickel-and-diming on the console they sold you for $500.

Really? Those controls are not on my Polk Melee or the cheapo SkullCandy that I use for my cellphones. The Xbox Ones are selling at a loss. I am fine with paying them extra money that they can use to improve the service.

Avatar image for The_Last_Ride
#31 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

25 bucks? Really? No thank you

Avatar image for OmegaPillow
#32 Edited by OmegaPillow (1039 posts) -

I can play with my turtle beaches on the ps4, greedysoft knew what they're doing, they knew moronic fanboys would pay for this

Avatar image for hoyalawya
#33 Edited by hoyalawya (344 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

@hoyalawya said:

@Dire_Weasel said:

@darkangel115 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

A 3.5mm, 4 connector jack isn't "outdated tech" it's a standard. And it's standard enough that Microsoft is now providing a $25 adapter that provides that jack.

There's nothing to cheerlead here, this was a poor decision on Microsoft's part, or it was a decision to make a little more money off of accessories. Either way, you, as the consumer, shouldn't be happy about it.

Except that the adapter does not just provide a 3.5 mm 4 pole jack, does it? It also comes with physical buttons for mute & volume control. IMO, those buttons are must-haves for online gaming where you don't have time to pause then go into settings to change the volume.

Plus 3.5mm is not the standard. Its outdated. Iphones/ipods don't use it for most devices as they use their special ports. Not to mention most devices now do it wireless from home theaters, to cars using BT to sync to your iphone and play music which can be changed via voice command etc. Using a 3.5mm jack is just outdated and old school

What? iPhone 4 & 5 have 3.5 mm jacks. I can simply use the iPhone headset with my Android phone.

Avatar image for darkangel115
#34 Edited by darkangel115 (4444 posts) -

@hoyalawya

yes they still have the jacks. But i mean most cars still come with AM/FM radio and CD players and those are kinda outdated as well due to MP3 players.

Avatar image for bobbetybob
#35 Edited by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -
@silversix_ said:

Im using an audiophile pair of headphones on my ps4. How mad are lems?$?$

I doubt they're mad at all considering you can use those on an Xbone as well. Unless you were bragging about using good headphones through the port in the DS4 which would be the dumbest thing ever.

Avatar image for silversix_
#36 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@silversix_ said:

Im using an audiophile pair of headphones on my ps4. How mad are lems?$?$

I doubt they're mad at all considering you can use those on an Xbone as well. Unless you were bragging about using good headphones through the port in the DS4 which would be the dumbest thing ever.

Thanks for ruining everything, i planned big things and you killed it all!

Avatar image for ominous_titan
#37 Posted by ominous_titan (1215 posts) -

i cant use my bluetooth wireless surround sound headset from the ps3 on ps4 , thats even worse at least the bone is giving the option

Avatar image for bobbetybob
#38 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -
@silversix_ said:

@bobbetybob said:
@silversix_ said:

Im using an audiophile pair of headphones on my ps4. How mad are lems?$?$

I doubt they're mad at all considering you can use those on an Xbone as well. Unless you were bragging about using good headphones through the port in the DS4 which would be the dumbest thing ever.

Thanks for ruining everything, i planned big things and you killed it all!

Bobbetybob: The Dream Killer.

Avatar image for Locutus_Picard
#39 Edited by Locutus_Picard (4041 posts) -

Lemmings lining up to sell their second kidney just to use their old headset again. TLHBO

Avatar image for KHAndAnime
#40 Edited by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@silversix_ said:

Im using an audiophile pair of headphones on my ps4. How mad are lems?$?$

I doubt they're mad at all considering you can use those on an Xbone as well. Unless you were bragging about using good headphones through the port in the DS4 which would be the dumbest thing ever.

People do brag about that though :\

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#41 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

@hoyalawya said:

@darkangel115 said:

@hoyalawya said:

@Dire_Weasel said:

@darkangel115 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@D4RKL1NG:

Or... you could just use the one that comes with the console?

so your "logic" is to use an inferior headset instead the one you always use because microsoft decided they will put that behind a paywall and yet you come here to excuse them? lol fuking drones.

Lol that's like saying charging the iphone 5 is behind a paywall cause my iphone 4 chargers won't work without an adapter. its called better technology. Sony uses old outdated tech, MS uses a new better audio port.

A 3.5mm, 4 connector jack isn't "outdated tech" it's a standard. And it's standard enough that Microsoft is now providing a $25 adapter that provides that jack.

There's nothing to cheerlead here, this was a poor decision on Microsoft's part, or it was a decision to make a little more money off of accessories. Either way, you, as the consumer, shouldn't be happy about it.

Except that the adapter does not just provide a 3.5 mm 4 pole jack, does it? It also comes with physical buttons for mute & volume control. IMO, those buttons are must-haves for online gaming where you don't have time to pause then go into settings to change the volume.

Plus 3.5mm is not the standard. Its outdated. Iphones/ipods don't use it for most devices as they use their special ports. Not to mention most devices now do it wireless from home theaters, to cars using BT to sync to your iphone and play music which can be changed via voice command etc. Using a 3.5mm jack is just outdated and old school

What? iPhone 4 & 5 have 3.5 mm jacks. I can simply use the iPhone headset with my Android phone.

considering what the 3.5mm TRS connector is for, and what it does - i don't think its going anywhere in a hurry.

not to mention that ipods can output video through their 3.5mm ports because they use TRRS, but if you plug in standard headphones that are just TRS - it works, its backwards compatible.

honestly, i think the 3.5mm TRS form factor is here to stay. 3.5mm TRS socket often exists alongside things like bluetooth streaming within the same device.

seriously, check it out on wikipedia. there is a reason why the 3.5mm TRS connector has enjoyed such a long lifespan.

Avatar image for donalbane
#42 Edited by donalbane (16383 posts) -

I have an expensive wireless headset, and I am just glad I can finally use it on the Xbox One. I don't mind spending the money for the adapter... just grateful to be able to game quietly after my wife has gone to bed again.

However, I also have an expensive remote control, and it currently doesn't control my PS4, which is a major bummer, as it works with everything else I own. It's also worth mentioning that I never felt the need to produce a Sony-hating thread when I had to buy a pricey adapter to use my last remote with the PS3.

When you have decent accessories that aren't comparable with your consoles, you're grateful that you are given the option of using them again and don't really care if you have to pay a small sum to do it. $25 isn't cost prohibitive at all... especially when weighed against the price of the headset/remote.

Avatar image for Dire_Weasel
#43 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16681 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

Plus 3.5mm is not the standard. Its outdated. Iphones/ipods don't use it for most devices as they use their special ports. Not to mention most devices now do it wireless from home theaters, to cars using BT to sync to your iphone and play music which can be changed via voice command etc. Using a 3.5mm jack is just outdated and old school

This is just ... completely wrong.

Look, I understand that you have an incredible amount of brand loyalty; it's commendable, really. There is no need to just make up something to suit your argument.

The Iphone and Ipod both have 3.5mm jacks. Most devices do not "do it wireless". A 3.5mm jack is absolutely current, useful technology, and that's why Microsoft has provided a $25 adapter so that you can use it.

Avatar image for edwardecl
#44 Edited by edwardecl (2241 posts) -

What do you expect from Microsoft, the company that sells stuff like battery chargers and proprietary hard drives (360), is it any shock they will charge you for the privilege of using a standard pair of headphones/mic...

Actually I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did the proprietary HDD thing with external USB drives just to be arseholes. Will probably force you to buy new steering wheels for drivings games as well... oh wait.

Avatar image for darkangel115
#45 Edited by darkangel115 (4444 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel said:

@darkangel115 said:

Plus 3.5mm is not the standard. Its outdated. Iphones/ipods don't use it for most devices as they use their special ports. Not to mention most devices now do it wireless from home theaters, to cars using BT to sync to your iphone and play music which can be changed via voice command etc. Using a 3.5mm jack is just outdated and old school

This is just ... completely wrong.

Look, I understand that you have an incredible amount of brand loyalty; it's commendable, really. There is no need to just make up something to suit your argument.

The Iphone and Ipod both have 3.5mm jacks. Most devices do not "do it wireless". A 3.5mm jack is absolutely current, useful technology, and that's why Microsoft has provided a $25 adapter so that you can use it.

I have 0 brand loyalty. I have all different brands for phones, tables, laptops, and both a PS4 and a X1, as well as a wii, 360, and PS3. the 3.5mm connection has been around forever. just like RCA cables were the standard for a long time, then the component came out then HDMI, now HDMI is the standard where before it was a luxury that could be duplicated with component cables but done in 1 clean cable instead of 5. TVs still support the old RCA and component setups because it works and is compatible with everything, but its still old technology. In a perfect world, both controllers would use a USB port for audio and headsets as its the bets universe adapter for pretty much everything at the moment, but MS went with a new proprietary jack (which is kinda a dick move when they could have made it USB) but the old 3.5mm Jack form the 360/PS3 days or to take it a step further from my old sony walkman 20 years ago lol its anything but a standard.

would you really call a connection in this a standard for 2014?

Avatar image for Dire_Weasel
#46 Edited by Dire_Weasel (16681 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

I have 0 brand loyalty. I have all different brands for phones, tables, laptops, and both a PS4 and a X1, as well as a wii, 360, and PS3. the 3.5mm connection has been around forever. just like RCA cables were the standard for a long time, then the component came out then HDMI, now HDMI is the standard where before it was a luxury that could be duplicated with component cables but done in 1 clean cable instead of 5. TVs still support the old RCA and component setups because it works and is compatible with everything, but its still old technology. In a perfect world, both controllers would use a USB port for audio and headsets as its the bets universe adapter for pretty much everything at the moment, but MS went with a new proprietary jack (which is kinda a dick move when they could have made it USB) but the old 3.5mm Jack form the 360/PS3 days or to take it a step further from my old sony walkman 20 years ago lol its anything but a standard.

would you really call a connection in this a standard for 2014?

Sorry, I ... didn't even read that, but I'm sure it was really interesting.

If you're thrilled about a being able to buy a $25 adapter for your Xbox One controller, great, carry on. I've pretty much said everything I want to about the topic.

Avatar image for blackace
#47 Edited by blackace (23576 posts) -

@Locutus_Picard said:

Lemmings lining up to sell their second kidney just to use their old headset again. TLHBO

LOL!! No. Hopefully they aren't stupid enough to buy that adapter. Waste of money. They should have just included that in the box as well. Thankfully, the XB1 comes with a decent headset. I already have an incredible sound system.

Avatar image for W1NGMAN-
#48 Edited by W1NGMAN- (10100 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Man cows will search the internetz for anything negative about the X1, even when it's not a negative thing...pathetic

It's on the front page of GS.

Avatar image for darkangel115
#49 Posted by darkangel115 (4444 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel said:

@darkangel115 said:

I have 0 brand loyalty. I have all different brands for phones, tables, laptops, and both a PS4 and a X1, as well as a wii, 360, and PS3. the 3.5mm connection has been around forever. just like RCA cables were the standard for a long time, then the component came out then HDMI, now HDMI is the standard where before it was a luxury that could be duplicated with component cables but done in 1 clean cable instead of 5. TVs still support the old RCA and component setups because it works and is compatible with everything, but its still old technology. In a perfect world, both controllers would use a USB port for audio and headsets as its the bets universe adapter for pretty much everything at the moment, but MS went with a new proprietary jack (which is kinda a dick move when they could have made it USB) but the old 3.5mm Jack form the 360/PS3 days or to take it a step further from my old sony walkman 20 years ago lol its anything but a standard.

would you really call a connection in this a standard for 2014?

Sorry, I ... didn't even read that, but I'm sure it was really interesting.

If you're thrilled about a being able to buy a $25 adapter for your Xbox One controller, great, carry on. I've pretty much said everything I want to about the topic.

lol you didn't even read. i said it was a dick move they could have went USB then PC/X1 headsets would be universal. But still in 2014 no i don't want a 3.5mm jack anymore. Sure a 25 dollar adapter sucks, but i can car less I'm waiting for a wireless headset. Its a sad day when people complain about a 25 dollar adapter. have you purchased any apple products lately? every new model has a new proprietary port and then they charge 25 to 100 dollars for adapters. the adapter for an iphone to HDMI is like 80 bucks lol

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
#50 Edited by chikenfriedrice (13561 posts) -

@W1NGMAN- said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Man cows will search the internetz for anything negative about the X1, even when it's not a negative thing...pathetic

It's on the front page of GS.

If it's on the front page why do we need a thread about it.