Controller, vs Keyboard & Mouse for FPS? And how on Earth do you guys even cope on console?

• 84 results
Avatar image for superfluousreal
#1 Edited by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

I will be serious and not troll, i find it hard to play a serious shooter with a controller.

DOOM 2016 was a total shit show because i suck with the controller, but it is also counter-intuitive too, i mean i had absolutely no control or ability to actually aim precise.

On PS3 the game Singularity is a complete mess, the PS3 DualShock 3 is just not suited for it, but i do have large hands.. not mammoth sized.

As for other FPS style games, there is a silver lining, if they have auto aim then all bets are off, controller will be fine for me, games like Borderlands, which is far less "hardcore" than the type of FPS i am getting at.

But how do i stack up with mouse & keyboard? if i were a troll properly i would be bad with both, at least from my view.

Don't get me wrong i do love to lounge about too with a controller, i am directly asking about FPS games however.

#2 Posted by me2002 (2177 posts) -

with kb/ms you click on people to shoot them which is weird if you think about it

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (34393 posts) -

Steam Controller. Problem solved.

#4 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@me2002: You aim a reticle at people and press a button. Same as controllers, just better.

#5 Edited by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@me2002: You aim a reticle at people and press a button. Same as controllers, just better.

Then why is there a massive skill difference on PC?

#6 Posted by Archangel3371 (28410 posts) -

I’ve just gotten use to a controller over the many years and simply prefer it over mouse and keyboard.

#7 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: Skill difference between m/k and controllers? Because it's the superior input device. More customization, faster, better range of motion etc...

#8 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: Skill difference between m/k and controllers? Because it's the superior input device. More customization, faster, better range of motion etc...

No skill difference between PC players, if all you have to do is aim a dot at someone and fire? in simplistic terms.. sure but games are not based on simplistic terms, many incorporate movement and recoil.

I think you have done more justice for your preferred control method and passively dumbed down what is truly needed to compete on PC. KB/M is definitely not easier, but as a preference yes it is personal.

#9 Edited by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: Lol, tell me, what do you think I'm arguing here? Read the comment I originally replied to then read my response.

#10 Posted by me2002 (2177 posts) -
@fedor said:

It's more accurate but doesn't mean it's more fun. Controller is more like a gun and feels more actiony.

#11 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: Lol, tell me, what do you think I'm arguing here?

Nothing, i think you are taking offense to objective evaluation however by passive calling out ;)

#12 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: Try reading again.

#13 Edited by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@superfluousreal said:
@fedor said:

Then why is there a massive skill difference on PC?

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: Try reading again.

I did, my comprehension is spot on, your goal post movement was measured.

WASD

EF

CXV

2 mouse buttons and arm / wrist movement.

#14 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@me2002: I personally find M/k more fun, but thats completely subjective.

#15 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -

Another self assurance PC fannie thread. *Yawn*.

#16 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@true_link said:

Well self assurance does come with logical facts.

#17 Edited by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: I didnt move any goal post. You simply didnt read the post I originally responded to. I'm still not sure what it is you think I'm saying.

#18 Posted by XVision84 (16330 posts) -

I use mouse and keyboard for all fps titles. Controller for all action titles.

#19 Posted by pyro1245 (5159 posts) -

It's all about the right tool for the job.

#20 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: Did you learn to comprehend text yet?

#21 Edited by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: Did you learn to comprehend text yet?

I know i have no need to re-read anything.

But good job on your attempt to make it personal.

#22 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: Personal? Thin skin and lacking reading comprehension? Bad combo. Here let me help you

Me2002 said: with kb/ms you click on people to shoot them which is weird if you think about it

I replied: : You aim a reticle at people and press a button. Same as controllers, just better.

Now for some reason in your brain you took this as me knocking K/M even though I clearly think it's superior.

L2read, get a clue.

#23 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19165 posts) -

I actually prefer a controller overall for FPSs nowadays. I agree that it's more accurate to aim with a mouse, but using a keyboard for everything else is annoying compared to the natural layout of a controller.

But hey, each to their own.

#24 Posted by Lucianu (10347 posts) -

I recently gave Resident Evil 2 Remake a good try with my controller to have the opportunity to play while laying in my bed. Gave it a good couple of hours until i stopped, because it was shit. Switched to what i usually play shooters with - my mouse/keyboard setup, instantly felt immensely satisfying because of the accuracy; Felt like i was actually in control this time.

Stuff like Yakuza and Devil May Cry, sure, i'll gladly switch to my gamepad. But games that demand accurate pointing? Damn, does it feel like shit.

#25 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: Personal? Thin skin and lacking reading comprehension? Bad combo. Here let me help you

Me2002 said: with kb/ms you click on people to shoot them which is weird if you think about it

I replied: : You aim a reticle at people and press a button. Same as controllers, just better.

Now for some reason in your brain you took this as me knocking K/M even though I clearly think it's superior.

L2read, get a clue.

And by that you dumb down what is needed to use these peripherals.

Good job on that IQ. I can do it too, let's not go too far eh?

#26 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: I didn't dumb down anything. You're just grasping for straws trying to manufacture an argument to something I never even implied. You're a fail troll.

#27 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: I didn't dumb down anything. You're just grasping for straws trying to manufacture an argument to something I never even implied. You're a fail troll.

If i am failed why are you upset?

#28 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: Now you're trying to strawman, this is silly. You're wrong and jumped the gun, it happens.

#29 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: Now you're trying to strawman, this is silly. You're wrong and jumped the gun, it happens.

No i answered with logic, by definition if i am a failed troll then you would not be upset, but your words are contrary to your words you use against me.

Clutching for words and throwing them around in order to win is definition of straw man, you have out done yourself my friend. :)

I was never intentionally trolling, i guess if i tried you may have had a point. Don't lay traps for yourself, they hurt.

#30 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: I'm not upset tho. You seem to be tho, otherwise you wouldn't be resorting to blatant fallacy. Troll or stupid, pick one. I hope its the former.

#31 Edited by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: I'm not upset tho. You seem to be tho, otherwise you wouldn't be resorting to blatant fallacy. Troll or stupid, pick one. I hope its the former.

@fedor said:

L2read, get a clue.

Projection and denial is a bad thing.

#32 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: I guess It's the latter. Sad life.

#33 Edited by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: I guess It's the latter. Sad life.

I will continue drinking my coffee, you can continue doing whatever you are doing.

This is a good song.

Loading Video...

#34 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: K, I'll keep laughing at you.

#35 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@fedor said:

@superfluousreal: K, I'll keep laughing at you.

Cool, remember how you said you were not upset. ;)

#36 Posted by Heil68 (58244 posts) -

March 20, 2019

lol

#37 Posted by Fedor (5273 posts) -

@superfluousreal: I'm quite jovial at the moment.

#38 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

I recently gave Resident Evil 2 Remake a good try with my controller to have the opportunity to play while laying in my bed. Gave it a good couple of hours until i stopped, because it was shit. Switched to what i usually play shooters with - my mouse/keyboard setup, instantly felt immensely satisfying because of the accuracy; Felt like i was actually in control this time.

Stuff like Yakuza and Devil May Cry, sure, i'll gladly switch to my gamepad. But games that demand accurate pointing? Damn, does it feel like shit.

That is strange, RE2 is a game i would use controllers for, not bought it yet, then again i disliked 7.

#39 Posted by uninspiredcup (34393 posts) -

It's difficult for the player to get a straight shot in RE2 unless you are prone for several seconds, so unless you're absolutely terrible with a controller it doesn't make much diff. Was happily swapping between the two.

#40 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (832 posts) -

People who choose to use controllers for FPS fill me with awe. It really is like running a marathon with only one leg!

I'm personally deeply relieved and very grateful they've opted for an additional handicap; otherwise they'd wipe the floor with me in MP games!

#41 Posted by Lucianu (10347 posts) -
@superfluousreal said:
@Lucianu said:

That is strange, RE2 is a game i would use controllers for, not bought it yet, then again i disliked 7.

Yeah, i wanted to play with my controller as well, decided to just **** it because on more than one occasion i kept missing headshots because maneuvering that slow as molasses joystick on the head to get a shot didn't feel fun, doesn't help that zombies are designed to be difficult to hit with their sporadic movement. Playing anything that requires aim feels so much more satisfying and natural with a mouse, so that's that. Not a big deal considering i always have a choice. Gonna be playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice with my controller, for example.

Anything that requires aim, m/kb at the comfort of my desk. Anything else, controller at the comfort of my bed, heh.

#42 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25456 posts) -
@superfluousreal said:
@Lucianu said:

All the speedrunners use mouse and keyboard. That should tell you which is superior for that specific game.

#43 Posted by DaVillain- (37574 posts) -

I'm just gonna say it like this cause we have several of these threads in the past.

KB/M-first-person-shooters & RTS only. Controller- (Xbox Elite) everything else.

#44 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16139 posts) -

@davillain- said:

I'm just gonna say it like this cause we have several of these threads in the past.

KB/M-first-person-shooters & RTS only. Controller- (Xbox Elite) everything else.

You'd take a controller for city-building (Cities Skylines), complex part attachment (Kerbal Space Program), 4X (Civilization) and even MMOs? You, sir, are hardcore as ****.

#45 Posted by DaVillain- (37574 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:
@davillain- said:

You'd take a controller for city-building (Cities Skylines), complex part attachment (Kerbal Space Program), 4X (Civilization) and even MMOs? You, sir, are hardcore as ****.

LOL maybe not that hardcore. I did use KB/M on Minecraft, Civilization, and Total War :)

Truth be told, I tried my best with KB/M while playing Witcher 3 and it didn't work for me, so my Xbox Elite came to save the day. Depending on the game itself, I'll experiment what works best for me.

#46 Posted by br0kenrabbit (16139 posts) -

@davillain- said:

LOL maybe not that hardcore. I did use KB/M on Minecraft, Civilization, and Total War :)

Truth be told, I tried my best with KB/M while playing Witcher 3 and it didn't work for me, so my Xbox Elite came to save the day. Depending on the game itself, I'll experiment what works best for me.

I've only a handful of games I use the Xbox One controller for (on PC). No Man's Sky because ship handling with a mouse is a total bitch, and I'm not going to be going back and forth between the two every time I jump in or out of my ship. There's not much first-person shooting so it's no big deal. Other than that it's all retro games like Sonic CD or the Secret of Mana Remake, etc.

#47 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -

@superfluousreal said:
@true_link said:

Well self assurance does come with logical facts.

Sorry, I didn't catch that, I was sleeping.

#48 Posted by Pedro (35481 posts) -

Only fannies care about how others play their games. Yay! To PC fannies.

#49 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Only fannies care about how others play their games. Yay! To PC fannies.

Agreed, PC fannies are utter insecure lately, I wonder what is going on.

#50 Edited by dimebag667 (1268 posts) -

@superfluousreal: It's all in the eye of the beholder. I prefer controller because I'm used to it, and that it feels a little more authentic. I'm not a fan of being able to whip around instantly without consideration for some kind of weight. That doesn't mean I want a nonsense turn speed like in kz2, but a little effort is appreciated.

I also don't like the idea of having kb/m playing against controllers. Or even stock controllers playing against high end ones. An even playing field is what I want, but that is unrealistic.