Controller or Keyboard - what is your preference for PC gaming?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Controller or Keyboard - what is your preference for PC gaming? (50 votes)

Mostly controller 24%
Mostly keyboard 36%
Roughly both the same 4%
Depends on the genre 36%

I've always used controllers for the most part, but I tried keyboard recently with the Resident Evil 3 demo and it was pretty cool. Having all these keys to use can be very convenient. So I'm open to using it more often. I guess I would use it mostly for just shooters and strategy games. So my answer is "Depends on the genre." What about you, SW? What do you prefer to use for PC gaming: controller or keyboard?

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 55162 Posts

I mostly play controller-based games. That's largely just due to the fact that most newer games support controllers. My setup isn't designed for KB/M gaming, but I have a one-bedroom condo so space is a premium.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39345 Posts

Depends on the game ,mostly

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98338 Posts

Keyboard for everything except platformers, fighters and third person action games.

Racing games best on a wheel.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill  Online
Member since 2003 • 8898 Posts

The only two genres I've had experience where keyboard and mouse was better is 1. Point and Click games... and 2. RTS games like Warcraft 3.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41130 Posts

"Depends on the genre," just use the best tool for the job. I prefer using my Xbox Elite controller in platformers, 3rd-person shooters, fighting, & KB/M for FPS and RTS, etc. At the end of the day, I don't really prefer either, but I do prefer a certain style for certain genres of games. I did grow up on Consoles and came later to the world of gaming PC, so I've always been used to using Controller & KB/M. Playing games like Witcher 3 & Jedi Fallen Order with a controller really makes the game enjoyable is an example using Controller over KB/M depending on the player.

Asking me which one I prefer is like saying "which one is better, a Hammer or a monkey Wrench". Well, I guess you could hammer in nails with a monkey wrench, but I'd rather use a Hammer for that lol.

(But however. How anyone could say that FPS games play better with a controller is beyond me. I'm sorry but KB/M players dominate in FPS games for a reason, this isn't up for discussion!)

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 1439 Posts

JRPGs, driving, platformers I use a controller. Anything with shooting, even 3rd person RPGs, MKB.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27906 Posts

It really depends on the game. When playing MMO's like ESO or FF14 I almost always use keyboard and mouse, but for platformers and certain other action oriented games like Ori and the Blind Forest or Yooka Laylee I'll use controller.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46039 Posts

Keyboard and mouse for about 97% of it.

HOTAS for another 2%

and my Steam Controller for a bit of it.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6940 Posts

For competitive games my monitor and keyboard and mouse and for games that's don't require precision I sit back on my couch and use a X1 wired controller hooked up to a 65" OLED.

Best of both worlds.

Recently my PC use has been mostly VR and controller on a TV use... And until a competitive FPS comes out I don't think it will change much, I guess I'm over the whole fast paced FPS multiplayer gaming thing... I want worlds to explore and games I can soak up the atmosphere in and spend 2-3 hours in pure immersion.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 17796 Posts

If an input method is clearly the best for the genre/game, I'll roll with that. Any fps gets m/kb.

If all things equal, I'll default to preference which is usually a controller, or with fighting games, a stick.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 62393 Posts

Depends on the game. For shooters its the mouse n keyboard, for platformers n DMC I use my dual shock 4, for most other action games/action adventure games I'll use my xbox one or 360 controller, for fighting games my dual shock 4 or Hitbox.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 38481 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Depends on the game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 xantufrog  Moderator  Online
Member since 2013 • 12379 Posts

75% M&K, but sure - Some games make a lot more sense on a controller

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 11469 Posts

kb/m by far. mechanical with gateron red and a model-D, model-O, or Basalisk v2 mouse. Makes console kids cry.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6007 Posts

Right tool for the job.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 369 Posts

Keyboard. But did you know that there are a ton of pc gamers bitching about controller users in games such as Fortnite, CoD, Apex because of auto aim? Lots of crossplay tournaments are won with controllers lol its kinda funny.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 3123 Posts

When I used to play PC games years ago, I always played them using a mouse and keyboard. This because the games I played on PC are real-time strategy games like Dune II: Battle of Arakasis, Warcaft, Age of Empires II, Age of Mythology, and Rise of Nations.

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 74 Posts

Mostly mouse keyboard. However I do own Xbox controller for some sports games like cricket for example which I play for a change every once in awhile.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33053 Posts

Mouse & Keyboard - FPS and RTS

Controller - Racing games, third person action adventure games, PES or FIFA

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 12603 Posts

Just mouse and Keyboard.

controllers hurt my thumb.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3761 Posts

Depends, to be honest. I've mostly found The Witcher 2 to be the most comfortable to play on a controller even though it was a PC timed exclusive and for certain multiplatform games, the controllers seems to work better. Examples of this would be the Assassin's Creed franchise, Batman Arkham and SoulCalibur.

Keyboard and mouse works better for shooters and strategy games, I find. Even Japanese SRPGs are better played with WASD+Mouse IMO

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11916 Posts

Funny, I recently hooked up a DS4 to my PC and it makes a world of difference. I've been using KB/M for everything including, Bloodstained, Ori, Resident Evil 4/5, and Sleeping Dogs. Controller is so much better for those games. It depends on the genre. KB/M for shooters, strategy and isometric games for me. I play a blend of genres so I tend to use both methods equally.

Gamerno6666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Gamerno6666
Member since 2013 • 7137 Posts

Any type of shooters be it 1st person or 3rd person, RTS, point and click, turned based/real time with pause rpg are reserved for keyboard and mouse. Controller is a horrendous option when playing these type on games.

Hack and slash, 3rd person RPG(with swords and stuff), platformers(2D and 3D) are the only genre suited for a controller.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3274 Posts

Controller for pretty much everything. The only time i use K&M is for point & Click games.

using WASD for moving and space key for jumping is awkward as F*ck.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 814 Posts

I use a controller. Anywhere from Fortnite to BF4. I'm lazy and can't get off the couch. Also I hate keyboards with a passion. They're for typing not gaming.

That being said, I'll probably buy an Azeron once my finances get out of the shitter.