Control made me a believer in ray tracing

• 65 results
#51 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

@Pedro: Just joking Pedro, your posting quality is impeccable :). It's more noticeable in motion and especially in certain areas. It's night and day for me when I toggle the settings in-game.

I'm sure you can find videos online that demonstrate the difference well.

I have played the game with RTX On. I know there is a difference. I am simply stating that its NOT night and day. If the average gamer or person were to play either version of the game between session very few people would even notice a difference. That's the reality. RTX is offers more benefit to developers than gamers.

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

That is night and day. Can you honestly look at that last screenshot and tell me that you had to look hard to see her reflection in the window?

You can consider that to be night and day, and that is fine. I don't. The differences is stronger than your previous comparison but my statement still stands as stated above.

#52 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25509 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@XVision84 said:

@Pedro: Just joking Pedro, your posting quality is impeccable :). It's more noticeable in motion and especially in certain areas. It's night and day for me when I toggle the settings in-game.

I have played the game with RTX On. I know there is a difference. I am simply stating that its NOT night and day. If the average gamer or person were to play either version of the game between session very few people would even notice a difference. That's the reality. RTX is offers more benefit to developers than gamers.

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

That is night and day. Can you honestly look at that last screenshot and tell me that you had to look hard to see her reflection in the window?

You can consider that to be night and day, and that is fine. I don't. The differences is stronger than your previous comparison but my statement still stands as stated above.

You'd have to prove what you say is correct. That's like saying people don't notice the difference between 144 hz and 60 hz, yet it's been proven that even casual gamers can tell the difference most of the time.

Loading Video...

Everything you claim is without merit, and is simply just a claim.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
#53 Posted by deactivated-5d78760d7d740 (16386 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@XVision84 said:

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

It may not be what you consider night and day, but the differences are pretty clear (as @DragonfireXZ95 showed). We can't really base a conclusion off what the average gamer might notice, just what shows up on screenshots/gameplay. I don't see why your opinion is reality but mine isn't. Why do you represent the average gamer?

#54 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

You'd have to prove what you say is correct. That's like saying people don't notice the difference between 144 hz and 60 hz, yet it's been proven that even casual gamers can tell the difference most of the time.

Everything you claim is without merit, and is simply just a claim.

If you want to jump on that train then both of us will have to provide information that backs our claims. Can you provide data that shows the average gamer can see the gains of RTX? I know I can't, I am simply basing my assertion on all of the other graphical enhancements in games that are overlooked by gamers, later to be abandoned by developers because most gamers don't care about these trivial "zoom or toggle to see" the differences. Ray tracing is no different. Folks like you have to accept that you do not represent the average gamer and this forum also doesn't represent the average game.

So, with that said the difference still isn't night and day no matter how much you try to force it.

#55 Posted by VFighter (5242 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: Wow a reflection, I'm totally blown away and want to spend $5k on a ray tracing beast of a pc now...said nobody ever.

#56 Posted by 04dcarraher (23245 posts) -

@Pedro said:

So, with that said the difference still isn't night and day no matter how much you try to force it.

That's how I feel, these current Ray tracing implementations are minor improvements, their not night and day differences.

#57 Posted by Juub1990 (8721 posts) -

@04dcarraher: I mean it is an upgrade no matter how you slice it. 15% is a noticeable improvement. Now whether it is worth it or not is an entirely different affair.

#58 Posted by 04dcarraher (23245 posts) -

@deactivated-5d78760d7d740 said:

@04dcarraher: It's a 15% upgrade just in terms of raw power. Let's not forget it's fully capable of ray tracing too. Even if you don't do ray tracing and you just use DLSS + sharpening, you'll get a ~40% fps boost over a 1080.

Spending upto $600 for an average of 15% performance boost. Is a short sighted and dumb upgrade. Also that gpu is not fully capable of Ray tracing at the performance levels needed. And using DLSS to upscale the half resolution render to get a performance gain with worse detail and introduce artifacts is not a pro in my book.

#59 Edited by 04dcarraher (23245 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:

@04dcarraher: I mean it is an upgrade no matter how you slice it. 15% is a noticeable improvement. Now whether it is worth it or not is an entirely different affair.

Yea, but spending up to $600 for a 15% gain and mediocre RT performance is not my idea of an upgrade its more in line of a side grade. When someone upgrades most people are looking for a substantial upgrade not a minor step up. Which why I'm waiting for 7nm Ampere or Navi 2.0. Which should provide the generation leap in performance we typically see with node and architecture changes.

#60 Posted by PC_Rocks (2569 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@DragonfireXZ95: Yeah..I'm not seeing much of a difference there.

Yup, it's not a Sony game on PS. But don't worry, you will immediately see and like it on PS5 just like everything once they hit consoles.

#61 Edited by Litchie (24346 posts) -

Ok, the first batch of screens DragonfireXZ95 posted I didn't see much of a difference. Some more shadows. Some slight difference in reflections if you look hard. Not a night and day difference for me, not even close.

But the screen that show the reflection in the window. That was basically reflection vs. no reflection at all. That, I agree was a difference like night and day.

Is the price for a raytracing graphics card and the performance hit that you take for enabling RTX worth it for this? For me, absolutely no way in hell.

#62 Posted by Randoggy (3487 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:

I have a GTX1080 and the game runs kinda bad at 1440p native. I'm basically running on medium/low settings to get a frame rate i'm happy with.

it looks decent but not good enough to justify the rough performance

1080ti here and ya it's all over the place. The game is kinda boring anyways.

#63 Edited by DaVillain- (38139 posts) -

@Litchie said:

Ok, the first batch of screens DragonfireXZ95 posted I didn't see much of a difference. Some more shadows. Some slight difference in reflections if you look hard. Not a night and day difference for me, not even close.

But the screen that show the reflection in the window. That was basically reflection vs. no reflection at all. That, I agree was a difference like night and day.

Is the price for a raytracing graphics card and the performance hit that you take for enabling RTX worth it for this? For me, absolutely no way in hell.

It really depends what RTX GPU you are aiming for, but my RTX 2070 gets the job done when enabling ray-tracing in some titles, I actually dig this new technology by Nvidia. The tech is here to stay but I only pay $490 on 2070 and that was worth the purchase since all I really aiming for is 1440p. No way I'm spending over a grand just for RT, that's ridiculous! The 2070 is more then enough anyways.

Also, DragonfireXZ95 pic, you have to be on your personal gaming monitor to notice the difference but I can tell there's a big difference on/off RT.

Only buy RTX if you like this sort of eye candy alone. Do not buy unless you really want it.

#64 Posted by Litchie (24346 posts) -

@davillain-: Gonna check the thread out when I get home from work and see how it looks.

That's a really good price for a 2070, I'd say. But I'm used to the swedish prices on things, which is, give or take, around double of what americans pay.

I'm personally really happy with my GTX 1070. I only need a better CPU and some more RAM to go with it, and I'll be able to max out every game I want in 1080p.

#65 Posted by shellcase86 (4528 posts) -

Those pics are nearly identical to me.