deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

The difference is night and day, it's also the first game to include a comprehensive set of ray tracing features.

More importantly, the performance is excellent. I'm at ~100fps with everything maxed (including ray tracing) at 1440p with DLSS. DLSS + freestyle sharpening looks very similar to native 1440p and nearly doubles my framerate.

This is a big deal for nvidia because this is exactly what they advertised for the RTX line of GPUs. If every future RTX game is like this, then ray tracing is coming with a vengeance.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

What gpu are you using?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@topgunmv: I'm using a 2080 Ti, but every card has great performance. RTX 2060 is ~60fps 1080p, 2070 super is ~60fps 1440p, 2080 is ~70fps 1440p.

https://wccftech.com/control-pc-performance-explored-all-in-on-rtx/3/

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

@XVision84: My RTX 2070 while using Ray-tracing in Control made the game really nice and getting more RT usage. Great for 1440p lovers myself :)

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@XVision84: I also am using the freestyle sharpening with this game. It looks freakin' amazing.

Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69438 Posts

The difference is not night and day. Its night and barely dawn.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
@Pedro said:

The difference is not night and day. Its night and barely dawn.

Uh, yeah, it's pretty damn easy to tell which one is ray traced. This isn't as obvious as night and day?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

I just finished the game today and it is not that great. The game itself is a 6/10 and the visuals a 7/10. Too blurry and there are issues with visual artifacts and noise. I played max settings with no DLSS at 3440x1440 and it ran fine. So, performance is not an issue. I will give it that. I just think the Northlight Engine is not very good. Quantum Blur was not impressive either, but I enjoyed QB more. Alan Wake was the last good game that Remedy made.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24915 Posts
@BassMan said:

I just finished the game today and it is not that great. The game itself is a 6/10 and the visuals a 7/10. Too blurry and there are issues with visual artifacts and noise. I played max settings with no DLSS at 3440x1440 and it ran fine. So, performance is not an issue. I will give it that. I just think the Northlight Engine is not very good. Quantum Blur was not impressive either, but I enjoyed QB more. Alan Wake was the last good game that Remedy made.

exactly thats what i have to say. i have not complete it but i play for hour then quit then play then quit. its just gameplay and shooting not doing anything for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

Too bad all that raytracing is wasted on such a bland looking game

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: Yeah..I'm not seeing much of a difference there.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46255 Posts

The game looks excellent, Remedy has always pushed graphics as far as I'm aware.

I'll try it out when it hits Steam next year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@BassMan: Blurry? The game looks very sharp to me, you can always just use freestyle sharpening too.

Agreed on the artifacts and noise though. I got used to it, but it was really distracting at first.

I love the game so far, I'm still working through it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@Pedro: To me the difference is eye popping. It really brings the game to life.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#15 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I have a GTX1080 and the game runs kinda bad at 1440p native. I'm basically running on medium/low settings to get a frame rate i'm happy with.

it looks decent but not good enough to justify the rough performance

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Ray tracing is only going to get better :)

I'm pumped and I can't way to see how the later iterations of RTX cards perform.

AMD needs to step up in the GPU dept. Nvidia needs some solid competition.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

I really wanna see what Doom Eternal will look like ray traced. I wish Gears 5 had ray tracing, some of the techniques they use to fake it look great but makes me think about how much better it could be ray traced.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@with_teeth26 said:

I have a GTX1080 and the game runs kinda bad at 1440p native. I'm basically running on medium/low settings to get a frame rate i'm happy with.

it looks decent but not good enough to justify the rough performance

I'm running with RTX 2070 (none super) in native 1440p and I can tell you now, the framerates are all over the place. The game itself is fun, but at times, the framerates can go either ways but I still kinda get above 60fps.

@XVision84 said:

@BassMan: Blurry? The game looks very sharp to me, you can always just use freestyle sharpening too.

Agreed on the artifacts and noise though. I got used to it, but it was really distracting at first.

When he said blurry, you can't disable motion blur unless you got to a pacific setting to do so and even then, some of the areas are still blurry but not enough to worry about. I had to put Control on hold for the moment cause Gears 5 is taking all of my time on it and as well for Greedfall. I'm just glad I'm not picking up Borderlands 3 until next year.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

Wow, the ray tracing screenshots look great. I just finished this game on the PS4 Pro and have to admit that it looked awful compared to some of the other games I've played on the system. Yes, yes, I know that PC is supremely better in this regard, but I was honestly a bit surprised at some of the poor textures. The performance wasn't great either. Sometimes it stuttered, especially after unpausing the game.

I think that if the option is there for you, PC is definitely the way to go for this game. I had a pretty good time with it in spite of the issues. I heard they have patched the game (on ps4) to improve performance so perhaps that'll change things.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: At first I thought you were testing us with two pictures that are the same, but I continued looking into it and decided to instead of expanding them just watch them side by side the little pics in your post and I started seeing differences. After a little more observation I simply stopped because I can't tell which is what. I have seen comparisons in the office areas and there it is truly night and day with the reflections on the glasses but here I can't tell.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#21  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

@XVision84 said:

When he said blurry, you can't disable motion blur unless you got to a pacific setting to do so and even then, some of the areas are still blurry but not enough to worry about. I had to put Control on hold for the moment cause Gears 5 is taking all of my time on it and as well for Greedfall. I'm just glad I'm not picking up Borderlands 3 until next year.

The game is just straight up blurry and reminds me of a PS2 game with the dull graphics...

That screenshot was taken today with the new patch. DLSS OFF, motion blur off, film grain off, and MSAA off. Still blurry as fuk.

I don't use freestyle sharpening because I don't want to install Geforce Experience. Honestly, I don't even think this game renders at native resolution with DLSS disabled. I think it is using temporal reconstruction garbage like Quantum Blur.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
@glez13 said:

@DragonfireXZ95: At first I thought you were testing us with two pictures that are the same, but I continued looking into it and decided to instead of expanding them just watch them side by side the little pics in your post and I started seeing differences. After a little more observation I simply stopped because I can't tell which is what. I have seen comparisons in the office areas and there it is truly night and day with the reflections on the glasses but here I can't tell.

You really can't see the difference between the shadows on the rocks and pipes? It's pretty dang noticeable.

EDIT: So, I'm using a monitor at work, and you really need a high res display to notice the difference if you expand the photos. Using a 1080p display, don't expand them and look at the pipes and rocks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
@davillain- said:

@XVision84 said:

I haven't got around to Gears 5, it became available on PC game pass just today. How are you liking it? I'm not a fan of Gears but I'll give it a shot.

@Jendeh said:

Wow, the ray tracing screenshots look great. I just finished this game on the PS4 Pro and have to admit that it looked awful compared to some of the other games I've played on the system. Yes, yes, I know that PC is supremely better in this regard, but I was honestly a bit surprised at some of the poor textures. The performance wasn't great either. Sometimes it stuttered, especially after unpausing the game.

I think that if the option is there for you, PC is definitely the way to go for this game. I had a pretty good time with it in spite of the issues. I heard they have patched the game (on ps4) to improve performance so perhaps that'll change things.

It seems like you just missed the PS4 patch, lol. They released a patch this morning that fixed the performance drops on PS4, I don't know if it also addressed the textures.

@BassMan said:
@XVision84 said:

The game is just straight up blurry and reminds me of a PS2 game with the dull graphics...

That screenshot was taken today with the new patch. DLSS OFF, motion blur off, film grain off, and MSAA off. Still blurry as fuk.

I don't use freestyle sharpening because I don't want to install Geforce Experience. Honestly, I don't even think this game renders at native resolution with DLSS disabled. I think it is using temporal reconstruction garbage like Quantum Blur.

I can't say that I relate, but it sucks you didn't enjoy your time with the game (at least in terms of visuals). Freestyle is amazing with all its features and it's free performance with DLSS. You might enjoy it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@DragonfireXZ95: I see two big difference. Totally noticeable while at work and not using my personal gaming monitor, I can see Ray-tracing on/off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@glez13 said:

You really can't see the difference between the shadows on the rocks and pipes? It's pretty dang noticeable.

EDIT: So, I'm using a monitor at work, and you really need a high res display to notice the difference if you expand the photos. Using a 1080p display, don't expand them and look at the pipes and rocks.

I can see the differences in your screenshots, but I can relate to someone who thinks it's not that impressive since it's compressed photos. The beauty of ray tracing is when you see how everything interacts in motion, in my opinion.

It's really a combination of everything that makes ray tracing eye popping. The added detail is everywhere (as you have shown with your screenshots!) and seeing proper reflections makes me realize what older games were missing. It's something you gotta play or watch to really see. Hopefully we'll get all this on next gen consoles and everyone can experience it.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@glez13 said:

Their minor improvements imo, its more like a more advanced ambient occlusion(I know its not)..... Its not enough to go and make be spend $800+ on a gpu to get another 30ish percent performance on top of what I have now and for a few overall minor graphical improvements for a massive performance hit. Lets hope 7nm Ampere and next year's NAVI provides much more performance per dollar.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95
@04dcarraher said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@glez13 said:

Their minor improvements imo, its more like a more advanced ambient occlusion(I know its not)..... Its not enough to go and make be spend $800+ on a gpu to have another 30ish percent performance and a few overall minor graphical improvements for a massive performance hit. Lets hope 7nm Ampere and next year's NAVI provides much more performance per dollar.

Well, to be fair, that's only the shadows. I didn't even count reflections in those comparisons, which there are tons of thanks to glassy surfaces abundantly placed throughout the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
@04dcarraher said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@glez13 said:

Their minor improvements imo, its more like a more advanced ambient occlusion(I know its not)..... Its not enough to go and make be spend $800+ on a gpu to have another 30ish percent performance and a few overall minor graphical improvements for a massive performance hit. Lets hope 7nm Ampere and next year's NAVI provides much more performance per dollar.

Well a big part of why I made this thread is that it's no longer a massive performance hit. It's actually a very small one now because DLSS gives you an enormous performance boost that compensates ray tracing. DLSS integration was awful at first, but with better integration + freestyle sharpening it's basically a free performance boost.

I'm sure ray tracing costs will fall now that we know next gen consoles will have dedicated ray tracing cores and AMD is joining the fray. Even today, you don't need to spend $800+ for ray tracing. An RTX 2060 is ~$400 and an RTX 2070 Super is ~$500. 2060 can get you ray tracing 1080p 60fps, 2070 super gets you that in 1440p.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 04dcarraher

@XVision84 said:

Well a big part of why I made this thread is that it's no longer a massive performance hit. It's actually a very small one now because DLSS gives you an enormous performance boost that compensates ray tracing. DLSS integration was awful at first, but with better integration + freestyle sharpening it's basically a free performance boost.

I'm sure ray tracing costs will fall now that we know next gen consoles will have dedicated ray tracing cores and AMD is joining the fray. Even today, you don't need to spend $800+ for ray tracing. An RTX 2060 is ~$400 and an RTX 2070 Super is ~$500. 2060 can get you ray tracing 1080p 60fps, 2070 super gets you that in 1440p.

O yes there is a performance hit. Even with a RTX 2080 at 1080p highest settings RTX off gives between 80-100 fps while RTX on tends to be around 40-50 FPS on average. That is sad that a $700+ gpu cant even get a solid 60 fps avearge with RT at 1080p.

Problem is that for you to have any real RT with decent performance you have to have RTX 2080/S or 2080ti. The 2060 or Super and RTX 2070 or Super do not have enough processing power for Ray tracing to give a solid experience. For someone who has a GTX 1080, A 2060 is a downgrade, RTX 2070 is a side grade, RTX 2080 is at best minor upgrade and 2080ti is a moderate upgrade not worth premium.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DragonfireXZ95
@04dcarraher said:
@XVision84 said:

O yes there is a performance hit. Even with a RTX 2080 at 1080p highest settings RTX off gives between 80-100 fps while RTX on tends to be around 40-50 FPS on average. That is sad that a $700+ gpu cant even get a solid 60 fps avearge with RT at 1080p.

Problem is that for you to have any real RT with decent performance you have to have RTX 2080/S or 2080ti. The 2060 or Super and RTX 2070 or Super do not have enough processing power for Ray tracing to give a solid experience. For someone who has a GTX 1080, A 2060 is a downgrade, RTX 2070 is a side grade, RTX 2080 is at best minor upgrade and 2080ti is a moderate upgrade not worth premium.

Actually, the 2070 Super is 15% more powerful than the 1080 in raw power.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-Super-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4048vs3603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@04dcarraher: I just explained to you that a RTX 2060 can do 1080p 60fps with RT in control. You just need to use DLSS. RTX 2080 can handle 1440p 70fps with ray tracing max and DLSS.

The fact that we can even run real time ray tracing right now is amazing.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 04dcarraher

@XVision84 said:

@04dcarraher: I just explained to you that a RTX 2060 can do 1080p 60fps with RT in control. You just need to use DLSS. RTX 2080 can handle 1440p 70fps with ray tracing max and DLSS.

The fact that we can even run real time ray tracing right now is amazing.

Rendering the game at half the resolution and upscaling to 1080p/1440p is not the same as native resolution. You lose detail and introduce graphical anomalies. So there again Your making sacrifices for minor additions for a performance lost.

Current RTX cards are still not ready for real time ray tracing too many compromises with quality and performance.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 04dcarraher
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-Super-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/4048vs3603

Its still a side grade..... and a waste of money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@04dcarraher: DLSS + freestyle sharpening looks extremely similar to native res. This has been well documented and is also stated in the OP. I know this because I actually use it. If 100fps 1440p isn't ready to you then I'd love to know your definition of ready :P.

If you're not interested in RTX then that's great, but describing to me the performance of my own GPU is just silly lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro  Online
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Uh, yeah, it's pretty damn easy to tell which one is ray traced. This isn't as obvious as night and day?

My point has been confirmed. Thanks for the assist.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By 04dcarraher

@XVision84 said:

@04dcarraher: DLSS + freestyle sharpening looks extremely similar to native res. This has been well documented and is also stated in the OP. I know this because I actually use it. If 100fps 1440p isn't ready to you then I'd love to know your definition of ready :P.

If you're not interested in RTX then that's great, but describing to me the performance of my own GPU is just silly lol.

Not quite..... Apparently your not looking close enough to see the loss in quality and see the artifacts DLSS introduces..... If you dont see it, lucky for you but dont claim that DLSS and RTX is viable with today's hardware without compromises to quality and performance.

Ray tracing (RTX) is interesting but dont blindly over look the issues.

Nvidia quote "While the image processing algorithm is a good solution for Control, the approximation falls short in handling certain types of motion. Let’s look at an example of native 1080p vs. 1080p DLSS in Control. Notice how the flames on the right are not as well defined as in native resolution."

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DragonfireXZ95
@04dcarraher said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

No, that's an upgrade. A side grade is lateral. It's a small upgrade, but it's still an upgrade.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 04dcarraher

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@04dcarraher said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

No, that's an upgrade. A side grade is lateral. It's a small upgrade, but it's still an upgrade.

Spending another $500-$600 for a 15% gain is not a upgrade...... Thats a rip off. I see your point that technicality its a small upgrade. But it reality its a bad choice which is why its considered a "side grade".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@Pedro: In terms of comment invalidity, Pedro absolutely outdoes any Gamespot poster ever. - XVision84. :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro  Online

@XVision84: Not sure why you hate the truth.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@Pedro: Okay, so you're a bit blind. None of us is perfect. How about this one, then?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro  Online

@DragonfireXZ95: There is a difference but the difference is NOT night and day. Unless you don't know the difference between night and day.

I am sorry that I am not a fan of gross exaggeration. :(

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DragonfireXZ95
@Pedro said:

@DragonfireXZ95: There is a difference but the difference is NOT night and day. Unless you don't know the difference between night and day.

I am sorry that I am not a fan of gross exaggeration. :(

The window reflection is night and day. Did you see that one?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@04dcarraher: I didn't say it looked exactly like native res. I said it looks very close to native res and you'll find the same thing stated in other gaming sites. I've got 20/20 vision and I have played games all my life. Can't tell the difference at all while playing.

There are artifacts which are noticeable when playing, but that's not a product of DLSS (at least from my experience). That's a product of how Control handles ray tracing.

The difference in that fire effect is so minimal you wouldn't even know while playing, lol. Is that your indicator of RTX not being ready? I'll gladly take that if it means I'll get real time ray tracing at 100fps.

I didn't say RTX has no issues, I said it looks amazing and runs very well. The issues are being ironed out with each new game and hopefully future hardware.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro  Online

@DragonfireXZ95: If you have to spend the time to point it out, it is not night and day. Its that simple.

Exhibit A

@glez13 said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@04dcarraher: It's a 15% upgrade just in terms of raw power. Let's not forget it's fully capable of ray tracing too. Even if you don't do ray tracing and you just use DLSS + sharpening, you'll get a ~40% fps boost over a 1080.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DragonfireXZ95
@Pedro said:

@DragonfireXZ95: If you have to spend the time to point it out, it is not night and day. Its that simple.

Exhibit A

@glez13 said:

Um, did you even look at them?

I'll post them again.

The other ones I can understand for those not suited to picking out fine details, but this is literally center of the damn screenshot.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro  Online

@DragonfireXZ95: "There is a difference but the difference is NOT night and day. Unless you don't know the difference between night and day." Pedro

Which section of the above comment was confusing?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@Pedro: Just joking Pedro, your posting quality is impeccable :). It's more noticeable in motion and especially in certain areas. It's night and day for me when I toggle the settings in-game.

I'm sure you can find videos online that demonstrate the difference well.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DragonfireXZ95
@Pedro said:

@DragonfireXZ95: "There is a difference but the difference is NOT night and day. Unless you don't know the difference between night and day." Pedro

Which section of the above comment was confusing?

That is night and day. Can you honestly look at that last screenshot and tell me that you had to look hard to see her reflection in the window?