Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 14985 Posts

After playing Quantum Break I thought Remedy has lost its magic. I even made a thread here about it and expressed my worries in it. You guys participated in it too. For me, Quantum Break had great storyline and visuals but gameplay was above average at best. Shooting was ok but level design was atrocious. I didn't watch any gameplay footage of Control because of the reasons mentioned above. I had no interest in it. I got the game still because I was sure that at least the story will be good. Then reviews started coming in and I observed that it was being received quite well.

Started playing it as soon as I could. Boy oh boy, was I blown away by it. First of all, the story like any Remedy game is weird as bal1s and amazing. Gunplay is best Remedy has ever executed since first Max Payne games. Level design? MILES, I repeat, MILES ahead of Quantum Break. Fully destructible environments, check, Fast paced gunplay, check, sandbox environments that give you a lot of freedom, check, skill based gameplay instead of RPG mumbo jumbo in a shooter, check, Amazing and creative puzzles, check, beautiful songs, check, Handcrafted side quests, freaking check MOFOS.

Of course, like any other game, it has flaws too. First of all, you only respawn at certain hotspots. Then you have to run where you died. It only takes a few seconds but it becomes a bit annoying sometimes but I got over it because it was part of the story, so it was understandable (just like how lights restore health and save the game in Alan Wake). Upgrade system is a bit odd. To be honest, I didn't fully understand it, even after finishing the game. I didn't know what I was doing. Another thing I didn't like is, sometimes you wanna explore and then you encounter enemies in location that you already cleaned up once. Sure it makes sense from story's perspective because Hiss keeps corrupting people and all that, and you can also run and avoid them, the second time (first time you HAVE to kill them to proceed) but still, it was a bit annoying.

Performance was rock solid on my decent (but nothing special like you RTX brats)'s machine. I ran it on DX11 without Ray tracing. Everything else was set on max. I heard there are stuttering issues on DX12 mode. I don't know, I haven't tried DX12 version. I think a lot of new PC gamers just wanna max out everything at 4k and then whine about not being able to run the game at 60fps, not realizing that ultra settings are there to future proof the title.

Anyway,,, Remedy is back and I'm extremely excited for Alan Wake's inevitable sequel now. There are a lot of Alan Wake easter egg. Something tells me, Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break and Control, all take place in same universe and are somehow connected because her town Ordinary was supposed to be main setting for Alan Wake's canceled sequel back then. Go and play this game birtches.

Solid 9/10.

I'm out.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 35528 Posts

Wasn't keen on Alan Wake, but love Max Payne.

Pick it up in a sale, suppose.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 GoldenElementXL  Online
Member since 2016 • 3495 Posts

Looks like a game I would use to benchmark PC hardware more than actually play.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 10732 Posts

Worst Remedy game easily.

yeah level design is fine but gunplay just suck and enemies are bulletsponges. its more of action or RPG like game than pure third person shooter.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 38570 Posts

I for one personally love Control! This game has met my hype and all my expectations, I even took pics and display them in the Screenshot thread if you want to take a look and the Ray-tracing feature is soooo gooood, my 2070 is handling it fairly solid too.

Control gets an 9/10 and I just love using my Telekinesis powers, this is what Quantum Break should have been but then again, QB was enjoyable for me.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cloud_imperium
@ghosts4ever said:

yeah level design is fine but gunplay just suck and enemies are bulletsponges. its more of action or RPG like game than pure third person shooter.

Lol. fEmaLe pRotaGoniSt, sO i'Ll hAtE iT. End it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cloud_imperium
@davillain- said:

I for one personally love Control! This game has met my hype and all my expectations, I even took pics and display them in the Screenshot thread if you want to take a look and the Ray-tracing feature is soooo gooood, my 2070 is handling it fairly solid too.

Control gets an 9/10 and I just love using my Telekinesis powers, this is what Quantum Break should have been but then again, QB was enjoyable for me.

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed it too. Off to Screenshot thread.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cloud_imperium
@uninspiredcup said:

Wasn't keen on Alan Wake, but love Max Payne.

Pick it up in a sale, suppose.

It plays like modern version of Max Payne. Heavily skill based and surprisingly challenging at times.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ghosts4ever
@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:

protagonist doesnot change that game has terrible shooting mechanics. and its more going to RPG like routes with upgrades and others. come on my friend.

beside they cast james mccaffery. why cant they made him a protagonist? oh wait. reset era would hate it. but anyways, it has nice graphics and enviroment but gameplaywise it just not very good.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 31715 Posts

Ghosts hates it so it must be a great game that's well worth playing.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain-  Moderator

@Cloud_imperium: I'll just re-post them here.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever
@R4gn4r0k said:

i dont hate it as much as wolfenstein or tomb raider.

i rate it like 6/10.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#13  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35693 Posts

I would place the gun mechanics on the same level of Quantum Break, this game just had more gameplay than cutscenes which added more value to the overall experience. The combat did suffer from the same problem as QB, the visuals can overwhelm you're vision at times and the low health visuals are nothing short of atrocious.

The levels are great to navigate and looks great except the last. However, when navigating with a purpose its confusing and the map is very basic.

Pacing is generally good with a few padded areas and moments with objectives being bewildering.

The best moments was the Ezam Yarthsa. It is a more refine experience to quantum break. Side not the game crashed about 4 times and two was just by paysing the game.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator

@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:

protagonist doesnot change that game has terrible shooting mechanics. and its more going to RPG like routes with upgrades and others. come on my friend.

beside they cast james mccaffery. why cant they made him a protagonist? oh wait. reset era would hate it. but anyways, it has nice graphics and enviroment but gameplaywise it just not very good.

Let me guess, your playing this game with a KB/M right? My Xbox Elite controller is doing a fantastic job as we speak. But seriously, what's wrong with the main character? She's okay, reminds me of Veronica Mars in a way.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@davillain- said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Let me guess, your playing this game with a KB/M right? My Xbox Elite controller is doing a fantastic job as we speak.

I never use controller actually. i didnot even own any controller.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghosts4ever
@Pedro said:

I would place the gun mechanics on the same level of Quantum Break, this game just had more gameplay than cutscenes which added more value to the overall experience. The combat did suffer from the same problem as QB, the visuals can overwhelm you're vision at times and the low health visuals are nothing short of atrocious.

Actually Quantum break have much better variety of weapons. in control there is only one gun that can be moddable, upgradable.

enemies are more fun to shoot in QB. enemies are very unfun here in control.

control take place in only just office building. QB take place on variety of different location.

Control is more of action adventure game with RPG elements. Quantum break was pure TPS.

now now. i want rockstar the team behind max payne 3 to make max payne 4 instead of remedy if max payne 4 happened in future.

Remedy lost thier talent. they are shadow of former self.

even though Alan wake was best third person horror game, it was no where near as good as Max payne 1.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@ghosts4ever said:

Actually Quantum break have much better variety of weapons. in control there is only one gun that can be moddable, upgradable.

control take place in only just office building. QB take place on variety of different location.

Control is more of action adventure game with RPG elements. Quantum break was pure TPS.

now now. i want rockstar the team behind max payne 3 to make max payne 4 instead of remedy if max payne 4 happened in future.

even though Alan wake was best third person horror game, it was no where near as good as Max payne 1.

Actually the gun can change into at least four different guns that each behave differently.

With regards to Quantum Break, nothing you say would change the reality that this is better game. If you prefer to watch cutscene and your gaming experience to be frequently interrupted, then I understand why you think Quantum Break is better.

Alan Wake was mediocre at its best and you think that is the best third person horror game. I get it, you like mediocre games.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@Pedro said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Actually the gun can change into at least four different guns that each behave differently.

With regards to Quantum Break, nothing you say would change the reality that this is better game. If you prefer to watch cutscene and your gaming experience to be frequently interrupted, then I understand why you think Quantum Break is better.

Alan Wake was mediocre at its best and you think that is the best third person horror game. I get it, you like mediocre games.

Im talking about purely based on gameplay mechanics and QB has better gameplay mechanics.

only advantage control has is not having lame TV show cutscenes.

and Yes Alan wake was fantastic game. crap all over any resident evil game. it was max payne of horror games.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cloud_imperium

@davillain-: Saw them. Looks amazing.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@davillain-: I don't know what is he talking about. I am playing with Keyboard Mouse and the game feels extremely good to play. Much better than tanky controls of QB.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@ghosts4ever said:

Im talking about purely based on gameplay mechanics and QB has better gameplay mechanics.

and Yes Alan wake was fantastic game. crap all over any resident evil game. it was max payne of horror games.

I was talking about gameplay and the part of the gameplay is the pacing. The pacing in the QB is terrible and the gun mechanics in Control is at the minimum on the same level as QB with more options in verticality and combat variety.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5102 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

True Story

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever
@Pedro said:
Tas@ghosts4ever said:

I was talking about gameplay and the part of the gameplay is the pacing. The pacing in the QB is terrible and the gun mechanics in Control is at the minimum on the same level as QB with more options in verticality and combat variety.

tbh, game actually got better once i get more power. but there no denying that combat is incredibly dumb and mediocre. and story is not really good.

graphics and atmosphere is fantastic.

thats why my rating improve to 6/10.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@ghosts4ever: So, all of this ranting and raving was due to your ignorance. How about you play games to a point where you have enough information to wager complaints before just spewing nonsense?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever
@Pedro said:

@ghosts4ever: So, all of this ranting and raving was due to your ignorance. How about you play games to a point where you have enough information to wager complaints before just spewing nonsense?

but why it take too too long for a game to get little bit of interesting?

beside shooting still suck. thats my point.

compare this to Max payne 3. Max payne 3 was a masterpiece in literally in every single way.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pedro

@ghosts4ever said:

compare this to Max payne 3. Max payne 3 was a masterpiece in literally in every single way.

If the shooting sucks in this game then Quantum Break shooting also sucks.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever
@Pedro said:
@ghosts4ever said:

If the shooting sucks in this game then Quantum Break shooting also sucks.

exactly QB shooting also suck but atleast it has variety in different weapons and enemies are more interesting to shoot.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 3988 Posts

Good to hear. I really liked Quantam Break, so I should love this. Any plans to bring it to Steam?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pedro

@ghosts4ever said:

exactly QB shooting also suck but atleast it has variety in different weapons and enemies are more interesting to shoot.

As stated before, there is weapon variety and the enemies are just as varied as quantum break. They have been using the same formula for their games' mechanics for decades, so your argument as far as I am concern lacks legitimacy.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#30 phbz  Online
Member since 2009 • 4717 Posts

This is what I was expecting. An improvement on QB combat, plus a return to the Twin Peaks/Twilight Zone vibes. With great level design and art style. It's a game made specifically for me. And the main character kicks ass, it would eat Doom Guy for breakfast.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#31  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 7474 Posts

I won't pay full price for a year-old game when it finally comes to Steam, so ill wait for it to be on sale when I can buy it from somewhere that isn't EGS, if it isnt forgotten by then that is.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1328 Posts

@davillain-: haha, I thought you were being cute and snuck this in as your second to last screenshot :)

https://youtu.be/Sv6dMFF_yts

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k
@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

i rate it like 6/10.

You forgot Battlefield

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k
@pelvist said:

I won't pay full price for a year-old game when it finally comes to Steam, so ill wait for it to be on sale when I can buy it from somewhere that isn't EGS, if it isnt forgotten by then that is.

When games have an EGS exclusivity contract for a year, i really doubt they will come to Steam full price.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever
@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

i rate it like 6/10.

You forgot Battlefield

Im lucky that i only tried beta version instead of wasting money and realized how bad series is..

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 129 Posts

Looks mediocre tbh

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28713 Posts

Game looks great and I really enjoyed Alan Wake and Quantum Break. If there weren’t so many other games coming out this month I’d definitely be playing it right now. Hopefully I’ll get around to picking it up in the next month or so.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k
@ghosts4ever said:

Im lucky that i only tried beta version instead of wasting money and realized how bad series is..

Wasting money? What on earth are you even talking about?

You didn't buy Control either...

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3401 Posts

The consensus from what i have read is that the game looks great, has good physics, but is repetitive, lacks enemy/setting variety.

And you can basically run through the entire game with the same 2-3 attacks.

I might try it durring a sale

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cloud_imperium
@phbz said:

This is what I was expecting. An improvement on QB combat, plus a return to the Twin Peaks/Twilight Zone vibes. With great level design and art style. It's a game made specifically for me. And the main character kicks ass, it would eat Doom Guy for breakfast.

It's definitely return to form for Remedy. It's good old Remedy doing what they do best.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cloud_imperium
@jeezers said:

The consensus from what i have read is that the game looks great, has good physics, but is repetitive, lacks enemy/setting variety.

And you can basically run through the entire game with the same 2-3 attacks.

I might try it durring a sale

1. If by repetition you mean killing enemies like any other shooter then yeah. Otherwise no. The game's level design and variety of enemies force you to think out of the box. There are your average soldiers, then there are shielded ones, then there are the ones who have same telek. abilities as you have and are heavily armored, there are bosses, there are different types of flying enemies, there are the ones who launch suicidal attack and explode after getting close to you, there are poisonous plants, there are hybrids who spit venom, there are cursed/altered items, there is sewer infection and so on. So not true.

2. The game takes place in The Office but there is a lot of variety in locations. There are halls, sewers, puzzle houses, corridors you have to fly through, big empty spaces where you fight some bosses, dream sequences, construction sites, rubble, dump, office rooms, infested zones, vertical environments, damaged locations and so on. Wrong there too.

3. If you are going to try 2 or 3 moves, you're not gonna cut it. As I mentioned above (forgive me in case I forgot to mention it, because I thought I have), the game becomes surprisingly challenging at times and pushes you to your limits. You have to think out of the box. You have to use something you learned very early in the game but forgot about it. Everything comes in handy at some point and you have to use everything at your disposal and make right choices at the right time. You can get killed if you hesitate for a second. It's very skilled based old school game. And till the end of the game, you keep getting new abilities. All of em bring something new to the table and change the rules entirely. Keeps things fresh.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ghosts4ever
@Cloud_imperium said:
@phbz said:

It's definitely return to form for Remedy. It's good old Remedy doing what they do best.

return of remedy would be if they make gameplay as perfect as max payne 3.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 2810 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: Thanks for the write up. Another game to add to the wishlist for sale time.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3206 Posts

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

Good to hear. I really liked Quantam Break, so I should love this. Any plans to bring it to Steam?

Yes, August 2020 https://store.steampowered.com/app/870780/Control/

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cloud_imperium
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@phbz said:

Lol. 7 hours long game with 3 hours long poorly written cutscenes and cover based gameplay. Now suddenly cover based system will be OK with you because it suits your agenda. You are just a sexist person who can't play anything other than run and gun shooters. Nothing more.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ghosts4ever
@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@phbz said:

Lol. 7 hours long game with 3 hours long poorly written cutscenes and cover based gameplay. Now suddenly cover based system will be OK with you because it suits your agenda. You are just a sexist person who can't play anything other than run and gun shooters. Nothing more.

so only sexist play run and gun shooter and FPS games??

wow thats new to me. my friend, have you been in reset era lately?

and what my agenda? max payne 3 cover is optional. its gameplay mechanics blow anything third person shooter out of water.

and i enjoyed its story, it was well written. in control i have no idea whats going on. is it really written by sam lake?

im not even hating on control other than its gameplay mechanics. i praise its graphics and enviroment.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1894 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Cloud_imperium said:
@phbz said:

Max Payne 3 has a cover system that's almost completely optional. It has far more replay value than Control thanks to its multiplayer, which Remedy claimed they wanted to put in the original Max Payne but never bother to put in any of their games even now. Show me a scripted, coded opponent as creative as a human player in any game. Control's enemies are dumb.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3401 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: your not selling me on enemy variation, from what you listed are... 3 variations of a soildier and 2 flying enemies...

It looks like you can go through the entire game pew pew, phychic throw, pewpew phychic throw, and the other stuff you get is just to switch up the gameplay, not to help you beat harder challenges, but to unlock for the sake of unlocking it

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 769 Posts

Yeah this game looks great. I'll pick it up pretty soon. Quantum Break was so blah that I, too, did not have high expectations for Control. I'm happy to be proved wrong in this case.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25591 Posts

Yeah, it's way better than Quantum Break. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.