Consoles seem to be taking a worrying route, that of smartphones

This topic is locked from further discussion.

italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By italygamer
Member since 2009 • 668 Posts

I think Ps4 Pro and Xbox One X just marked the beginning of an era where the gap between hardware revisions will narrow down to the point that we may one day have yearly releases, just like smartphones. The good news may be that you'll still be able to play games on your "older" piece of hardware, but at a worse performance, or enjoying less whistles and bells present in the newer versions.

What do you guys think about such scenario?

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

It's only natural, seeing the rate at which tech is advancing. And it makes sense business wise. I don't see the problem with it, if anything, being stuck with a piece of hardware for over 5 years, in this day and age, is ridiculous; that also means holding back progress. The 5-6 years generation gap is no more a viable option.

italygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 italygamer
Member since 2009 • 668 Posts

@pitty8982 said:

It's only natural, seeing the rate at which tech is advancing. And it makes sense business wise. I don't see the problem with it, if anything, being stuck with a piece of hardware for over 5 years, in this day and age, is ridiculous; that also means holding back progress. The 5-6 years generation gap is no more a viable option.

Game development is not something you do in a short time, it generally takes years to make a video game. Generations also allow devs to develop and optimize effectively on a specific hardware, so I don't know why that'd not a "viable" option.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I don't think we'll be seeing updated consoles as anywhere near as often as smartphones... it's a different market. Phil Spencer has specifically said that they aren't interested in releasing new consoles unless it offers a significant upgrade. So i don't think it'll get as bad as you are suggesting.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

That's not the route I'm seeing happening. The route is subscription/cloud gaming, we may not be ready now, but I'd say in 5-10 years gamers will just Neflix their games without the need of specific console boxes. There are already several services out there offering cloud gaming, such as Geforce Now, LiquidSky, Snoost and others. Then we have the rise of subscription gaming services such as Game Pass and Origin Access, offering pretty neat libraries for a fixed price that you' pay monthly or yearly. I think that is the future.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Smartphones and game consoles are very different beasts and I really don’t see game consoles coming out with upgraded models every year or even every 2 years. I can see a mid gen refresh at around 3 to 4 years though and then 3 to 4 years after that have a new generation come out. I’m cool with that myself.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Not even remotely close. If the pro and scorpio outsold the original versions, then it would be time to panic but the conventional attitude towards consoles is simply nothing like smart phones. Also, consoles dont have a battery that goes to absolute crap with constant use over the course of a year or two. The psychology and reality of consoles is very different. Also, game development cycles will always be a hard limit on how quickly they can be replaced.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#8  Edited By so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

No one knows what the trend is. Tablets were once thought of as a threat, but they've been dismissed now.

Then there was the thought that PC would supplant powerful consoles - well, they haven't even supplanted comparatively low-powered systems (Switch).

Then there was the thought that freemium gaming would kill AAA gaming - that's not happening either.

So I think consoles will be available as pure gaming machines for a while longer.