Console players, do you pay for online services?

• 101 results
Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Console players, do you pay for online services? (68 votes)

Yes 75%
No 25%

A question for those who own a console such as Playstation, Xbox, or Switch. Do you pay for online services such as PS+ or Xbox live?

• 
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 35113 Posts

Yeah. I currently pay for Xbox Live Gold and Nintendo Switch Online.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 10778 Posts

Yeah. I have Plus. This year is actually really paying off.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 10856 Posts

Nah, screw that noise. Ain't paid for online since 2013 I think. There might have been one year where I got a 50% off PS+ but other than that, I just game on PC. Most PS exclusives are single-player focused so no need to pay for online most of the time.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 16115 Posts

I currently have Nintendo Online but that's it

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 7185 Posts

Paying 35 bucks a month for Live, gp for console, eaplay, xcloud, gp for pc, games with gold and an xsx.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 4002 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Nah, screw that noise. Ain't paid for online since 2013 I think. There might have been one year where I got a 50% off PS+ but other than that, I just game on PC. Most PS exclusives are single-player focused so no need to pay for online most of the time.

If it was your only system, if you didn't have the PC to play multiplayer titles, would you pay for PS+ then?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 50965 Posts

PS+ and GP Ultimate.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3845 Posts

I pay for Game Pass Ultimate, to get access to tons of great games. It also happens to come with online multiplayer access on Xbox, which I rarely use.

That said, I know this is just you trying to push your "console players pay for online hurr-durr pc master race ftw" narrative. Have fun with that.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 6170 Posts

Nope, hate subs full stop.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eoten

@UnnDunn said:

I pay for Game Pass Ultimate, to get access to tons of great games. It also happens to come with online multiplayer access on Xbox, which I rarely use.

That said, I know this is just you trying to push your "console players pay for online hurr-durr pc master race ftw" narrative. Have fun with that.

If a large majority of people with consoles do pay for online services, then give me one reason why the price of it should not be included when discussing the costs of console gaming.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28820 Posts

yes

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28820 Posts
@eoten said:
@UnnDunn said:

If a large majority of people with consoles do pay for online services, then give me one reason why the price of it should not be included when discussing the costs of console gaming.

A conspiracy by the manufacturers specifically to piss you off.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3845 Posts

@eoten said:
@UnnDunn said:

Because no matter how large a majority of console players pay for online services, such payments are still optional, and you can have a console that provides tons of great games and entertainment without paying for online services. I have a PS4. I don't pay for PlayStation+. It still lets me play great games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-Man and God of War. And it even lets me play F2P online games (and soon, Xbox will allow this as well.)

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 16772 Posts

Generally no.

In fact here's my complete history:

Paid for XBL in late 2008 for one year, never renewed.

Paid for Switch online when they first started charging, for a year. Got another year after that for free which expired last October. Never renewed since but might in the future if I absolutely want to.

That's it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 621 Posts

@eoten:

1 - It's completely optional. Many people don't give two shits about online.

2 - If you do care, you can still play every single FTP game without it, which is what most people play anyway. Games like Apex Legends, Warzone, Genshin Impact, Fortnite, etc.

3 - You can get a year subscription for $30 during big sales like black Friday, and you get around 24 games or more, usually well known titles that you might have considered buying at some point. With 2 $15 games that you would have bought you already make up for the price, plus 22 more games, extra discounts, in-game items, etc.

Hermits act like this is just "$60 a year for online". It's not. The value is there.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ___gamemaster__  Online
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

this is my first time paying for online service. its due to ps collection on ps5. 18 free games and most of it i havent played. its one of my best purchases ever.

edit: 3 free games every month sweeten this deal. and only paid 25$ for one year.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 47598 Posts

Never full price, but yes

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 58499 Posts

I re-up if I wanna play a console game online or grab something from PS+. Same thing I do on PC if there's something EA/UBI/MS are offering, and I don't wanna pay full price.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 45612 Posts

I paid for abit when I got a Switch.

Quickly realized was getting the piss taken out of me and went back to Steam for my Street Fightering, for free.

Ah, but roms you can find in 5 minutes that Nintendo tried to blanket out of existence to justify forcing you to pay to play online.

Oh gee whiz, when you put it like that.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@eoten: paying 25 cash every 3 months will always be more achievable than having 500 to 5000 to spend at once every like 4 to 6 years.

But you can factor that in if you want.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Eoten

@Livecommander said:

@eoten: paying 25 cash every 3 months will always be more achievable than having 500 to 5000 to spend at once every like 4 to 6 years.

But you can factor that in if you want.

Jesus Christ every time someone who has never built a gaming PC talks about building a gaming PC they always exaggerate to some ridiculous extreme. $5,000? Are you kidding me? My current gaming PC isn't far behind from where consoles are at and I only paid $700 for it, years ago. My last gaming PC was built for $700 a year before the PS4 and XBO came out and outperforms even the pro versions of those consoles to this day, that when online costs are considered, cost MORE than my PC did.

If instead of paying $220 for the GPU I have now I paid $320 for a 3060, I'd surpass PS5/XSS performance for $100 more, so $800 in total, which is less than what those consoles will cost over their lifespan.

The reality is that consoles themselves may be sold at a loss, but addition charges to actually use them will quickly bring the costs of those consoles up to equal or higher than the cost of a PC that will surpass it. If a PC gamer decides to upgrade after 5 years, rather than 7 like console players do, it's not because the hardware suddenly stopped being better than a console, it's because they have the option to do so, an option console players do not get.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

£12 a year for gamepass ultimate.

.though a xmas deal where it was £1 for three months means this year i pay £10

philamona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 philamona
Member since 2020 • 50 Posts

Even though I own a Switch and while the annual fee for Switch Online is $20 (compared to the annual fee for the Xbox online service), I felt it is not worth the price as I rarely play games online.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 1713 Posts

Yup. PSN and Switch online. Not sure why I even bothered to pay for Switch online.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 7185 Posts

@eoten: Because the cost is optional. I suppose it’s like the people who try and match a pc build with a console and always seem to leave out the uhd drive. Besides, you can play online without a subscription on all consoles now.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 37326 Posts

I'll never pay a monthly fee to get access to the other half of my game.

So no

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 11665 Posts

Yes but not for online, just for the free games. I pay $30/year, sometimes $40/year for ps plus. The free games are well worth that. I've been doing a little gaming on PC lately and am constantly getting cheaters/hackers. Never experienced that on console before.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 8781 Posts

@eoten: PC gaming is so cheap when you guys are trying to convince console gamers, yet when you talk about it with other PC fanboys the ugly truth comes out, it's not cheap if you want a good rig. Hell a guy I work with just built a new gaming PC from the ground up (don't know the specs don't care) and it cost him $3200. No matter what route you take (pc or console) it's not a cheap hobby (normally).

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Yes i do, hermits bang on the Gold is the cost of a game every year, blah, blah, blah. Well MS gives you access to 3 to 4 games a month, so when you take the price of those 40+ games a year, you're actually getting a great deal, and then they maintain their online services and keep most of the cheaters off the service and on PC where they belong.

So yeah its a bargain.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 20706 Posts

Nah. Rarely game on consoles and when I do it's not for the online gaming lol.

Think the last time I paid a online sub was gen 7.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eoten

@vfighter said:

@eoten: PC gaming is so cheap when you guys are trying to convince console gamers, yet when you talk about it with other PC fanboys the ugly truth comes out, it's not cheap if you want a good rig. Hell a guy I work with just built a new gaming PC from the ground up (don't know the specs don't care) and it cost him $3200. No matter what route you take (pc or console) it's not a cheap hobby (normally).

Then that guy built something far above and beyond what is actually necessary to PC game at a much higher level than console gamers can. $700 is about what I spend on a gaming PC, that's it. And my last one lasted 7 years before I replaced it. Not $3k, not $2k, just $700, less than what you're going to pay for a PS5/XSS with online services.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@eoten said:
@vfighter said:

Then that guy built something far above and beyond what is actually necessary to PC game at a much higher level than console gamers can. $700 is about what I spend on a gaming PC, that's it. And my last one lasted 7 years before I replaced it. Not $3k, not $2k, just $700, less than what you're going to pay for a PS5/XSS with online services.

You keep talking shit about online services like that's a hermits greatest weapon against console gamers, well with my cheap online subscription i get access to over 40 games per year, that costs way more than the price of that subscription.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I bough a year of XBL for Halo MCC game was trash and canceled my service with them since 2015.

I played and use PS+ for couple years loved playing Super Meat Boy and Rocket league for free but it wasn't worth it to me anymore so I canceled.

I have been with Nintendo Switch online for a year an ahalf and I will be sticking with them permanently for. 20 dollars a year as the SNES app is a god send and the NES app is fine.

PS+ and XBL aren't on the same level as nintendo online for the amount of value you get those are trash and there more expensive so there even bigger trash.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 35113 Posts

While the reason I pay for things like Xbox Live Gold is mainly because I play a lot of online multiplayer stuff the “free” monthly games have more then paid for themselves. Then you add in some of the extra savings on some sales for Gold members and it’s just even more worth it. In a year’s time I get much more value for the $70 CDN that I pay for the service without ever factoring in the amount of time I spend playing online multiplayer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ProtossRushX said:

I bough a year of XBL for Halo MCC game was trash and canceled my service with them since 2015.

I played and use PS+ for couple years loved playing Super Meat Boy and Rocket league for free but it wasn't worth it to me anymore so I canceled.

I have been with Nintendo Switch online for a year an ahalf and I will be sticking with them permanently for. 20 dollars a year as the SNES app is a god send and the NES app is fine.

PS+ and XBL aren't on the same level as nintendo online for the amount of value you get those are trash and there more expensive so there even bigger trash.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 538 Posts

I think whoever plays on console who pays for it should always include it in the price when talking about their choice to game on console and the costs of it vs the costs of it if they chose to game on PC instead. If a console gamer does choose not to pay for it and does not care or want to play at cost games online then they don't have to count it into the costs when talking about price of gaming on console. I myself if I ever got a console would not pay for online since I would only play SP games that are not on PC if I did get at console. I also think the argument of it is a great value is a whole different argument altogether, it may be a great value but if you pay for it, you have to count it into the cost. That being said any gaming hobby PC or console is expensive and play on whatever you like, however you like, why anyone cares how others like to play video games is beyond me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@latech84 said:

I think whoever plays on console who pays for it should always include it in the price when talking about their choice to game on console and the costs of it vs the costs of it if they chose to game on PC instead. If a console gamer does not choose to pay for it and does not care or want to play at cost games online then they should be able to not count it on that specific case for that specific person. I myself if I ever got a console would not pay for online since I would only play SP games that are not on PC if I did get at console. I also think the argument of it is a great value is a whole different argument altogether, it may be a great value but if you pay for it, you have to count it into the cost. That being said any gaming hobby PC or console is expensive and play on whatever you like, however you like, why anyone cares how others like to play video games is beyond me.

Yeah if your a console gamer just own it. Say I pay for 60 dollars a year for PS+ and XBL and I pay 120 a year to them and im out pacing the a price of a PC that has free online. Own your situation your paying that your paying way more than PC gamers year after year just own it and accept it. Don't go oh well maybe its fine or something no dude.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 28021 Posts

Yeah, Switch online. I don't think such a piss poor service should cost anything at all, but at least I'm a member of a family account and pay very little. 35 bucks divided between 8 people, so around 4-5 bucks per year.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GoldenElementXL  Online
Member since 2016 • 5796 Posts

Yes, all of them

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Eoten

@latech84 said:

I think whoever plays on console who pays for it should always include it in the price when talking about their choice to game on console and the costs of it vs the costs of it if they chose to game on PC instead. If a console gamer does choose not to pay for it and does not care or want to play at cost games online then they don't have to count it into the costs when talking about price of gaming on console. I myself if I ever got a console would not pay for online since I would only play SP games that are not on PC if I did get at console. I also think the argument of it is a great value is a whole different argument altogether, it may be a great value but if you pay for it, you have to count it into the cost. That being said any gaming hobby PC or console is expensive and play on whatever you like, however you like, why anyone cares how others like to play video games is beyond me.

Sure, but the people arguing we shouldn't include the cost of online services in with the price of consoles are the people who pay for those online services. It's simply dishonest to intentionally mislead people on the cost of consoles hoping to score some kind of win for team Sony or team Microsoft by trying to convince people of some kind of value that isn't really there.

LAtech84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LAtech84
Member since 2017 • 538 Posts

@eoten said:
@latech84 said:

Sure, but the people arguing we shouldn't include the cost of online services in with the price of consoles are the people who pay for those online services. It's simply dishonest to intentionally mislead people on the cost of consoles hoping to score some kind of win for team Sony or team Microsoft by trying to convince people of some kind of value that isn't really there.

I agree.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7604 Posts

Only for Bloodborne or Demon's Souls. So a few months here and there.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13446 Posts

Plus and GPU. I never pay full price, always buy when it's discounted. Still pay too much for the amount of online gaming I actually do, but between discounts and free* games, it tends to be worthwhile.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@Archangel3371 said:

While the reason I pay for things like Xbox Live Gold is mainly because I play a lot of online multiplayer stuff the “free” monthly games have more then paid for themselves. Then you add in some of the extra savings on some sales for Gold members and it’s just even more worth it. In a year’s time I get much more value for the $70 CDN that I pay for the service without ever factoring in the amount of time I spend playing online multiplayer.

But you said you only games physically how are you saving money on the xbl gold sales if your buying physically at retail shops? Dude you can keep rotating are you physical gamer or not?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-60bf765068a74
@i_p_daily said:
@ProtossRushX said:

This is the same guy who said I don't own any systems I showed all the systems I own including the PC I built myself, then he said I don't game at all I showed all the games I bought and showed my PSN Profile with my achievements like bloodborn etc.

This rabbit hole just doesn't end for this game.

IP_Daily doesn't play games thats reality he's a lem shill for microsoft he doesn't game I do. The end.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-60bf765068a74
@Litchie said:

Yeah, Switch online. I don't think such a piss poor service should cost anything at all, but at least I'm a member of a family account and pay very little. 35 bucks divided between 8 people, so around 4-5 bucks per year.

You can have 8 people on a family account? How many people can play online at one time on those things?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-60bf765068a74
@getyeryayasout said:

Plus and GPU. I never pay full price, always buy when it's discounted. Still pay too much for the amount of online gaming I actually do, but between discounts and free* games, it tends to be worthwhile.

I don't see how paying for PS+ and XBL Gold is good value pick a system and play your games online on that one why the hell would pay 2 companies 60 dollars to play multiplats online basically that doesn't even make any sense.

Pick one imo or just go PC and pay nothing thats the worst thing you can do is pay everyon 60 and just hop between everything pick a eco system and run with it.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AhReQueNoMori

@eoten You're purposely ignoring many important points about the services that me and other users have mentioned.

If I gave you $30 dollars to spend on steam you'd probably buy a couple of games. I would buy a yearly subscription to PS+ and get THIS and other benefits. It's funny because it's like they read your comments and wrote this article while laughing their asses off.

Value of PS Plus Games in 2020 Blows Subscription Costs Out of the Water

PS Plus offers great games every month for subscribers, managing to accumulate a massive value from January to December 2020.

Some may wonder how much value they received out of PS Plus this year. After all, while it's required for online play, the biggest draw is arguably the collection of "free" games. Some months offered three games, most offer two, but in total, players received quite a few games over the course of 2020.

The PS Plus Value Of 2020 Is Remarkable

To calculate this, Game Rant first compiled a list of every game made available on the service over the past year. These are made available digitally to PS Plus subscribers, and as such, the prices listed below are taken from the current price listed on the PlayStation Store (excluding any current deals).

Overall, PS Plus subscribers received 28 games in 2020 (more when breaking down the collections) that total $749.42. It's worth noting that a PS Plus subscription will usually charge players $9.99/month, while a 1-year subscription typically costs less at $59.99 (or $4.99 on top of that). On top of that, PS Plus subscriptions are constantly on sale, meaning that fans can get the subscription even cheaper than that. Using the highest cost as a baseline of comparison, however, means that players at most spent $119.88, receiving in return access to online play and video games worth $750.

• Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection - $19.99
  • Goat Simulator - $9.99
  • BioShock: The Collection - $49.99
  • The Sims 4 - $39.99
  • Firewall Zero Hour - $19.99
  • Shadow of the Colossus - $19.99
  • Sonic Forces - $19.99
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - $19.99
  • DiRt Rally 2.0 - $39.99
  • Cities Skylines - $39.99
  • Farming Simulator 2019 - $29.99
  • Call of Duty: WWII - $19.99*
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 - $19.99
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider - $29.99
  • Erica - $9.99
  • NBA 2K20 - $59.99
  • Cod MW2 Campaign Remastered - $19.99
  • Fall Guys - $19.99
  • PUBG - $29.99
  • Street Fighter 5 - $19.99
  • Need for Speed: Payback - $19.99
  • Vampyr - $39.99
  • Bugsnax (PS5) - $24.99
  • Hollow Knight - $14.99
  • Middle-Earth Shadow of War - $49.99
  • Worms Rumble - $14.99
  • Just Cause 4 - $39.99
  • Rocket Arena - $4.99
AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AhReQueNoMori

@eoten: We could even say that it makes console gaming even cheaper.

Have a nice day.