Console Peeps: why dismiss entire genres?

• 194 results
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Intro: Listen I know, usually when PC gamers make threads it comes with an overpowering feeling of elitism. And trust me a Champ thread is twice as elitist, because I'm twice as obnoxious. But I'll make my best attempts to meet you half way. For instance: I being the honorable champion that I am do the too long; didn't read part, before my actual OP.

You people: Um you only do that, because you write long ass novel posts that probably should have been condensed to 3 sentences anyway.

That doesn't invalidate my glorious decision making. So **** you.

So Too long; not reading Champ's shit: Why is it that you completely dismiss the PC genres like MMOs, strategy games, mobas, point n clicks, etc?

Now with those of you who don't have the attention span of a 5 year old, I'll get more into why I want to ask this question.

Actual OP: See what I mean by drawing this out way fucking longer than I should? right? anyway.

When it comes to the usual console vs PC garbage of PC gamers being elitist dick twinkies (lets be real: you are), and console fans being ignorant bitch muffins (lets be real: you are): when all else fails the console fans will go to the age ol "the only exclusives the PC gets are RTS games, Mobas, MMO's, point and clicks" and it's like...the PC guys never need to actually diss your exclusives this way.

In contrast the PC guys don't need to point out the disgusting majority of Playstation/Xbox exclusives fall into action games or racing games. Yes every now and then exceptions like Viva Pinata and Valkyria Chronicles happen. But otherwise it's a whole lot of shooting dudes in the face and vrom vrom, extra lap. With no disrespect intended to a terrific game like The Last of Us or....well no, just The Last of Us.

So for the slightly less ignorant why dismiss these games, when a majority of your exclusives fit a similar comfort food genre?

I've gone the extra step and set up your responses "well those PC genres just aren't any good".

Um why? Is it the complexity? is it the part where they have genuine depth to gameplay? is it the part where they are built for longer investment times than one n done flavor of the month spectacles? Because as gaming enthusiasts, specifically the type that dissed the Wii for leaving the "hardcore" for the "casual" should you not appreaciate games with depth? should you not appreciate rich game design? should you not respect value for the dollar in terms of longevity of these games?

"Yeah but they are boring"

Why though? Because they aren't straight forward action games? They are less about reflex (RTS's noted, calm down) and more about ...thinking? You have to play on a more lateral level than you are used to? The gaming enthusiast who was bothered by shitty "casuals ruining gaming industry' don't like games where the player is demanded to think?

"I like games with stories"

So you dismiss an entire genre that has the most consistent and some of the best (if not the absolute best) story writers in the medium in point and click games? Because fundamentally speaking the point and click adventure genre is built to tell a story, and thus has the most organic writing in a video games. And it can't be a lack of love for this genre, because I know The Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us got love.

It can't be "lack of gameplay" because the ones that had crossover success on consoles, are the ones with less adventure gameplay. To the point where the gameplay part is borderline non existent. Sure the average adventure game can be far from special (1954 Alcatras and Richard and Alice are good examples of average), but in between you still get something genuinely cool like the Blackwell Epiphany, Deponia, or Kentucky Route Zero.

And when that fails: "Yeah, but that's all the PC has"

Okay whoa, let's not mistake the PC for a platform that is irrelevant to a vast majority of developers like the WiiU. It gets a lionshare of all the important third party Triple A multiplats, it's got a larger selection of indie games, downloadable only games, and niche games that either are less prominent on consoles (Horror games for instance) or games that can't be done on consoles without stripping away the depth from those games (the aformentioned strategy games, mobas, mmos, etc).

So yeah, why dismiss a bunch of clearly well designed games?

For the record this isn't a why don't you PC thread. That one is fucking easy. More expensive buy in and lack of interest in PC, which is whatever you don't want to game on a platform that gives the consumer genuine choice, flexibility, and options.

Dismissing entire genres based entirely on preference though? seems really misguided given the gap in gameplay depth.

I wait my just deserts and my lolchampthreads.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

I'll weigh in by saying I don't.

lolfreedomfreakcontribution

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

because they can't play them

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

tldr

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jg4xchamp

@freedomfreak said:

I'll weigh in by saying I don't.

lolfreedomfreakcontribution

Best kind of contributions.

Your actual posts are the sigs with that white chick with the big knockers. The text part? usually inconsequential to my happiness.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i've heard some pretty good reasons from consolites. for rts, some of them just aren't interested in playing games with a mouse and keyboard, and i think that's OK.

and i thought this thread was refreshing in its goodness.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

The only genre I dismiss is Mobas. Too competitive and complex for my tastes.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Well that isn't close to being accurate... perhaps because they grew tired of those genres?

Personally I find MMO, and Mobas to be a waste of time. Though everyone is allowed to enjoy/dismiss whatever they want.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I'm not into the racing genre.

It's not from the lack of trying over the span of decades (From NFS to Burnout to GT to Forza to Sega Rally), I just don't like playing them. Even Mario Kart tests my patience with friends or without. Eh.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

Best kind of contributions.

Your actual posts are the sigs with that white chick with the big knockers. The text part? usually inconsequential to my happiness.

You know what? I'm totally okay with that.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

Because they´re not available on consoles. Many of them would tell you they wouldn´t be interested in those games in the first place but we all know that most of them do,just look at Elite: Dangerous and the very slim chance it would get eventually ported to the PS4,got some of them already excited,if it ends up never being ported just like so many other games that were sure to have ports in the past then they´ll tell you they never cared in the first place.

They´re fooling no one but themselves,they know there´s tons of stuff on the PC they want. The fanboys that is.

Everything else is generally just personal preference or never having played some games in certain genres in the first place.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@SolidTy said:

It's not from the lack of trying over the span of decades (From NFS to Burnout to GT to Forza to Sega Rally), I just don't like playing them. Even Mario Kart tests my patience with friends or without. Eh.

Maybe you suck at them? Do you drive a auto-trash?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They don't have the intelligence to understand complex gameplay. It has to be linear for them to enjoy.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

TL DR.

can anyone summarize it?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

- "LOL mmos"

- PC doesn't get Destiny

- my avatar

Also, making fun of RTS and MOBAs, but then getting super exclusited for their exclusive racing games. Basically, Nanomage sums it up.

For the record, i enjoy mmos, rts and racers.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@lostrib said:

tldr

and lolpc

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jg4xchamp

@system-reboot said:

TL DR.

can anyone summarize it? i have no patience to read huge wall of text.

After all the STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl we defended sniper, I get this kind of brotrayel. Even Mems wouldn't do me like this, he'd have the decency to at least insult me.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
@system-reboot said:

TL DR.

can anyone summarize it?

He put a TL;DR in bold and underline in the post.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I prefer action games...

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I'm not interested in those kind of games at all. Nothing against them I just find them boring as ****.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Strategy games invovle

1. Thinking

2. Investment

3. Attempting to market a game that involves thinking, limiting money (in Publishers eyes)

4. A superior control scheme for men

It appears console gaming is best suited for more simplstic affairs.

Primarily movie games.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@SolidTy said:

Maybe you suck at them? Do you drive a auto-trash?

No, I'm good at them, I just don't enjoy it. When I win or I lose, I feel nothing. When I win a Starcraft II match? I feel a sense of accomplishment. When I win in Virtua Fighter, I feel good. When I win in a racer, I don't get those euphoric highs I'm used too. I've played racers linked in the arcades with big groups, against friends at home. It's not that I'm a sore loser, most times I am in the middle of the pack or win 1 v 1, but I don't care if I win or lose. I have the reflexes for it, but I just don't care for the genre.

I have loads of RL and online friends that love racing and I don't mind that they do. Stop at their house before going to the pub and they are polishing up one more lap. I get it. I was very passionate about fighting games and not many people I meet are as passionate about that genre.

To each their own of course. I just wanted to talk about a genre I don't care for and I know others on this board love. Some people like Soccer, others like Basketball, others prefer Golf, and some people like watching Nascar. Some like all, some like none. I just never liked racing games, even going back to Pole Position. That Drive Club PS+ edition that's coming? I'll probably play that once to make sure it works and that's a stretch. Part of me hopes it never releases as I would prefer another game in that slot, lol.

I did fancy Twisted Metal 1/2, TM: Black, but I think it's because I liked the Street Fighter aspects of hidden moves, and even then I'd rather just play Street Fighter.

It could have something to do with the sports car that struck down my family when I was a young kid. I was the only survivor of 6 people, but my Mom lived long enough to tell me she loved me. I made it through, but those are back in the orphanage days which I don't discuss too much. Whatever the case, I just don't like racing games or that genre. I don't go out of my way to knock the genre though or chat in big racing threads, but since this is a thread on dismissing genres, I figured I'd post my unpopular opinion.

While I'm here, I will also say that I don't like MMOs much either. I have owned and played loads of MMOs (Everquest to WOW to Final Fantasy to Star Wars), but I don't like them that much either.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostrib

@uninspiredcup said:

Strategy games invovle

1. Thinking

2. Investment

3. Attempting to market a game that involves thinking, limiting money (in Publishers eyes)

Primarily movie games.

So you must be primarily a console gamer

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SYSTEM-REBOOT

Im PC gamer but i dont care about MMo, mobas. i play some strategy games thought.

however they dismiss because they cant play them. simple as fact.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Strategy games invovle

1. Thinking

2. Investment

Primarily movie games.

So you must be primarily a console gamer

In the last two weeks I've decided pc gaming is the best. I've been trying to deny it but given recent events, it's impossible.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@uninspiredcup said:

Strategy games invovle

1. Thinking

2. Investment

Primarily movie games.

hahahahaha

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

In the last two weeks I've decided pc gaming is the best. I've been trying to deny it but given recent events, it's impossible.

it was touch and go there for a while

welcome aboard!

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@uninspiredcup said:

Strategy games invovle

1. Thinking

2. Investment

while you have some good points but most of time you are just giving orders instead of playing game.

Thats why i prefer FPS games over strategy. I mean PC centric FPS

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Strategy games invovle

1. Thinking

2. Investment

Primarily movie games.

hahahahaha

I guess I should stop wearing panties and dresses when I play my PC games.

7MDMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 7MDMA
Member since 2014 • 315 Posts

I actually do understand the consolite hatred towards MMO's and especially that despicable genre known as MOBA because I hate those type of games myself. They're forgetting how much variety and how many different genres there are on PC besides those though, mainly because of the insane popularity of the latter.

There's a silent revolution in PC gaming taking place that highlights the diversity with a CRPG renaissance (Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Torment, Wasteland 2); games like Civ Beyond Earth, The Sims 4, Planetary Anihilation, Unreal Tournament, Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, The Forest are all totally unique and they're isolated examples of the insane variety available on the platform.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I play a flight simulator for work, I ain't playing one outside of work.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

I'm glad you mentioned "Choice" because at the end of the day.. Choice is why consolers choose playing on consoles instead of PC.

And it's not really all encompassing to mention that (SOME) Consolers dismiss certain genre's on the PC, when (MOST) PC gamers dismiss the entire console catalog of exclusives because of personal preference and or elitism.

If I can't play Killzone SF, Second Son, MLB the Show 14, ect..ect.. on the PC, acknowledge that "Hey you know what, you guys do have some pretty good games that I can't play". If Not, don't expect the same from the Consolers.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I get what you're asking, but you answered it yourself. These people are that predictable.

You gave "It's so boring" as a hypothetical answer; and what do ya know that's what most people will say without an actual justification.

I personally love strategy but for some reason my brain goes in to borderline autist mode when playing Shogun 2, they tell me my general is in trouble WHAT DO I DO AHHHH. And I really like the graphics and everything about it that's secondary, that alone gets me to play the game even if I'm constantly failing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Most of those genres simply don't catch my attention. That's not to say i'll dismiss these genres, just that for the most part, they aren't for me, and that's all i've ever argued. i'll ride the Zero Escape train all day long, and they are very much point and click in the puzzle segments. conversely, I tried Diablo 3 when the demo came out on PS3 and after 20 minutes of pressing X, decided life was too short.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@OhSnapitz said:

I'm glad you mentioned "Choice" because at the end of the day.. Choice is why consolers choose playing on consoles instead of PC.

And it's not really all encompassing to mention that (SOME) Consolers dismiss certain genre's on the PC, when (MOST) PC gamers dismiss the entire console catalog of exclusives because of personal preference and or elitism.

If I can't play Killzone SF, Second Son, MLB the Show 14, ect..ect.. on the PC, acknowledge that "Hey you know what, you guys do have some pretty good games that I can't play". If Not, don't expect the same from the Consolers.

But many pc gamers admit that games like RDR and othes not on PC are good.

Did you miss where many actually asked for pc versions? No, not begging, but i always see pc gamers ask for a pc version some.

The TC is simply saying console tend to usually dismiss RTS and mmos, which i agree since i do see it alot myself.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#36  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Well, I don't dismiss those genres. I did play some free MMORPG years ago, like Perfect World, RuneScape, Fiesta, and probably a few others. They were fun, and I would like to play more. I always wanted to try World of Warcraft.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

I like my games fun.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jg4xchamp

@OhSnapitz said:

Here is the difference. Individual games, as in exclusives vs console fans completely dismissing entire genres.

No one on the PC side tends to go oh look all the PS4 gets is shooters and a yearly sports franchise. They do the system wars thing where they tell you the game is shit without playing it. See, difference. The latter (dismissing a game without playing it) is an everybody thing, but the genre thing, that's definitely one sided.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Because all JRPGs and anime are for pedophiles. Wait, what was the question?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

People on forums dismiss them plenty but reality is much different. The most played games in the world are League of Legend and World of Warcraft (DotA may have surpassed WoW by now too). If you would add up all of the major MobA players and MMO players in the world (and I'll tell you right now that their audiences are mutually exclusive with little overlap) you would have a number that probably dwarves the combined sales of the PS4, Xbox One, and WIiU.

I believe people glorify the linear and cinematic games because they are obvious showcases of their platform. They don't take any explaining to figure out who's the main character, what's the setting, and how the game plays, and they usually have the bulk of the production values so they are pretty and well produced. They are great mascots for the respective system and really easy to point at and say "Look at this great game you don't have!", especially to non-gamers or very casual gamers. Showing somebody a DotA or Starcraft match will leave your average person just scratching their heads and probably be more confused than anything.

If these games were available on the consoles and they were decent (mmos are usually sub par on the console because of the controls) they would be played. I hear the PS4 versions of Warframe and Warthunder are doing quite well and most owners of the PS4 don't even realize they exist because Sony doesn't market them property.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@wis3boi said:

Stop implying PC gamers are superior. They are really not lol.

He's not implying that. People usually find a reason to hate on something they can't have as a coping mechanism. PC gamers do that all of the time. Whenever I tell devote PC gamers that I am a big fan of Halo they usually jump down my throat and tell me how horrible of a series it is and how other FPSs (always PC FPSs) are better. I've come to the conclusion that they hate the games just because they aren't on the PC. They never give me a reason other than that.

Those who like Halo usually have the means to play Halo. This is also why a lot of Playstation fanboys and Nintendo fanboys who refuse to buy an Xbox also usually hold a certain level of disdain for the series.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I generally find strategy games boring, not because I can't play them but because more often than not they feel like a chore.

Also with Moba's, I just don't see the charm.

Then again, I suppose this question wasn't directed at me since I already play primarily on pc.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

You have to look at both sides of the fence, you have console fanboys who try to insult, disown ect ect with so many genres like MMO's, Mobas and even indies. Then you have PC fedora wearing fanboys who try to disown games/series like TLOU, Uncharted, MGS and many other games/series and pretend they don't matter.

It's pretty much a "I'm gonna insult your mother" to someone then that person is gonna reply with "I'm gonna insult your mother too!". There's no actual ground on what these fanboys are saying cause it's just an insult game to them, you see the same shyt in sports with team rivals.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#45 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@system-reboot said:

Im PC gamer but i dont care about MMo, mobas. i play some strategy games thought.

You only like hardcore, eastern fps's, like Metro, Half-Life 2, and Stalker

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I dont dismiss any games. Really the only game I dont prefer playing is SRPG, like Civilization or Football manager.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jg4xchamp

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@system-reboot said:

You only like hardcore, eastern fps's, like Metro, Half-Life 2, and Stalker

Um Half Life 2 isn't eastern.

It's a boredom simulator. A truly unique experience in gaming.

Having too much fun in your life? Play Half Life 2

Actually played a game with entertaining gameplay so now you need to follow it up with something that doesn't have good gameplay? Play Half Life 2

Just saw the episode "Salud" of Breaking Bad and need to come back down to boringsville? Play Half Life 2

Just had an amazing anger bang, and figured you need a complete low point to follow that up? Play Half Life 2.

It's truly a special game in the tapestry of gaming.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lostrib

@scottpsfan14 said:
@wis3boi said:

Stop implying PC gamers are superior. They are really not lol.

uh, I'm sure he has in other posts, but where did he imply that in this post

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Que?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Because they're not the AAA games that get hyped everywhere and have TV commercials and superbowl ads etc.

Console games are all about hype and marketing