Console gaming = more money

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Well, you certainly could call me or any other consolite out on it, though you'd be open to being proven wrong. Instead, it's better to prove the argument itself wrong (or contradictory to some other argument) and ignore the names next to the posts entirely. And no, joking is still not an excuse. In the case of sarcasm, it's better to phrase it as a question rather than an absolute statement. I try to think ahead on how my words can be used against me and rewrite as needed.lowe0

System wars is not a serious place, so slow your roll

I see no rule posted that embracing ridiculousness is required.

Nore is seriousness.

#102 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Well, you certainly could call me or any other consolite out on it, though you'd be open to being proven wrong. Instead, it's better to prove the argument itself wrong (or contradictory to some other argument) and ignore the names next to the posts entirely. And no, joking is still not an excuse. In the case of sarcasm, it's better to phrase it as a question rather than an absolute statement. I try to think ahead on how my words can be used against me and rewrite as needed.lowe0

It's in the survival guide, Chapter 4: Don't take it so serious

#103 Posted by Masenkoe (4897 posts) -

I honestly expected a lot more "hueer durrr, but pee cess are l4ames and for teh casuls."

Good job guys, stay classy.

#104 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Link?
#105 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

Bebi_vegeta

Nore is seriousness.

Note to lowe's dumb ass: find a different website, or go debate people in real life.

#106 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] I see no rule posted that embracing ridiculousness is required.wis3boi

Nore is seriousness.

Note to lowe's dumb ass: find a different website, or go debate people in real life.

Again, how's that adblock working out for you?
#107 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Nore is seriousness.

lowe0

LOLLLLLLLLLLL, oh snap!

#108 Posted by savagetwinkie (7981 posts) -

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

Well plenty of people who pirate, use it as a demo and then purchase the legit game to support the developer. In addition, online passes were only recently implemented by publishers to combat used game sales, and they have caught just about as much grief for it as do publishers using DRM on PC

lostrib

And it's been only recent Used games have been an issue, because of the just outright bad workflow game makers have right now, long development cycles, completely exploded expenses... and "many" people that pirate use it as a demo is speculation at best.

Well not really, it has just as much data backing it up as your idea that people buying used games also then buy the DLC, i.e. zero

It's a possibility, just like it's a possibility that someone pirated a game and then bought it. Neither can be dismissed, and the reality is if someone really likes a game they'll reinvest in it either through DLC or making that first purchase. But pirating can eat away at initial sales while used games... can't. Used games become a problem once the game sinks in popularity.
#109 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

This is really rare just because THQ is going bankrupt.

#110 Posted by the_bi99man (11242 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

So a handful of games that all came out a year or more ago is a deal for dirt chea? It's nice but you can still walk into gamespot and dig into the bargain bin of games that are 1-2 dollars on sale, and have other buy 2 get one free deals going. You might end up paying $10 instead but at least there is also more variety.

Also, the Humble Bundle is different, it lets you pick the price... and the one thing your telling devs for paying $6 for hundreds of hours worth in games is, you dont' give a **** about them, or supporting them, you just want games at stupidly low prices.

savagetwinkie

And what does it mean when you buy used games that developers won't get any money out of? :P

I'm just pointing out how idiot the "cheaper" games on pc argument is, they hit these sale prices because no one is buying them, it happens on consoles, it happens on PC, its just easier to find on PC because likely you've gotten used to steam pop ups showing you their delicous deals, while gamespot emails are auto forwared to the trash... At any rate it seems silly to spend so much extra money on hardware to play the latest and greatest games only to boast about being able to buy the games 2 years after release for $5 ... wooo

Except it's really not. You're not finding games in the 1 dollar bin at gamestop that are as new as the ones steam regularly drops to the <$5 range. And it's not just games that don't sell that are getting discounted. Steam often has huge sales as some of the most popular, best selling games. And they do it specifically because those games are popular and selling well. After a couple months and couple million sales, it's unlikely that there's a whole lot of people who are going to pay full price for a game, and haven't got it already. So steam marks them down, even if it's only temporary, and gets more sales from people who were interested, but not interested enough to pay full price. Also, when they have sales, it spikes interest in the games, and almost always leads to an increase in sales, even after the discount is over, and the games are back at regular price. And that's better for the developers and publishers, too, because when a $60 game drops to $30 on steam, that's still money going to the developer. When you buy a $60 game for $30 used at gamestop, the developer gets NONE of that.

#111 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

It's definitely one of my big reasons for switching to PC as my main system.

I spent $600 on my PC in 2009, and it plays every game on the market. Most high to max, and a handful at medium that I don't really care to play anyways, but even then they play much better than any console game.

:cry: :cry: "Bu...bu..but Xbox and PS3 cost $400 in 2009, so you still paid $200 more to get":

• 10x as many games
  • Way better online games
  • A much larger variety of games as the PC doesn't discriminate against genres
  • Free mods which allow me to extend the life of my games as opposed to paying $15 for a cheap, throwaway piece of DLC
  • Steam sales which actually makes gaming on the PC cost far less than consoles
  • A back catalog of games extending 30 years without needing to buy ANY addtional hardware.
  • The functionality of a PC which is necessary to my life anyways. A console + a cheap computer actually costs more than my gaming PC.
#112 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] And it's been only recent Used games have been an issue, because of the just outright bad workflow game makers have right now, long development cycles, completely exploded expenses... and "many" people that pirate use it as a demo is speculation at best.savagetwinkie

Well not really, it has just as much data backing it up as your idea that people buying used games also then buy the DLC, i.e. zero

It's a possibility, just like it's a possibility that someone pirated a game and then bought it. Neither can be dismissed, and the reality is if someone really likes a game they'll reinvest in it either through DLC or making that first purchase. But pirating can eat away at initial sales while used games... can't. Used games become a problem once the game sinks in popularity.

That last parts not true, since plenty of people will wait until it's used to pick it up at gamestop, much like PC gamers and steam sales

#113 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] I see no rule posted that embracing ridiculousness is required.lowe0

Link?

www.getalife.com

#114 Posted by the_bi99man (11242 posts) -

It's definitely one of my big reasons for switching to PC as my main system.

I spent $600 on my PC in 2009, and it plays every game on the market. Most high to max, and a handful at medium that I don't really care to play anyways, but even then they play much better than any console game.

:cry: :cry: "Bu...bu..but Xbox and PS3 cost $400 in 2009, so you still paid $200 more to get":

• 10x as many games
  • Way better online games
  • A much larger variety of games as the PC doesn't discriminate against genres
  • Free mods which allow me to extend the life of my games as opposed to paying $15 for a cheap, throwaway piece of DLC
  • Steam sales which actually makes gaming on the PC cost far less than consoles
  • A back catalog of games extending 30 years without needing to buy ANY addtional hardware.
  • The functionality of a PC which is necessary to my life anyways. A console + a cheap computer actually costs more than my gaming PC.

Ly_the_Fairy

Concise. Well done. Too bad none of the rabid anti-PC fanboys on this forum will even bother to comprehend what you're saying.

#115 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

lostrib

Link?

www.getalife.com

Infact it's in chapter 1, under system wars.

System Wars Postulates

1. Sales =/= Quality

2. Quoting VGChartz as your source will make every user think "LOLVGChartz."

3. NO ONE is unbiased.

4. The cake has always been, and always will be a lie.

5. The internet is series business.

6. Shipped Units = Sold Units.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29096536/system-wars-rules-and-survival-guide

#116 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

So a handful of games that all came out a year or more ago is a deal for dirt chea? It's nice but you can still walk into gamespot and dig into the bargain bin of games that are 1-2 dollars on sale, and have other buy 2 get one free deals going. You might end up paying $10 instead but at least there is also more variety.

Also, the Humble Bundle is different, it lets you pick the price... and the one thing your telling devs for paying $6 for hundreds of hours worth in games is, you dont' give a **** about them, or supporting them, you just want games at stupidly low prices.

OhSnapitz
And what does it mean when you buy used games that developers won't get any money out of? :P

.. the same thing when they're pirated.. ;)

Which happens on consoles just as much as it does PC, so what's your point?
#117 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Bebi_vegeta

LOLLLLLLLLLLL, oh snap!

He still doesnt realize people quoting him allows me to still see this stupid ass argument. Every thread he enters he derails with logical fallacies. Adblock is only half effective.

#118 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Again, how's that adblock working out for you?wis3boi

LOLLLLLLLLLLL, oh snap!

He still doesnt realize people quoting him allows me to still see this stupid ass argument. Every thread he enters he derails with logical fallacies. Adblock is only half effective.

hahahaha!

#119 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Again, how's that adblock working out for you?wis3boi

LOLLLLLLLLLLL, oh snap!

Your scroll wheel works, right? Don't like my posts, just keep scrolling and they'll have absolutely no effect on you. Problem solved.
#120 Posted by Jebus213 (10010 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] I see no rule posted that embracing ridiculousness is required.lowe0

Link?

dumbass

#121 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

Low3 trying to wreck another thread. Every pro-PC thread he comes in and completely wrecks it lol. Ultimate troll.

#122 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

Low3 trying to wreck another thread. Every pro-PC thread he comes in and completely wrecks it lol. Ultimate troll.

Jankarcop
Thread's not at all ruined; plenty of discussion going on. If you'd like to contribute, feel free.
#123 Posted by Basinboy (13106 posts) -

Console gaming = closed platform, which is not a good thing in many regards.

#124 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

lowe0

Thread's not at all ruined; plenty of discussion going on. If you'd like to contribute, feel free.

shut_up.jpg

#125 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

Jankarcop

shut_up.jpg

I said "contribute". I'm not sure what you call that, but a contribution it most certainly is not.
#126 Posted by Jebus213 (10010 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Thread's not at all ruined; plenty of discussion going on. If you'd like to contribute, feel free.lowe0

shut_up.jpg

I said "contribute". I'm not sure what you call that, but a contribution it most certainly is not.

Stop flapping those cvnt lips of yours.

#127 Posted by pelvist (6653 posts) -

Meh, PS+ gives games for free and they don't ask for anything in return.tagyhag

Except a subscription...

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
#128 Posted by Obviously_Right (5331 posts) -

[QUOTE="OhSnapitz"][QUOTE="tagyhag"] And what does it mean when you buy used games that developers won't get any money out of? :PAmazonTreeBoa
.. the same thing when they're pirated.. ;)

Which happens on consoles just as much as it does PC, so what's your point?

lol

#129 Posted by soulitane (15060 posts) -
So let me get this straight... you guys brag about cheap games, yet insist that we're the ones on welfare? lowe0
Don't you complain when people make sweeping generalizations? Because that's what you're currently doing, rather inanely as well.
#130 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"]So let me get this straight... you guys brag about cheap games, yet insist that we're the ones on welfare? soulitane
Don't you complain when people make sweeping generalizations? Because that's what you're currently doing, rather inanely as well.

I'm pointing out a contradiction in a common argument. Certainly if said argument went away, I'd have one less thing to post about.

#131 Posted by soulitane (15060 posts) -

[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="lowe0"]So let me get this straight... you guys brag about cheap games, yet insist that we're the ones on welfare? lowe0

I'm pointing out a contradiction in a common argument. Certainly if said argument went away, I'd have one less thing to post about.

A common argument made by trolls, obviously there will be a contradiction, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
#132 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="soulitane"] Don't you complain when people make sweeping generalizations? Because that's what you're currently doing, rather inanely as well.soulitane

A common argument made by trolls, obviously there will be a contradiction, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Seems like there's always some excuse for why they shouldn't be counted....
#133 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"]

[QUOTE="soulitane"] Don't you complain when people make sweeping generalizations? Because that's what you're currently doing, rather inanely as well.soulitane

but he takes trolls seriously. He's like the old man among a different generation, not getting anything

#134 Posted by soulitane (15060 posts) -

Seems like there's always some excuse for why they shouldn't be counted....lowe0
So now the truth is an excuse? I couldn't care less about hermits, but it's quite apparent when someone is trolling and in this case, it's normally the trolls who call console gamers poor. You can ignore this fact if you want, doesn't really bother me.

#135 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="lowe0"] I'm pointing out a contradiction in a common argument. Certainly if said argument went away, I'd have one less thing to post about.

wis3boi

but he takes trolls seriously. He's like the old man among a different generation, not getting anything

Humor is ageless. You simply aren't funny is all.
#136 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="soulitane"] A common argument made by trolls, obviously there will be a contradiction, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.lowe0

You're simply not funny

#137 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

lostrib

You're simply not funny

I'm not trying to be.
#138 Posted by Masenkoe (4897 posts) -

lowe buzzkillan mah thread.

#139 Posted by GD1551 (9645 posts) -

You can borrow or buy used games you know?

#140 Posted by Bikouchu35 (8197 posts) -

It's been proven that console gaming is more costly than PC.

High-end PC hardware is obviously expensive, but when you sit down and think about it, you would realise that PC is cheaper in the long run.

I'm planning about creating a thread about this, full explanation.

GamerwillzPS

Dont forget parts in PC can be reused and sold off for future parts. Ex. my old case, power supply, hard drives, cpu cooler, sound card, speakers are overhauled through out the years. Cpu, motherboard + ram was sold off for $120 and they were 4 years old.

#141 Posted by Masenkoe (4897 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

It's been proven that console gaming is more costly than PC.

High-end PC hardware is obviously expensive, but when you sit down and think about it, you would realise that PC is cheaper in the long run.

I'm planning about creating a thread about this, full explanation.

Bikouchu35

Dont forget parts in PC can be reused and sold off for future parts. Ex. my old case, power supply, hard drives, cpu cooler, sound card, speakers are overhauled through out the years. Cpu, motherboard + ram was sold off for $120 and they were 4 years old.

Dat ownage cont?

#142 Posted by grimhope (976 posts) -

I love how PC gamers always convieniently leave out the fact that all of those games can be had used on consoles for less than half the price he quoted them at. Add to that the fact that you're digitally downloaded games have no resale value whatsoever, and the fact that this is an unusual sale because of charity and not the norm. I do agree that in general PC games are cheaper, but if you are a savy console gamer who frequents the website cheapassgamer, when including the fact that console games have resale value, the price gap closes dramaticly.

#143 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

I love how PC gamers always convieniently leave out the fact that all of those games can be had used on consoles for less than half the price he quoted them at. Add to that the fact that you're digitally downloaded games have no resale value whatsoever, and the fact that this is an unusual sale because of charity and not the norm. I do agree that in general PC games are cheaper, but if you are a savy console gamer who frequents the website cheapassgamer, when including the fact that console games have resale value, the price gap closes dramaticly.

grimhope

I would like to see where you can get all those games for 6 dollars

#144 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] "Just joking" is not an excuse - if it's posted here, it's fair game to attribute to your faction and argue against.lowe0

Alright, have it your way. Just because a few consolites insist on overexaggerating the PC prices, does that mean the entire group is guilty of it?

For example, you never do it. Should I call you out on it just because someone else did?

Also, no, it's not fair to count jokes and sarcasm as arguments, that doesn't make much sense. If I make a sarcastic remark about "peasants" and make it clear I mean it as a joke, should that be held against me? There in no point in refuting it, all you can say is "I didn't find it funny"...

Well, you certainly could call me or any other consolite out on it, though you'd be open to being proven wrong. Instead, it's better to prove the argument itself wrong (or contradictory to some other argument) and ignore the names next to the posts entirely. And no, joking is still not an excuse. In the case of sarcasm, it's better to phrase it as a question rather than an absolute statement. I try to think ahead on how my words can be used against me and rewrite as needed.

But why chase after an recycled argument that has been proven wrong countless times, and is most commonly used by trolls?

Also, if you're dedicated to SW forum, it's good to pay attention to other users, so that you can know what to expect from someone. Do you think a person whose only intention is to troll and annoy should be held in the same regard as a balanced and contributing poster looking for a good discussion?

Lastly, I'd really like an explanation why should an obvious joke count as an argument, no matter the form it's written in. And yeah, I also try to think ahead before posting, to avoid falling into the known pitfalls of logical fallacies. That said, I do have a feeling you'll end up turning all my posts against me one day! :P

#145 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="soulitane"] A common argument made by trolls, obviously there will be a contradiction, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.lowe0

Humor is subjective, "funny" is open to personal interpretation...

#146 Posted by GD1551 (9645 posts) -

[QUOTE="grimhope"]

lostrib

I would like to see where you can get all those games for 6 dollars

It's like you didn't read a thing he said, here I'll bold it and put it into red.

#147 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Alright, have it your way. Just because a few consolites insist on overexaggerating the PC prices, does that mean the entire group is guilty of it?

For example, you never do it. Should I call you out on it just because someone else did?

Also, no, it's not fair to count jokes and sarcasm as arguments, that doesn't make much sense. If I make a sarcastic remark about "peasants" and make it clear I mean it as a joke, should that be held against me? There in no point in refuting it, all you can say is "I didn't find it funny"...

Rocker6

Well, you certainly could call me or any other consolite out on it, though you'd be open to being proven wrong. Instead, it's better to prove the argument itself wrong (or contradictory to some other argument) and ignore the names next to the posts entirely. And no, joking is still not an excuse. In the case of sarcasm, it's better to phrase it as a question rather than an absolute statement. I try to think ahead on how my words can be used against me and rewrite as needed.

But why chase after an recycled argument that has been proven wrong countless times, and is most commonly used by trolls?

Also, if you're dedicated to SW forum, it's good to pay attention to other users, so that you can know what to expect from someone. Do you think a person whose only intention is to troll and annoy should be held in the same regard as a balanced and contributing poster looking for a good discussion?

Lastly, I'd really like an explanation why should an obvious joke count as an argument, no matter the form it's written in. And yeah, I also try to think ahead before posting, to avoid falling into the known pitfalls of logical fallacies. That said, I do have a feeling you'll end up turning all my posts against me one day! :P

It's not a question of evaluating the poster, but the post itself. The poster is irrelevant; statements are correct or incorrect regardless of who posted them.
#148 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

It's not a question of evaluating the poster, but the post itself. The poster is irrelevant; statements are correct or incorrect regardless of who posted them.

No, facts are correct no matter who posted them. When it comes to opinionated statements, the relevance of the poster increases. Some posters simply hold more weight than the others. Do you know that guy who makes alts all the time and complains about "casuals and GPUs ruining everything" ?

Should he and other plainly obvious trolls be held in the same regard as users who contribute to the discussion?

And please, do expand on the part about jokes counting as arguments, I'm interested in hearing that...

#149 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

Rocker6

Didnt you hear? He's the internet police. STOP HAVING FUN! STOP MAKING SARCASTIC REMARKS! I CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE! I'm a crotchety old man!

#150 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] Humor is ageless. You simply aren't funny is all.wis3boi

Didnt you hear? He's the internet police. STOP HAVING FUN! STOP MAKING SARCASTIC REMARKS! I CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE! I'm a crotchety old man!

No_Fun_Allowed.jpg

:P