IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1841 Posts

I just have bought this beauty for my PC.

Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Paired with my ultra fast 500GB SSD I can install almost all my Steam games now. Oh yeah

Isn't it sad that console gamers are slaves of their tiny hard drive space. I swear god, after all updates my regular PS4 can only allow 4 games to be fully downloaded at a time. I have been buying all my games physical, because I don't have a choice. If I try to buy them through PS Store, I will have to delete my already installed PS4 games. External SSD are too expensive to waste them on a console and regular USB3 external hard drives are slower than regular internal SATA3 drives. And it's too much of a hassle to open my PS4 to replace hard drive. So this is it, I am stuck with my meager 500GB PS4 hard drive.

But on PC it feels sooo goood

KylianM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By KylianM
Member since 2018 • 18 Posts

Embraces PC Gaming

Rejects Console Gaming for being “too much of a hassle”

Wtf kinda alternate reality are you living in

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

You're a pathetic liar and I stopped reading this bs when you said you buy physical to save space. They both have to download fully to the console whether you own the disc or not. Same amount of space, buddy. And fyi I probably have 15-20 games on my fat base PS4 so stop lying lmao

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

I don’t get it.

Did I imagine my external HDD connecting to my consoles?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Opening up a PC case to attach a couple of cables is less hassle than pulling off a PS4 panel and inserting a HDD? Damn, what a clown who unlikely owns a PC or even a PS4 for that matter.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IvanGrozny
@kylianm said:

Embraces PC Gaming

Rejects Console Gaming for being “too much of a hassle”

Wtf kinda alternate reality are you living in

Lol when one can only install 4 games at a time is definitely too much of a hassle.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Ps4 is a God damn beast this guys jelly of spiderman

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IvanGrozny
@Random_Matt said:

Opening up a PC case to attach a couple of cables is less hassle than pulling off a PS4 panel and inserting a HDD? Damn, what a clown who unlikely owns a PC or even a PS4 for that matter.

PC cases come now with removable hard drive trays yoh. Attaching cables is so a 2010 thing.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

This little fellow serves me well, no storage issues and it is pretty fast....but yeah SSD is nice, I Could get one for some of my most used games, but I remember reading an article with comparisons on load times and such, and I just did not feel the difference was big enough for me for the games I was interested in....but I will research the matter again soon for Forza Horizon 4. I could have gotten a faster one, but it is good enough for me.

"At 5400 RPM, the Seagate Game Drive Hub will afford no speed boosts over the internal Xbox One S HDD, and will actually be a little slower than the Xbox One X's 1 TB HDD, which has been granted boosted speeds to handle the longer load times that will accompany 4K games."

https://www.windowscentral.com/seagate-8tb-game-drive-hub-hdd-xbox-one-review

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Impressive, now you can finally install all those Early Access games.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Games on my PS4 right now:

- The Witcher 3 with all DLC's

- Horizon Zero Dawn with DLC

- Bloodborne

- Rayman Revelations

- Claire

- Uncanny Valley

- Ni No Kuni: The Revenant Kingdom

- Abzu

- Rime

- Fallout 4

- FFX/X-2 Remaster

- FFXII: The Zodiac Age

- Shenmue 1 & 2

- Monster Hunter World

- Destiny

- Persona 5

Gee, that's a lot more than 5. The only reason I'm even considering external storage is to download all of my PS+ games

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IvanGrozny
@Alucard_Prime said:

This little fellow serves me well, no storage issues and it is pretty fast....but yeah SSD is nice, I Could get one for some of my most used games, but I remember reading an article with comparisons on load times and such, and I just did not feel the difference was big enough for me for the games I was interested in....but I will research the matter again soon for Forza Horizon 4. I could have gotten a faster one, but it is good enough for me.

"At 5400 RPM, the Seagate Game Drive Hub will afford no speed boosts over the internal Xbox One S HDD, and will actually be a little slower than the Xbox One X's 1 TB HDD, which has been granted boosted speeds to handle the longer load times that will accompany 4K games."

https://www.windowscentral.com/seagate-8tb-game-drive-hub-hdd-xbox-one-review

External SSD are not worth it. They do not provide considerable boosts. It's internal SSD that make difference, but consoles do not support them.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

You do you need all of your games installed at once?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

You can replace console HDD's and use external, but granted, their internals cannot go to 8TB AFAIK. I have 2x3gb drives in my comp, and a 128GB Boot SSD.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IvanGrozny
@MonsieurX said:

You do you need all of your games installed at once?

It's mostly for the upcoming game that require up to 120GB now, so I don't have to uninstall my favorite games. And I am into Humble Bunddle Monthly thing, so I like to try all my new purchases.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

And check out Intel Optane if you find your loading times are too long.

Loading Video...

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Alucard_Prime

@ivangrozny: I see, that probably explains why I did not find the SSD drives offered such a big improvement during my prior research. Anyway I will do more research and eventually I may get a better 7200 one, but the one I use now is good enough for me for now.... I basically transfer games I use a lot more on to my internal drive if I feel I need faster loading that the external 5400 can provide, and moving games from one to another is quite fast.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IvanGrozny
@valgaav_219 said:

Games on my PS4 right now:

- The Witcher 3 with all DLC's

- Horizon Zero Dawn with DLC

- Bloodborne

- Rayman Revelations

- Claire

- Uncanny Valley

- Ni No Kuni: The Revenant Kingdom

- Abzu

- Rime

- Fallout 4

- FFX/X-2 Remaster

- FFXII: The Zodiac Age

- Shenmue 1 & 2

- Monster Hunter World

- Destiny

- Persona 5

Gee, that's a lot more than 5. The only reason I'm even considering external storage is to download all of my PS+ games

And I have Uncharted 4, God of War, Persona 5, Ratchet and Clank, SpiderMan, UFC2, Bloodborne, TLOU and this is it. I can't install more without deleting others.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

nothing special

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4195 Posts

@ivangrozny: Hard drives over 2TB have a much higher fail rate.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I find that a lot of PC games are more of a hassle to get going. I have no issues uninstalling anything. And my Switch can take any Micro SD card I put into it so it is all good.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IvanGrozny
@Alucard_Prime said:

@ivangrozny: I see, that probably explains why I did not find the SSD drives offered such a big improvement during my prior research. Anyway I will do more research and eventually I may get a better 7200 one, but the one I use now is good enough for me for now.... I basically transfer games I use a lot more on to my internal drive if I feel I need faster loading that the external 5400 can provide, and moving games from one to another is quite fast.

Yes, the ones with connectors M.2 2280 are actually fast. The rest are just slightly faster than 7200 hdd. But motherboard must feature M.2 2280 3.1 port. My 400 buck motherboard had only one such port lol. And a 500GB M.2 2280 ssd will cost you a kidney, around 300 bucks.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Alucard_Prime

@ivangrozny: 1$/GB...nice. But if it shaves off a good chunk of seconds, I say it is worth it. Staring at those loading screens regularly adds up, and time is golden. That is probably my biggest technical criticism towards consoles this gen, is the loading times... they have not really improved all that much.

Now if I play the same game on the XOneX, the loading will be much faster compared to the regular XOne because of the extra horsepower. But you have to take into account the 4K textures sometimes.....Gears 4 on the X is not loading that much faster than the regular Xbox because despite the extra power, it needs to load the higher quality textures as well. But overall it is a nice improvement.

Of course if you are playing an online game, you need to usually wait until all the other players load 100%, so if one person is using a regular Xbox, I will load faster usually and wait for them afterwards. I assume this also happens sometimes on PC but I guess it depends on the type of game and community you play with.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5234 Posts

I am surprised that no one told the TC that his thread is nothing more than console fanboy bashing, in other words, Fanboy Wars discussion.

Talk about the games or the systems they appear in, not the people who play them.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

You know what they say about people who brag about having something "bigger" right? in reality its more of a case of...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I bought a 4TB external for my XB1, have over a hundred games installed and still have lots of room to spare.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

lol gaming on consoles,

Loading Video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDq56GF-i_A

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Dude, you know the PS4 supports hard drive swaps and USB external hard drive right?

You can have as many external hard drives as you want and connect them to your PS4.

This is the one I'm using now....

and you can even go with an 8TB hard drive instead if 4TB is too small for you...

You can own multiple external hard drives and swap them and the PS4 recognizes each of them. This way you can have unlimited space if you want.

SSDs don't offer a considerable boost over regular hard drives on consoles BTW so you're better off with a regular external HDD.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Wha?...

I am all for PC gaming but storage space?... 1TB is enough. I have:

• 250GB SSD for OS and programs
  • 500GB for documents
  • 1TB SSHD for game storage
  • 1TB SSHD for storage

My game storage is not even at 50% yet, and I have like 15 games installed. I plan on uninstalling several of them because I haven't touched them in months.

Storage, lol... Everyone know the Achilles heel of consoles are their CPU's.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

I actually need that I'm still rocking 1TB lol

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IvanGrozny
@quadknight said:

Dude, you know the PS4 supports hard drive swaps and USB external hard drive right?

You can have as many external hard drives as you want and connect them to your PS4.

and you can even go with an 8TB hard drive instead if 4TB is too small for you...

tYou can own multiple external hard drives and swap them and the PS4 recognizes each of them. This way you can have unlimited space if you want.

SSDs don't offer a considerable boost over regular hard drives on consoles BTW so you're better off with a regular external HDD.

The reading and transfer speeds are still kinda slow with these usb3 harddrives. It's with USB3.1 when these external drives will become decent enough for gaming. For now they are just ok for storage, not for gaming.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
@ivangrozny said:
@quadknight said:

tYou can own multiple external hard drives and swap them and the PS4 recognizes each of them. This way you can have unlimited space if you want.

The reading and transfer speeds are still kinda slow with these usb3 harddrives. It's with USB3.1 when these external drives will become decent enough for gaming. For now they are just ok for storage, not for gaming.

You could have usb 5 and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference.

Still dealing with hard drives which are slow AF compared to ssd.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

Honestly, I usually play 1 single palyer game at a time, maybe a multiplayer and that's it. Why would I need more space? I can just download a 30gb game in 2 hours. No biggie.

Now that question is, why would PC gamers need 8tb of hardrive for multiplatform games?

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

It costs more than I paid for my console.

I think I'll pass.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

@blackballs said:

Honestly, I usually play 1 single palyer game at a time, maybe a multiplayer and that's it. Why would I need more space? I can just download a 30gb game in 2 hours. No biggie.

Now that question is, why would PC gamers need 8tb of hardrive for multiplatform games?

I have multiple games installed on my game drive, and multiple files on my multimedia drive. Of 2.72TB of space, I have 1TB free on my game drive.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@ivangrozny said:
@quadknight said:

Not really. I game just fine with mine. No real noticeable difference between the speeds on my external hard drive and the internal 1TB hard drive my Pro comes with. SSDs won't make much of a difference either.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

Meh. I just hooked up an external drive to my Xbox One so no problems here.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IvanGrozny
@quadknight said:
@ivangrozny said:
@quadknight said:

Not really. I game just fine with mine. No real noticeable difference between the speeds on my external hard drive and the internal 1TB hard drive my Pro comes with. SSDs won't make much of a difference either.

That's probably because the PS hard drive specs are already so low. The PS pro hard drive is

• Storage Capacity: 1 TB VS 8TB on PC
  • Interface: SATA 3.0 GB/s VS 6GB/s of SATA3
  • Spindle Speed: 5400 RPM VS 7200RPM of any internal HHD on PC
  • Form Factor: 2.5-inch
  • Buffer/Cache Memory: 8 MB VS 64-258MB of Cache Memory of any internal HHD on PC

External USB3 7200RPM harddrives have up to 5GB/s of transfer speed. So kinda better than stock hdds in PS console.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dxmcat
@ivangrozny said:
@quadknight said:
@ivangrozny said:
@quadknight said:

That's probably because the PS hard drive specs are already so low. The PS pro hard drive is

• Buffer/Cache Memory: 8 MB VS 64-258MB of Cache Memory of any internal HHD on PC

External USB3 7200RPM harddrives have up to 5GB/s of transfer speed. So kinda better than stock hdds in PS console.

5 GB/s. LOL. Even if it were gbps, still bullshit.

I need whatever you are smoking.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts

Someone needs attention

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By IvanGrozny
@dxmcat said:
@ivangrozny said:
@quadknight said:
@ivangrozny said:

Yes, it's interface speed in gbps. So real life performance of USB3 is lower, around 150mb/s of transfer speed, I heard. But these are not 7200RPM on the pictures. 8TB 7200RPM external USB3 hard drive cost around 400 bucks and are of brick size and require external power cable.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#45 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@ivangrozny:

Maybe for simpletons who don't know how to buy and install bigger hard drives for their consoles.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dxmcat
@ivangrozny said:
@dxmcat said:
@ivangrozny said:
@quadknight said:
@ivangrozny said:

Yes, it's interface speed in gbps. So real life performance of USB3 is lower, around 150mb/s of transfer speed, I heard.

My point being, you can have all the interface speeds you want. The bottleneck is still hard drives.

SSDs (particularly m2 / pcie) are pushing 2+ Gigabytes per second these days.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

@i_p_daily: Lmao!

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@ivangrozny: It's literally one screw to take out the the internal HDD. Then the 4 that hold it in just like PC. It's actually easier than replacing a PC HDD. Then external drive are super cheap, just like PC. Sad thread.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@ivangrozny: "It's internal SSD that make difference, but consoles do not support them."

My Pro seems to support my 500GB SSD just fine. You're either a really bad troll, or never seen a PS4.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

You can replace console HDD's and use external, but granted, their internals cannot go to 8TB AFAIK. I have 2x3gb drives in my comp, and a 128GB Boot SSD.

On my Vanilla PS4, I upgraded to a Samsung SSD 1TB and it get's the job done :)

I had a CoD Advanced Warfare Xbox One 1TB console and even for a 1TB, it can feel that sucker up real fast, same with my PS4. I still have space for few more games, but won't last long however.