Conker's Bad Fur Day was a technically bad game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 quickposter
Member since 2010 • 1735 Posts

People blame solely Microsoft but seriously it wasn't them. They were losing employees around the Perfect Dark time. They started seeing less sales. Their games were losing their charm. Banjo Tooie was the last truly great game they made. Ignore the fart jokes, toilet humour, mass swearing and parodies and its just a bad game.

The controls sucked. The game didn't have any real depth. It was a lot more linear than what you expect from a Rare adventure game. No true side quests. Bad camera angles. Need I go on. Try being more open minded about this. Its true Microsoft are to blame for not using Rare's core IPs but they were losing their touch before MS got there. Nintendo saw all this coming. Thats why they sold them. The talent had pretty much gone by the end of the N64 generation.

The only credit Conker really deserves is the south park approach it took. But being honest the fact they resorted to that just to differentiate it from Banjo and Donkey is pretty sad. Look at Starfox Adventures and Conker's Bad Fur Day in another light and its obvious they were slacking anyway. Microsoft was just the nail in the coffin. For all the development CBFD, SA and Kameo went through these games are huge disappointments. Being in development for years you should expect a game bigger than DK64 at the time. Instead we got a game you can literally complete in 2 freaking hours? Seriously? Nintendo knew this would happen and people want to stop being so blinded by the gags.

Conker's Bad Fur Day sucked. Starfox Adventures was mediocre. What were they doing with these games all that time? How can games in development for so long be so short? Were they sitting around doing nothing?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Not the place to discuss this.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Legacy forums is that way ===>
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
Star Fox Adventures was awesome.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Nope. This is "technically" a dumbass thread though.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

There's some points that have nothing to do with the tech. behind Conker. And i fail to share any of your negative feedback. I mean, the controls are good, the camera is good (in general), there's a ton of comedy with it's witty dialogue and bat sh*t crazy characters, the environments are good..

If people can stomach that horrible, horrible framerate (which would have ben a great point, but you miraculously omitted it), then it's a great game to play.

Hell, the graphics themselfs, minus the above stated, are probably the absolute best of the 5th generation. The technical side of Conker is brilliant.

Also,

Not the place to discuss this.

lundy86_4

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#7 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The game was very juvenile. I put it in the same category as Duke Nukem and Dead or Alive. In the garbage.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

The game was very juvenile. I put it in the same category as Duke Nukem and Dead or Alive. In the garbage.

ShadowMoses900
It was awesome.
PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PopeReal
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts

Conkers multiplayer was up there with anything else on the N64. Fun as hell. And the main game was great fun too. But yeah, wrong place for this discussion.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
In the garbage.ShadowMoses900
Much like your intelligence.
Lems_R_Tools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lems_R_Tools
Member since 2012 • 247 Posts

ShadowMoses900
so what do you consider a good game, other then Sony exclusives.. because you seem to bash everything and anything that isnt made by sony.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
The controls sucked. The game didn't have any real depth. It was a lot more linear than what you expect from a adventure game. No true side quests. Bad camera angles. Need I go on?quickposter
My God man -- you just perfectly summed up the entire Uncharted experience...
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

ShadowMoses900

Being juvenile was kinda the point...

And who cares if it was linear? The game had a wide array of memorable moments and sequences. It wasn't trying to be platformer along the lines of the Banjo-Kazooie games.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Lems_R_Tools

so what do you consider a good game, other then Sony exclusives.. because you seem to bash everything and anything that isnt made by sony.

Actually there are many Sony games I dislike, the majority of games I play are not Sony games. Look at my Gamertag if you don't believe me.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
nope.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]In the garbage.AcidSoldner
Much like your intelligence.

That was a minor blow to my self esteem.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

[QUOTE="Lems_R_Tools"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

Actually there are many Sony games I dislike, the majority of games I play are not Sony games. Look at my Gamertag if you don't believe me.

More proof cows don't buy exclusives. Tsk tsk tsk..
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

I 1st played this game in 2007 and all I have to say is how we missed this game in 2001?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

ShadowMoses900

Gamertag is a Microsoft term for XBL. The PSN equivalent is PSN ID.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

ShadowMoses900

I don't even know how you can class Dead or Alive in with Duke and Conker. Pretty much most Fighting games have scantily clad women with jiggle physics, look at Soul Calibur, Tekken, Virta Fighter, Mortal Kombat, they all have scantily clad women. Sure there are the spinoffs of DOA like the beach vollyball and crap, but the DOA games are valid legit fighters. So I don't see how the DOA fighters are vulgar and juvenile when it's only thing is come skimpy costumes, expecailly when 90% of all the fighters do this. The original yes, is halarious due to its redicoulous jiggle physics, but 2 and up are solid games.

And the reason I prefer DOA to the other fighters is because it's a complete game, tons of stuff to unlock such as costumes, characters, bonus material that keep you playing for a while as well as the counter system, so someone can't just spam the same cheap move over and over or do a practically infinate combo where you mise well set down your controller because your only hope is if they stop the combo.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

All I know is that the Xbox remake is a censored POS with pretty graphics and smooth framerate but everything else was better in the N64 original.

Also, legacy platforms.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Conker is awesome, I don't agree with you.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Awful post. Conker's BFD >>> all other rare games (besides DKC).
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Lol wut??? no, TC couldn't be more wrong...yes part of the charm was all the silliness of the game, but the game was fun to play and it had a lot of variety, it had platform, shooter, action, puzzles, etc. If anything the only "bad" parts were the water levels, but aside from that it was a really fun game.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Lems_R_Tools"] so what do you consider a good game, other then Sony exclusives.. because you seem to bash everything and anything that isnt made by sony.charizard1605

It's the same freaking thing really Dr. Political Correctness.

darkkillerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darkkillerr
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

It's the same freaking thing really Dr. Political Correctness.

for a cow its a horrible mistake XD

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
Im confused as to why anyone would blame MS for bad fur day since that predated the xbox and when it was remade for the original xbox it was the superior version.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#28 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

Im confused as to why anyone would blame MS for bad fur day since that predated the xbox and when it was remade for the original xbox it was the superior version.WilliamRLBaker
Maybe in graphical and technical aspects, but the censorship pissed a lot of people off. Same way 4Kids did and their hold of various anime (big example: One Piece).

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

4SOXI.gif.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]Im confused as to why anyone would blame MS for bad fur day since that predated the xbox and when it was remade for the original xbox it was the superior version.nintendoboy16

Maybe in graphical and technical aspects, but the censorship pissed a lot of people off. Same way 4Kids did and their hold of various anime (big example: One Piece).

the original conker used cuss words for shock value and to try to appeal to core gamers on the failing n64 they often weren't in the right place and were more often then not randomly strewn about. In graphical, techical, and control aspects conker live and reloaded was the superior game it had the exact same writing except the cuss words were bleeped out its sound was also superior since you had a far better sound capabilities in the xbox compared to the n64. And please dont compare 4kids to bleeping out a few cuss words One piece is almost completely dismantled by 4kids.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#31 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

conker's bad fur day was incredibly acclaimed, and was a masterful piece of video game software. truly, it is one of the great platformers of the ages. it's a shame you didn't see that, but the highest tier of gaming intellect and observance is only reserved for an elite few.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Legacy forums is that way ===>MonsieurX

But people criticize MS/Rare in the 'this way' (present).

How could anyone argue otherwise without retrospectively looking for reasons as to why this is not the case.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]Im confused as to why anyone would blame MS for bad fur day since that predated the xbox and when it was remade for the original xbox it was the superior version.WilliamRLBaker

the original conker used cuss words for shock value and to try to appeal to core gamers on the failing n64 they often weren't in the right place and were more often then not randomly strewn about. In graphical, techical, and control aspects conker live and reloaded was the superior game it had the exact same writing except the cuss words were bleeped out its sound was also superior since you had a far better sound capabilities in the xbox compared to the n64. And please dont compare 4kids to bleeping out a few cuss words One piece is almost completely dismantled by 4kids.

Sometimes bleeping out makes things funnier like South Park or Family Guy. When I see an episode where they intentionally don't censor the words, they somehow don't come off as funny. Like the dynamic of the joke has changed. Sometimes implied humor works better.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

ShadowMoses900

But those games you play are still on a PS3/Sony platform and if they left that platform, you would critizize them. Its easy to dislike games on your platform, but can you name some games that havent appeared on a Sony platform that you can rank up high.. Hmm,.,
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

People blame solely Microsoft but seriously it wasn't them. They were losing employees around the Perfect Dark time. They started seeing less sales. Their games were losing their charm. Banjo Tooie was the last truly great game they made. Ignore the fart jokes, toilet humour, mass swearing and parodies and its just a bad game.

The controls sucked. The game didn't have any real depth. It was a lot more linear than what you expect from a Rare adventure game. No true side quests. Bad camera angles. Need I go on. Try being more open minded about this. Its true Microsoft are to blame for not using Rare's core IPs but they were losing their touch before MS got there. Nintendo saw all this coming. Thats why they sold them. The talent had pretty much gone by the end of the N64 generation.

The only credit Conker really deserves is the south park approach it took. But being honest the fact they resorted to that just to differentiate it from Banjo and Donkey is pretty sad. Look at Starfox Adventures and Conker's Bad Fur Day in another light and its obvious they were slacking anyway. Microsoft was just the nail in the coffin. For all the development CBFD, SA and Kameo went through these games are huge disappointments. Being in development for years you should expect a game bigger than DK64 at the time. Instead we got a game you can literally complete in 2 freaking hours? Seriously? Nintendo knew this would happen and people want to stop being so blinded by the gags.

Conker's Bad Fur Day sucked. Starfox Adventures was mediocre. What were they doing with these games all that time? How can games in development for so long be so short? Were they sitting around doing nothing?

quickposter

I agree that Conker's Bad Fur Wasn't particularly good fun to actually play. Well not imo, and the camera was one of the issues I raised at the time. It did have great graphics for the time though. In fact, it was one of the most impressive games on the system graphically.

Note: I used to work at Rare at the time Conker was being made and my mate did a lot of the graphics for the game so I think I have a decent grasp on the situation.

N-K0d3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 N-K0d3R
Member since 2004 • 500 Posts

'technically' or, rather, 'technologically' Conker on N64 was an incredible game. It featured real-time shadows, reflections, sphere mapping, cool environments, great textures, excellent sound and sound effects (like reverb inside caves and such). It demolished anything on PSX or Sega Saturn from this point of view.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nameless12345

[QUOTE="quickposter"]

amaneuvering

I agree that Conker's Bad Fur Wasn't particularly good fun to actually play. Well not imo, and the camera was one of the issues I raised at the time. It did have great graphics for the time though. In fact, it was one of the most impressive games on the system graphically.

Note: I used to work at Rare at the time Conker was being made and my mate did a lot of the graphics for the game so I think I have a decent grasp on the situation.

What projects were you working on?

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nameless12345

'technically' or, rather, 'technologically' Conker on N64 was an incredible game. It featured real-time shadows, reflections, sphere mapping, cool environments, great textures, excellent sound and sound effects (like reverb inside caves and such). It demolished anything on PSX or Sega Saturn from this point of view.

N-K0d3R

I find DK64 looked better due to using the extra memory expansion and having lots of dynamic colored lighting.

The textures looked better in DK64 too imo.

Conker had the edge in the poly models and animated lip sync (also speech, which was hard to pull of on the limited cartridge media).

I think the game could be better if it used the memory expansion tho (either for increased resolution or smoother framerate).

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="amaneuvering"]

[QUOTE="quickposter"]

nameless12345

What projects were you working on?

Donkey Kong Country Color and a tiny bit of Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge. I was part of the handheld team.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 amaneuvering

[QUOTE="N-K0d3R"]

nameless12345

I find DK64 looked better due to using the extra memory expansion and having lots of dynamic colored lighting.

The textures looked better in DK64 too imo.

Conker had the edge in the poly models and animated lip sync (also speech, which was hard to pull of on the limited cartridge media).

I think the game could be better if it used the memory expansion tho (either for increased resolution or smoother framerate).

I personally think Conker was the better looking of the two visually. If you consider both artstyle and technology. Definately in terms of artsytle and presentation.

zmbi_gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zmbi_gmr
Member since 2008 • 3590 Posts

CBFD and Starfox were both a lot of fun. I have great memories of both.

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

N-K0d3R
Yup. Not to mention best voice over use on the console (whereas the so-called best game of the system didn't go outside of 'hey, listen') and also best graphics on the console; it matched those of Majora's Mask without it even needing an expansion pak.
Avatar image for BillGates_Money
BillGates_Money

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BillGates_Money
Member since 2007 • 1200 Posts
i had to check and then recheck the actual start date of this thread lol
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Nah, OP is on crack. Conker had good controls and a solid camera for it's day. It was linear, but wtf? People need to get over this, "a linear game is a bad game," mantra. Conker was a ton of fun.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

Conker had some of the best multiplayer on N64, shut up