Congrats Sonic Forces! Tradition for the win!

• 127 results
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

Sonic Forces reviews are starting to roll out and it looks like Sega is keeping the blue bomber in lockstep with just about every other sonic game that strays away from 2d side scrolling sonic.

Its hot garbage.... Polygon - 5/10

Read all about its qte magnificence here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/11/5/16609838/sonic-forces-review#ampshare=https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/5/16609838/sonic-forces-review

Like the sun will rise and fall, the wind will blow and the tides will ebb and flow, 3d sonic will always disappoint.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#2 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

"Hot garbage"? I always thought that implied people were actually interested in it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Preorder canceled and replaced with, Supah Lucky Tale. :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Maybe Sega will wake up now?

Na.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I stopped hoping for Sonic being good a long time ago. If you want the best Sonic, find a Sega Genesis CD and play it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup

@Heil68 said:

I stopped hoping for Sonic being good a long time ago. If you want the best Sonic, find a Sega Genesis CD and play it.

Mania.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Seriously just make a game like Sonic Adventure 2- the different game styles, the chao garden. People would buy it up.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Meh Polygon and actual valid gaming opinion are like oil and water.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:

Seriously just make a game like Sonic Adventure 2- the different game styles, the chao garden. People would buy it up.

Even if the running section sucks as long as there's chao garden, i think sonic fans will forgive it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

Sonic who? Anyway, i will still give the game a shot regardless of the review even though the last 3D Sonic pissed me off to the point of returning the game the same day.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Yeah we got Sonia Mania this year, so that is enough.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Sonic Mania...as great as it is...just reminded me how boring and one-note sonic games are. Even at his best, he's dull. Imagine at his worst.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

I don't know why this is so hard for Sega. Colors and Generations were good games. Whatever you did there, just keep doing that.

@anthonyautumns said:
@drummerdave9099 said:

Even if the running section sucks as long as there's chao garden, i think sonic fans will forgive it.

Yeah, a chao garden wouldn't hurt either.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1474 Posts

Same guy who directed Sonic 06, wasn't expecting much.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@judaspete said:

I don't know why this is so hard for Sega. Colors and Generations were good games. Whatever you did there, just keep doing that.

Yeah, a chao garden wouldn't hurt either.

I think sega and sonic team were playing things safe after what happened with sonic boom. It does not help that sega and sonic team were dealing with restructuring plus development issues with the game in the last few years or so.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uninspiredcup

@judaspete said:

Yea. They keep brainstorming ideas, throwing shit and the wall and seeing if it sticks without bothering to understand what was appealing in the first place.

There is a pretty stark contrast with Mania. 3 characters, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, minimal story-telling, large levels with tight intricate design with gameplay fundamentally getting back to the core.

Verses what? A barrage of Sonics weird furry friends with extended, cringey story sequences are tonally all over the place. Levels that play themselves, where it piles mechanic after mechanic that only serves primarily to be obtrusive or a simple QTE.

The homing system itself is broken. If you want to do more than 1 action it will take over control.

Heck, in Sonic Team games most of your deaths don't come from enemies but specifically broken mechanics. Bad cameras. Lock-on not activating, lock on directing you where you don't want to go. Placing completely avoiding obsticles in the players way, where it's not but just learning to memorize where "I will screw you over" will pop up.

Releasing it directly beside Mania was practically a spotlight on how shit they are.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#17 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

SW rubbishes Polygon all the time. And now SW is using Polygon to rubbish a game. How ironic.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I'll see how it is when I play it myself tomorrow. Forces doesn't look bad, just more dull than anything else, but whatever, Mania exists. At the very least it can't be worse than Lost World, which is a game that felt like a bigger slap in the face than '06 was. Even if it was garbage, '06's gameplay had some semblance of a Sonic game rather than fail at being a rip off of Mario and Donkey Kong.

As for 3D Sonic in general, yeah IDGAF what anyone thinks, because I adore Adventure 1-2, Unleashed, Colors, and Generations. Maybe next time they can get Hiroshi Miyamoto to direct again instead of putting him on those Olympic games for whatever reason. Morio Kishimoto doesn't have a clue how Sonic games are supposed to be designed from both a gameplay and level design perspective.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

if nintendo can keep finding ways to reinvent mario, why cant anyone at sega help get it out of the mud

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I'm sure the game is not up to scratch but I will wait on a better source than "gamers are dead" LOLygon.

Besides, I already had the best sonic platformer I could ever ask for this year. I'm okay without this.

MidnightCola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 MidnightCola
Member since 2017 • 4 Posts

It's been made by Sonic Team which is a huge let-down considering what we got with Sonic Mania

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Polygon lol, I'll wait for some real reviews.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

I'll see how it is when I play it myself tomorrow. Forces doesn't look bad, just more dull than anything else, but whatever, Mania exists. At the very least it can't be worse than Lost World, which is a game that felt like a bigger slap in the face than '06 was. Even if it was garbage, '06's gameplay had some semblance of a Sonic game rather than fail at being a rip off of Mario and Donkey Kong.

As for 3D Sonic in general, yeah IDGAF what anyone thinks, because I adore Adventure 1-2, Unleashed, Colors, and Generations. Maybe next time they can get Hiroshi Miyamoto to direct again instead of putting him on those Olympic games for whatever reason. Morio Kishimoto doesn't have a clue how Sonic games are supposed to be designed from both a gameplay and level design perspective.

Forces likely won't be as good as Mania. But that doesn't matter to me. 2D Sonic and 3D Sonic have always been separate entities. When it comes to 3D Sonic, what matters is whether it's as good as Adventure 1-2, Colors, or Generations. And that's the problem with the Polygon review, it didn't even try to make some kind of comparison with Colors or Generations, making it a pointless review as far as I'm concerned.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

The Blue Bomber? Excuse me? Wrong character bro lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

Forces likely won't be as good as Mania. But that doesn't matter to me. 2D Sonic and 3D Sonic have always been separate entities. When it comes to 3D Sonic, what matters is whether it's as good as Adventure 1-2, Colors, or Generations. And that's the problem with the Polygon review, it didn't even try to make some kind of comparison with Colors or Generations, making it a pointless review as far as I'm concerned.

There's been quite abit of leaked footage showing off the mechanics, story etc...

Loading Video...

Prob pick it up but not expecting it to be even a shadow <- Of Sonic Manias quality.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46278 Posts

Maybe next try ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Surely it's time Sonic was taken into the back garden with a shotgun and just put the poor hedgehog out of his misery. He's suffered for 20 years now and so have we.

Put an end to it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

Prob pick it up

Aaaaaand now we know why they keep making these games

____

Seriously though, is every stage 1 of every Sonic game the same ?

They are really going for that nostalgia vibe, aren't they ?

"Hey guys, remember stage 1 of the first sonic ?"

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I'll probably still grab it. The only Sonic games I wasn't able to get though where Boom and 06, this one at least looks better than them, so it'll probably be fun, in the traditional broken way 3D Sonic is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Prob pick it up

____

It's because stage 1 is the only part of Sonic that has actually been any good.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k  Online

@boycie said:

It's because stage 1 is the only part of Sonic that has actually been any good.

Stage 1 is Sonic & SEGA's highest achievement and they've never been able to outdo themselves ever again.

That's why every sonic game has a green hill zone stage 1, because if you can't make lightning strike twice, you just try and emulate it the best you can.

Meanwhile Mario on NES was an amazing platformer, and Nintendo has outdone themselves with almost every release after it, also recycling some stuff, like the music or the princess being captured.

Nintendoes what Segadon.... wait this isn't going anywhere.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#32 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@TheEroica:

Mehhh.... Regardless of the reviews, it will sell well. Sonic is Sonic. I've grown out of games like that and Mario a long time ago, anyway. I'll still take this over Mario Odyssey any day of the week though but it's not like I was expecting much out of it. My guess is that it'll be at least an 8/10 from me. But we'll see soon enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@TheEroica:

Mehhh.... Regardless of the reviews, it will sell well. Sonic is Sonic. I've grown out of games like that and Mario a long time ago, anyway. I'll still take this over Mario Odyssey any day of the week though but it's not like I was expecting much out of it. My guess is that it'll be at least an 8/10 from me. But we'll see soon enough.

Even after watching that video?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

@Jag85: I've never rubbished polygon. I actually don't have an opinion of them one way or another... Like most reviewers. I like reading them and deciding on a case by case scenario.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@Renegade_Fury said:

That would take some effort on their part, and there's no way that's going to happen when it's far easier to pile on the Sonic hate train. We just came off half a decade of hearing "Sonic was never good hurr durr," so I wouldn't expect any sort of real analysis to happen with Forces from these sites. Most of the received scores are probably going to be the type given to games that are mechanically broken or downright nonfunctional, even if I suspect Forces is just going to hover around from a passable to mediocre experience.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Prob pick it up

____

To be fair it's prob still better than Wolf 2 and COD.

Hypocrite or not, the gaming standard is still extremely high.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Prob pick it up

____

Judging by that video you posted I really doubt it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup

@boycie said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Prob pick it up

____

1. You play this.

2. It isn't COD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@uninspiredcup said:
@boycie said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Prob pick it up

____

1. You play this

2. It isn't COD.

Really, 50% of that video was cut scenes.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

Snarly

____

And I really don't want to get into this ... sigh. Shouldn't reply to a comeback as stupid and irritated as this one but here it goes:

I think Machine and Sledgehammer at least understand what it means to make a FUN game, because that's what I'm having in those games: fun.

In the video you showed of sonic he was going 300 miles per hour until Sonic comes to a COMPLETE STOP, black screen pop-ups and goes: Press 'X' to jump.

So there we have it mate, it seems in the dozens up dozens of tries to put Sonic in 3D and on newer and newer consoles, Sonic team still can't come up with basic gameplay. Or a basic grasp of what people would want in a game.

But at least they managed to recreate green hill beautifully.

Please do continue to attack games I'm having fun with though, that'll surely lessen the joy I'm having :D

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#41  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

I have never been a fan of Sonic. Always thought the world, characters, and gameplay were lame. This goes for both the 2D and 3D Sonic.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@boycie said:

I'd say that window popping up saying "Press X to jump" right when sonic was going 300 miles per hour, breaking anything the game had going at that moment, is probably worse than any of the unnecessary, obtrusive QTE sections I had to endure in the past decade.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#43  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@boycie:

One of the things I've learned is that people enjoy games very differently than I do and playing Sonic games is just a part of that. I actually really liked Sonic '06 and Unleashed despite popular opinion. So yeah, I'll still pick it up regardless. That was never really a question.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:
@boycie said:

I'd say that window popping up saying "Press X to jump" right when sonic was going 300 miles per hour, breaking anything the game had going at that moment, is probably worse than any of the unnecessary, obtrusive QTE sections I had to endure in the past decade.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k  Online

I've never seen uninspired go into troll mode so hard because I called out the fact that every level 1 of every sonic is the same :/

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Pedro said:

Sonic who? Anyway, i will still give the game a shot regardless of the review even though the last 3D Sonic pissed me off to the point of returning the game the same day.

Why bash your head like that if Sonic already did that to you? Go play Sonic Mania if you haven't already. One of this year's best platformers.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#47 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

@jaydan said:
@Pedro said:

Why bash your head like that if Sonic already did that to you? Go play Sonic Mania if you haven't already. One of this year's best platformers.

Noted. :)

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:
@Pedro said:

Noted. :)

For real - for the price you are aware you'll likely waste on Sonic Forces you can buy three quality downloadable titles, such as Mania.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#49 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I'll get it, looks like something I'd enjoy. I've enjoyed like every Sonic game I've played. Don't care about reviews.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

I've never seen uninspired go into troll mode so hard because I called out the fact that every level 1 of every sonic is the same :/

Eh, from the initial release Genesis/MS/GG Green Hill Zone was used across multiple platforms. Renamed "Green Hills Zone" on the 8-bit thanks to a bad translation.

It's not really some revelation or hidden secret, and i've pretty much done more shitting on 3D Sonic than you ever will lol

But attempting to criticize it for auto-play elements, while simultaneously lauding Call Of Duty and New Colossus?

Come on son.