Concept Art on Warren Spector's (Deus Ex creator) Steampunk Mickey Mouse Epic!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

calvinx6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#151 calvinx6
Member since 2004 • 1788 Posts

Hopefully i got my Wii by the time this game comes out.

Lol at all the hate for this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
It looks very, very awesome.
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

Hopefully i got my Wii by the time this game comes out.

Lol at all the hate for this game.

calvinx6

Hate for the game?

All I've seen is hate for the platform of choice.

Which I love:D

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#154 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

There's no denying this game would be better on 360/PS3 as far as tech goes.

stepat201
No, really?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 deactivated-63f6895020e66
[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="stepat201"]

No, really?

Is there? Unless it uses the WiiMote in a significant way.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

SMG was touted much the same way, but the waggle gestures and pointing didn't add much to the overall experience. SMG is my game of the generation thus far, as I have stated many times, but I would've taken HD, better textures, and more of a "pop" to the image over waggle and pointing mechanics. And it would've still been an ace product. It's just a preference.

BioShockOwnz

For myself personally I loved the wiimote implementation in SMG. I would frankly be the opposite as you but in the end we both agree. SMG is amazing and as gamers we all won regardless of platform.

stepat201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 stepat201
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

[QUOTE="stepat201"]

OreoMilkshake

No, really?

Yes, really.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

SMG was touted much the same way, but the waggle gestures and pointing didn't add much to the overall experience.BioShockOwnz
See, i completely disagree with this. IR and motion implementation is actually one of the many things that make Galaxy what it is. I think the only reason people take it for granted is because its used intelligently, its used in an elegant and discrete manner but it impacts the game design and gameplay mechanics immensly.

Pulling stars, pushing certain objects, screwing and unscrewing, ball rolling, starbit collecting, swinging ghosts, starbit shooting, Manta Ray surfing, swinging on ropes, cleaning snow, blowing bubbles etc...etc...

Take away these two seemingly dispendable input methods (IR and motion) and it would be a diferent game. Levels would be designed diferently, stuff like the flying sequences where you collect starbits wouldnt make sense, entire puzzles and events would completely loose their "freshness" and charm. It WOULDNT be Galaxy as you know it.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 OreoMilkshake

stepat201

No, really?

Yes, really.

So we've established Wii has inferior tech. What else is new?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 ActicEdge

Just because it's the developers descision doesn't mean we have no right to question it.

stepat201

you have the right to question it. its just rather stupid when all we have to go off of is concept art. For all we know this could be a damn disney themed checkers game.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Thunderdrone
[QUOTE="stepat201"]

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]No, really?OreoMilkshake

Yes, really.

Its also established that stepat201 believes every game should be on high end PCs.
stepat201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 stepat201

Yes, really.

Thunderdrone

Its also established that stepat201 believes every game should be on high end PCs.

I never said that, I think this game would be better on 360/PS3, then it would still have good platforming controls and the graphics would be better. There's no real advantage to having it on wii unless you're going to do something amazing with the motion controls which I doubt this game will.

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts

If your numbers are sourced i want links, like right now. :|

And I never said the wii wasn't a good option. I said the PS3 and 360 aren't bad options. The wii is indeed thebest option which I blantantly stated at thhe beginning. Now, show me links, I'm drawing from memory but if you are so sure. Links to everything you claimed.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/03/05/insomniacs-ted-price-talks-ratchet-sales-surprises-new-ips/ That's a link for rachet being over a million.

Also, researched banjo and I was indeed wrong on that one. 154k as of January 09. More links coming.

ActicEdge

That's a link from ted price claiming that ratchet sold over a million worldwide 7 months after release. and you're right about banjo, i severely overestimated it

here's some of my figures

ratchet october 2007

ratchet october 2007

racthet lifetime total japan

de blob lifetime npd

relative development costs 7th gen

so again. cartoony games sell better on wii. they cost less to make and the demographic lends itself to family games more. very simple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 deactivated-63f6895020e66

By May 2008, R&C FToD had sold over a million.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Thunderdrone

I never said that, I think this game would be better on 360/PS3, then it would still have good platforming controls and the graphics would be better. There's no real advantage to having it on wii unless you're going to do something amazing with the motion controls which I doubt this game will. stepat201

This game would be better on NASA computers, it would have even better graphics and good controls. No?

Hey, i'm just completing you're logic that it would be better on more capable machine. Why bother with the HD twin consoles when they are in the middle of the tech ladder, looking above at the PC with teary eyes.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

If your numbers are sourced i want links, like right now. :|

And I never said the wii wasn't a good option. I said the PS3 and 360 aren't bad options. The wii is indeed thebest option which I blantantly stated at thhe beginning. Now, show me links, I'm drawing from memory but if you are so sure. Links to everything you claimed.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/03/05/insomniacs-ted-price-talks-ratchet-sales-surprises-new-ips/ That's a link for rachet being over a million.

Also, researched banjo and I was indeed wrong on that one. 154k as of January 09. More links coming.

hy4k

That's a link from ted price claiming that ratchet sold over a million worldwide 7 months after release. and you're right about banjo, i severely overestimated it

here's some of my figures

ratchet october 2007

ratchet october 2007

racthet lifetime total japan

de blob lifetime npd

relative development costs 7th gen

so again. cartoony games sell better on wii. they cost less to make and the demographic lends itself to family games more. very simple

My rachet link is more recent so I'm going with that. You de blob list doesn't state worldwide (which THQ said was 700k). As I've said wii is the best choice but not all cartoony games sell well on it. Also, I maintain the PS3 and 360 can sell these games if they are marketed well enough eveen if it would be harder.

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"] As do I. And I defend the Wii a lot. But let's be honest here. I want this game to be realized to its full potential, and part of that is its atmosphere, which can be helped a lot by having the hardware punch to knock it out.Thunderdrone

I'l repost this:

There never was an HD version of this game and it was a Wii project right off the bat, it was designed, planned and executed with that hardware in mind. There is no damn HD version to shed a tear about.

Its not about defending the Wii, Spector set out to make this a Wii project from the start and people are whining about things that DONT EXIST. Its like whining that DQIX should be on the PSP instead, why bother, the game is what it is because its on that system.

Same here, every concept you see and every idea they come up with, was made with the Wii in mind. This "full potential is wasted" is complete BS, like saying i should do a colored oil painting instead of a black and white charcoal drawing to fullfill my vision, thats up to ME to decide not you.

Man, there's nothing wrong with wishing that such a vivid artstyle could be recreated with much more detail. At the very least, screaming "Suck it the **** up" isn't going to help anything.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 ActicEdge

By May 2008, R&C FToD had sold over a million.

IronBass

Already posted buddy. By me too :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Also, I maintain the PS3 and 360 can sell these games if they are marketed well enough eveen if it would be harder.ActicEdge
Especially if you do it for both .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Already posted buddy. By me too :DActicEdge
I'm getting old. D:
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 ActicEdge

Man, there's nothing wrong with wishing that such a vivid artstyle could be recreated with much more detail. At the very least, screaming "Suck it the **** up" isn't going to help anything.pyromaniac223

This thread has brought about an interesting concept. Tell me if I'm off base.

Any Wii game with nice, vivid concept art should have been on the PS/360? Basically the wii should have no games where the devs put work in there concept? This is what I'm gathering, am I right?

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#172 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]Man, there's nothing wrong with wishing that such a vivid artstyle could be recreated with much more detail. At the very least, screaming "Suck it the **** up" isn't going to help anything.ActicEdge

Any Wii game with nice, vivid concept art should have been on the PS/360? Basically the wii should have no games where the devs put work in there concept? This is what I'm gathering, am I right?

With that logic every FF game last gen should have been on the Xbox.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"] Also, I maintain the PS3 and 360 can sell these games if they are marketed well enough eveen if it would be harder.IronBass
Especially if you do it for both .

Yes this is true, if this game was presumably in HD, it would be on both consoles most definitely. Also, you're not old, well, that old anyway :P

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 pyromaniac223

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]Man, there's nothing wrong with wishing that such a vivid artstyle could be recreated with much more detail. At the very least, screaming "Suck it the **** up" isn't going to help anything.ActicEdge

Not what I'm saying. It's just a personal thing for me. I'm totally fine with every wii exclusive staying exclusive, but this is some of my favorite concept art this gen. For me personally it would have been better on PC or an HD console.
stepat201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 stepat201

I wouldn't say that. It's just that seeing these concept screens gives people hope that the game will look at least somewhat like the concept art, and putting it on last-gen hardware takes those chances away.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]Man, there's nothing wrong with wishing that such a vivid artstyle could be recreated with much more detail. At the very least, screaming "Suck it the **** up" isn't going to help anything.SparkyProtocol

This isn't about last gen where the graphics leap between consoles wasn't so huge however. Also, I'm asking if the logic is sound or not, not for comparison.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 deactivated-63f6895020e66

Also, you're not old, well, that old anyway :P

ActicEdge

I dunno why, but that didn't make me feel better... D:

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]Man, there's nothing wrong with wishing that such a vivid artstyle could be recreated with much more detail. At the very least, screaming "Suck it the **** up" isn't going to help anything.stepat201

I wouldn't say that. It's just that seeing these concept screens gives people hope that the game will look at least somewhat like the concept art, and putting it on last-gen hardware takes those chances away.

But by this logic like I posted, any wii game with gripping concept art will do the same thing and the cycle would continue. This isn't about personal preference here, I'm saying if wii games had concept art as amazing as this more often, would it be sound to say they should just be on the PS3 and 360? Don't think of the question as an exception like this case, think of it as a general thing.So again, is what I'm getting at making sense?

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#179 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I can't believe wii haters these days.

Apparently the game is automatically at fault just for being on the system :|

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]Man, there's nothing wrong with wishing that such a vivid artstyle could be recreated with much more detail. At the very least, screaming "Suck it the **** up" isn't going to help anything.pyromaniac223

Not what I'm saying. It's just a personal thing for me. I'm totally fine with every wii exclusive staying exclusive, but this is some of my favorite concept art this gen. For me personally it would have been better on PC or an HD console.

Don't think I'm trying to pick on you. I'm the exact same, I want to see what this would be like on stronger hardware, however I'm playing devil's advocate to try and make a point. I know you aren't a hater lol.

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#181 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

The pics look good, let's hope it doesn't stay as just some nice concept artwork when we see it translated into the actual game.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#182 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

This isn't about last gen where the graphics leap between consoles wasn't so huge however. Also, I'm asking if the logic is sound or not, not for comparison.

It was still big. I am just giving an example because I am bored.
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 pyromaniac223

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Don't think I'm trying to pick on you. I'm the exact same, I want to see what this would be like on stronger hardware, however I'm playing devil's advocate to try and make a point. I know you aren't a hater lol.

That is a pretty interesting point though.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#184 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Yeah let's have this on ps3 or 360. We all know what happened to Lair.
You guys don't seem to care one bit but i don't want talent to go bankrupt just because they had to make it HD to be noticed by You.
What if this game doesn't turn out to be good? I still wouldn't want them to go bankrupt, cause i think they could make a great game.
Would it break several hundred thousand on 360/ps3 even if it is a little different? I wouldn't want to bet my house on that, and that's what You're asking for.

The wii allows for experimental design, it is one of the wii's slight advantages. They could have used the DS for it, or a downloadservice, or the wii. I would rather see it on any of those than the 360/ps3.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 OreoMilkshake

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"]Man, there's nothing wrong with wishing that such a vivid artstyle could be recreated with much more detail. At the very least, screaming "Suck it the **** up" isn't going to help anything.stepat201

Yeah this is the first time in history that a game won't look as good as the concept art.
hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 hy4k

My rachet link is more recent so I'm going with that. You de blob list doesn't state worldwide (which THQ said was 700k). As I've said wii is the best choice but not all cartoony games sell well on it. Also, I maintain the PS3 and 360 can sell these games if they are marketed well enough eveen if it would be harder.

ActicEdge

and i maintain they cant.just like i maintaint that online focused shooters cant sell well on the wii. different demographics, different expectations

i'll go with your ratchet link as well, but it doesnt make it a top seller. Especially if a lower rated sonic game can sell more at launch as well and a low budget new ip from THQ isn't far of. both of which cost significantly less to make

ideally the game should be multiplatform but the Wii is a vastly superior option for the game compared to the PS3/360 combo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 deactivated-63f6895020e66

i'll go with your ratchet link as well, but it doesnt make it a top seller. hy4k

Nor does it need to be.

Besides, over 1 million sales are very, very, very good.

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

Wow does anyone here care about gameplay anymore?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 ActicEdge

Scythes777

I do but I can't really make a judgement about how something plays from concept art. I can actually only talk about well, how it looks.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

Scythes777
Atmosphere and awe-inspiring set pieces with good use of lighting and shadows that set mood are just as important to me. They make it a better experience.
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 pyromaniac223

Scythes777
We don't have any yet. All we have is a bunch of fantastic, imaginative concept art.
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#192 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

*in reference to the reason this game is Steam Punk*

Look what Disney Channel has done! Curse you Hannah Montana! You literally destroyed Mickey Mouse's world! :evil:

Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts
[QUOTE="Scythes777"]

pyromaniac223
We don't have any yet. All we have is a bunch of fantastic, imaginative concept art.

I am saying that everyone here is just talking about the graphics being worse because its on the Wii. People should be talking about other things.
mtradr43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 mtradr43
Member since 2005 • 5272 Posts
[QUOTE="AAllxxjjnn"][QUOTE="Scythes777"]

Atmosphere and awe-inspiring set pieces with good use of lighting and shadows that set mood are just as important to me. They make it a better experience.

exactly, imagine a game like bioshock on the wii, it would be so sad.
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 pyromaniac223
[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"][QUOTE="Scythes777"]

Scythes777

I am saying that everyone here is just talking about the graphics being worse because its on the Wii. People should be talking about other things.

There's nothing else to talk about when all we've been given is art.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 OreoMilkshake

[QUOTE="Scythes777"][QUOTE="pyromaniac223"] We don't have any yet. All we have is a bunch of fantastic, imaginative concept art.pyromaniac223

There's nothing else to talk about when all we've been given is art.

We can actually talk about the art and give our thoughts on the story and what's going on. But that sounds too civilized for SW.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#197 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

*in reference to the reason this game is Steam Punk*

Look what Disney Channel has done! Curse you Hannah Montana! You literally destroyed Mickey Mouse's world! :evil:

magiciandude

Agreed. Hope Disney doesn't forget its roots

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#198 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
Wait, so it's a platformer? Other than going for a realistic style, is it supposed to be "mature" and "dark," like American McGee's Alice?
Avatar image for Captain_Lorelli
Captain_Lorelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Captain_Lorelli
Member since 2004 • 1078 Posts

To all you complaining about the graphics and style on the Wii. You do realize Pixar is working on this right? Do you really think they would create a world that was not perfectly polished. Look at what nintendo did with SMG. Combine Spector, Disney Interactive, Pixar and the power of cellshading and you will have an amazing looking game. I am certain this game can surpass SMG on every level with the amount of talent working on it.

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 hy4k
Wait, so it's a platformer? Other than going for a realistic style, is it supposed to be "mature" and "dark," like American McGee's Alice?DeathScape666
i dont think it's trying ro be edgy or sexy it seems more gloomy to be honest. kind of showing what would happen if the world of disney fell into disrepair