Concept Art on Warren Spector's (Deus Ex creator) Steampunk Mickey Mouse Epic!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Holy BALLS!!!!

GODDAM! American Mcgee am cry. I'm still baffled Disney gave them their blessing.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

when did warren spector start doing kindom hearts?

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
You know, some things are just too awesome to be real. This is one of them. No way would Disney ever allow this.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thunderdrone

when did warren spector start doing kindom hearts?

WilliamRLBaker
Its supposed to the game that tops Galaxy.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Thunderdrone

You know, some things are just too awesome to be real. This is one of them. No way would Disney ever allow this. Cherokee_Jack

They already did.

Last year:

Could Warren Spector's Junction Point Studios be at work on a title about Disney's seminal Mickey Mouse?

Gamasutra has seen concept art and information that indicates a title codenamed "Epic Mickey" may be in development at the Austin-based, Disney-owned developer.

Concept art from early versions of the game that we viewed showed mockups of the potential game's environment, including pencil sketches of cities assembled from junk.

Another sketch included a surreal seashore invasion scene, in which machines wearing the faces of the Seven Dwarfs deposit old-fashioned renditions of Disney characters onto the beach with mechanical hands.

Though the kooky environmental concepts, with visible large cogs, gears and even a large fork that serves as a building's awning, are somewhat reminiscent of Disney's Toontown Online MMO, the images -- particularly the cloud-stained seaside painting -- have a distinctly shadowed, steampunk vibe.

This information ties up with an early 2008 report from EGM Magazine columnist Quartermann that noted: "Word is that Spector's new Disney project will be a platformer looking to compete with a certain pesky plumber. And who's big enough to take on Nintendo's star? Only the mouse himself!"

Providing more background, this summer, Spector mentioned on his own Junction Point weblog: "My team and I have been working hard on our own and (get ready for the cool factor to go way up) in collaboration with folks from Disney Feature Animation and Pixar."

Junction Point itself is wholly owned by Disney since its acquisition in 2007, giving it the potential to use leading in-house IP in its games, including that of Mickey Mouse.

Deus Ex co-creator Spector has never provided further information on his current project. But around the same time as the summer's weblog comments, Spector noted at the Game Education Summit that "one hundred hour games are on the way out", and that he was "so tired of making games about guys in black leather carrying guns."

However, it's unclear whether the ****of the concept art or the game's working title will fully carry through to this Junction Point project's conclusion -- or, indeed, exactly how far into development it is. Gamasutra will update with more information as it becomes available.

-------------------------------------------------------------

June 2009 article

Gamasutra had the chance to catch up with Graham Hopper, general manager of Disney Interactive Studios, and get an update on Warren Spector's Junction Point studio, its project, and how Disney's creative process is allowing Spector's creativity to flourish.

So: Warren Spector. What's up?

Graham Hopper: One of these days you'll find out.

Have to ask.

GH: Warren's hard at work. He has a team working on a great project. We're going to show it when it's right and ready. We're very encouraged by what we're seeing. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

-------------------------------------------------------------

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Well Warren Spector is a legend. And the concept art is certainly nice.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
my first thought: Tim burton's interpretation on Disney AKA, they look freaking awesome
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Spector is quite likely the most overrated (or rather overcredited to be specific) designer in the industry, but those concept art pieces look simply awesome

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
That concept art looks amazing. Very dream-like. I love it.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#10 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Warren Spector's Steampunk Mickey Mouse Epic

Steampunk Mickey Mouse Epic

First thought: What?! :shock:

Second thought: What... the... hell?! :?

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#11 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]You know, some things are just too awesome to be real. This is one of them. No way would Disney ever allow this. Thunderdrone

They already did.

Yes, I know the game exists, thanks. I just don't think this is really concept art for it.

Or at least the game will never look like this.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

The concept art looks pretty good

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skrat_01

Spector is quite likely the most overrated (or rather overcredited to be specific) designer in the industry,

AdrianWerner

Really?

Colour me interested.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Today's article from Eurogamer:

Evidence has emerged that Warren Spector's Junction Point Studios is working on a game codenamed "Epic Mickey" for the Wii, offering a dark, steampunk-style take on Mickey Mouse and the Magic Kingdom.

Most of the evidence comes from the rumour-hunter's faithful friend - concept artists' websites - and appears to corroborate a Gamasutra report from late last year that first identified the "Epic Mickey" codename.

Tireless digger Superannuation has turned up the website of concept artist Tony Pulham, whose resumé reveals he recently joined Junction Point to work on "Epic Mickey", and identifies it as a Wii game.

Another Superannuation post unearthed some beautiful concepts for "Epic Mickey" on the website of artist Fred Gambino. Pictures show the Mickey Mouse ears adorning a gigantic, crumbling paddle-steamer, the spires of the Magic Kingdom castle perched atop a twisted tower of rock, and a semi-mechanical "Zombie Goofey" [sic].

Meanwhile, a poster on the NeoGAF forum has found what appear to be the same concepts described in the original Gamasutra report, showing more distorted, nightmarish, mechanical versions of classic Disney characters, including the Seven Dwarves. They come from the artist Gary Glover's site.

Disney Interactive Studios bought Junction Point - which Deus Ex mastermind Spector formed with several other Ion Storm alumni - two years ago. Not long after, it was rumoured - notably in American gaming magazine EGM - that Spector was working on a Mickey Mouse platform game intended to rival Mario.

Last year, Spector said that he was "tired of making games about guys in black leather carrying guns" and that "100-hour games are on the way out". He also revealed that Disney Feature Animation and Pixar were collaborating on Junction Point's game.

And there's more. In an archived Edge interview from E3 2006 - before the Disney acquisition - Spector said: "I want to do a cartoon game really bad - well, really good. People don't realise that I did my Masters thesis on Warner Brothers cartoons, you know - I used to teach animation classes, I've been a Disney stockholder since I was 19. I'm a cartoon freak, I've met a bunch of the old WB directors, and did Toon, the cartoon [pen-and-paper] RPG... And I've been trying to get somebody to let me do a cartoon game for the entire time I've been in the videogame business."

In that same interview, Spector even alluded to a project that sounds an awful lot like "Epic Mickey". "I did some concept work on a license with a media company that was very cartoony, and boy, we did some great work," he said. "It was the most fun I've had in a long time, maybe since Deus Ex. The work was phenomenal, and I'll never be able to show it or talk about it with anybody. But hopefully the project will happen. We were gonna let people live in a cartoon world, and it was going to be wacky."

A friend of Eurogamer also once spotted Warren Spector wearing a Mickey Mouse backpack and hoodie in public. True story.

Here's hoping Spector's paymasters at Disney allow him to realise some of the extraordinary vision hinted at by those concept images, because it's mouth-watering stuff. And a long way from the Castle of Illusion...

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts

Looks awesom-o.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I see half of the pictures are dead.
Pandajerk29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Pandajerk29
Member since 2008 • 708 Posts

you beat me to it:P (just posted this) yeah the game looks amazing and creepy.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]You know, some things are just too awesome to be real. This is one of them. No way would Disney ever allow this.

They have to do something with Mickey Mouse other than just preschool shows for however long he will last.
hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts
i'm not going to lie to you i'm very aroused
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 skrat_01
[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]You know, some things are just too awesome to be real. This is one of them. No way would Disney ever allow this.

They have to do something with Mickey Mouse other than just preschool shows for however long he will last.

Agreed, generations have grown up with the characters, why not pushing things in different directions - there is a potential audience for it.
NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts

i'm not going to lie to you i'm very arousedhy4k

Your avatar and then this text next to it... disturbing XD

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thunderdrone
I see half of the pictures are dead.siLVURcross
Removed. Dunno what happened there. I think they saw it got leaked and they were removed from that particular account
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Thunderdrone

[QUOTE="hy4k"]i'm not going to lie to you i'm very arousedNielsNL

Your avatar and then this text next to it... disturbing XD

Michael Jackson sexual jokes? -__-'
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

I hope the Wii will do the concept art justice. No offense to Wii owners or anything, just having see too many Wii 3D games that have completely mind blowing. There have been some good looking games on it like SMG but not in comparison to the HD consoles. I have no doubt it will look great just hope it does this amazing concept art justice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
what is this. steampunk mickey mouse? That's got to be a lie.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Thunderdrone

I hope the Wii will do the concept art justice. No offense to Wii owners or anything, just having see too many Wii 3D games that have completely mind blowing. There have been some good looking games on it like SMG but not in comparison to the HD consoles. I have no doubt it will look great just hope it does this amazing concept art justice.

spinecaton

If Namco bandai managed to make the under the radar/"low budget" game "Fragile" look like this on the Wii...

... i'm shure Specter can cook something better with a higher budget and proper ambition (and it looks like a very ambitious project)

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

Thunderdrone

If Namco bandai managed to make the under the radar/"low budget" game "Fragile" look like this on the Wii...

... i'm shure Specter can cook something better with a higher budget and proper ambition (and it looks like a very ambitious project)

I said that it would look great, just hope that it looks as epic as the concept art. Gee say a small negative thing and I get scolded :(

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Thunderdrone

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

spinecaton

I said that it would look great, just hope that it looks as epic as the concept art. Gee say a small negative thing and I get scolded :(

huh, was my post aggressive? I just posted an example of a simillar type of style done right on the system on a relatively "short" budget.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]

Thunderdrone

huh, was my post aggressive? I just posted an example of a simillar type of style done right on the system on a relatively "short" budget.

No it wasn't agressive but you did scold me :(

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Thunderdrone

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"][QUOTE="spinecaton"]

spinecaton

No it wasn't agressive but you did scold me :(

Wasnt my intention :( . Accept my apologies

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

Spector is quite likely the most overrated (or rather overcredited to be specific) designer in the industry,

skrat_01

Really?

Colour me interested.

Well, he designed ONE game. A game that's a masterpiece and of best games ever made, but still one game. You often see people crediting him as creator of stuff from Ultima through System Shock ending with Thief, all of which he hardly had any input on. Heck...I even saw some nutjob tried to claim WingCommander as "Spector's game"

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

WTF IS THAT!!!

Please tell me Disney had something to do with that!

B055

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 B055
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

I might pick it up if the game looks anything like the concept art but dunno if that will happens with how some wii games look. Reminds me of kingdom hearts.:)

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Thunderdrone

WTF IS THAT!!!

Please tell me Disney had something to do with that!

Wasdie

Disney gave them their blessing, do you really want any further input from them?

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
Wow that looks quite cool.
Pandajerk29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Pandajerk29
Member since 2008 • 708 Posts

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

Whoa! concept art looks awesome. As an artist myself I really appreciate those.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

The stinky part, it's rumored to be a Wii exclusive, so we won't get to see this beautiful art fully realized in HD and pretty textures. :(

Still, Brutal Legend now has competition for my most anticipated game ever! :P

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts
That concept art looks ridiculously good. I hope the game mirrors the dark tones we're seeing. A dark Disney game featuring Mickey would be awesome. Glad to see Disney is allowing their golden star a lttle breathing room in terms of concepts.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
That made me go "WTF" and "That's so cool" at the same time, a combination I like.
hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hy4k
Thunderdrone delivers once again seriously this art is amazing. i'm anticipating this more than every other wii/ps3/360 game combined got dam this is going to be the best disney came since castle of illusion on genesis
pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts
Sweet Jesus. Do want.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
[QUOTE="hy4k"]Thunderdrone delivers once again seriously this art is amazing. i'm anticipating this more than every other wii/ps3/360 game combined got dam this is going to be the best disney came since castle of illusion on genesis

:D I like thunderdrone. At least he has a sense of humour. It's hard to believe they got permission to do this in this world and age, with disney... This is like a month after someone i know got fee'd for holding a mickey mouse statue to his crotch, because it insulted the name of mickey mouse... Seriously, people should lighten up a little!
SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts

That looks awesome. :shock:

What consoles will it be released for though?

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hy4k
[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="hy4k"]Thunderdrone delivers once again seriously this art is amazing. i'm anticipating this more than every other wii/ps3/360 game combined got dam this is going to be the best disney came since castle of illusion on genesis

:D I like thunderdrone. At least he has a sense of humour. It's hard to believe they got permission to do this in this world and age, with disney... This is like a month after someone i know got fee'd for holding a mickey mouse statue to his crotch, because it insulted the name of mickey mouse... Seriously, people should lighten up a little!

true but i like that they're doing it. it looks so distinct and atmospheric disney games used to be awesome on snes and genesis
VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
[QUOTE="SaintBlaze"]

WII!
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

SaintBlaze

It's rumoured as Wii exclusive. But I don't know I would be happy if this was a Wii game like it is rumoured to be.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"][QUOTE="hy4k"]Thunderdrone delivers once again seriously this art is amazing. i'm anticipating this more than every other wii/ps3/360 game combined got dam this is going to be the best disney came since castle of illusion on genesishy4k

true but i like that they're doing it. it looks so distinct and atmospheric disney games used to be awesome on snes and genesis

But after the SNES and Genesis I think Sony lost the rights to the Disney series because Sony make alot of the Disney games on the Genesis and SNES.

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hy4k

But after the SNES and Genesis I think Sony lost the rights to the Disney series because Sony make alot of the Disney games on the Genesis and SNES.

Nintendo_Ownes7

shame :(

do you remember aladdin on genesis? that game was superb

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"] But after the SNES and Genesis I think Sony lost the rights to the Disney series because Sony make alot of the Disney games on the Genesis and SNES.

hy4k

shame :(

do you remember aladdin on genesis? that game was superb

That game was great.