CoD: Ghosts is overly complex and the maps are too big.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

According to IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-review

11/10 game

#gamesjournalism

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

All IGN staff are agoraphobic cretins confirmed.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

lol. Doubt it.

I'll check that out.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

large and complex

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

big maps? not a problem at all.

IGN must be full of those same kinds of asswipes that ALWAYS voted for Nuketown/ that one microscopic map present in every call of duty released since 4. I really do hate how much everyone fawns over those.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Aw are you upset you can't just run around with a shotgun hip firing at everything. The only thing wrong with the bigger maps are its still just 6 on 6, that number needs to be upped for TDM and KC

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Jebus bashing a new FPS game that isn't Arma again

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I thought this was a joke. I can't believe the words "overly complex" can be found anywhere in a CoD review.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Never heard that said about COD before. I'm actually interested in the game now.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Those of you who don't appreciate the "maps too large" negative need to go play Unreal Tournament 3 and do without vehicles. lol

Basically, when a map is too large for the player count, it feels empty. Action is too sporadic. More time is spent trying to get somewhere than actually doing something or seeing things happening.

As for it being "overly complex"...seems like a bad knock, but if things aren't explained adequately, I can see how it could be a problem.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@BPoole96 said:

I thought this was a joke. I can't believe the words "overly complex" can be found anywhere in a CoD review.

Only for people who's IQ is under 80 which is anyone at IGN.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

I admit i laughed when i saw that in the cons list from IGN. IGN is Truly the bottom of the barrel when it comes to game journalism.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

@Dreams-Visions said:

Those of you who don't appreciate the "maps too large" negative need to go play Unreal Tournament 3 and do without vehicles. lol

Basically, when a map is too large for the player count, it feels empty. Action is too sporadic. More time is spent trying to get somewhere than actually doing something or seeing things happening.

As for it being "overly complex"...seems like a bad knock, but if things aren't explained adequately, I can see how it could be a problem.

Sounds like BF3/BF4 on PS3/360

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

It was even funnier reading their review on MAG. The guy didnt even know how to play it. All his cons were based on how not to play the game.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

complex lol wonder how the reviewer explained it

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

@BPoole96 said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

Sounds like BF3/BF4 on PS3/360

I'd believe it. It's something I don't like about BF all that much. It's hard to marry vehicle combat with on-foot combat. The inability to do so is what killed the Unreal Tournament series.

I distinctly remember running for a full minute or two in BF3, then getting killed and having to do it all again. lol. That said, there were also maps that were on-foot only which were good.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I guess tying your shoes is complex and my back yard is too large

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

Now I actually want to try game because those are both plus to me. I hate online game with small map or to simple.

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

Wanna see big maps? Play ARMA.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

non gamers

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

For CoD's community anything is overly complex when it isn't *Press A to play* and the rest is on auto pilot.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I getting tired of all these useless collective stuff for achievements in every game, ghost have these "Rourke memory", Bf4 had those "Dog tags"...

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

Those complaints sound more along the lines of a Battlefield game.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

How the hell is this game scoring so high?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

Big maps? Wonder what they mean by big. Curious if Activision is attempting to curb the Battlefield market.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Every new CoD seems to bring nothing that warrants a full fledged sequel as opposed to simple DLC or expansion pack.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

Complexity by itself isn't a good thing.

If the new CoD bogs down in some of the unnecessary new mechanics, that means it's too complex for its own good. After all, it's a series known as accessible and straightforward, so if that is being changed in some superficial way to please "teh hardcorz", their complaint is valid. Also, CoD isn't BF, it's a fast shooter keeping you on edge the whole time, so if the maps are big for the sake of being big, while not suited for the game's style of play, that's a valid complaint as well.

Calm yourself, Jebus, no one is comparing this to Arma, or whatever you like these days... if there even is a game on the market you actually like.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NameIess_One

@lamprey263 said:

Big maps? Wonder what they mean by big. Curious if Activision is attempting to curb the Battlefield market.

See Dreams-VIsions' post above... what they mean is, they believe the maps are too big for CoD's style of play, which makes them feel empty at times, too much walking, too little action.

I don't see the problem with this review, it's not meant to compare CoD to other games, it's reviewing it on its own terms... increasing complexity and reducing accessibility just to suit the Internet whiners, and increasing the map size while keeping the gameplay formula intact would hurt the series... don't like CoD's approach to the FPS genre, don't play it, a very simple solution.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46169 Posts

Well, IGN has called COD the thinking man's shooter, so that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

If a game is too complex for the thinking man, than it should be downrated for it.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jebus213
@seanmcloughlin said:

Jebus bashing a new FPS game that isn't Arma again

Can you give me a valid reason not to bash the PC version CoD Ghosts?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jebus213
@NameIess_One said:

increasing complexity and reducing accessibility just to suit the Internet whiners, and increasing the map size while keeping the gameplay formula intact would hurt the series... don't like CoD's approach to the FPS genre, don't play it, a very simple solution.

The funny thing is is that they didn't do any of that.

Thanks for sharing that little piece of garbage info. You're doing bad job at hiding the fact that you don't want people to say bad things about something you like.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NameIess_One

@Jebus213 said:
@NameIess_One said:

increasing complexity and reducing accessibility just to suit the Internet whiners, and increasing the map size while keeping the gameplay formula intact would hurt the series... don't like CoD's approach to the FPS genre, don't play it, a very simple solution.

The funny thing is is that they didn't do any of that.

Thanks for sharing that little piece of garbage info. You're doing bad job at hiding the fact that you don't want people to say bad things about something you like.

Haven't picked up a CoD game since the original Black Ops... regretted that purchase a lot. Not a fan, only, I don't bitch about its success.

Here, you aren't criticizing CoD, you're whining because it's popular, while you don't like it. You are incapable of understanding the appeal of CoD, and as such, you can't provide any meaningful and rational criticism.

Always the same with you:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46169 Posts

@-Unreal- said:

Every new CoD seems to bring nothing that warrants a full fledged sequel as opposed to simple DLC or expansion pack.

Sure, but if people are stupid enough to pay 15 dollars for 3 to 5 maps, than there is no reason for them to include anything new in DLC form.

I'm not a fan of all the BF DLC but at least that offers a lot more content for 10-15 dollars compared to COD DLC.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58821 Posts

That's why I stick to Arma 3, alot easier to get into.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jebus213
@NameIess_One said:

Haven't picked up a CoD game since the original Black Ops... regretted that purchase a lot. Not a fan, only, I don't bitch about its success.

Here, you aren't criticizing CoD, you're whining because it's popular, while you don't like it. You are incapable of understanding the appeal of CoD, and as such, you can't provide any meaningful and rational criticism.

I've said this countless times- No dedicated servers, no dedi server files, no mod tools, no more 64 player madness, and complete shit PC support in general.

Do I still sound like somebody who's whining because it's popular? If they still supported the PC this thread wouldn't exist and my only reason to complain and not to buy CoD would be because it's very copy&paste.

Then again, the game really isn't trying to appeal to hardcore gamers in anyway. It's no more complex then the last game. The maps aren't too big. They're just generic and horribly designed.

I understand the appeal of CoD. I can complain about whatever I want whenever I want. If you don't like deal with it and for some reason you can't deal with that.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

That seems funny for a COD review indeed.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Probably too big for the amount of people on the Map.

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NameIess_One

@Jebus213 said:
@NameIess_One said:

I've said this countless times- No dedicated servers, no dedi server files, no mod tools, no more 64 player madness, and complete shit PC support in general.

Do I still sound like somebody who's whining because it's popular? If they still supported the PC this thread wouldn't exist and my only reason to complain and not to buy CoD would be because it's very copy&paste.

Then again, the game really isn't trying to appeal to hardcore gamers in anyway. It's no more complex then the last game. The maps aren't too big. They're just generic and horribly designed.

I understand the appeal of CoD. I can complain about whatever I want whenever I want. If you don't like deal with it and for some reason you can't deal with that.

Seems it supports dedicated servers after all... as for the lack of mod tools, that sadly goes for just about any high-profile MP game these days, so if that's a selling point for you, your choices are rather limited.

64 player madness... if that's your preference when it comes to MP games, nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't mean an arena style MP is bad. It's a valid design choice, with its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

As for the lack of good PC support, I'll give you that one... the way they handled Ghosts on the PC is truly embarrassing.

Lastly, about complexity, it doesn't have to refer to the stuff you see during gameplay, maybe they complaint is addressing some unnecessary features in the menu about character creation or something, which adds nothing to the game, but only makes it more confusing. And again, maps may not be big compared to Arma or BF maps, but they just felt they were bigger than necessary for the CoD style of play, making the game feel emptier than it should. Still, I can't comment much on these two complaints since I haven't played the game (and don't intend to), but still, they can be valid.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jebus213
@NameIess_One said:

@Jebus213 said:
@NameIess_One said:

Seems it supports dedicated servers after all... as for the lack of mod tools, that sadly goes for just about any high-profile MP game these days, so if that's a selling point for you, your choices are rather limited.

64 player madness... if that's your preference when it comes to MP games, nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't mean an arena style MP is bad. It's a valid design choice, with its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

As for the lack of good PC support, I'll give you that one... the way they handled Ghosts on the PC is truly embarrassing.

Lastly, about complexity, it doesn't have to refer to the stuff you see during gameplay, maybe they complaint is addressing some unnecessary features in the menu about character creation or something, which adds nothing to the game, but only makes it more confusing. And again, maps may not be big compared to Arma or BF maps, but they just felt they were bigger than necessary for the CoD style of play, making the game feel emptier than it should. Still, I can't comment much on these two complaints since I haven't played the game (and don't intend to), but still, they can be valid.

That's a selling point for CoD.

You lost me at "Arena style".

Maps are not too big. Even for CoD.

Game isn't complex in anyway.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

look what consoles have done to gaming..

seems like IGN didn't get their free doritoes, mountain dew , and taco bell

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NameIess_One

@Jebus213 said:

That's a selling point for CoD.

You lost me at "Arena style".

Maps are not too big. Even for CoD.

Game isn't complex in anyway.

Mod tools are a selling point for CoD?

Feel free not to be a fan of "Arena style" MP, doesn't change the fact it's still a valid design choice, while some of the most recognized MP experiences in the FPS genre are built around it (Quake 3, Counterstrike).

As for the rest, since I haven't played the game, can't provide any overly insightful reply. I'm just saying they can be valid complaints, if CoD is reviewed on its own terms, without comparing it to competitors like BF4. If they said anywhere CoD is more complex than something like Arma, Planetside 2, BF4, etc, my only response would've been a simple "LOL!"

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

The maps are too complex as in theirs so much clutter. You can't run any where without taking a few steps and dying instantly. You die really quick in this game (more than any COD) and the map layouts are just bad. No focal points at all.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

CoD requires all kinds of skill to be good.

gta50419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gta50419
Member since 2010 • 350 Posts

Better to have small fun maps then to run for 30-40 seconds to find someone

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I've seen this complaint for COD Ghosts from users. Essentially 8-12 players is too few for the size of the maps. So people run around for minutes (probably 10-15 seconds) and don't engage in combat. This is a valid complaint for a series that relies on ADD action.

As for overly complex, I had no idea what they mean by that. Maybe squad points aren't very easy to understand?

defanual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 defanual
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I can confirm it's far from complex but the majority of the maps are indeed far too big, if the max player count was double it'd be about right. Other than that, nothing majorly new and if you've played more then 2 COD games you may be bored / disappointed.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

How big? like are they trying to compete with Battlefield map sizes now?