Chrono Trigger vs. Final Fantasy VI......Which is better?

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

First off, I apologize to the mods if this is in the wrong forum and ask if you could move it if it is. (I read the forum thread rules so I thought this is okay).

Onto it!

Which of these two SNES jrpg behemoths is better? Or if you think they are equal, which do you prefer personally?

I actually preferred FF VI for years, then I replayed Chrono Trigger, and replayed it again. And now I think Chrono Trigger is better, I think it has a more cohesive story and the characters are more memorable. I also love the non-random battles.

FFVI is without a doubt one of the greatest *games* ever made, id even put it in my top 25 of all time, but CT makes the top ten cut.

P.S. - One thing I noticed, is that with decisions like this i.e. - Megaman 2 vs. Megaman 3, I usually prefer the one I have completed the most recently the best.

So which do you guys like more?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Chrono Trigger. FF sucks.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3476 Posts

Here we go again... *Gets the popcorn ready*

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Chrono Trigger easily. Tactics is the best Final Fantasy. Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Suikoden 2, and Mother 3 are the best the genre has to offer imo, I'd put any of these as the best JRPG.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

I like both almost equally, but I'd have to lean to CT as it has more "replayability value" than FF VI.

I just wish that there'd be some sort of modern remake to CT, but knowing Squenix, they might **** it up.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 foxhound_fox

@jasonofa36 said:

I like both almost equally, but I'd have to lean to CT as it has more "replayability value" than FF VI.

I just wish that there'd be some sort of modern remake to CT, but knowing Squenix, they might **** it up.

There already was one. But S-E gave it a C&D three months before release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Resurrection

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Well, damn. This either points to squenix making their own remake or just protecting their IP. I'd go for the latter.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 foxhound_fox

@jasonofa36 said:

@foxhound_fox: Well, damn. This either points to squenix making their own remake or just protecting their IP. I'd go for the latter.

Likely just protecting the IP. That happened in 2004. I remember someone talking a year or two ago about wanting to do a Chrono Trigger remake/sequel with S-E (one who was involved with the original) but it was just a desire IIRC.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@MarkoftheSivak: Dang man...Both amazing gems from long, long ago. I'd give Chrono Trigger the nod as better game, but I love FF3 (6) more.

Still...it's been 20 years so...my opinion shouldn't matter. I just came in for the nostalgia.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Both are at the very pinnacle of the rpg golden age. Might as well throw Lunar in this mix just to watch a Battle Royale match-up.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#12 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I'd say Chrono Trigger but opinion may be biased towards the Chrono Series as a whole. Also I did not complete FFVI. I'm actually playing it right now tbh

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

Both are two of the greatest games of all time and I love them both but I would choose Chrono Trigger. I love the whole time travel aspect of the game and the myriad of different things you do in the game because of it. It’s my favourite game of all time.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

How many endings did FF VI have again?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

We didn't get either in the UK.

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

Although I think ranking games is at the end pointless, I sometimes indulge with friends and we discuss which is the second best JRPG. Second best because Chrono Trigger is the best easily.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Confession: I got half way through both games before giving up because I thought they were boring.

Final Fantasy IV and Super Mario RPG are better than both games.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Like them both about equally and they're both probably my favorite JRPGs.

But I feel Chrono Trigger is the better game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Shining Force is the only correct answer.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online

Shining Force is alright, but not really the same genre, plus Shining Force II is better in almost every way.

Also as far as Sega stuff goes, Phantasy Star IV is better than SF 1 and 2 (never played CD or 3, but have always heard it's all downhill after 2 anyways).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ConanTheStoner said:

Shining Force is alright, but not really the same genre (plus Shining Force II is better in almost every way).

Also as far as Sega stuff goes, Phantasy Star IV is better than both SF games.

Well they are in the same genre if a little different, and while I like the Phantasy Star games, the Shining Force series is better.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millennium is the correct answer.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online

@i_p_daily said:

Well they are in the same genre if a little different, and while I like the Phantasy Star games, the Shining Force series is better.

Disagreed on Phantasy Star IV in particular, (not comparing series here only individual games) but fair enough. Wouldn't be surprised if Shining Force is a better series than Phantasy Star as a whole (Couldn't say as I haven't played both series in their entirety). But I wouldn't put Shining Force 1 in the same ballpark as Phantasy Star 4.

And if we were comparing entire series in this thread, then FF would take a massive dump all over these games we're comparing anyways.

I'm only wondering why you're in here saying Shining Force is the only correct answer when by your own admission you haven't even played FFVI or Chrono Trigger lol.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Did a playthrough last weekend, first time in a while and I realized how much it is simple and dumbed down.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Chrono Trigger > FFVI.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner  Online

@MonsieurX said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Did a playthrough last weekend, first time in a while and I realized how much it is simple and dumbed down.

Yeah it's still a fun and very charming game. And it's pretty much my go-to recommendation as the training wheels rpg for younger kids getting into gaming.

It's not like simplicity is a bad thing either, too many jrpgs are bloated and needlessly convoluted as fvck. Part of the reason why people like Chrono Trigger so much is because of how streamlined and to-the-point it tends to be.

But I do agree that a revisit can greatly change a persons opinion. Not saying it will for Fox, he might play it all the time and still love it. But for me, yeah. It went from being one of my favorites of that gen to just being another good game among many.

Still like the game, still appreciate it for what it is, and would still love to see a proper sequel (lulz). But best jrpg? Even for that gen alone? Nah, not even in my top 5 anymore.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox

@ConanTheStoner said:
@MonsieurX said:

Yeah it's still a fun and very charming game. And it's pretty much my go-to recommendation as the training wheels rpg for younger kids getting into gaming.

It's not like simplicity is a bad thing either, too many jrpgs are bloated and needlessly convoluted as fvck. Part of the reason why people like Chrono Trigger so much is because of how streamlined and to-the-point it tends to be.

But I do agree that a revisit can greatly change a persons opinion. Not saying it will for Fox, he might play it all the time and still love it. But for me, yeah. It went from being one of my favorites of that gen to just being another good game among many.

Still like the game, still appreciate it for what it is, and would still love to see a proper sequel (lulz). But best jrpg? Even for that gen alone? Nah, not even in my top 5 anymore.

I've always loved the game. Played through it every couple years since it came out. I agree, it's VERY simple, and that's why I loved it and still love it. It's the main reason I don't like games like Persona and other over-complicated JRPG's. When you spend 2-3 hours sifting through menus to give your party the best loadout... that's not for me. I also enjoy the timed attacks, it adds a dimension of skill to the gameplay (and probably why I liked the combat in FFVIII as well; but not the incessant grind for magic).

And it's one of the few JRPG's I've played that has some half-decent platforming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@ConanTheStoner said:
@i_p_daily said:

Disagreed on Phantasy Star IV in particular, (not comparing series here only individual games) but fair enough. Wouldn't be surprised if Shining Force is a better series than Phantasy Star as a whole (Couldn't say as I haven't played both series in their entirety). But I wouldn't put Shining Force 1 in the same ballpark as Phantasy Star 4.

And if we were comparing entire series in this thread, then FF would take a massive dump all over these games we're comparing anyways.

I'm only wondering why you're in here saying Shining Force is the only correct answer when by your own admission you haven't even played FFVI or Chrono Trigger lol.

16 bit wars was hell man, and as a Sega man I have to say that lol.

Yeah when I say Shining Force i'm basically saying any in the series (take your pick) is better than any game in the Phantasy Star series.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Chrono Trigger. I don't think any of the Final Fantasies are particularly special.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14889 Posts

Final Fantasy VI

It has a more meaningful and superior story. Really, Chrono Trigger is just above average when it comes to storytelling.

CT has better gameplay, FFVI has better narrative.

@MarkoftheSivak said:

First off, I apologize to the mods if this is in the wrong forum and ask if you could move it if it is. (I read the forum thread rules so I thought this is okay).

Onto it!

Which of these two SNES jrpg behemoths is better? Or if you think they are equal, which do you prefer personally?

I actually preferred FF VI for years, then I replayed Chrono Trigger, and replayed it again. And now I think Chrono Trigger is better, I think it has a more cohesive story and the characters are more memorable. I also love the non-random battles.

FFVI is without a doubt one of the greatest *games* ever made, id even put it in my top 25 of all time, but CT makes the top ten cut.

P.S. - One thing I noticed, is that with decisions like this i.e. - Megaman 2 vs. Megaman 3, I usually prefer the one I have completed the most recently the best.

So which do you guys like more?

Actually FFVI has a more cohesive story, and none of Chrono Trigger's characters can match Celes or Kefka.

MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

@texasgoldrush

No one can match Celes or Kefka???

Hmmmm......Frog, Magus, Lucca and Robo come to mind imho.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14889 Posts

@MarkoftheSivak said:

@texasgoldrush

No one can match Celes or Kefka???

Hmmmm......Frog, Magus, Lucca and Robo come to mind imho.

They lack the sheer power Celes, Kefka, or even other cast members like Cyan have. They do not have a Terra either.