Chris Taylor to Hermits: YOUR INDUSTRY IS DYING BECAUSE OF PIRACY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Cute_Red_Panda
Member since 2008 • 1734 Posts

[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]No...The alliance was to "help" PC to get out a state they're in now. I like how you use 2006... What was the figures from 2007 to 2008?Vandalvideo
12% increase SINCE 2006. Incase you didn't know, SINCE is inclusive. The alliance consists of five of the most influential companies in the PC gaming industry. They have some pretty dang strong credibility. Not to mention the NPD's recent article about PC gaming booming backs them up.

link the report.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]

Whoa don't bring DD in this. We all know majority of DD is from music...

Cute_Red_Panda

music doesn't have anything to do with gaming.

It is when you talking about Digital Distrubution on PC...

No it doesn't. DD in music and DD in gaming are two separately measured statistics, since Valve has no interest in DD music, just as Apple has no interest in DD'd PC games.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#203 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]

Cute_Red_Panda

Except that the article is explicitly talking about PC games. Oh and according to Valve, in 2004 DD accounted for over 25% of their overall gaming revenue. Since then, that number has grown exponentially.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]No...The alliance was to "help" PC to get out a state they're in now. I like how you use 2006... What was the figures from 2007 to 2008?HuusAsking
12% increase SINCE 2006. Incase you didn't know, SINCE is inclusive. The alliance consists of five of the most influential companies in the PC gaming industry. They have some pretty dang strong credibility. Not to mention the NPD's recent article about PC gaming booming backs them up.

He's saying split it by year. Show the 2006-2007 numbers, then the 2007-2008 numbers. IOW, is the overall 12% increase due to a big 2006 disguising a 2007 decline?

No, it's hard to get the 2007 numbers right now. We didn't get the 2006 numbers until Q2 of 07.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]No...The alliance was to "help" PC to get out a state they're in now. I like how you use 2006... What was the figures from 2007 to 2008?Cute_Red_Panda

link the report.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1160#more-1160 Article by PC gaming alliance http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50962 NPD article.
Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Cute_Red_Panda
[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"][QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]

HuusAsking

No it doesn't. DD in music and DD in gaming are two separately measured statistics, since Valve has no interest in DD music, just as Apple has no interest in DD'd PC games.

Okay what statistic is he using that shows DD is booming?

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#207 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"][QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]

Cute_Red_Panda

There's another thread about this. Look it up.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"][QUOTE="Hewkii"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]

Cute_Red_Panda

Valve's own report that Steam was accounting for 1/4 of their total retail sales as of 2004...and the fact that, according to NPD's previously-cited report, DD is on the rise.
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned that a game from 1992 had anti-piracy coding. Eye of the Beholder ring a bell? Basically once you installed the game you couldn't play it unless you answered some questions first to make sure your copy was ligit. A lot of games had stuff like that in them. Starcraft even had a CD-key.
Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Cute_Red_Panda

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1160#more-1160 Article by PC gaming alliance http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50962 NPD article.Vandalvideo

I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.

Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 Vylence
Member since 2003 • 268 Posts

Prove they are making less BECAUSE OF piracy. Stardock, CDPROJECT, etc have all released games that sold multi-million copies in their first months. They seem to be doing perfectly fine.Vandalvideo

If I could find pirated versions of these game would you concede they are making less? If I could point out a number of downloads of these pirated versions would you concede they are making less? If I could find a post on stardocks site where someone had trouble with the CD protection that they have put on their games would you believe they lost money to piracy? They have to pay for CD protection, customers do become frustrated with broken installs because of CD protection. You are right definitive proof is hard to come by even if I can easily find these things. Though it seems pretty logical to me to say they are at least losing some money because of piracy.

And even if its true they are doing fine, what if you would like games on PC that pull out all the stops. You know games with AAA teams working behind them? Games with 5 million dollar budgets? How much does piracy hurt those games?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 HuusAsking
I'm surprised no one mentioned that a game from 1992 had anti-piracy coding. Eye of the Beholder ring a bell? Basically once you installed the game you couldn't play it unless you answered some questions first to make sure your copy was ligit. A lot of games had stuff like that in them. Starcraft even had a CD-key.VoodooGamer
That's not the worst of it. SSI games used the game journal as the key to a lookup lock, but what about code wheels? The first two Monkey Island games had code wheels, as did a lot of early Accolade games.
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts
I see, but there is a possibilty that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exaxt number from DD... The article state thatPC sales is no where near console and portable.

Cute_Red_Panda

Was it ever? I could be wrong but consoles have been outselling PCs since...the Atari which means more console game sales. However, that doesn't mean the PC is on the decline. It's pretty much the same as it's ever been.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Prove they are making less BECAUSE OF piracy. Stardock, CDPROJECT, etc have all released games that sold multi-million copies in their first months. They seem to be doing perfectly fine.Vylence

If I could find pirated versions of these game would you concede they are making less? If I could point out a number of downloads of these pirated versions would you concede they are making less? If I could find a post on stardocks site where someone had trouble with the CD protection that they have put on their games would you believe they lost money to piracy? They have to pay for CD protection, customers do become frustrated with broken installs because of CD protection. You are right definitive proof is hard to come by even if I can easily find these things. Though it seems pretty logical to me to say they are at least losing some money because of piracy.

And even if its true they are doing fine, what if you would like games on PC that pull out all the stops. You know games with AAA teams working behind them? Games with 5 million dollar budgets? How much does piracy hurt those games?

No you can't, because you can't prove that those who pirated the game ever had any intention to buy the games in the first place. Besides, you forgot the fact that consoles and handhelds have just as large of a piracy problem. Piracy is costing nintendo billions with the R4 chip. Despite all this, indie PC games are still selling amazingly, selling millions in the first month alone.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 karasill

I see, but there is a possibilty that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exaxt number from DD... The article state thatPC sales is no where near console and portable.

Cute_Red_Panda
Every market goes through it's valley's and mountains. So what if PC gaming goes on the decline by a little bit. I bet you anything it'll come back up. But according to DFC, PC gaming is going to grow about 280% by 2012, so I'd say PC gaming has a solid future.
Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Noldorin2646

Cute_Red_Panda

Maybe not in North America, but PC gaming's biggest proponents are in Europe and Asia minus Japan. Both S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and The Witcher sold exceptionally well in Europe.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Coyo7e
Member since 2005 • 3672 Posts

"massive growth" & "massive piracy" were also used in the same sentance.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Vandalvideo
I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.Cute_Red_Panda
Fine then, since you failed to prove me wrong, atleast provide some evidence. MISCONCEPTION! The PC gaming alliancea rticle states that the PC accounts for 30% of the overall game sales. That includes all consoles and handhelds. Thats five other platforms to split up that 70%. Even assuming an uneven distrubution, the PC is the highest grossing game platform. So it wins. You lose.
Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Noldorin2646

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Prove they are making less BECAUSE OF piracy. Stardock, CDPROJECT, etc have all released games that sold multi-million copies in their first months. They seem to be doing perfectly fine.Vylence

Do you have any qualms about buying Pre-owned games? Because that is costing devs money as well. These game owners who sell preowned games are middlemen in the game's distribution, but they did not sign contracts with the devs nor the publishers. How do you feel about that?

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Coyo7e

[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.Vandalvideo
Fine then, since you failed to prove me wrong, atleast provide some evidence. MISCONCEPTION! The PC gaming alliancea rticle states that the PC accounts for 30% of the overall game sales. That includes all consoles and handhelds. Thats five other platforms to split up that 70%. Even assuming an uneven distrubution, the PC is the highest grossing game platform. So it wins. You lose.

What I read from the linked articles did present the numbers you are presenting.

But they also use the word "piracy" with the word "massive" in front of it.

Why leave that little fact out?

Wait I get it, they are just greedy. Those bastards, they want every penny from the product they are selling. How dare they.....

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Cute_Red_Panda
[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibilty that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exaxt number from DD... The article state thatPC sales is no where near console and portable.

VoodooGamer

Was it ever? I could be wrong but consoles have been outselling PCs since...the Atari which means more console game sales. However, that doesn't mean the PC is on the decline. It's pretty much the same as it's ever been.

That begs the question. Is PC sufficent being the state its in, or is it trying to achieve a bigger goal? I think developers want to do more, hence why they are moving to console. PC isn't booming (lol). It's just continue to be on life support. PC gamers as yourself are okay with that, but I don't think developers are happy about it.

Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Vylence
[QUOTE="Vylence"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] Prove they are making less BECAUSE OF piracy. Stardock, CDPROJECT, etc have all released games that sold multi-million copies in their first months. They seem to be doing perfectly fine.Vandalvideo

No you can't, because you can't prove that those who pirated the game ever had any intention to buy the games in the first place. Besides, you forgot the fact that consoles and handhelds have just as large of a piracy problem. Piracy is costing nintendo billions with the R4 chip. Despite all this, indie PC games are still selling amazingly, selling millions in the first month alone.

Actually I can, any game developer who payed for CD protection lost money to piracy, any game which has a CD key lost money to piracy.

And you keep pointing out these amazing Indy developers, two does not a trend make. I can point out many more developers who are saying piracy is a big problem. And you still ignore that it would a negative that all blockbuster titles moved to consoles. Indy developers do not stay Indy developers if they make good games.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.Coyo7e

What I read from the linked articles did present the numbers you are presenting.

Wait I get it, they are just greedy. Those bastards, they want every penny from the product they are selling. How dare they.....

Piracy is a major problem on ALL platforms, even the DS. Piracy is currently costing Nintendo billions. OMG TEH HANDHELD INDUSTRY IS ON THE DECLINE.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibilty that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exaxt number from DD... The article state thatPC sales is no where near console and portable.

Cute_Red_Panda

That begs the question. Is PC sufficent being the state its in, or is it trying to achieve a bigger goal? I think developers want to do more, hence why they are moving to console. PC isn't booming (lol). It's just continue to be on life support. PC gamers as yourself are okay with that, but I don't think developers are happy about it.

You call a 12% growth, 30% of the entire industry, the most announced exclusives, and highly rated titles on life support? I guess that means the plug has already been pulled on consoles.
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Coyo7e
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Vylence"]

Actually I can, any game developer who payed for CD protection lost money to piracy, any game which has a CD key lost money to piracy.

And you keep pointing out these amazing Indy developers, two does not a trend make. I can point out many more developers who are saying piracy is a big problem. And you still ignore that it would a negative that all blockbuster titles moved to consoles. Indy developers do not stay Indy developers if they make good games.

Even the articles they are using to support their argument site massive piracy.

Give them credit, it is a special skill to ignore an elephant in the room.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Vandalvideo
Actually I can, any game developer who payed for CD protection lost money to piracy, any game which has a CD key lost money to piracy. And you keep pointing out these amazing Indy developers, two does not a trend make. I can point out many more developers who are saying piracy is a big problem. And you still ignore that it would a negative that all blockbuster titles moved to consoles. Indy developers do not stay Indy developers if they make good games.Vylence
They did so of their own volition. The pirates didn't force the hand of the developer. Piracy didn't cost the developers money, their fascination with DRM did. And besides, Witcher, SOASE, and STALKER, you know, the games we're talking about, don't even have much DRM. Point failed.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Vandalvideo
Even the articles they are using to support their argument site massive piracy. Give them credit, it is a special skill to ignore an elephant in the room.Coyo7e
http://www.digg.com/nintendo/R4_Chip_Costing_Nintendo_Millions_in_DS_Software_Sales R4 Chip costing nintendo billions. LAWL NINTENDO IS ON THE DECLINE.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 karasill
[QUOTE="VoodooGamer"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibilty that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exaxt number from DD... The article state thatPC sales is no where near console and portable.

Cute_Red_Panda

No sense in arguing with you. If you believe that then no amount of arguing of facts will make you think otherwise. Let's just ignore the massive sales of graphics cards (the driving force behind pc gaming). Let's just ignore that DFC states PC gaming will grow by about 280% by 2012. Let's just drop this argument and say console gaming is the way to go. :roll: Fanboys.....
Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Coyo7e
[QUOTE="Coyo7e"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.Vandalvideo

Piracy is a major problem on ALL platforms, even the DS. Piracy is currently costing Nintendo billions. OMG TEH HANDHELD INDUSTRY IS ON THE DECLINE.

You are blind if you can see the shift from PC dev's to consoles.

If you are happy getting console ports on your PC, then by all means, things are just wonderful...

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Cute_Red_Panda

[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.Vandalvideo

The misconception is to think the Mom that plays solitaire is the same as the jinx, addictive WOW player. Don't play the game of overall sales... We know they equate the Boss at work who plays hearts, and that Grandma who loves minesweep...

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Vandalvideo
You are blind if you can see the shift from PC dev's to consoles.If you are happy getting console ports on your PC, then by all means, things are just wonderful...Coyo7e
Console developers like Capcom are also shifting over to PCs. OH NOES TEH CONSOLE GAMING IS DIEING. The PC still has the most announced exclusives and highly rated titles.
V_Isle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 V_Isle
Member since 2006 • 1785 Posts

Do you know how easy it is to Mod a X360 or Wii?elbow2k

Umm, yeah, and it's nowhere near as simple as just running a torrent and just installing and playing the game...

The road of denial is a long and dangerous one.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.Cute_Red_Panda

The misconception is to think the Mom that plays solitaire is the same as the jinx, addictive WOW player. Don't play the game of overall sales... We know they equate the Boss at work who plays hearts, and that Grandma who loves minesweep...

I like your overgeneralization. Now prove that solitaire takes a large portion of that number. go on, prove it.
Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Cute_Red_Panda
[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"][QUOTE="VoodooGamer"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibilty that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exaxt number from DD... The article state thatPC sales is no where near console and portable.

Vandalvideo

You call a 12% growth, 30% of the entire industry, the most announced exclusives, and highly rated titles on life support? I guess that means the plug has already been pulled on consoles.

If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Vandalvideo
If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...Cute_Red_Panda
I have an idea. Why don't you try and find some evidence to make up your surreptitous claims? I've provided MOUNDS of evidence that shows that not only is the PC alive and kicking, but its the largest grossing platform of all.
Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Cute_Red_Panda
[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.Vandalvideo

I like your overgeneralization. Now prove that solitaire takes a large portion of that number. go on, prove it.

The point is they count them... So out of the 30% we really don't know how much of that is equated to Real PC games...

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Vandalvideo
The point is they count them... So out of the 30% we really don't know how much of that is equated to Real PC games...Cute_Red_Panda
Prove they count them. Sollitaire comes with PCs, its not bought.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 karasill
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"][QUOTE="VoodooGamer"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibilty that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exaxt number from DD... The article state thatPC sales is no where near console and portable.

Cute_Red_Panda

If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...

Devs are leaving?! This is new to me. Multiplat sure, but not leaving. Also, you do realize a few console only devs are shifting to PC gaming, right?
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]I see, but there is a possibility that PC gaming is on a decline, even without having the knowledge the exact number from DD... The article state that PC sales is no where near console and portable.Cute_Red_Panda

I think it's a bigger misconception that all Mom plays is solitare, especially when women make up the majority of online gamers (over 60%) thanks to games like WoW.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Noldorin2646

Cute_Red_Panda

I wouldn't worry about Epic or Gas Powered Games leaving at all until Blizzard or Valve does.

People said the exact same thing when Id blamed Doom 3's disappointment on Piracy. Guess that worked out for them didn't it?

Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts

Wrong. The # of PC gamers if affected by this. Minesweeper and solitare have nothing to do with the 30% of sales.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Coyo7e

[QUOTE="Coyo7e"]Even the articles they are using to support their argument site massive piracy. Give them credit, it is a special skill to ignore an elephant in the room.Vandalvideo
http://www.digg.com/nintendo/R4_Chip_Costing_Nintendo_Millions_in_DS_Software_Sales R4 Chip costing nintendo billions. LAWL NINTENDO IS ON THE DECLINE.

Deflection.

In the very article youuse to site PC gamings growth, in the very same sentence in witch they mention massive growth they also say "massive piracy".

Nobody is denying that piracy exists everywhere. I am sure NIntendo thinks it is a big problem.

But PC dev's are changing focus from PC's to consoles and I think that sucks. Because it is a big problem.

Keep running circles around all the facts and only use those that support your ideals.

The ideal that stealing is ok because people have always stolen games, and PC dev's are just greedy because they are already making a profit.

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Cute_Red_Panda

[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...Vandalvideo
I have an idea. Why don't you try and find some evidence to make up your surreptitous claims? I've provided MOUNDS of evidence that shows that not only is the PC alive and kicking, but its the largest grossing platform of all.

I have not one logical foundation of my claim except the departue of PC developers going to console. Honestly, that's all I really need. Your evidence is nothing more than rhetoric to pious PC gamers...

wok7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 wok7
Member since 2003 • 2034 Posts
Its just as bad as how Hermits want to kill the middle man, they want people to lose jobs just because they themselves are too lazy or afraid to leave their house.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Vandalvideo
Deflection. In the very article youuse to site PC gamings growth, in the very same sentence in witch they mention massive growth they also say "massive piracy Nobody is denying that piracy exists everywhere. I am sure NIntendo thinks it is a big problem. But PC dev's are changing focus from PC's to consoles and I think that sucks. Because it is a big problem.Keep running circles around all the facts and only use those that support your ideals.The ideal that stealing is ok because people have always stolen games, and PC dev's are just greedy because they are already making a profit.Coyo7e
The idea that I should buy rehashed crap is just as sinister as piracy. I was using hyperbole to prove a point, just because there is piracy on the PC doesn't neceessarily mean that its harming the PC gaming market. All of the indie developers that arem aking games are selling millions of copies in their first months, and the PC is grossing over 30% of the entire industry. So please tell me, how is the PC exactly hurting?
Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Noldorin2646

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...Cute_Red_Panda

I have not one logical foundation of my claim except the departue of PC developers going to console. Honestly, that's all I really need. Your evidence is nothing more than rhetoric to pious PC gamers...

These devs are leaving the PC because they failed at what they set out to do: giving an innovative product to PC gamers.

Coyo7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Coyo7e

[QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...Vandalvideo

The evidence you provide did as much to support the supposition that piracy is hurting as anything.

PC developers, people who make games for the PC, saying piracy sucks and why not just make console games, is pretty damn compelling evidence.

Find some recent quotes of PC dev's saying the opposite.

I would find the read interesting if you can find it.

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Cute_Red_Panda

Its just as bad as how Hermits want to kill the middle man, they want people to lose jobs just because they themselves are too lazy or afraid to leave their house.wok7

Your sig looks like you need to clean yours...

Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Cute_Red_Panda"]If what you say is true, then why developers continue to leave? Put 2 and 2 together Vandel...Cute_Red_Panda

The same reason DMC4 is on the 360. To get more of the market. But since devs are putting previous Sony console exclusives on other platforms then playstaion must be dieing. Also, WoW kinda disproves your theory.

Vylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Vylence

[QUOTE="Vylence"]Actually I can, any game developer who payed for CD protection lost money to piracy, any game which has a CD key lost money to piracy. And you keep pointing out these amazing Indy developers, two does not a trend make. I can point out many more developers who are saying piracy is a big problem. And you still ignore that it would a negative that all blockbuster titles moved to consoles. Indy developers do not stay Indy developers if they make good games.Vandalvideo
They did so of their own volition. The pirates didn't force the hand of the developer. Piracy didn't cost the developers money, their fascination with DRM did. And besides, Witcher, SOASE, and STALKER, you know, the games we're talking about, don't even have much DRM. Point failed.

If there is no piracy why would they put CD protection on their games? You defy logic.

Link. Witchers CD protection. And I do not se how you can say anthing about Sins since it just came out and we do not know what the sales will be like.