china only to have 20 million gamers.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dcm06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 dcm06
Member since 2005 • 2411 Posts

ok i found this on wikipedia.com

Although (financially) successful (with 8 million players), World of Warcraft has received its share of criticism. One of the most recent of these controversies had to do with Blizzard's treatment of a transgender player when she made a guild for other gay or gay-friendly players.[45]

World of Warcraft has also come under criticism for stories of game addictions to the popular video game. In June of 2005 it was reported that a child had died due to neglect by her World of Warcraft-addicted parents.[46] In August of that year, the government of the People's Republic of China proposed new rules to curb what they perceived to be social and financial costs brought on by the popularity of games such as World of Warcraft. The measure would enforce a time limit on China's estimated total of 20 million gamers.[47]

Dr. Maressa Orzack, a clinical psychologist at McLean Hospital in Newton, Massachusetts, was interviewed August 8, 2006, stating that of the 6 million subscribers "I'd say that 40 percent of the players are addicted."[48] Note that the 40 percent figure was not derived from a scientific study overseen by Dr. Orzack, but rather came from "a forum that Nick Yee runs". She added in an August 2006 interview that "even if the percentage is 5 to 10 percent which is standard for most addictive behaviors, it is a huge number of people who are out of control."[49] Also, according to Dr. John Grohol, a colleague of Orzack's, "Dr. Orzack is not claiming that up to 40% of World of Warcraft gamers are addicted based upon any actual evidence or surveys of players. This is just her opinion, based upon her own experience and observation of the problem."[50]

After Blizzard started offering free trial gameplay accounts, players started receiving increasing numbers of spam sent by bots in the virtual mailboxes of their characters, advertising virtual gold, honour, and experience selling services.[51] One study shows that this problem is particularly prevalent on the European realms.[52]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_warcraft

In August of that year, the government of the People's Republic of China proposed new rules to curb what they perceived to be social and financial costs brought on by the popularity of games such as World of Warcraft. The measure would enforce a time limit on China's estimated total of 20 million gamers

theres the 20 million gamers thing. am i getting that wrong or does that mean there can only be 20 million gamers in china? 

dcm06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dcm06
anyone know why or have heard about this is it true?
Raider4Life81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Raider4Life81
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts
More than I expected....id  say about 60 million in U.S.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Its hard to tell.

It may mean that all 20 million gamers that are in China will have an imposed time restriction. But it may also mean that the time restrictions may affect an estimated 20 million gamers of the total gaming population.

Could be either of those. 

Fat_jonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fat_jonny
Member since 2006 • 334 Posts
thats pretty good for a 3rd world country
dcm06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dcm06
thanks for the reply and well i have no clue what its for its crazy though if true. did anyone see that speed test thing i had for my sig? i had about 10 people pm me that it wasnt impressive. thats messed up 1st people fight over game systems next peeps are telling other peeps what connections are good and things. . not everyone can afford the best connections mine is good enough for me to play most games online so i enjoy my connection.
Infinatey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Infinatey
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts
lol wikipedia *vandalises*
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
china is a poor country for the most part, it can't be too many.
dcm06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dcm06
anymore opinions?
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
thats pretty good for a 3rd world countryFat_jonny
I think technically china is 2nd world.
Kaosed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kaosed
Member since 2006 • 3409 Posts
the wow comunity is to big to be true
toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
3rd world o.O Hardly.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
[QUOTE="Fat_jonny"]thats pretty good for a 3rd world countrytoxicmog
3rd world o.O Hardly.

like i saaid 2nd world. (by the origional definition of 1st 2nd and 3rd world. at least its what my crazy a** sociology professor said) 1st world = major capitalist country. 2nd world = major communist country. 3rd world = developing country.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
I don't think 1st, second and third world applies anymore nowadays. I'd say china is now catching up at an immense pace to the western world, and is now somewhere in the middle between the "3rd world" countries and the western world. In the future china may become a huge gaming market.
Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
[QUOTE="toxicmog"][QUOTE="Fat_jonny"]thats pretty good for a 3rd world countrylaughingman42
3rd world o.O Hardly.

like i saaid 2nd world. (by the origional definition of 1st 2nd and 3rd world. at least its what my crazy a** sociology professor said) 1st world = major capitalist country. 2nd world = major communist country. 3rd world = developing country.

China really isn't communist anymore- The government likes to pretend they are communist to stay in power, but their industry is completly capatilist now.
slick_gio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 slick_gio
Member since 2004 • 1523 Posts
As everyone else has allready pointed out, China is hardly a 3rd world country. Actually, China is an emerging super power and with the way the US keeps on borrowing money from them and the speed with which they are modernizing their country they will reach world super power status in no time.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts

It means there's 20 000 000 million gamers there, what else could it mean? It's a huge country, but socially and economically far different from USA, Japan and Europe...