Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1 Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 201 Posts

One of the reasons why I'll always remember this gen is due to it being good to our childhood memories. It brought back forgotten genres, franchises and game designs, and gave them a proper modern treatment they deserved.

Back to Glory
Back to Glory

It was a long time since we saw a good single player Star Wars game, especially the one that focused on melee combat like Jedi Academy. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order was one of the best Star Wars games. On other hand, after their financial struggle and rocky relation with Microsoft, Remedy finally broke free after Quantum Break and gave us their best shooter since Max Payne 2. It was challenging, had open ended design mixed with great story and decent gunplay.

Space Sim Galore
Space Sim Galore

Freespace 2 was the last AAA story driven space sim that came out in 1999. There were few games over the years here and there but none of em had budget, polish, simulation and presentation of past games. The entire genre disappeared. Felt like we'll never see sequels, spin offs or spiritual successors to the games like Wing Commander and X Wing vs Tie Fighter series. Who could've knows that both will make a big come back in 2020-21.

Forgotten RPGs
Forgotten RPGs

Felt like Baldur's Gate 2 came out in our previous lives. There was no hope for the sequel. Other issue was the budget needed for a proper follow up. Luckily concerns were put to rest when it was revealed that high budget sequel is in development at Larian Studios, one of the most beloved modern RPG developers. Couldn't have asked for something better. Then there is follow up to cult classic Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. Here's hoping it lives up to anticipation. And these aren't the only franchises on their way back, there is also System Shock among others.

Run and Gun
Run and Gun

New Half Life was most anticipated game in video game's history. While we didn't get the sequel to Half Life 2, we did get an ambitious prequel being praised by the critics and fans across the board. Half Life: Alyx is being described as the greatest VR game ever made, and one of the greatest PC games of recent history. Doom among other old school shooters like Shadow Warrior is back. And it's not COD's copy cat. Actually, as the title suggests, it features old school game design we loved back then but with modern touch.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24985 Posts

Didnot liked control and its nowhear near as good as Max payne. but i do agree this gen bring back many games or resemble old games in past

Doom and Doom Eternal = Early Doom

Prey = System shock 2

Cyberpunk 2077 = Deus Ex

Resident evil 7 - the best RE game

Hitman reboots = Bring back older Hitman titles.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46466 Posts

I really miss Max Payne. Control was a good shooter but its story, setting, narrative and characters are nowhere near the levels of Max Payne or Alan Wake.

But hey, at least RTS are making a return. Never understood how a genre that shifted millions and millions of copies was suddenly declared dead.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Max Payne is one of the most alpha franchises of all time. Control doesn't compare.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39270 Posts

Who said Squadron42 is for current gen? Who even said its for next gen? This game will be fully completed in 2042, it even says so in the title, and it will come out with Star Citizen side by side.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Rockstar needs to remake Max Payne 1 for next gen it could be amazing if done right.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

Rockstar needs to remake Max Payne 1 for next gen it could be amazing if done right.

They wont sadly. especially after GTA5 success.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@the_master_race said:

overrated and mediocre game.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Control was average. I cannot believe they came up with this sweet idea of a transforming gun and only allowed to toggle between two weapon types, completely ignoring the number row. Morons! The plot was weak. Too much reliance on the dreaded journals and shit that the west is so obsessed with.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56244 Posts

Obviously you folks here cannot appreciate Control like I do and it's still my top 10 games of 2019 I fully enjoy on PC and most of all, I love using Telekinesis powers more so then using my gun. Remedy did a fantastic job and I'd welcome a sequel. Control was so much fun then Quantum Break.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@davillain-: @Byshop gifted it to me and it's sitting in my backlog :-( I swear when P4G is done I'll do that and Dishonored 2.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58408 Posts

Even Evil Genius (Dungeon Keeper-style/god-game) is making a return!

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

The two weapon limit present in games like Control is part of the sharp decline of modern shooters. Except in Control it's even dumber because of the technology she has.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59100 Posts

If you're a CPRG fan these last few years have been golden.

At one point it was so bad we were tricked into thinking Dragon Age: Origins was good.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 286 Posts

When am I not primarily retro?

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cloud_Man

@hardwenzen said:

Who said Squadron42 is for current gen? Who even said its for next gen? This game will be fully completed in 2042, it even says so in the title, and it will come out with Star Citizen side by side.

No. It will launch earlier. It was always planned to launch early as standalone title. Final beta is planned for Q3 2020.

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cloud_Man
@the_master_race said:

Is it coming back or something?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

If you're a CPRG fan these last few years have been golden.

At one point it was so bad we were tricked into thinking Dragon Age: Origins was good.

during 2009 gaming in general was bad.

COD dominate FPS market that lead to many COD clones back then.

inclusion of 3 hour linear games with health regen and QTE were norm.