Charging for On-line Gameplay is ridiculous

• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts

[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]I've been playing pc games online for free my entire life. I started going online with consoles with the ps2, but hated having to create a separate log-in for each game. The ps3, however, has fixed that, and it suites my needs just fine. I'd much rather buy a new game every year than pay for the unnecessary features of XBL. Resistance online, along with the online of any RTS game on the pc, are great, and don't really need any extra features, and any features they could use are not worth near $50.

I guess it's really just a matter of opinion. Do you want to spend the money on games, or spend it on a slightly more streamlined online matchmaking system?alfy13

Don't knock it tll you've tried it, which you never will I suppose, so KNOCK AWAY!

xbl user to xbl user (you) what happens if Sony improves their service to almost match XBL and does it for not fee. waht happens then? what will be the excuse for MS charging me and you? All i see from you and ohter posters here saying xbl does this and th at. but if you compared xbl at 360 launch vs xbl now, your pretty much comparing psn to xbl now. so what im saying is, just because psn is slowlying improving does not mean they are at a wall and can not improve any more, just like MS can still continue to improve. but for the service that i have been getting for free, MS has not given me a reason why im being charged for by them.

Alot of console gamers who know nohting about pc online community will never understand, because they always been charged for using gold accounts. so they know nothing outside of what they are use to do doing. personally i dont care for paying for xbl, because i have no choice but to. but why i post is because of ppl like your self trying to tell me taht MS cant do xbl free and it must be charged. any how its hard for me to explain in english, but i hope you understand. and also im not trying to be rude ot you either, just japanese is my first languge so i get frustrated at times when i post in englih.

Sony can't afford to do something like that. I don't know why people don't understand the phrase "you get what you pay for". PSN is free with less content and less features. XBL is not free but has more content and more features. If PSN wants to be capable of doing what XBL is doing, then they would have to sacrifice something. It's the other way for XBL. I don't really see how PSN could start charging money, because they never sacrificed anything or made any profit from their service. You could call it milking, but what if XBL all of a sudden became free? The whole thing would completely pay off for the 360.
OMGTEHGRUKWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 OMGTEHGRUKWTF
Member since 2004 • 635 Posts

360 has free online also called silver. .rybe1025

Liar. Silver doesn't allow you to play games online.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#104 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

The Ps3 online is not nearly identical because not all games have online support. On the 360 everygame has to have online connectivity of some sort and that's why I don't mind paying 50 dollars a year.Sparky04

Agreed. There is another difference. With XBox Live you can play against people from all over the world. I'm talking about Australia, China, Europe and even Africa. With the PS3 Online service you can only play again people in your own country. $50 a year in nothing. That's like 14cents a day. MMORPG games cost much more then that a year. When developers decided not to continue online support for their 3yr old PS3 game, they'll pull the servers and that is that. That won't happen with XBox Live.

OMGTEHGRUKWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 OMGTEHGRUKWTF
In the gaming world, charging for online play is like charging for water. It's like a minimum expectation.
Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]While I don't agree with all your points, I'll defend to the death your right to say them.JohnWinger

I love Family Guy!!

wtf ?
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts
[QUOTE="alfy13"]

[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"]I've been playing pc games online for free my entire life. I started going online with consoles with the ps2, but hated having to create a separate log-in for each game. The ps3, however, has fixed that, and it suites my needs just fine. I'd much rather buy a new game every year than pay for the unnecessary features of XBL. Resistance online, along with the online of any RTS game on the pc, are great, and don't really need any extra features, and any features they could use are not worth near $50.

I guess it's really just a matter of opinion. Do you want to spend the money on games, or spend it on a slightly more streamlined online matchmaking system?TheDarkDisciple

Don't knock it tll you've tried it, which you never will I suppose, so KNOCK AWAY!

xbl user to xbl user (you) what happens if Sony improves their service to almost match XBL and does it for not fee. waht happens then? what will be the excuse for MS charging me and you? All i see from you and ohter posters here saying xbl does this and th at. but if you compared xbl at 360 launch vs xbl now, your pretty much comparing psn to xbl now. so what im saying is, just because psn is slowlying improving does not mean they are at a wall and can not improve any more, just like MS can still continue to improve. but for the service that i have been getting for free, MS has not given me a reason why im being charged for by them.

Alot of console gamers who know nohting about pc online community will never understand, because they always been charged for using gold accounts. so they know nothing outside of what they are use to do doing. personally i dont care for paying for xbl, because i have no choice but to. but why i post is because of ppl like your self trying to tell me taht MS cant do xbl free and it must be charged. any how its hard for me to explain in english, but i hope you understand. and also im not trying to be rude ot you either, just japanese is my first languge so i get frustrated at times when i post in englih.

Sony can't afford to do something like that. I don't know why people don't understand the phrase "you get what you pay for". PSN is free with less content and less features. XBL is not free but has more content and more features. If PSN wants to be capable of doing what XBL is doing, then they would have to sacrifice something. It's the other way for XBL. I don't really see how PSN could start charging money, because they never sacrificed anything or made any profit from their service. You could call it milking, but what if XBL all of a sudden became free? The whole thing would completely pay off for the 360.

so what your telling me is tihs. when i got my 360 at launch and signed up for xbl during launch period. it was not as good as xbl now, but i paid the same amount then as i am now. if you really think PSN or XBL will never improve over the next y ears or so then yah its pointless to even talk to you any more. because only thing you see is NOW . but im affraid to tell you, both 360 and ps3 are conosle made to improve via firmware or updates. but oh well guess you never thougth about that .
OMGTEHGRUKWTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 OMGTEHGRUKWTF
PC online is still better and still free. None of the online services can stand up to the original Battle.net.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 alfy13
PC online is still better and still free. None of the online services can stand up to the original Battle.net.OMGTEHGRUKWTF
lol thanks man, i think ill go home and install diablo 2. ahh the wonder times playing that game .
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 TheDarkDisciple

[QUOTE="TheDarkDisciple"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="TheDarkDisciple"][QUOTE="JohnWinger"]

[QUOTE="hummer700"]Xbox live offers many things that aren't available on PSN, and i strongly belive it is worth the $4.16 a month

If you cannot afford roughly $5 a month, then you shouldn't be playing video games, you have larger issues to handle.JohnWinger

Its not the idea of $50 being too much money. That's not my argument, but if you feel its okay for companys to keep throwing in miscellaneous charges here and there and screwing you over, then you win.

how is offering more features screwing us over?

Because you can't play online at all without paying for these extra features? Isn't this the same argument used against the ps3? They force you to buy Blu-Ray instead of giving you a "choice" like MS?

It depends how you look at it. I don't think $4 a month is a big deal, as it pays for your online play, the free content including demos trailers gamer pics, voice chats and all kinds of small features to ENHANCE gameplay; this is what next-gen is all about! Now you might argue that Blu-ray is better but i believe it is completely unneccessary. It is essentially why the ps3 is so expensive, and then add to that the price of blu-ray dvds. It might be next-gen but it's just too much.

Everything you decribe to back up your argument is completely WRONG.

Gamerpics, voice chat, demos, trailers, movies, etc, etc.

All that is already free.

Microsoft wants $50 a year solely for ON-LINE GAMEPLAY. Which is BULL. On-line Gameplay has been free for years. Who is Microsoft to rip people off?

Don't even post unless you have an IQ higher than George Bush.

Have you even played XBL? Just give me an honest answer because i seriously doubt that you have. If not STFU before you start flaming me and insulting my intelligence.

If you are talking about silver having all of those things free then you are WRONG.

They do NOT have the same access access when it comes to free content, because they do not get all of the content that gold users do, and if they do, they have to wait longer.

They do NOT have the same access regarding voice chats and friends list management.

And they do NOT have any access to multiplayer or any of the features that come with it.

PSN or people with a Wii sure as hell don't have as much as XBL either.

Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts
[QUOTE="OMGTEHGRUKWTF"]PC online is still better and still free. None of the online services can stand up to the original Battle.net.alfy13
lol thanks man, i think ill go home and install diablo 2. ahh the wonder times playing that game .

yea. and people all over the world are still playing that game. for FREE.
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
[QUOTE="OMGTEHGRUKWTF"]PC online is still better and still free. None of the online services can stand up to the original Battle.net.alfy13

I think Ill go play starcraft myself.
xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#113 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts

On-line gaming has been free for many years on the PC, PS2, etc.

The Internet backbone as we've known it has been paid for about 1,000,000 times over with customers from around the world paying for monthly Internet bills.

So why is it that Microsoft has the conceit to put up toll booths on then Internet backbone and charge for On-line play?

If there was a real good reason such as Quality of Service, then it would be quite understandable, but that it not the case.

Most of the games on Xbox Live have lag issues.

PlayStation 3's On-line is nearly identical, but it's free.

Microsoft is the only company that wants the milk the people for all its worth.

I'm not a fanboy. I love all the consoles. The 360 is still a great console with good games. I just think there is no reason to charge $50 a year for Xbox Live Gold.

It just goes to show you how low Microsoft will go.

JohnWinger
Well theres like 3 million people willing to pay for Gold and growing.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 alfy13
[QUOTE="alfy13"][QUOTE="OMGTEHGRUKWTF"]PC online is still better and still free. None of the online services can stand up to the original Battle.net.cobrax25

I think Ill go play starcraft myself.

lol now that is what i need to reinstall when i get home.t hanks for the reminder. i cant belive i forgot about SC :(
philhilluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 philhilluk
Member since 2004 • 1007 Posts

The day the xbox live service becomes free is the last day I will ever use it.

I can get nasty free online services anywhere on the PC or PS3 but I shouldn't have to put up with it on the 360.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 cobrax25

I can get nasty free online services anywhere on the PC or PS3 but I shouldn't have to put up with it on the 360.

philhilluk
thats funny, since the PC version of XBL is free..... oh and PC online>Console online.
rappid_rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 rappid_rabbit
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
[QUOTE="hummer700"]Xbox live offers many things that aren't available on PSN, and i strongly belive it is worth the $4.16 a month If you cannot afford roughly $5 a month, then you shouldn't be playing video games, you have larger issues to handle.

Exactly... You cant afford what? 0.16 a day? I make a lot more than, staring at the ceiling at work for a good minute...
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#118 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
Indeed, why should they set up servers to allow you to download demos and free trials/full versions of arcade games every week, and expect me to PAY!? Oh wait, that's free. Ok... how can they set up their own servers and let me video-call any of my friends as and when i please and expect me to pay for it - scandalous! Oh wait, that's free to! Ok then... how dare they set up a unified infastructure for online games which tracks one identity through every single game - how DARE they expect me to PAY for a service they provide me. And the cost of one game for an entire year? SCANDALOUS! :roll: Oh and, actually buy a 360 before you talk nonsense like "most games have lag issues". Unless you're on half-a-meg broadband, no game has "lag issues". If you experience lag on xbox live, it's your poor connection. Simple as that.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="JohnWinger"]

The Internet backbone as we've known it has been paid for about 1,000,000 times over with customers from around the world paying for monthly Internet bills.

So why is it that Microsoft has the conceit to put up toll booths on then Internet backbone and charge for On-line play?

If there was a real good reason such as Quality of Service, then it would be quite understandable, but that it not the case.

I'm not a fanboy. I love all the consoles. The 360 is still a great console with good games. I just think there is no reason to charge $50 a year for Xbox Live Gold.

xXHackettXx
Well theres like 3 million people willing to pay for Gold and growing.

Six million.
philhilluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 philhilluk
Member since 2004 • 1007 Posts
[QUOTE="philhilluk"]

cobrax25

thats funny, since the PC version of XBL is free.....

oh and PC online>Console online.

lol - I really hope you are not being serious

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Ninja-Vox

[QUOTE="rybe1025"]360 has free online also called silver. .OMGTEHGRUKWTF

Liar. Silver doesn't allow you to play games online.

He's not a liar. It allows you to have access to a huge dirth of internet content for free. :| Just because you cant play games doesn't make it non-existant.
sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#122 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

If there was a real good reason such as Quality of Service, then it would be quite understandable, but that it not the case.

JohnWinger

I will say this.  The PSN is not identical to live.  Xbox Live is one dedicated network.  Developers don't have to pay to run servers cause they can just use Xbox Live's servers.  On PSN developers have to run their own servers and they are paying sony to run their own servers on PSN.  That also could mean that developers could charge us their own price to play their game online.  Developers don't pay microsoft for using Xbox Live servers cause the consumers are paying microsoft for the Live service. Lag on Xbox live could be from numerous things such as you having a bad internet connection or other people in a game with bad connections. 

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 cobrax25
[QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="philhilluk"]

philhilluk

how many players did the 360 version of COD2 have online? because the PC version had 64.....
caje47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 caje47
Member since 2005 • 2298 Posts

when you learn how to spell "rediculous" i will take you serious.

phybaoptikz

When you learn to capitalize I will take you seriously. 

oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts
games like WoW need the 15 a month
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 TheDarkDisciple

philhilluk
/thread
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts
$50 a year isn't that bad...MMORPG's cost $180 or so a year.kittykatz5k
Keep telling yourself that, buddy. Why paid for something you can get for free. well, if you don't mind being milked, then it is fine too.
creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts
I love how you mention you are a fan of the 360 but say that live is identical to psn...that right that tells me you have never used live.
Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Ninja-Vox
[QUOTE="philhilluk"][QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="philhilluk"]

cobrax25

how many players did the 360 version of COD2 have online? because the PC version had 64.....

How many players did black hawk down have on the xbox, years ago? 50? Does that mean anything? No. It's one game. So what's your point, again?
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 cobrax25
[QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="philhilluk"][QUOTE="cobrax25"][QUOTE="philhilluk"]

Ninja-Vox

how many players did the 360 version of COD2 have online?

because the PC version had 64.....

How many players did black hawk down have on the xbox, years ago? 50? Does that mean anything? No. It's one game. So what's your point, again?

Its not one PC game that has 64 players online...Its dozens and dozens.....

and Black hawk down was laggy crap.

and if you want to know the highest....Joint Ops, was at 150 players online.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#131 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts
[QUOTE="donalbane"]

If there was a real good reason such as Quality of Service, then it would be quite understandable.

The main thing Microsoft's system has over Sony's is the fact that the guide button allows you to bring up friends lists whenever you like, see what your pals are playing, and chat with them no matter what they're doing, and all of this can be accomplshed without exiting whichever app you are running. (I wont even go into the ability to access custom soundtracks no matter what you're doing, or the fact that you can stream your music from your computer's sizable hard drive without copying over a single megabyte to your console.)

Furthermore, there are 3 levels of screening out obnoxious people: The Zone system, the Feedback system, and the Reputation system. Thanks to these marvelous features, I play with a greater percentage of like-minded players than any online service I have ever used, and I come from the PC gaming world which was in fact free, but inferior to Live in all other respects.

The service is of a higher quality. You would know this if you had a Live account and a 360, which I'm assuming you don't because you make ridiculous claims like "PlayStation 3's On-line is nearly identical,"which it's most certainly not, and "most of the games on Xbox Live have lag issues," which is another falshood. Have you played 'most of the games?.' I have, and aside from the occasional slowdown (typically resulting from a player with a crappy broadband connection,) there are practically no problems.

The Live vs PSN paradigm is much like the difference between honest to goodness TiVo and the PVR services offered by cable companies. Sure the cable companies offer you the ability to record shows, but for a fee TiVo adapts to your preferences and recommends shows based on an elaborate feedback system. TiVo service costs money ($13/month,) but is superior in most respects, and you never hear about disatisfied TiVo users. Just like I can tell you don't have Live... if you did, you'd have nothing but nice things to say about it. You may have had Live back in the Xbox days, and are basing these statements off of those experiences, you should know that when the 360 launched, Live got dramatically better.

Everyone wishes the things we want were free. If Sony can deliver the same service free of charge, they should, but until they do, their service has to be free because nobody in their right mind would pay money for it's limited feature set.

VoodooHak

To add to that....

Building an infrastructure where the community can regulate itself is great. But in the offchance we need extra moderation, we know for sure that there are people actively monitoring feedback. One thing not specifically stated is the matchmaking system that uses rep, zone and ignore/prefer status to match you up.

We also know that XBL is a closed, secure network that actively checks for modded consoles.

Also consider XBL's connectivity to the web. I like being able to log into my account on xbox.com to check my messages and see what my friends are up to.

I like that MS has resources whose job is to specifically connect with the community. Major Nelson, Trixie... and the support they give to fan sites.

With all that, the fee is well justified

Quoting for those that say PSN offers everything XBL does, but for free.  Convenient of you to ignore this.

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts

not bashing, (ok maybe i am )

but 5 years of xbl is $250.00. owie.

shaggymcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 shaggymcp
Member since 2003 • 2896 Posts

After playing RFOM and Motorstorm online and as of now, I have yet to have a problem with the online service........  I will not be renewing my XBL account, XBL for PC is just dumb, and XBL is a rip off as far as I am concerned.   

PSN provides online for free, just like PC and its awesome.  Basically any multi plat game I will be getting on the PS3 just cause the free online.  And MS will have to have some pretty amazing first party titles to get me to spend $50.00 a year on XBL, and before some 360 fanboy starts posting lists of games, I already know whats coming.....

TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 TheDarkDisciple

After playing RFOM and Motorstorm online and as of now, I have yet to have a problem with the online service........  I will not be renewing my XBL account, XBL for PC is just dumb, and XBL is a rip off as far as I am concerned.   

PSN provides online for free, just like PC and its awesome.  Basically any multi plat game I will be getting on the PS3 just cause the free online.  And MS will have to have some pretty amazing first party titles to get me to spend $50.00 a year on XBL, and before some 360 fanboy starts posting lists of games, I already know whats coming.....

shaggymcp
sorry to hear that. I've never heard anyone complain about XBL, unless they were cows. Maybe you'll come back once you find out that the ps3 wont have any amazing first party titles
Sailor_Enlil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Sailor_Enlil
Member since 2003 • 1552 Posts
[QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"][QUOTE="makingmusic476"][QUOTE="Sailor_Enlil"][QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

[QUOTE="dhjohns"]
First off, sorry for the double post, computer problem. :P But my friends list I control therefore I control who enters my voice chats. Not trying to argue, just saying I think technically the computer can do it all but it is not nearly as unified or the ease of use like the XBLmakingmusic476

To the bold text, not during gameplay. It's either turn off chat or listen to chat. Also, using MSN, AIM, Yahoo, Xfire or any of that is not difficult at all. Just about everybody who owns a PC/cellphone owns an account to an IM service. Just a matter of downloading the program and installing it, which is beyond stupid easy to do.

You're giving too much credit to XBL and very little credit to PC services.

Applicable only to the elite hacker/power user/sysad type of people. For the average joe consumer who wants to manipulate their system with nothing more than a TV remote or similarly simple device (eg game controller), all that stuff is considered rocket science.

You give the average joe far too little credit. Also, if someone was that apthetic towards technology, chances are they won't have their consoles hooked up to the internet at all. How many causals do you think pay for XBL?

So how do you define those people who don't game on their PC's (or even consoles) but spend tons of money in arcade centers playing the games there (eg games like Initial D, Midnight R, Drum Maniacs, DDR, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, etc)?

What about them? I think that's really a non-issue. I mean, in the US, the arcade scene is mostly dead, and the few that still go to arcades are either hardcare fanatics of games like Tekken, or else they are just common people playing games while waiting to get into a movie. This is hardly any stable demographic that you can base, well, just about anything on. In Japan, however, the arcade scene is alive and well, and consists primarily of hardcore gamers, who would have no qualms about setting up elaborate online systems.

How about in South East Asia? Arcade centers are booming here (and they're constantly packed, not to mention in every major shopping mall), especially thanks to the development of reloadable swipe cards in place of the traditional coin-op system, like this one: http://www.timezone.com  (I have like 6 of those cards)
NinjaFoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 NinjaFoot
Member since 2004 • 932 Posts

JohnWinger

All I can say is thet you get what you pay for. You want it free and you end up with the random mishmash that is Sony's online plan. Personally, I find it very well worth $4 a month for all that Xbox Live offers. Some people are just cheapskates. And as for your quote about the Ps3's online being nearly identical, all I can say is ROTFLMAO. And I have no lag problems on xbox live unless someone is hosting a game with a crappy connection. Maybe you should upgrade your connection if it lags that much.
NinjaFoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 NinjaFoot
Member since 2004 • 932 Posts

not bashing, (ok maybe i am )

but 5 years of xbl is $250.00. owie.

out0v0rder

It also averages out to barely over $4 a month. You spend way more than that on soda probably. Paying for an Xbox live account to play pc games does seem silly to me though.
rpg9000owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 rpg9000owner
Member since 2006 • 1859 Posts
All the features XBL boasts are available on the PC so I think, however I have never owned XBL so I cannot really talk on the matter.
_koolgirl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 _koolgirl_
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts

Nothing is free, it's just a matter of WHO is paying for it.

A PC service like XFire is fully funded by advertisers.

It's the same reason why network television like ABC, NBC are "free", while premium stations like HBO and Showtime charge you.

Personally I prefer to keep XBL ad free.  While I do realise they occasionally throw a few ads up for upcoming movies, they are alsways accompanied by free gamer pics/themes related to that movie. 

silverjiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 silverjiken
Member since 2005 • 2162 Posts

XBL rocks, its worth every cent, even if there is nothing good to play for 6 months

2FacedJanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 2FacedJanus
Member since 2004 • 8236 Posts
It's different really, microsoft charges because they have a network set up that allows people to connect to eachother on games etc. This way, developers and publishers don't have to set up their own servers, because of that, you get more games with online play. And it shows, look at the previous console generation, which console had the most games with online play? The xbox...
Iron-Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#142 Iron-Dragon
Member since 2004 • 12461 Posts

what my silly fellow pc gamers dont realize is that the free online games are not really all that free

enjoy playing cs? guess who pays for the servers? clans, people like you and me

enjoy wow? guess who pays for the servers? blizzard does, therefore you get smacked with a monthly charge

so basically if youre not paying a monthly/yearly fee then you have to pay for the servers yourself, either way you have to pay 

microsoft has to host all the xbox live **** therefore you get charged~

solidte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 solidte
Member since 2005 • 3616 Posts
I agree that services like XBL should be free but that's how MS wants it, so you either pay or you don't.
Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#144 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

[QUOTE="hummer700"]Xbox live offers many things that aren't available on PSN, and i strongly belive it is worth the $4.16 a month

If you cannot afford roughly $5 a month, then you shouldn't be playing video games, you have larger issues to handle.JohnWinger

Its not the idea of $50 being too much money. That's not my argument, but if you feel its okay for companys to keep throwing in miscellaneous charges here and there and screwing you over, then you win.

This is it right there ^

This is the whole point of being anti-Microsoft IMHO.  They are trying to control the video game/entertainment scene and if they eventually do, people will be fleeced with an inferior product.

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts

Time for fact spam.....

Xbox + 5 years of online gaming = $649.99
PS3 + 5 years of online gaming = $599.99

Not that I care about prices of stuff, but hey, at the the end of a generation youll SAVE money with the PS3.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts
You get what you pay for. A simple answer to an overused argument.
alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 alfy13
so it takes MS 300000000 dollars to run servers at MS expense? sounds like we are being charge to cover the production of add ons that are not being bought.
Avatar image for EmperorMetalman
EmperorMetalman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 EmperorMetalman
Member since 2006 • 1832 Posts

Charging 11 dollars for batteries is rediculous.

XBL can charge you, I mean MS is a company and they need to make profit somewhere. Yeah it's better for it to be free, but what are you gonna do? Well...besides complain about it.

88Ghost89

They make billions off thier Windows monopoly. 

latinodemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 latinodemon
Member since 2005 • 155 Posts

That's why I buy the prepaid card at best buy, 60$ every 12 months ain't a back breaker for the best online service available.

Oni_Ookami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#150 Oni_Ookami
Member since 2005 • 2765 Posts

Here we go again. Another person that is cheap and does not know what the hell he's talking about.

I don't know if you noticed, but most of the multi platform games that came out for both consoles, PS3 had no online, but MS 360 did..

So I rather pay what, 4.19 a month for the best online game play.

dapmediainc

Agreed. I have XBL and play WOW and im a student, neither monthly fee is that bad and anyone with a part-time job shouldent have any problem at all financing what they enjoy. if you dont like paying for online service then uh dont pay and dont play...we dont need to hear about your views on the subject because its nothing new.Â