CD Projekt RED: more than 400 people are working on Cyberpunk 2077. King is on its way.

• 66 results
OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

If you were worried about Cyberpunk 2077 after having heard that CD Projekt RED’s story designer has left the team, rest assured - everything is fine.

Last week there was a reshuffle in the digital entertainment industry. Sebastian Stepien, who worked for over 12 years at CD Projekt RED, moved to California, where he became Creative Director at Blizzard Entertainment. Stepien was one of the key figures in the team working on the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077, so his departure raised a lot of questions about the future of the game. Fortunately, as reported by StockWatch (in Polish), the work on the title is in full swing. The team working on the game consists of over 400 people – such information was provided by Karolina Gnas from CD Projekt’s investor relations department.

This number of people involved in the development seems impressive (especially since we are considering only full-time employees). In August last year the team consisted of 300-350 people. Since then, the company has managed to expand by a branch in Wroclaw. It is worth mentioning that at the peak of work on the third part of The Witcher, the title was supervised by "only" 250 people. This did not prevent the production from winning many industry awards.

Last week was a great time for CD Projekt. The company's shares have increased by over 9% in five days, and the group's capitalization currently equals to PLN 18 billion ($4.8 billion).Cyberpunk 2077 is clearly conducive to the company's interests. If CD Projekt RED meets the expectations of players, the company has a chance to stay among the giants of digital entertainment, such as Rockstar or the aforementioned Blizzard.

https://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=2249

Paul Chadeisson, concept artist for Blade Runner 2049 is working as a freelance artist on Cyberpunk!

Just a random room within CDPR's HQ in Warsaw...
Just a random room within CDPR's HQ in Warsaw...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

One of my most hyped games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

When I hear there are 400 people working on a game my hype level goes to the basement.

I hope it's a great game though...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

This will most likely be my GOTY I haven't loved a setting in a game this much since the original Mirror's Edge.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@TheEroica said:

When I hear there are 400 people working on a game my hype level goes to the basement.

Why?

The Witcher 3 was a great game and had a big team too. So do other big games like RDR2 and GTA.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

this game is by far my most hyped game of the entire generation. Though I did wish they just scrapped the Xbox One and PS4 versions of this game and just move the game to next generation all together. It seems like Anthem also needed to do this. After playing the public demo, I was left very impressed with Anthem but much of this game seems forced to fit even on the Xbox One X; Shadow pop in 2 meters infront of you, The Marketplace feels stiff and is underdeveloped compared to the rest of the game, framerates can hit till 15fps or less, and what the FK!? Loading screens during combat -_-, that's absolutely unacceptable for this type of game. These potato potatoe Jaguar CPU's have been holding back gaming for some time now, but no developer wants to leave leaching that phat ps4/xbox one install-base. LOADING SCREENS DURING THE FUCKING COMBAT OF 1 MINUTE LONG WHAT THE ACTUAL FK!?????

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Hold on, it's going to come soon. Relax everyone it will come. Soon.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7181 Posts

Looking forward to this think I might need an X to play this. I dread to think how this will run on the S.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24847 Posts

its been overhyped.

CDPR sure are consumer friendly but they cant make decent gameplay.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

its been overhyped.

Have you actually played one of their game or only watched videos?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@MonsieurX said:
@ghosts4ever said:

its been overhyped.

played witcher 1 for few hours - trash

played witcher 2 and its ok with nice lore and bad combat. althought controlling wise its best.

played witcher 3 and its boring open world talking simulator where you have to watch half hour they are talking and then engage in worst combat.

watching cyberpunk and it looks best CDPR game. but even with that. the gameplay looks average at best. and too much nudity and romance also turn me off.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@MonsieurX said:
@ghosts4ever said:

its been overhyped.

played witcher 2 and its ok with nice lore and bad combat. althought controlling wise its best.

played witcher 3 and its boring open world talking simulator where you have to watch half hour they are talking and then engage in worst combat.

watching cyberpunk and it looks best CDPR game. but even with that. the gameplay looks average at best. and too much nudity and romance also turn me off.

So I get it, you never played them.

read ghost4ever opinion - trash

Davidbottner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Davidbottner
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

Sure, but why?

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts
Loading Video...

CDPR also made the trailer in Chinese. This game is going to be a hit.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@vaeh: Guess that means it's not going to be an Epic store exclusive then ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

its been overhyped.

At least they dropped third person view, which is a big reason Witcher 3 played so poorly. Third person view can be awesome, but CDPR and Rockstar are just bad at using it. Cyberpunk's world looks cool. It truly looks punk.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vaeh
@GarGx1 said:

CDPR confirms Cyberpunk 2077 will be available on Steam. They can publish Cyberpunk anywhere they want as long as it's available on GoG.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Looks too much like an rpg.

Easy pass here.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

If this is Epic Store exclusive im out just saying that right now. If its epic exclusive you could have 1000 people working on it I don't give a shit im not buying it. Epic Store = Me Out

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever

@ezekiel43 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

its been overhyped.

At least they dropped third person view, which is a big reason Witcher 3 played so poorly. Third person view can be awesome, but CDPR and Rockstar are just bad at using it. Cyberpunk's world looks cool. It truly looks punk.

they need to drop sex scenes and nudity. its a video game and i dont need to engage in that kind of material.

focus on level design.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 975 Posts

The Batman Arkham games only had about 100 - 200 people working on them and they turned out great.

I enjoyed all the 3 Witcher games and I have no reason to think this game will tank.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

its been overhyped.

they need to drop sex scenes and nudity. its a video game and i dont need to engage in that kind of material.

focus on level design.

I think it should be up to the player in this kind of role-playing game. If I want to be a sexually active bisexual lady who occasionally uses my partners for information, let me. I probably don't have to worry about STDs with my machine body.

OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:

If this is Epic Store exclusive im out just saying that right now. If its epic exclusive you could have 1000 people working on it I don't give a shit im not buying it. Epic Store = Me Out

Why would they not release it on their own store?

@vaeh said:
@GarGx1 said:

CDPR confirms Cyberpunk 2077 will be available on Steam. They can publish Cyberpunk anywhere they want as long as it's available on GoG.

I'll buy it on GoG anyway, but giving consumers a choice in what store/ecosystem they want to buy their games is great!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@ezekiel43 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

its been overhyped.

focus on level design.

I think it should be up to the player in this kind of role-playing game. If I want to be a sexually active bisexual lady who occasionally uses my partners for information, let me. I probably don't have to worry about STDs with my machine body.

i dont want any kind of sexuality in games. it should be all about good level design like original deus ex was.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@ProtossRushX: GoG = CDPR.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@fedor said:

@ProtossRushX: GoG = CDPR.

oh sweet I hope its a GoG/Steam release GoG is nice too a nice little small friendly shop

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#27 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@oliversnyders:

I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those games that only appeal to a few people. Like Destiny. Looks cool though and I might check it out when it goes on a sale but.....I don't think I wanna risk the $60 price tag.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

This game has to do well or CDPR will be downsizing quite a bit. It will of course, do well, providing the gameplay is at least ok. People need reasons for their hardware investments.

I just think they have no bravery as a developer.

They will pander to the lowest common denominator all day long.

If the stories are stupid and annoying I won't make any difference because their customer base don't exactly care about high literature.

I just wish CDPR could dare to tackle challenging or thought provoking subjects a bit. It seems to be the apt thing to do, given the type of game they make. That is, a realistic approach to art style and expansive environments with thousands of npc's.

They are never going to be an epic dev the likes of Blizzard if they just don't have the maturity to raise their game high above all the rest.

I feel they may have overhyped at this point.

Personally, I have no interest in the visual style of films like Blade Runner remake or modern Tron, Avatar, new Star Wars films. Everything is sterile. In short. there are next to no rough or dirty textures to be seen.

I want to see a leap in gaming from CDPR because they have the money and resources but they also need the intelligence, that is a good team of hands on experienced managers. Also clear vision.

Remaking Shadowrun should work. Remaking TW3 probably wouldn't.

I want smokey, dirty cities and a range of characters. I fear all the characters will be sh*t boring steroetypes and unbearably narcisistic.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

DAY ONE!

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

And Micorosoft invested 1 billion into Xbox One "exclusive" titles.

https://gamerant.com/microsoft-investing-one-billion-dollars-xbox-one-games/

How did that turn out?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58644 Posts
@jackamomo said:

This game has to do well or CDPR will be downsizing quite a bit.

I just think they have no bravery as a developer.

They will pander to the lowest common denominator all day long.

If the stories are stupid and annoying I won't make any difference because their customer base don't exactly care about high literature.

I just wish CDPR could dare to tackle challenging or thought provoking subjects a bit. It seems to be the apt thing to do, given the type of game they make. That is, a realistic approach to art style and expansive environments with thousands of npc's.

They are never going to be an epic dev the likes of Blizzard if they just don't have the maturity to raise their game high above all the rest.

I feel they may have overhyped at this point.

Personally, I have no interest in the visual style of films like Blade Runner remake or modern Tron, Avatar, new Star Wars films. Everything is sterile. In short. there are next to no rough or dirty textures to be seen.

I want to see a leap in gaming from CDPR because they have the money and resources but they also need the intelligence, that is a good team of hands on experienced managers.

I want smokey, dirty cities and a range of characters. I fear all the characters will be sh*t boring steroetypes and ubearbably narccisictic.

I donno if you've seen blade runner, but it's a very rough and dirty movie. The streets are overcrowded with pollution, most of the buildings have a rustic dark deco appearance. The only building that has a crystal clean dentist feel is Tyrell Corporation.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Well the gameplay they showed a few months back was very disappointing. If thats what the game will be like then ill be giving it a miss.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BoxRekt

@uninspiredcup:

While true I get what he's saying. I also hate those futuristic worlds that have the overly polished look.

To date I think the best futuristic world that gives off an authentic gritty and dirty feel is Killzone 2. I dont think there's been a better representation of what he's describing than this.

In comparison Killzone Shadow Fall is similar to what Cyberpunk 2077 is showing.

yeah you see some litter here and there but it just comes of as window dressing to an otherwise sterile and generic world.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@jackamomo: That Chinese YT video showed the world pretty dirty looking. I'm not sure about the characters. But, the world looked ghetto enough to me.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vaeh

@oliversnyders: Respected developer for a reason. Day 1 buy on GoG.

@davidbottner said:

Sure, but why?

lol you need a new account to ask this shit. The fear of CDPR is real.

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@oliversnyders:

I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those games that only appeal to a few people. Like Destiny. Looks cool though and I might check it out when it goes on a sale but.....I don't think I wanna risk the $60 price tag.

Blade Runner, Deus Ex, Mirror's Edge, Witcher, Crysis, Watch Dogs, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Prey 2, GTA etc → Cyperpunk 2077

You came up with Destiny lol. Better don't buy it. I have a feeling that you're a Sony cow.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

@oliversnyders said:

Last week there was a reshuffle in the digital entertainment industry. Sebastian Stepien, who worked for over 12 years at CD Projekt RED, moved to California, where he became Creative Director at Blizzard Entertainment. Stepien was one of the key figures in the team working on the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077

Paul Chadeisson, concept artist for Blade Runner 2049 is working as a freelance artist on Cyberpunk!

Good for Blizzard! I hope this means we can expect some good, story-driven games from them in the future. And good for Stepien for getting the hell out of Poland and moving to awesome, amazing California :D

I am sure his work was pretty much done there as it is, anyway; can't imagine working for a place 12 years and then leaving mid-project (or before my job was done).

@R4gn4r0k said:

One of my most hyped games.

Same! It can be half as good as the Witcher games and still be incredible.

@TheEroica said:

That was my initial feeling ("400 people? And this is a good thing?!" was my actual thought, more or less) as well, but relative to "AAA" gaming in general, that is still an incredibly small staff. I am willing to bet that number also includes contract workers, temp workers, interns, and the like as well, not just core staff.

Do you ever watch the credits for something like an EA game or a Ubisoft game? There are THOUSANDS working on those games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

@boxrekt: concerning cleanliness: they have armies of tiny robots to clean up everything.

There. Problem solved. That's why things look so clean :D

And, I don't know man, these don't look all that sterile to me. That's a lot of graffiti, a lot of dirt, a lot of cracked concrete, and a lot of debris on the ground

I think if you're looking for a gritty tech-noir game world to play in, you found it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@boxrekt said:

While true I get what he's saying. I also hate those futuristic worlds that have the overly polished look.

To date I think the best futuristic world that gives off an authentic gritty and dirty feel is Killzone 2. I dont think there's been a better representation of what he's describing than this.

yeah you seem some litter here and there but it just comes of as window dressing to an otherwise sterile world.

Those KZ2 screenies look sterile when compared to say, Fallout 4. looks 3rd-worldish, but still clean.

Edit: You're probably better off showing KZ3 screenies instead. Still the KZ games were war zones to begin with. They don't look futuristic at all.

Even Hard Reset has a grittier, dirty look. Trash and debris does a lot to give that look.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vaeh

That's how you sell video games on PC. CDPR is love. GoG is life.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ghosts4ever

@pelvist said:

Well the gameplay they showed a few months back was very disappointing. If thats what the game will be like then ill be giving it a miss.

exactly. it was just open world game with scripted set piece here and there and very disappointing car chase.

if CDPR name was not attach. no one care about it.

Deus Ex HR impressed me back in 2011 but not this today.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

Cool. I’m very hyped for this game. What they’ve shown on it so far looks awesome.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@MonsieurX said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@MonsieurX said:
@ghosts4ever said:

its been overhyped.

So I get it, you never played them.

read ghost4ever opinion - trash

The combat in the witcher games isn't for everyone.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: I think Killzone seems too cluttered for a cyberpunk game. But it is a Killzone so makes sense.

It is the choice of colour that is also a modern trend which is neon. Original Blade Runner has neon, but it doesn't rely on it for overall colourisation. It's mostly orange and black. New Blade Runner uses much higher contrast and less subtle tones.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Also heavy use of bloom in CyberPunk creates a sun baked effect which is similar to Mirror's Edge. But really it should be raining, all the time.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@jackamomo:

You mean the Hard Reset screenshots? Blame that on the low FOV (plus, I'm looking up at many of the screenshots). There's no FOV adjust. I changed a couple of the screenshots to reflect more of that neon look plus some more here.

Better subtle than garish to the point of not being able to play the game.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BoxRekt

@jun_aka_pekto: Never played Hard Rest, yeah that looks real nice. I might check that out on underused PC :P

But no, Killzone 2 is the game I am thinking of. Killzone has always been better shown in video.

Loading Video...

This is the type of atmosphere that draws you in. Nothing quite like it this generation.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@boxrekt said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Never played Hard Rest, yeah that looks real nice. I might check that out on underused PC :P

It's an old 2009(?) PC game. But, I think it's on PS4 now. I haven't updated mine in a while. But, I think the newest version added a katana sword. I prefer particle and projectile weapons.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

Looks too much like an rpg.

Easy pass here.

Yeah, why would CDProject Red make a RPG!?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19550 Posts

@jackamomo: Wait, did you just say that CDPR produces lowest-common-denominator games with stupid, immature storylines...and praise *Blizzard* at the same time? Huh.

Anyway, wake me up when Blizzard makes a war game with a better plot and characters than Thronebreaker.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghosts4ever

@Planeforger said:

@jackamomo: Wait, did you just say that CDPR produces lowest-common-denominator games with stupid, immature storylines...and praise *Blizzard* at the same time? Huh.

Anyway, wake me up when Blizzard makes a war game with a better plot and characters than Thronebreaker.

just look at the dialouges of cyberpunk so far. every word include f word and cursing to make them-self cool. the storyline looks ridiculous and now compare it to other cyberpunk RPG that was Deus Ex 1 and even HR. and how later aimed at mature audience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I hope that at least one of these 400 people knows how to design decent combat and movement controls.