CD Projekt RED Considering The Witcher 3 For Linux

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Hexagon_777
#1 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -

Here's the source. Glad that they are considering SteamOS, not so glad that the reason there has been no Linux support till now is based entirely on a myth.

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#2 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (21783 posts) -
@Hexagon_777 said:

Here's the source. Glad that they are considering SteamOS, not so glad that the reason there has been no Linux support till now is based entirely on a myth.

So, if the myth isn't true. Does this mean I can run TW3 on a PC with Fedora?

Avatar image for ShadowDeathX
#3 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11590 posts) -

I don't have plans to install SteamOS, but hopefully I can play Witcher 3 on LinuxMint Debian. :)

Avatar image for Hexagon_777
#4 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@Hexagon_777 said:

Here's the source. Glad that they are considering SteamOS, not so glad that the reason there has been no Linux support till now is based entirely on a myth.

So, if the myth isn't true. Does this mean I can run TW3 on a PC with Fedora?

If CD Projekt RED gets over itself and releases The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for Linux then I don't see why not.

Avatar image for Hexagon_777
#5 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -
@ShadowDeathX said:

I don't have plans to install SteamOS, but hopefully I can play Witcher 3 on LinuxMint Debian. :)

SteamOS is based on Debian so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to if the game does come out for Linux.

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#6 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (21783 posts) -

@Hexagon_777 said:
@ShadowDeathX said:

I don't have plans to install SteamOS, but hopefully I can play Witcher 3 on LinuxMint Debian. :)

SteamOS is based on Debian so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to if the game does come out for Linux.

Cool. My backup gaming PC uses Vista right now. But, I wouldn't mind turning it into a Linux (testbed) gaming PC.

Avatar image for starjet905
#7 Posted by starjet905 (2062 posts) -

@Hexagon_777 said:

Here's the source. Glad that they are considering SteamOS, not so glad that the reason there has been no Linux support till now is based entirely on a myth.

How is the reason a myth? You can't just make one version and expect it to run on all available Linux distros.

Avatar image for Hexagon_777
#8 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -
@starjet905 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

Here's the source. Glad that they are considering SteamOS, not so glad that the reason there has been no Linux support till now is based entirely on a myth.

How is the reason a myth? You can't just make one version and expect it to run on all available Linux distros.

Watch the video in the comments or check the slides in the article. I think we can trust a developer who's been doing it for over 15 years as opposed to the folks at CD Projekt RED who listed FreeBSD as a Linux distro.

Avatar image for edwardecl
#9 Posted by edwardecl (2241 posts) -

You'd think developers would be more aware of Linux, I just figured people didn't bother porting because they thought it was not worth their time, or that there is a lack of DRM features like Securom that publishers force people to use. I know GPU support used to be crap, but they are improved by a huge amount now especially with AMD providing their own drivers these days

When devs start talking crap without even researching what they are talking about they make themselves look like idiots. A lot of the issues with distributions are non existent these days, if you support something like Debian you can be pretty sure the dependencies will be available on stuff like Ubuntu because it's more or less the same, as long as the user has newish kernel modules for their hardware there should be no issue, but even if the distribution does not have something specific why not include the binary with the game like they do with Windows with crap like Microsoft C++ runtimes and dotnet and the billion other dependencies Windows needs... at least you would not need to bundle DirectX updates ^^.

Or just say you support Debian/Ubuntu version X and above and leave it at that, you could go into a little more detail with the dependencies as well in the readme file if there are any and I'm sure anyone using Linux with a lesser used distribution will fix it without needing help, you don't need to support all distributions by testing every single one, just the ones people are going to use for gaming. Also I'm sure mantle will be ported to Linux as well so there's that.

Avatar image for Hexagon_777
#10 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -
@edwardecl said:

When devs start talking crap without even researching what they are talking about they make themselves look like idiots. A lot of the issues with distributions are non existent these days, if you support something like Debian you can be pretty sure the dependencies will be available on stuff like Ubuntu because it's more or less the same...

Precisely. What kind of research do you think it is that GOG and CD Projekt RED have done when "distro fragmentation" is still an issue for them, FreeBSD was listed as a Linux distro, they think they would have to support that one guy trying to play games on a Raspberry Pi, and Chrome OS was an operating system they think would need to be supported?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
#11 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

yeah sure 5 distro's. but do it one distro at a time, either steamos or Ubuntu + Steam for Linux.

waiting until you have 5 distros 'ready' would be unnecessarily stifling.

Avatar image for Salt_The_Fries
#12 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

Why is this such a big fuss in the first place?

Avatar image for MBirdy88
#13 Edited by MBirdy88 (11858 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why is this such a big fuss in the first place?

anything for free.... some people insist that business lose money to suit consumors. Linux opens up the way to this thinking.

Its mixing open source with business....

people hating on windows despite linux being a much bigger hassle even now.

in other words, the incredibly small "consumor-linux user" niche wants to be heard.... and have it in their minds that the public are better off on such a platform... which is flat out a lie.

There is a reason we pay for windows/os x over getting free linux. we pay the salaries of companies that have a constant and consistant plan with their operating systems and the support that goes along with them. even if they don't always get it right.

hate for windows is an overexagurated joke.

Avatar image for Hexagon_777
#14 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why is this such a big fuss in the first place?

anything for free.... some people insist that business lose money to suit consumors. Linux opens up the way to this thinking.

Its mixing open source with business....

people hating on windows despite linux being a much bigger hassle even now.

in other words, the incredibly small "consumor-linux user" niche wants to be heard.... and have it in their minds that the public are better off on such a platform... which is flat out a lie.

There is a reason we pay for windows/os x over getting free linux. we pay the salaries of companies that have a constant and consistant plan with their operating systems and the support that goes along with them. even if they don't always get it right.

hate for windows is an overexagurated joke.

Thank you for your hyperbole. Now please step aside and let the facts speak. I am sick of having to refute all this FUD and other childish nonsense with actual data from the developers themselves over what self declared analysts have to say. It's ridiculous the amount of misinformation people are spreading. Just ridiculous.

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why is this such a big fuss in the first place?

The fuss is that CD Projekt RED is actually considering supporting Linux once SteamOS takes off because it thinks that SteamOS will provide a solution to a problem that does not even exist, namely distro fragmentation. Going by this, CD Projekt RED could actually support Linux as it is now, and that's what many are saying.

Avatar image for MBirdy88
#15 Posted by MBirdy88 (11858 posts) -

@Hexagon_777 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why is this such a big fuss in the first place?

anything for free.... some people insist that business lose money to suit consumors. Linux opens up the way to this thinking.

Its mixing open source with business....

people hating on windows despite linux being a much bigger hassle even now.

in other words, the incredibly small "consumor-linux user" niche wants to be heard.... and have it in their minds that the public are better off on such a platform... which is flat out a lie.

There is a reason we pay for windows/os x over getting free linux. we pay the salaries of companies that have a constant and consistant plan with their operating systems and the support that goes along with them. even if they don't always get it right.

hate for windows is an overexagurated joke.

Thank you for your hyperbole. Now please step aside and let the facts speak. I am sick of having to refute all this FUD and other childish nonsense with actual data from the developers themselves over what self declared analysts have to say. It's ridiculous the amount of misinformation people are spreading. Just ridiculous.

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why is this such a big fuss in the first place?

The fuss is that CD Projekt RED is actually considering supporting Linux once SteamOS takes off because it thinks that SteamOS will provide a solution to a problem that does not even exist, namely distro fragmentation. Going by this, CD Projekt RED could actually support Linux as it is now, and that's what many are saying.

right.... im sure good guy gabe is doing it for "the little guys" .... more like, wants to monopolize PC gaming more than they already do, without having to pay windows royalties to microsoft.

all hail steam OS ....

Avatar image for Hexagon_777
#16 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why is this such a big fuss in the first place?

anything for free.... some people insist that business lose money to suit consumors. Linux opens up the way to this thinking.

Its mixing open source with business....

people hating on windows despite linux being a much bigger hassle even now.

in other words, the incredibly small "consumor-linux user" niche wants to be heard.... and have it in their minds that the public are better off on such a platform... which is flat out a lie.

There is a reason we pay for windows/os x over getting free linux. we pay the salaries of companies that have a constant and consistant plan with their operating systems and the support that goes along with them. even if they don't always get it right.

hate for windows is an overexagurated joke.

Thank you for your hyperbole. Now please step aside and let the facts speak. I am sick of having to refute all this FUD and other childish nonsense with actual data from the developers themselves over what self declared analysts have to say. It's ridiculous the amount of misinformation people are spreading. Just ridiculous.

right.... im sure good guy gabe is doing it for "the little guys" .... more like, wants to monopolize PC gaming more than they already do, without having to pay windows royalties to microsoft.

all hail steam OS ....

Fine, let us start, then, shall we?

Mixing open source with business, you say? No way. That's never been done before. Not with servers, not with mobile phones, not with supercomputers, not with televisions, no, Linux holds majority market share on those devices without there being any business involved because open source and business simply don't go together as one is free and business cannot ever don't not do free. Durr.

People are rightfully hating on Windows. Microsoft has done some nasty, monopolising things. Users have no control over Windows. Heck, users were lucky enough to get to keep the original user interface which Microsoft so generously provided for Windows 8. Windows 9? Maybe not so lucky. Did you see the Xbox One reveal? Yea, speaks for itself. Microsoft wants to go down the Apple route and that is never good for consumers. Bet you're lovin it, though.

Market share may be small right now, but even at only 1.6% currently, there are approximately 1 200 000 Linux users on Steam. A viable market if you ask me. But yea, developers keep on releasing games for Linux at an increasing rate because Linux users don't buy games and want everything for free. Oh, wait! Developers are saying that Linux sales are dangerously close to Mac OS sales, in some rare cases even surpassing them, and all that despite having far less market share and support than Mac OS. Developers also say that the cost of porting and maintaining is negligible compared to the amount they make back from Linux users even with the current market share that Linux users have on Steam. A flat out lie? Seems like you can't handle the truth.

Yea, we pay the salaries of companies that have a constant and consistent plan with their operating systems but don't hand out the control a user needs. The NSA loves that crap, oh baby. Also explains why Linux is ahead of everything else in the other sectors apart from desktop/laptop computers. For now.

Gabe wants to do business in a previously untapped market that consists of collaberation and not what Microsoft dictates. The only thing he will practice control over will be SteamOS. Don't like it? Use another Linux distro! LOL. There's always DRM free gaming.

Leave this thread and never return.

Avatar image for MBirdy88
#17 Edited by MBirdy88 (11858 posts) -

@Hexagon_777 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why is this such a big fuss in the first place?

anything for free.... some people insist that business lose money to suit consumors. Linux opens up the way to this thinking.

Its mixing open source with business....

people hating on windows despite linux being a much bigger hassle even now.

in other words, the incredibly small "consumor-linux user" niche wants to be heard.... and have it in their minds that the public are better off on such a platform... which is flat out a lie.

There is a reason we pay for windows/os x over getting free linux. we pay the salaries of companies that have a constant and consistant plan with their operating systems and the support that goes along with them. even if they don't always get it right.

hate for windows is an overexagurated joke.

Thank you for your hyperbole. Now please step aside and let the facts speak. I am sick of having to refute all this FUD and other childish nonsense with actual data from the developers themselves over what self declared analysts have to say. It's ridiculous the amount of misinformation people are spreading. Just ridiculous.

right.... im sure good guy gabe is doing it for "the little guys" .... more like, wants to monopolize PC gaming more than they already do, without having to pay windows royalties to microsoft.

all hail steam OS ....

Fine, let us start, then, shall we?

Mixing open source with business, you say? No way. That's never been done before. Not with servers, not with mobile phones, not with supercomputers, not with televisions, no, Linux holds majority market share on those devices without there being any business involved because open source and business simply don't go together as one is free and business cannot ever don't not do free. Durr.

People are rightfully hating on Windows. Microsoft has done some nasty, monopolising things. Users have no control over Windows. Heck, users were lucky enough to get to keep the original user interface which Microsoft so generously provided for Windows 8. Windows 9? Maybe not so lucky. Did you see the Xbox One reveal? Yea, speaks for itself. Microsoft wants to go down the Apple route and that is never good for consumers. Bet you're lovin it, though.

Market share may be small right now, but even at only 1.6% currently, there are approximately 1 200 000 Linux users on Steam. A viable market if you ask me. But yea, developers keep on releasing games for Linux at an increasing rate because Linux users don't buy games and want everything for free. Oh, wait! Developers are saying that Linux sales are dangerously close to Mac OS sales, in some rare cases even surpassing them, and all that despite having far less market share and support than Mac OS. Developers also say that the cost of porting and maintaining is negligible compared to the amount they make back from Linux users even with the current market share that Linux users have on Steam. A flat out lie? Seems like you can't handle the truth.

Yea, we pay the salaries of companies that have a constant and consistent plan with their operating systems but don't hand out the control a user needs. The NSA loves that crap, oh baby. Also explains why Linux is ahead of everything else in the other sectors apart from desktop/laptop computers. For now.

Gabe wants to do business in a previously untapped market that consists of collaberation and not what Microsoft dictates. The only thing he will practice control over will be SteamOS. Don't like it? Use another Linux distro! LOL. There's always DRM free gaming.

Leave this thread and never return.

"bet i love it" .... no I hate apple... nice assumption.

More linux nerds want to buy games than apple users? hardly shocking news given the difference in users....

at any rate its all hypocritical BS from you even if good ol RED go to linux, if the game is steam-only or GoG only ... the same limited forced crap still applies.

nothing on steam is DRM free. his entire market is based off this.

Avatar image for Hexagon_777
#18 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Why is this such a big fuss in the first place?

anything for free.... some people insist that business lose money to suit consumors. Linux opens up the way to this thinking.

Its mixing open source with business....

people hating on windows despite linux being a much bigger hassle even now.

in other words, the incredibly small "consumor-linux user" niche wants to be heard.... and have it in their minds that the public are better off on such a platform... which is flat out a lie.

There is a reason we pay for windows/os x over getting free linux. we pay the salaries of companies that have a constant and consistant plan with their operating systems and the support that goes along with them. even if they don't always get it right.

hate for windows is an overexagurated joke.

Thank you for your hyperbole. Now please step aside and let the facts speak. I am sick of having to refute all this FUD and other childish nonsense with actual data from the developers themselves over what self declared analysts have to say. It's ridiculous the amount of misinformation people are spreading. Just ridiculous.

right.... im sure good guy gabe is doing it for "the little guys" .... more like, wants to monopolize PC gaming more than they already do, without having to pay windows royalties to microsoft.

all hail steam OS ....

Fine, let us start, then, shall we?

Mixing open source with business, you say? No way. That's never been done before. Not with servers, not with mobile phones, not with supercomputers, not with televisions, no, Linux holds majority market share on those devices without there being any business involved because open source and business simply don't go together as one is free and business cannot ever don't not do free. Durr.

People are rightfully hating on Windows. Microsoft has done some nasty, monopolising things. Users have no control over Windows. Heck, users were lucky enough to get to keep the original user interface which Microsoft so generously provided for Windows 8. Windows 9? Maybe not so lucky. Did you see the Xbox One reveal? Yea, speaks for itself. Microsoft wants to go down the Apple route and that is never good for consumers. Bet you're lovin it, though.

Market share may be small right now, but even at only 1.6% currently, there are approximately 1 200 000 Linux users on Steam. A viable market if you ask me. But yea, developers keep on releasing games for Linux at an increasing rate because Linux users don't buy games and want everything for free. Oh, wait! Developers are saying that Linux sales are dangerously close to Mac OS sales, in some rare cases even surpassing them, and all that despite having far less market share and support than Mac OS. Developers also say that the cost of porting and maintaining is negligible compared to the amount they make back from Linux users even with the current market share that Linux users have on Steam. A flat out lie? Seems like you can't handle the truth.

Yea, we pay the salaries of companies that have a constant and consistent plan with their operating systems but don't hand out the control a user needs. The NSA loves that crap, oh baby. Also explains why Linux is ahead of everything else in the other sectors apart from desktop/laptop computers. For now.

Gabe wants to do business in a previously untapped market that consists of collaberation and not what Microsoft dictates. The only thing he will practice control over will be SteamOS. Don't like it? Use another Linux distro! LOL. There's always DRM free gaming.

Leave this thread and never return.

"bet i love it" .... no I hate apple... nice assumption.

More linux nerds want to buy games than apple users? hardly shocking news given the difference in users....

at any rate its all hypocritical BS from you even if good ol RED go to linux, if the game is steam-only or GoG only ... the same limited forced crap still applies.

nothing on steam is DRM free. his entire market is based off this.

I see, you dared to return, despite all your misinformation. Believe it or not, some games on Steam don't require Steam to run and can simply be launched outside of Steam. Those games merely use Steam to be downloaded. Also, where's the hypocritical BS? You don't refute jack just by saying it's hypocritical. Life don't work that way. Stop spreading FUD and start informing yourself. Being an ignoramus isn't the way to go. I gave you facts. Accept them. Move on.