CD Project Red - overrated, underrated, or just right?

• 54 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll CD Project Red - overrated, underrated, or just right? (62 votes)

Overrated 23%
Underrated 21%
Just Right 56%

I respect them as a company, I think they make high quality games. I also admire their passion for games, and the fact that they give so much content and put so much detail into them. But if I were to go by the hype alone, I would say they are overrated. I played Witcher 3 GOTY this past year, and the combat was just not satisfying for me. I think the series is more known for the story, writing, and characters, than the actual gameplay. And it also helped that it's based on a popular book. I think if Cyberpunk is a success, than we can talk about them being the premiere RPG maker. But for now, all they've down is Witcher, and so I'll hold my judgement.

What about you, SW? Is CD Project Red overrated, underrated, or just right?

• 
PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8461 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

INB4 all the cows rush in here to call it overrated.

Im a hardcore PC gamer and i think they are overrated. only good thing about them are they are consumer friendly and dont use some stupid DRMs. otherwise thier games suck.

I know about you and your reasons but I was specifically talking about cows because they only hate them due to their weird sense of loyalty towards Sony, the same reason they hated and still hate Crytek, CIG, DICE, 4A. And seeing the thread I'm not disappointed.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#52 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Just right imo. The Witcher 3 made a lot of other RPG's from around that time look just plain bad lol

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

Underrated on forums, but just right in general.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts
@Lucianu said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

TW3 is vastly overrated since the combat is shit compared to other RPGs, but they still put out great stuff. I hope they can finally nail it down/

Name one besides the Dark Souls series.

Great, so I have to exclude 3 games plus Bloodborne to help it's case. Why stop at RPGs though? If we're talking 3rd person games, movement and actions should apply. Nioh and GOW could easily be compared and they do gameplay better. The Witcher can do better and I think it's the limiting portion of the game, which sucks since the rest is great.

We're talking about 3rd person games? Everything has shit gameplay compared to the gameplay of Devil May Cry 4. Bloodborne is already a janky piece of shit that desperately needs a port to alleviate its horrendous frame pacing, but compared to something like DMC4.. well. Damn.

The original Dark Souls has aged like shit and is slow as molasses; That game does not have good anything in 2019, especially not wen Dark Souls 3 exists and is infinitely better. If you're calling TW3's combat "shit", then literally everything in the genre is shit except 5 games. Nice God damn expectations you got there. So with the acknowledgement that i am pulling a statistic out of my ass - i'll presume based on your post that 95% of the RPG genre has shit combat (f.uck, i can already imagine what you'd think of Gothic), and the rest is God damn amazing. It's either win or bust.

Listen, it's not like i'm trying to not respect your opinion, but every time someones drives by in a thread with a silly non-meaningful exaggeration i can't help but take a friendly stab, haha.

So what didn't stick with you regarding the combat aspect of The Witcher 3 anyway?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. There are barely any sword and board games that do it better than Witcher 3. Skyrim had shallow, bullet sponge combat. Only with mods is it decent. Horizon Zero Dawn may have had okay shooting mechanics, but the melee portion was garbage.

God of War might be better, but is it an RPG? I've never played it.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey could be a contender, as its combat actually isn't that bad, but is it better? It's close.

And as Lucianu mentioned, Gothic, Elex, Risen; all good RPGs, but all of them have pretty crap sword and board combat.

Of course, the best way to experience Witcher 3 combat is 60 fps and on Death March difficulty. Otherwise, it plays kind of like a hack and slash.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#55  Edited By FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@Lucianu said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Name one besides the Dark Souls series.

Great, so I have to exclude 3 games plus Bloodborne to help it's case. Why stop at RPGs though? If we're talking 3rd person games, movement and actions should apply. Nioh and GOW could easily be compared and they do gameplay better. The Witcher can do better and I think it's the limiting portion of the game, which sucks since the rest is great.

We're talking about 3rd person games? Everything has shit gameplay compared to the gameplay of Devil May Cry 4. Bloodborne is already a janky piece of shit that desperately needs a port to alleviate its horrendous frame pacing, but compared to something like DMC4.. well. Damn.

The original Dark Souls has aged like shit and is slow as molasses; That game does not have good anything in 2019, especially not wen Dark Souls 3 exists and is infinitely better. If you're calling TW3's combat "shit", then literally everything in the genre is shit except 5 games. Nice God damn expectations you got there. So with the acknowledgement that i am pulling a statistic out of my ass - i'll presume based on your post that 95% of the RPG genre has shit combat (f.uck, i can already imagine what you'd think of Gothic), and the rest is God damn amazing. It's either win or bust.

Listen, it's not like i'm trying to not respect your opinion, but every time someones drives by in a thread with a silly non-meaningful exaggeration i can't help but take a friendly stab, haha.

So what didn't stick with you regarding the combat aspect of The Witcher 3 anyway?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. There are barely any sword and board games that do it better than Witcher 3. Skyrim had shallow, bullet sponge combat. Only with mods is it decent. Horizon Zero Dawn may have had okay shooting mechanics, but the melee portion was garbage.

God of War might be better, but is it an RPG? I've never played it.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey could be a contender, as its combat actually isn't that bad, but is it better? It's close.

And as Lucianu mentioned, Gothic, Elex, Risen; all good RPGs, but all of them have pretty crap sword and board combat.

Of course, the best way to experience Witcher 3 combat is 60 fps and on Death March difficulty. Otherwise, it plays kind of like a hack and slash.

On its own merits and not that of other games (btw, Dragon's Dogma has better combat), The Witcher 3 doesn't have really good combat. No matter what difficulty or how many frames per second you play the game, after level 10 or 15 the game is a walk in the park combat wise.

The problem stems from two things: Imbalance of skill abilities, and enemy A.I:

1) The first few hours of Witcher 3 are the hardest with lack of abilities, but once you level up, combat boils down to Quen/Slash/Dodge for every single enemy. You can use potions, oils and decoctions to aid in combat, but practically the combat rhythm is so simplistic you'll only ever need to Quen/Slash/Dodge your way through almost anything.

2) The problem is compounded with enemy A.I. The differences in every enemy type is too subtle to feel unique amongst each species. Each enemy essentially has different attack rhythms that you have to learn... and nothing else. You might need to put down Yrdren for a wraith, and that's it. Oh, and fighting one legendary monster is easier than fighting a pack of wolves.

The combat is only notably passable not because you've played other games with "better" combat before, but because everything else in the Witcher 3 is excellent and adds to the feeling of the Witcher's world. For example, *Minor Spoiler* remember the quest that ended in fighting a Higher Vampire? Epic fucking journey that got you pumped, until the fight when you used the same tactics against it that you used against drowners in the sewers. Meh.

Not all is lost though: there are some really good Witcher 3 mods that make the combat (and alchemy, and loot for that matter) really immersive. Ghost Mode improves vanilla combat, but I really like the Enhanced Edition mod because it actually makes the combat immersive.

Oh and if it sounds like I hate the Witcher 3, I don't. It's in my top 3 experiences ever, and that was just the vanilla lol.