Captain Toad impressive 3DS late entry - Nintendo's Crysis

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58908 Posts

Digital Foundry has analyzed this charming looking game with extremely positive impressions.

Reading.

Nintendo's great run of ports continues.

Nintendo has wasted little time in porting most of its Wii U back catalogue over to Switch and the trend continues with Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - and this is actually a great thing as it's one of the Wii U's most enjoyable titles. Of course, it's ultimately derived from a mini-game in Super Mario 3D World, but it holds up as a standalone release with a whole host of fun puzzles, beautiful visuals and a superb implementation of the Wii U dual-screen concept. But this is no ordinary conversion project because not only is the title coming to Switch, it's getting a 3DS conversion too.

That's right, Nintendo's last generation portable is still thriving and the release of Captain Toad across two new platforms is more interesting than you might think. Just how can the 3DS handle a game originally designed for much more powerful hardware? And in the case of Switch, how well can a game that's so heavy on touchscreen use hold up when playing docked? These are the two aspects that are crucial to the quality of the Captain Toad port: visuals and control.

These are topics any one is free to examine in more depth, as Nintendo has released playable demos for both systems, available to all now on the eShop. And as you might expect, on the matter of visuals, Switch coasts through with no problem whatsoever. On Wii U, Captain Toad is a 720p game - just like most of the console's library. When played in docked mode on Switch, resolution is increased to a full 1080p while handheld mode targets the native 720p of the mobile screen instead.

There is one oddity, however - the included boss stage in the demo features a heat haze effect that appears to render at a lower resolution, possibly in the 720p region, but it may just be the haze filter itself adding a blur to the presentation. Compared to Wii U, the Switch looks nearly identical in this one specific area while it's obviously much sharper elsewhere. That's really it, though - the rest of the visuals appear virtually identical to the original game, but that doesn't mean it wasn't handled with care. For example, the user interface graphics are enhanced and displayed at 1080p as well, helping to avoid blurry text and icons.

But control is the real challenge for the Switch with this title. How do you handle touch controls without a touchscreen? Nintendo's solution is to implement a new pointer system. Basically, using the gyro controls featured in both the Pro Controller and the JoyCon, players manipulate a large cursor around the screen. You simply point at interactive objects and hit the action button. The results are mixed - it works well enough, but it never feels quite as satisfying as the original touch controls. The pointer itself isn't as refined as what Nintendo fans are used to either - the original Wii relied on infrared enabling super snappy pointer action in the process. Gyro pointer manipulation feels somewhat floaty in comparison, especially when using the Pro Controller. Additionally, seeing the pointer on-screen at all times, even when it's not needed, is distracting since it's always moving around with your hands.

Thankfully, if you prefer touch controls, that option is still available via the Switch's portable mode and that's just as well really as I'm of the opinion that the docked experience isn't as enjoyable as the original Wii U game when the pointer system is effectively a sub-par version of the original interface. Of course, for docked play, the pointer concept is the most logical solution, but it doesn't feel as refined as I would have hoped. Of course, on 3DS, this is no problem whatsoever: you manipulate objects just like the Wii U original - by touching the secondary screen. The challenge with the 3DS port is very different; it's all about successfully porting over the visuals.

Clearly, texture detail, shader quality and geometry complexity all take a noticeable hit but on the small 3DS display, it manages to hold up better than you'd think. As a late generation 3DS game, Captain Toad is a surprising showpiece for the system - it's one of the most attractive games I've ever played on the system and it looks fantastic when using the 3D feature. The one key compromise? It runs at 30 frames per second - just like the comparable Super Mario 3D Land - and that's half the frame-rate of the Wii U original. It is consistent though, and that's also the case for the Switch port which (in terms of the demo at least) is doggedly locked to 60fps whether playing portably or when docked.

For those wondering, I did also take a moment to test the game on a 3DS XL in addition to the New 3DS. As a late generation game, I was kind of expecting some sort of enhancement for the newer system but looking at the two side by side, the visual quality appears identical. In fact, I tested the demo on a bunch of different 3DS systems - and a 2DS - and the experience is consistent across the bunch. However, New 3DS owners enjoy a super-stable 3D, which allows the stereoscopic mode to function more reliably without shifting in and out of view based on your hand position. With the isometric nature of the game in mind, this is one title I do recommend playing in 3D.

Stepping back though, the thing that really hits home is just how well Captain Toad stands the test of time. I first wrote about the game all the way back in late 2014 and noted back then that Captain Toad would stand the test of time as it looked beautiful, played well and performance was rock solid. It launched in an era where PS4 and Xbox One games often suffered from issues at launch, requiring patches to sort the issues. Captain Toad was flawless straight out of the box.

It's almost four years later now and I still stand by that. This is the kind of game where even if it ended up on PC or Xbox One X, it would still look and play great. When people talk about Nintendo Magic, this is what they're talking about, even if they can't quite put it into words. Now, all of this may come across as rather high praise for what is effectively a small-scale puzzle game, but I've always loved Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and it's great to see it return on Switch and 3DS. Visually, it's better on the new system, and it plays nearly as well if you can get over the lack of touch controls - but it's that 3DS version that offers the bigger surprise. Back in 2014, I never would have guessed that the 3DS would not only outlive the Wii U but continue to receive ports of Wii U games. Captain Toad on 3DS may not be quite on par with the original release but considering the platform, it manages to hold up remarkably well.

The last point to discuss here is obvious then - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is based on work done for Super Mario 3D World on Wii U, so the introduction of this port on Switch suggests that, maybe, we'll see 3D World on the new Nintendo hybrid too. After all, it's a perfect fusion of 2D and 3D Mario and it's still every bit as brilliant today as it was back in 2013. Since Nintendo is basically wheeling out the full Wii U catalogue on the Switch at this point, they may as well finish the job and bring over Super Mario 3D World as well. As a proof of concept, Captain Toad shows how great this could be, and the chances are that it'll be even more warmly received.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

At the time when it was released for the Wii U it seemed like a decent stopgap but I'm not sold on it for Switch. Is it worth $32.00? I'm not sure yet. The first was rather short w/o much depth.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

“When people talk about Nintendo Magic, this is what they're talking about, even if they can't quite put it into words. Now, all of this may come across as rather high praise for what is effectively a small-scale puzzle game,”

THIS is why I can’t take any Nintendo game review seriously. The fanboys reviewing these games overrate everything with a Nintendo logo and scream “magic” and “charm” every 2 seconds.

We get it, you love Nintendo and they can do no wrong. You love ports of old games.

This is why I have to minus 2-3 full points off Nintendo made games to get the true score.

Wish we could get some honest reviews.

The truth is, this is a port of a glorified mini game. That’s it. Slap a 4/10 and call it a day. No more overrating these games. Stop giving Nintendo a pass because you feel nostalgic.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

@stuff238: Relax dude. Charm is a real thing some people care about. To put it in non-Nintendo terms, it's what separates Nathan Drake from Aiden Pierce, or real Dante from DMC Dante. Maybe you don't care about it, and that's fine, you don't have to. But it's nothing to be angry about. Some people like charming puzzle games just as much as others like visceral, cinematic action games. Nobody's wrong here.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#5 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I'll check out the video later when I have time. Never got around to getting this and I was debating whether to get it for Wii U or wait for the 3DS version. From what I'm reading, it sounds like they did an excellent job with the 3DS version.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@stuff238:

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

1080P 60(locked) on switch docked vs 720p 60(with drops) on wiiU? pretty cool

nice to see handheld mode replicates the touch screen wiiU experience AND with the same 720P resolution! console gaming on the go!

i am amazed the 3DS version actually has 3D!

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Another port?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#9 nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@scatteh316: Because leaving a library to die with a widely shunned console (not me, love my Wii U). That's smart. Let's let GameCube games burn while we're at it, OH WAIT! You wouldn't have gotten some games ported (even if some of the port jobs are really shoddy) if we did.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@stuff238 said:

The truth is, this is a port of a glorified mini game. That’s it. Slap a 4/10 and call it a day. No more overrating these games. Stop giving Nintendo a pass because you feel nostalgic.

Didn't the video mention the same thing? Mini game or not doesn't mean it is bad or will be bad.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

How can Captain Toad be a straight port from the Wii U when the Switch version has stages based on Super Mario Oddyssey, not Super Mario 3D World which were missing?

Anyway, beautiful game in both the Wii U original and the Switch version.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@stuff238 said:

“When people talk about Nintendo Magic, this is what they're talking about, even if they can't quite put it into words. Now, all of this may come across as rather high praise for what is effectively a small-scale puzzle game,”

THIS is why I can’t take any Nintendo game review seriously. The fanboys reviewing these games overrate everything with a Nintendo logo and scream “magic” and “charm” every 2 seconds.

We get it, you love Nintendo and they can do no wrong. You love ports of old games.

This is why I have to minus 2-3 full points off Nintendo made games to get the true score.

Wish we could get some honest reviews.

Say the dude with the PS4 in his avatar lol.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Looks great! I love that Nintendo is doing this. The Wii U had some great exclusives and these games need to be played! So I see no issue with this.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Xenoblade Chronicles X next please. :P

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@superbuuman said:

id rather have xenoblade chronicles 1 ;-)

(enhanced to HD of course)

but i'll take X too :)

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@superbuuman said:

Oh yes!! definitely want Xenoblade Chronicles 1 HD enhanced or HD remake.. :D

X would be easier/quicker ..hehehe.. :)

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I already played Captain Toad on the Wii U. Game was alright but nothing terribly impressive so I have no interest in double dipping for 3DS or Switch.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I bought it on Wii U, and I will buy both the Switch and 3DS versions. The lack of interest people have for glasses-less 3D hurts my soul. Nintendo solved the biggest complaint with 3D, and gamers still bitched. But there is no way I'm playing at 3DS resolution... That shit makes my brain bleed

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

I wonder why they don't port the Mario Galaxy games

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@pitty8982: Wii sold above 100 million. Wii U only sold 13 million. Go figure.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Shut the fvck and take my money !!! I’m buying for my 3DS.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

@superbuuman said:
@KBFloYd said:
@superbuuman said:

Oh yes!! definitely want Xenoblade Chronicles 1 HD enhanced or HD remake.. :D

X would be easier/quicker ..hehehe.. :)

with some QOL improvements. Xeno1 was great but monolithsoft have made big improvements in things like handling side quests and such like. Integrate that stuff into xeno1 along with the usual visual enhancements and so on would be nice.

more on topic: it is impressive how they managed to squeeze this onto the 3DS (the original 3DS spec also. it looks like no enhancements for the new 3DS). but they seem to have good tools internally for scaling between low end and more powerful hardware (smash bros is also impressive on the 3DS). i mean its similar to porting a wiiu game to the gamecube...its quite a leap.

on the switch front: nothing surprising really. as expected.

I may pick the game up in a sale. its a nice game for a portable device but 45 euros for a short puzzle game.....meh meh as a nopon would say.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@raugutcon said:

Shut the fvck and take my money !!! I’m buying for my 3DS.

Preordered it for the Switch, it's cheaper than the usual Switch games, like the Donkey Kong port.

But, from the looks of it, wouldn't be losing out with the 3DS version.

A great handheld console, amazed some folk talk shit about it.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Looks good, but will wait for a price drop

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I hated Crysis.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Looks good. I never got around to picking this up on the Wii U so I wouldn’t mind getting the Switch version.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

@pitty8982 said:

Because they already have a emulator running it on the Nvidia's shield. The shield has literally the same chip as the switch so obviously the switch could run it. Just a matter of time before they announce Wii/GC emulation on switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQWcl_99fs&t=702s

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@PCgameruk said:
@pitty8982 said:

Because they already have a emulator running it on the Nvidia's shield. The shield has literally the same chip as the switch so obviously the switch could run it. Just a matter of time before they announce Wii/GC emulation on switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQWcl_99fs&t=702s

Yeah, but that emulator is holding back a bit due to being on Android

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

i honestly am hating my switch at the moment......just give us higher clocks on handheld mode.... who cares about battery life, shit

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Is this game worth playing on 2ds XL ? Ive never played it. Is it worth it even without the 3D?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 uninspiredcup  Online
@jeezers said:

Is this game worth playing on 2ds XL ? Ive never played it. Is it worth it even without the 3D?

It originally wasn't 3D. 3D is just an added bonus really, depending on your point of view.

Some folk shit-talk it because-because, but it was great on the 3DS.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Why haven't they ported Pikmin 3 or SM3DW over yet?