Capcom producer insists Resident Evil spinoff Project Resistance is a great survival horror experience

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58821 Posts

Honestly, i'm not getting the hate for this game. We knew from the start it was COOP and it pretty much looks like Outbreak. Yet it's getting near Umbrella Corps levels of flak.

Capcom producer insists Resident Evil spinoff Project Resistance is "a great survival horror experience"

The producer of the newly-announced Resident Evil spin-off, Project Resistance, has responded to fan criticism of the series' new direction.

Although acknowledging it is "totally valid that people want more of the quality core [Resident Evil] experience", producer Matt Walker insisted the franchise should "continue to branch out and try to offer up new gameplay in addition to refining the experiences people expect".

"Been seeing a lot of people who are not pleased with the idea that we’re making Project Resistance. It’s totally valid that people want more of that quality core experience offered in RE2 and RE7. My take- we as a company need to continue to branch out and try to offer up new"

"Been seeing a lot of people who are not pleased with the idea that we're making Project Resistance," Walker said on Twitter (thanks, VGC). "It's totally valid that people want more of that quality core experience offered in RE2 and RE7. My take - we as a company need to continue to branch out and try to offer up new gameplay in addition to refining the experiences people expect from us. If we just continue to offer up the same thing over and over again, people will gradually lose interest with what we're making.

"Project Resistance offers up a really interesting way to do that," he added. "The most important part? That it's a great survival horror experience, if non-traditional. I think we confuse things when we make things related to IP that don't actually stay true to the core spirit of the IP, but this project happily doesn't fall into that trap.

"I can't wait till the closed beta to have more people actually play it and see how it is a refreshing new take, but very surely survival horror at its core," Walker continued. "People who have played it have been positive, and I hope during CBT even more people will have fun playing it.

"We're also earnestly trying to get feedback from people who have played it so we can actually make it better, which I feel is fairly rare from a publisher of our size. Based on that feedback, it could grow from a project to a fantastic game."

As Matt reported earlier this week, the first Project Resistance reveal came by way of a new cinematic teaser, showcasing a team of likely sorts roaming through a mysterious research facility - only to be ambushed by some familiar-looking creatures from the Resident Evil universe before a final cliffhanger confrontation with a hulking, and tastefully be-hatted, Tyrant.

Project Resistance is set to release on PS4, Xbox One, and PC at some currently unspecified future point.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Melee looks bad and it's an asset flip game.

It devalues the new engine.

This could have been just DLC for REmake 2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 uninspiredcup

@Ant_17 said:

This could have been just DLC for REmake 2.

They've said it won't be a fully priced game.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I guess that is better?

It still looks bad for combat, which you will be doing a lot.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Shovelware

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I feel the soul purpose of why this game was made is so they can fill it with microstranctions.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm all for co-op games and play Dead by Daylight regularly. That said, I need more info as this feels more like ORC more than Outbreak thus far. The beta plus if friends buy it will make or break the game for me.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

When you feel the need to insist, or reiterate something after a reveal... You might be doing something wrong. It looks lackluster, and a severe step-down in quality from RE2's remake.

If they had done a R3make reveal, even partially finished, then fans would have been rioting with excitement. Who runs Capcom?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup

@lundy86_4 said:

When you feel the need to insist, or reiterate something after a reveal... You might be doing something wrong. It looks lackluster, and a severe step-down in quality from RE2's remake.

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt with this one.

I don't think they are as dumb as people are making out after the conscientious efforts with 7 with a 2 to repair the series.

From the previews of people who have actually played it, it has been positive. And the idea of a dungeon master, akin to Arma 3's Zeus system is something original that might actually be good, coupled with classes and (hopefully) a basic story set-up akin to Outbreaks scenarios, as I never really liked how contextless something like Left4dead was.

My main worry here isn't the game, but as mentioned above, the games as a service shit. As Capcom, from SFV are fucking assholes when it comes to this stuff.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34547 Posts

Looks pretty average, and like a typical littered-with-microtransactions-game.

A producer from Capcom saying their new game is good doesn't mean anything.