uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58904 Posts

It's worth noting, it can be disabled. But still... Jesus Christ, just leave the game alone.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-08-street-fighter-5-gets-in-game-ads

In-game advertisements hit Street Fighter 5 next week, Capcom has announced.

This sponsored content, as Capcom calls it, arrives on 11th December. It'll be displayed in several locations in-game "to remind you about costumes, bundles and the Capcom Pro Tour," Capcom said in a blog post.

You can turn the in-game ads off, but to encourage players to keep them on, you get extra Fight Money in ranked and casual matches when you have sponsored content enabled.

Here's how it works: every character has an "ad style" costume where the sponsored content will appear somewhere on their clothing or model. In the example provided by the below image, we see adverts for the Capcom Pro Tour on Ryu and Balrog's gloves and clothes.

A sponsor will also appear in the versus screen before a battle. These loading ads will not affect loading screen times, Capcom stressed.

And finally, there are stage ads. Some tournament stages feature a sponsor, like the Ring of Power stage. It looks like this:

As mentioned, you can turn the in-game ads off. To do this, go into Battle Settings.

Reaction to the news among the Street Fighter community has been mixed. "It doesn't matter that they can be disabled," wrote redditor Legendary_motives in a post on r/StreetFighter.

"It's wrong to incentivise your users to expose themselves to ads in a game they payed [sic] full money for, on top of DLC, in order to earn Fight Money at a rate they were two years ago before the nerf."

There is also concern the in-game ads will expand to include promos for the likes of RedBull and other Capcom Pro Tour sponsors. As you'd expect, the Street Fighter community has already started taking the piss out of Capcom for the in-game ads with images such as the below:

"It sacrifices the integrity of the characters," Legendary_motives continued. "If there was any evidence that Capcom doesn't give a shit about a brand anymore, them destroying icons like Ryu with tacky Nascar logos is it. These screenshots look terrible, I can only see it being worse when they hotswap these icons with things that fit even less so. Payed $5 for a skin? Splat have a cup of noodles on it."

Others, though, have pointed to the fact you can turn the in-game ads off. "I would rather go to Tekken or Fightcade than play Street Fighter with ads on, but if you can just turn them off then it's a non-issue to me," wrote redditor defeattheenemy.

And others are employing a wait and see approach. In the same blog post, Capcom said it plans to adjust the difficulty, the number of plays and the rewards for the Extra battle Challenges on 11th December. It'll be interesting to see how Fight Money gained from Extra Battle Challenges is affected in the context of the bonus Fight Money offered by enabling in-game ads.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Goodbye Streetfighter. You weren't the best anyway.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#3 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Gross.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'd actually be for in-game adds if it reduced game prices, but if they put them in full priced games, they can **** right off.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@JustPlainLucas said:

I'd actually be for in-game adds if it reduced game prices, but if they put them in full priced games, they can **** right off.

lol, won't happen.

They've actually used a free2play model with grind walls designed to piss you off. Lot's of content is greyed out with padlocks and every single thing in the game, including colors, are all designed with sprinkles of grind.

They gimped the rate getting "virtual money" after release as well. And now, will give you "more virtual money" if you just watch the ads.

It's really quite seedy as ****.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Urgh! Crapcom screwing it up again..geez..they're gonna ruin SF ip doing this.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

lol, won't happen.

They've actually used a free2play model with grind walls designed to piss you off. Lot's of content is greyed out with padlocks and every single thing in the game, including colors, are all desire sprinkles of grind.

They gimped the rate getting "virtual money" after release as well. And now, will give you "more virtual money" if you just watch the ads.

It's really quite seedy as ****.

Oh yeah, I wasn't expecting them do that. Microtransactions have been in fully priced games for years and it's only served to make the publishers filthy rich.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

man i know sf5 sold like shit. but using ads to keep the lights on at capcom? wow

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@KungfuKitten: It was and still is the best, a few optional ads isn't going to change that. Gamers really need to get off this "everything" is horrible kick, this isn't the end of the world nor is it even a big deal.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

It's worth bringing up as well, the grind encouraged the use of "bot farming". Yes, that's right, fighting games now have what is essentially gold farmers who you will routinely be paired up with.

Kinda glad I quite this game, it's 1. Smurf 2. Smurf 3. Smurf 4, Rage Quitter 5. Smurf 6. Bot 7. Bot 8. Rage Quitter 9. Bot etc...

Capcom has fixed none of this shit. They have 0 moderation on this game so it's turned into a shit show of people abusing the ranking system, grinding system and pulling the connection like a big baby.

It's the fighting game equivalent of Call Of Duty or Counterstrike. Better off just finding specific friends to play with than engaging with the community, most of them are pieces of shit, and the only joy I derived from it in the end was beating the shit out of smurfs.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

Time to move onto MK11

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uninspiredcup  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:

Time to move onto MK11

What makes you think that won't be just as bad, if not worse?

MK10 had pretty bad microtransactions and from the get go they are locking out Shao Kahn if you don't preorder.

Warn Bros are just as bad, the only difference is NetherRealm don't skimp on content. SFV near enough suicided the franchise on launch.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

@uninspiredcup: yea I don't mind paying for DLC if the base game is good and complete in itself. I had no problem paying for season pass for injustice 2.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Disgraceful Capcom. You should quit the gaming industry.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

Typical capcom.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

Over here at Tekken we have a saying: “You suck. Go back to Street Fighter 5.”

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@that_old_guy said:

Over here at Tekken we have a saying: “You suck. Go back to Street Fighter 5.”

really? here in smash we have a saying too.

"there's too many people here. go back to tekken"

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VFighter

@that_old_guy: Tekken, button mash heaven lol.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@vfighter said:

a few optional ads isn't going to change that. Gamers really need to get off this "everything" is horrible kick, this isn't the end of the world nor is it even a big deal.

Lol. Bootlicker.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

Yeah I feel the same way. Make the game free if it has ads.

I'll never forget my first in-game ad. It was Rainbow Six: Vegas. They had you helicopter in and you stayed for an oddly long time in from of an Ax Body Spray billboard. It was terrible.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@omegamaster said:

Disgraceful Capcom. You should quit the gaming industry.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By That_Old_Guy

@vfighter: At least you have to button mash, right....SFV has a 1 button easy combo thing.

Facts.

@KBFloYd: it’s not my fault there are more kids than adults.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@mrbojangles25 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

I'll never forget my first in-game ad. It was Rainbow Six: Vegas. They had you helicopter in and you stayed for an oddly long time in from of an Ax Body Spray billboard. It was terrible.

Hahah, yea, I remember Battlefield 2142 had it. Still does I think?

Advertising components

Battlefield 2142 shipped with dynamic in-game advertising provided by IGA Worldwide. A similar system is featured in games such as Battlefield 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and PlanetSide.[12] The system changes advertisements on objects such as billboards in-game. These in-game advertisements have been dubbed adware by some, and there has been a vocal backlash against this element of the game.[13]

Additionally, much of the recent "advertising space" has been used to show propaganda for new in game features and helping to feed rumors of a new game type in the works. Intel has advertised in the game, and recently the Discovery Channel has placed advertising in the game for their Future Weapons series. More recently advertisements for the DVD release of the movie Ghost Rider have appeared.

An in-house advertisement for Battlefield: Bad Company have appeared recently, stating such things as "Celebrating the 134th anniversary of the Battlefield: Bad Company demo."

Another current one is advertising the DVD and Blu-Ray release of I Am Legend. Billboards without paid advertisements generally have recruitment posters for the factions, and ads for "DICE Travel." These travel ads sell the reader into going to the various maps, such as Verdun or Berlin, for ₤2142, with taglines such as "Gun not included" and "One-way." Some billboard ads recently added after the new year can be found during the gameplay saying "Happy 2143 EU Soldiers!" Additionally there is a reference to the sci-fi film Starship Troopers, and by extension, World War II recruitment posters, on billboards featuring the slogan – "He's Doing His Part. Are You?"

Ads have also recently appeared for the Northern Strike booster pack, displaying pictures like those of the Goliath, with a tag line of "A soldier's best friend", and PAC propaganda posters with the faction flag and a line reading "Европа завоёвана!" ("Europe is conquered!"), in Russian. In the UK, ads consist almost entirely of ads for Intel Core 2 Duo which states "Battle-Tested" and EA's own Northern Strike. More recently in Britain (August 2007), the bank Lloyds TSB placed adverts in-game showing various accounts and products available from them. Also recently, billboards sporting ads for Battlefield: Bad Company have been popping up. The most recent of which being advertisements for Bad Company's free Conquest mode addition.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

After the irritating business model that SFV and KI use, and even SF4 with the version after version and nickel and dimming with all the dlc for each version, this is the next logical step for Capcom, and I'm not surprised. They lost a lot of class and integrity a long time ago in my eyes. But to be fair, from their point of view, class and integrity don't pay the bills do they.

For me, I learned my lesson with SF4, that once released, wait 5-6 years and get the final complete version of the game. I'm a bit off topic here though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Sony's got console ads exclusivity now, "this is for the ad watchers"

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VFighter

@that_old_guy: 1 button combos, you ever play Street Fighter lol? Or are you trying to bitch about Supers in SF, something Tekken also has just called rage arts. Keep showing that ignorance kid, I need the laughs.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VFighter

@HalcyonScarlet: It isn't just a SF and KI thing, all fighting games use seasons now. Tekken, Dragonball, Soul Caliber, SF, KI, they all do it.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

If the ads on a billboard in the game I think it adds to the atmosphere. There are real world billboards pretty much everywhere.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Can't wait to see whats in store for resident evil 2

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 uninspiredcup  Online

@warmblur said:
Loading Video...

A god tier post my friend.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Tekken flexes again

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Integrity of the characters?

Wut

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 That_Old_Guy

@vfighter: look at you thinking you’re all insightful and smart.

No not rage arts or Supers.

I’m talking about actual combos in the control settings that can be mapped to 1 or 2 buttons.

Did you forget about that or are you just fucking stupid all the time. And before you say Tekken has easy combos...that was put in bc SFV did it and whether anyone likes it or not SF is the flag ship fighter.

It was a whole joke at EVO in 2017 during the Tekken finals.

Ignorance? Show some respect you fucking twat.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

A great addition to the "exactly how much fucking with our customers can we get away with"-era of gaming we are in right now.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 VFighter

@that_old_guy: Old mans triggered because he's wrong and stupid, good for you lol. I've played SFV since Day one and sorry, no one button combos, keep up the stupidity though its what makes forums so fun.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Can someone explain to me why this is discussed but Gran Turismo putting ads like TAG in their game goes unnoticed?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VFighter

@k--m--k: Have you ever watched a race, there are ads EVERYWHERE, so a few ads in a racing game is no big deal, GT isn't the only racer to do so. Same with SFV, go watch any boxing or MMA event, ads everywhere. The only reason why people (idiots) are making a big deal out of this is because its been the trendy thing to hate on Capcom for some time now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@that_old_guy said:

@vfighter: look at you thinking you’re all insightful and smart.

No not rage arts or Supers.

I’m talking about actual combos in the control settings that can be mapped to 1 or 2 buttons.

Did you forget about that or are you just fucking stupid all the time. And before you say Tekken has easy combos...that was put in bc SFV did it and whether anyone likes it or not SF is the flag ship fighter.

It was a whole joke at EVO in 2017 during the Tekken finals.

Ignorance? Show some respect you fucking twat.

I'm really confused. SFV hasn't got auto-combos. I think you might be mixing up Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite.

The combos in SFV is quite short compared to something like anime fighters. And spamming combos by themselves don't win games. Alot of folk spent all day learning combos but not actually the basics like... "don't jump" and end up getting into repetitive patterns that fall apart with scrutiny.

Loading Video...

Which is why the game is great really, it's like fencing on crack cocaine.

Partly why I didn't get into DBZF come to think of it, not a fan of watching anime characters take 10-20 second combo turns. It's abit frantic and messy as well compared to SFV.

SFV is a really excellent game, burdened by Capcom being greedy shits.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

splinter cell chaos theory had one too. wrigley's airwaves chewing gum makes a few appearances in it as well

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

I'm gonna be honest, call me a fanboy if you want but by exemple, Nintendo suddently putting adds in Ultimate won't stop me from doing Smash parties with friends and family.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 That_Old_Guy

@vfighter said:

@that_old_guy: Old mans triggered because he's wrong and stupid, good for you lol. I've played SFV since Day one and sorry, no one button combos, keep up the stupidity though its what makes forums so fun.

Loading Video...

Go to 2:20 and in the controller set up there’s “BUTTON COMBOS” where you can map a 3 button combo to 1 button.

Even the guy in the video says its for “chumps”.

Now shut the **** up and let the adults talk.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@that_old_guy said:
@vfighter said:

Loading Video...

Go to 2:20 and in the controller set up there’s “BUTTON COMBOS” where you can map a 3 button combo to 1 button.

Even the guy in the video says its for “chumps”.

Now shut the **** up and let the adults talk.

That's 3 buttons to one rather than hitting 3 buttons at once.

It doesn't give you combos lol

In the old days arcades typically had 6 buttons, now most fight-sticks and controllers have far more than that. Typically the two end buttons being X3

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By That_Old_Guy

@uninspiredcupwith : I know that’s what it does and I don’t care if it gives you a fart in the wind. It’s allowing a 3 button combo, move, string, whatever to be mapped to just one hit of one button.

Fucking games has easy mode built in.

Other dude is talking about how Tekken is a button masher? Have you seen some of the inputs you have to do to do some of the rage drives??

besides I was just joking with the ”we have a saying in Tekken” and tweedle dumb easily got triggered.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 uninspiredcup  Online

@that_old_guy said:

@uninspiredcupwith : I know that’s what it does and I don’t care if it gives you a fart in the wind. It’s allowing a 3 button combo, move, string, whatever to be mapped to just one hit of one button.

Fucking games has easy mode built in.

Other dude is talking about how Tekken is a button masher? Have you seen some of the inputs you have to do to do some of the rage drives??

besides I was just joking with the ”we have a saying in Tekken” and tweedle dumb easily got triggered.

:/

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VFighter

@that_old_guy: Dear god you're an idiot lol. You still have no idea what the hell you're talking about, but please don't let that stop you from continually making an ass of yourself.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 That_Old_Guy

@vfighter: you’re not refuting what I’m saying. I showed video evidence of how SFV makes it easy mode.

All you’re doing is talking shit.

Next time don’t get so offended by a trivial joke you fucking child.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VFighter

@that_old_guy: You keep moving goalpost and are clueless as to what you're actually talkin about, again please don't stop as this is as funny as it is pathetic.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 That_Old_Guy

@vfighter: you’ve said twice you’ve never even played Tekken, speaking of ignorance.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VFighter

@that_old_guy: Please please please show me where I said I don't play Tekken, twice lol. You're grasping and missing like crazy old time idiot. I've played and own ever Tekken game minus 6 and Advance (the game boy advance one). Are you done looking like an ass or are you going to just keep going on as clueless as ever?