Canada game prices to "may" raise to $65!!!(+/tax)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

http://www.justpushstart.com/2014/01/game-prices-increase-canada/

Although another source I say is for pre-orders, this is the first of the "newer" sources that state it will be permanent without mentioning pre-orders.

Which is the reason i put "may' as apparently there is a clash between sources on whether this will be only for pre-orders, or this will be a final stay with official game prices. A trend I hope will not happen as certain shared retailers with the U.S. might get ideas and do the same thing.

Now according to http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/01/20/pslssa-eb-games-canada-raises-prices-of-many-pre-order-titles-by-5-other-retailers-may-follow/ It's pre-orders as well as 6 others I found. although MORE say straight out it will be an end all be all price for games in canada.

Regardless it is still a factual price increase of inconvenience, as the pre-order price argument is true regardless if it's the stay price or not, so it's clear that canada is going in that direction, with Bestbuy and Ebgames.gamestop pulling in front. Which are shared companies with the U.S. we all know this is coming, and I hope it does not, but the first steps are already there.

It may even go higher, but let us try and hope for the best with the price raises.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

isn't that what it is in the first place with tax? o.o

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

59.99 usually + taxes(depending of the province) but it gets up around 68$ in Quebec

Thing is the value of the Canadian dollar dropped a lot in the past year

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jakandsigz

@Joedgabe said:

No, but I mean separately.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#5  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@Joedgabe said:

$67 here in Easter Canada

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

This has happened before in Canada. I live very close to a decent sized american border city (30 mins) I usually buy my electronics from the states and bring them back. I don't care if its money out of our countries economy I will not pay the retarded prices for some things here.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

That would suck.

@Bishop1310 said:

This has happened before in Canada. I live very close to a decent sized american border city (30 mins) I usually buy my electronics from the states and bring them back. I don't care if its money out of our countries economy I will not pay the retarded prices for some things here.

We do a lot of our grocery shopping over the border... I rarely buy electronics, though.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

America is next... I can feel it.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

America is next... I can feel it.

don't jinx us >__>

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

I won't go higher than $60 for a console game. I'll wait, or make purchases elsewhere.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

And prices will continue to drop anyway. I can just wait till the game I want hits that $30 mark or less, as I'm already doing with $60 games. So in the grand scheme, for those that don't buy day 1 that is, this makes little difference.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Games here in Canada are usually 59.99 +tx where i'm from (Queblecch) Games come to around 67-68$ with taxes in other places such as Alberta its about 61-62 much better.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Ah well, at least you still have better health care than us stupid Americans.

Our health care system sucks.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@MonsieurX: thanks. That was the first thing I was going to ask, where the Canadian dollar was.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

people still buy games at full price?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

is this just for console games?

in canadia, when you buy games on steam, do you pay in american dollars?

i like paying for video games in american dollars.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jakandsigz

@AdobeArtist said:

And prices will continue to drop anyway. I can just wait till the game I want hits that $30 mark or less, as I'm already doing with $60 games. So in the grand scheme, for those that don't buy day 1 that is, this makes little difference.

You seem to think games costing $60 are somehow only for day one and first month releases when games usually remain $60 for quite a long time new.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@farrell2k said:

It's half/ half right now great hospitals low staff, our government is a joke they pretty much admit they're corrupt lol.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@AdobeArtist said:

You seem to think games costing $60 are somehow only for day one and first month releases when games usually remain $60 for quite a long time new.

It's OK AdobeArtist, I know exactly what your message was. I read it loud and clear.

Basically, it doesn't affect you unless you're buying a game which hasn't yet had a price drop.

Crystal clear. Easy peasy. No worries.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

**** it. I'm still in my $40- 3DS rage. If true, I'll be pissed when I actually want to move next gen.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

That sucks but it's not a surprise - almost every type of good & service has increased in price since the recession, yet videogames who appear to be almost recession-immune, have not had a price increase all this time....I guess it's time to face the music.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

@SOedipus said:

@farrell2k said:

Don't like it leave and see how you like paying an arm and a leg for doctors visit.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shielder7
@AdobeArtist said:

Pretty much this there are very few games I buy day 1 anymore. It bugs me to no end paying 60$ for a game than seeing it drop 30$ on Amazon in a month. Not to mention if you wait for GOTY you get the whole package. However I still remember when SNES games were 99$ and they didn't exactly drop very quickly. although if you buy the game day 1 and DLC you're probably paying over that.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Already paying $68 with taxes

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

My GOD! That'll be $73.45 with tax here in Winnipeg!

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SOedipus

@Shielder7 said:

@SOedipus said:

@farrell2k said:

Don't like it leave and see how you like paying an arm and a leg for doctors visit.

Why? I pay taxes. I have a right to complain. Especially with all the crap I've seen. I work in healthcare, and I've worked in a lot of countries. In the States it's a business so you get what you pay for. It sucks for those who aren't well off. In Canada it's all about luck. You better hope your doctor isn't booked solid or that the walk-ins or emergency aren't busy if you need to go there and that there's someone competent doing the rounds.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

$100 and sometimes $110 in australia. Stop your complaining.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

@farrell2k said:

i know right lol

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

So?

There was a couple times last gen that they were $69.99 before tax (which at the time was 14% in my province). I paid $79.79 for Mirror's Edge and felt fulfilled in paying that after the first playthrough.

I remember the days of $99.99 CAD N64 games. That's $135 in modern Canadian money. Before tax. People need to stop bitching and either pay for their games or just wait a few months like the rest of us.

Edit: The reason why this happens is because the Canadian dollar loses it's parity with the US dollar. It's currently sitting at $0.89 USD. In 2007 (IIRC, when games were $70) it was in the ~$0.70 region.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

@joel_c17 said:

$100 and sometimes $110 in australia. Stop your complaining.

I haven't bought a retail game in a long time so are the prices still that high?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

I agree. With my backlog I can wait for most games to drop to $30 or under new, before I buy them. There will still be a few games that I buy day 1 at full price but I'm not worried about prices of games going up.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

just shop on Amazon.ca then

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

@blangenakker: yeah i try to avoid it - yep some big name games can go as much as 109. I believe fallout 3 was 119 when it launched - but that might have been with a fancy case or something.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shielder7

@SOedipus said:

@Shielder7 said:

@SOedipus said:

@farrell2k said:

Why? I pay taxes. I have a right to complain. Especially with all the crap I've seen. I work in healthcare, and I've worked in a lot of countries. In the States it's a business so you get what you pay for. It sucks for those who aren't well off. In Canada it's all about luck. You better hope your doctor isn't booked solid or that the walk-ins or emergency aren't busy if you need to go there and that there's someone competent doing the rounds.

So have I dumb ass, and you're right In the States it's a business which is exactly the problem. I broke my arm when I was 19 and had to get 2 plats put in and you know what that would of cost me if I was in the States? 100k and that's before PT, even if I had insurance in the States they would of fought me for every treatment. FYI not too many people have a 100k laying around even the well off especially a 19 year old.

I've never had to wait more than a couple of hours at a hospital usually it's 15-30 mins and I live in the GTA, our healthcare isn't the best but it's a hell of a lot better than the US unless you got a million dollars sitting around for a rainy day.

You say you worked in a lot of countries good go back and GTFO of mine.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

Based on current exchange rates $60 US = $67 CAN

So this would just mean games cost about the same in both countries.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SOedipus

@Shielder7 said:

@SOedipus said:

@Shielder7 said:

@SOedipus said:

@farrell2k said:

So have I dumb ass, and you're right In the States it's a business which is exactly the problem. I broke my arm when I was 19 and had to get 2 plats put in and you know what that would of cost me if I was in the States? 100k and that's before PT, even if I had insurance in the States they would of fought me for every treatment. FYI not too many people have a 100k laying around even the well off especially a 19 year old.

I've never had to wait more than a couple of hours at a hospital usually it's 15-30 mins and I live in the GTA, our healthcare isn't the best but it's a hell of a lot better than the US unless you got a million dollars sitting around for a rainy day.

You say you worked in a lot of countries good go back and GTFO of mine.

Wow, I am so sorry I offended you. I will certainly leave your country.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shielder7

@BeardMaster said:

Based on current exchange rates $60 US = $67 CAN

So this would just mean games cost about the same in both countries.

The fluctuates a lot it's actually lower than it's been in awhile, I doubt it will stay this low for very long and has even gone over the US dollar a few times in the last couple years.

@SOedipus said:

Wow, I am so sorry I offended you. I will certainly leave your country.

Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

So? Just don't buy games at launch, wait a month till they come down in price, have a sale or whatnot.

In all of 2013 I only pre order and or paid full price for maybe 8 games and those were like special editions of nis/atlus/xseed games. Everything else I just waited a little bit on and got them at half the price on a sale, price drop, or used.

If you pay MSRP for all of your games youre a sucker.

Avatar image for Angrypcgamenerd
Angrypcgamenerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Angrypcgamenerd
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

Great.... If this continues to increase prices, my advice is to buy a 1 or 2 TB hard drive and buy digital copies instead. At the moment, the following games have increased in price: Castlevania: Lord of Shadows 2, Watch Dogs, Thief, Dying light, Wolfenstein: A New Order, Mad Max, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, and so on - but it only affects American-made games. So what-ever you do, do not buy American-made games or the X-box One/X-box (or anything made in America) until the Canadian $ goes strong.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Game prices are one of the many reasons that my transition to PC gaming has be so pleasant for me.