Can you really build a PC for less the £800 that beat a PS4

#201 Posted by intotheminx (2571 posts) -

@gamecubepad: My gpu came slightly overclocked out of the box. I haven't tinkered with it beyond that because I haven't needed to yet. With mantle enabled at 1920x1200x-Ultra- I get 52 fps, which is pretty damn good for such a cheap card. I can easily lower the resolution or do some tinkering with the graphic settings to hit 60+fps. The r7 265 is a lot closer to the r9 270 than the r7 260. It's by far the best dollar for performance card on the market atm.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#202 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@Heirren said:

@kingtito said:

@Heirren said:

@kingtito:

Yes, I've voiced my opinion numerous times that I don't think either the ps4 or Xbox are powerful enough, especially considering the longer life span of consoles. However, one could still not build a pc for that amount that exceeds the ps4. There's the optimization of the console format that comes into play. In addition to that, there's buying the case, psu, keyboard, mouse, controller, and OS. Maybe close, one could come, but there'd be corners being cut, for sure.

Of course you could and rather easily. I really don't think you know much about building PCs. The PS4 has been using outdated tech since before it even launched. For $800 you could build a PC that blows the PS4 out of the water. Look up how cheap you can find PC components, you'll see.

I am surely out of the loop. Havent had a custom built pc since 03/04ish. However, there's still the optimization factor, and I've looked into building a pc recently(made me feel REALLY out of the loop) and it is still rather expensive. The machines linked for sub 800 I do not think would hold up to ps4 over time.

Optimization isn't going to magically turn the PS4 into a super computer. It's only going to do so much. You are far over estimating the power of the PS4. Any current mid level PC is going to destroy the PS4. All you have to do is look at the current multiplats and it's PC counter parts. The PC versions have higher resolutions, details, effects and run at faster fps than the PS4. I'm not even sure why you're trying to argue the point. PC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS4 it's not even a contest.

It obliterates the ps4 with the pc build cost in question? Doubtful. And what is best is in the eye of the beholder. Sony will invest in first party titles that wont be available anywhere else. Let's speak hypothetically and say that the Xbox One turns into a total failure. Sony could realistically say, "this game will be on ps4 ONLY." If the console sells an enormous amount because of other consoles not performing sales wise, there could be even more exclusive games for ps4. I never over estimated the ps4 power--in fact, i've stated countless times on this forum that I don't believe it is high enough spec for an 8 year life cycle.

Lastly, at this point in time I think Wiiu is the best. It has some incredible games and some more on the immediate horizon. Developers have mixed feelings on the pc format.....where the heck is GTA5?

#203 Posted by m3dude1 (2226 posts) -

@gamecubepad said:

@intotheminx:

Lol. That's really funny. Probably the best current bang-for-your-buck setup. If I had looked better, I might've thrown a R9 270 in there since Sapphire had one on deal for $179 free shipping. With a little luck it might bump up to around 270x level.

I'd like to see how that whole "console gpus outlast PC gpus" thing plays out this gen. Some cows were adamant that console optimization would let the 7850 in the PS4 perform like a 7950. Nothing I've seen looks close to a 7870 let alone a 7950.

BF4 shows a little different story, where the PS4 runs more like a 260x on mantle than a 7950. How does your 265 handle BF4 MP? PS4 is pushing ~48fps on high-ish settings, 1600x900. Have you had a chance with mantle. What sort of clock bumps can the 265 handle?

Thanks man!

the console have been out for 5 months genius. and killzone and infamous both look better than game on pc.

#204 Posted by gamecubepad (7419 posts) -

@intotheminx:

Very nice. Thanks for the numbers, man.

You CPU is really powerful, especially compared to what's in the consoles. That can make a big difference. Even if 3yrs. down the road the PS4 starts performing better(big if), then it would probably cost beans to get a better GPU.:)

#205 Posted by lundy86_4 (47952 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

the console have been out for 5 months genius. and killzone and infamous both look better than game on pc.

What did you say? That was barely English, yo.

#206 Edited by steamistrash (431 posts) -

http://www.ascendtech.us/amd-a-series-fm1-apu-custom-desktop-pc_i_dtfm1wocpucnfgr.aspx

doesnt matter if the pc is a dualcore......LOL ps4=shitty tablet mobile/cell phone cpu.

WITH OS 175$ AND VIDEO CARD MORE POWERFUL THAN PS4=LESS THAN 400$

#207 Edited by lundy86_4 (47952 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

http://www.ascendtech.us/amd-a-series-fm1-apu-custom-desktop-pc_i_dtfm1wocpucnfgr.aspx

doesnt matter if the pc is a dualcore......LOL ps4=shitty tablet mobile/cell phone cpu.

WITH OS AND VIDEO CARD MORE POWERFUL THAN PS4=LESS THAN 400$

What was your old username?

#208 Edited by steamistrash (431 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

my athlon x2 not even as powerful as the apu architecture athlon with a modern graphics card and 8gb main memory...example 7970 will will bitch slap the **** outta ps4

dev's using 7 threads for code=total horseshit they dont have the skills

#209 Posted by lundy86_4 (47952 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

my athlon x2 not even as powerful as the apu architecture athlon with a modern graphics card and 8gb main memory...example 7970 will will bitch slap the **** outta ps4

dev's using threads for code=total horseshit they dont have the skills

Hold on... You wanna play some Halo? Can you get into the game this time?

#210 Edited by steamistrash (431 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

Nope because u gotta pay for xbox live and halo=no skills casual recharging health and aim assist.

Why dont you come play a free retail game which requires skills?

http://q2s.tastyspleen.net/

These fucking F2ggots are using keyboard and mouse with aim assist on halo on xbox.

#211 Posted by MonsieurX (35942 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

Nope because u gotta pay for xbox live and halo=no skills casual recharging health and aim assist.

These fucking F2ggots are using keyboard and mouse with aim assist on halo on xbox.

lol quake sucks

#212 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

These fucking ****** are using keyboard and mouse with aim assist on halo on xbox.

Good bye

#213 Posted by lundy86_4 (47952 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

Do you have ODST or Halo 3?

#214 Edited by steamistrash (431 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@steamistrash said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

lol quake sucks

bungie looked at idsoftware's engine code to make their fps,they're fucking noobs and never made a great game in their life.

pick up and play garbage

#215 Edited by lundy86_4 (47952 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

bungie looked at idsoftware's engine code to make their fps,they're fucking noobs and never made a great game in their life.

pick up and play garbage

What?

#216 Posted by steamistrash (431 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

@steamistrash said:

pick up and play garbage

What?

HALO ON PC REQUIRES MORE SKILLS.

SAME GAMEPLAY JUST NO AIM ASSIST.

quake still shits all over it

#217 Posted by steamistrash (431 posts) -

im a halo fan but i dont even have halo combat evolved on the pc..........nm im a fucking poser and i dont know shit about the fps genre.

lundy end quote

#218 Edited by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

im a halo fan but i dont even have halo combat evolved on the pc..........nm im a fucking poser and i dont know shit about the fps genre.

lundy end quote

#219 Posted by lundy86_4 (47952 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

HALO ON PC REQUIRES MORE SKILLS.

SAME GAMEPLAY JUST NO AIM ASSIST.

quake still shits all over it

What about climbing a ladder, with no ability to shoot? That sucks, eh?

#220 Posted by lundy86_4 (47952 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

lundy end quote

If you wanna suck it, i'll get it out.

#221 Edited by intotheminx (2571 posts) -

@m3dude1 said:

@gamecubepad said:

@intotheminx:

Lol. That's really funny. Probably the best current bang-for-your-buck setup. If I had looked better, I might've thrown a R9 270 in there since Sapphire had one on deal for $179 free shipping. With a little luck it might bump up to around 270x level.

I'd like to see how that whole "console gpus outlast PC gpus" thing plays out this gen. Some cows were adamant that console optimization would let the 7850 in the PS4 perform like a 7950. Nothing I've seen looks close to a 7870 let alone a 7950.

BF4 shows a little different story, where the PS4 runs more like a 260x on mantle than a 7950. How does your 265 handle BF4 MP? PS4 is pushing ~48fps on high-ish settings, 1600x900. Have you had a chance with mantle. What sort of clock bumps can the 265 handle?

Thanks man!

Infamous is really impressive for a console exclusive. I'll give you that, but it isn't better than every game on PC. Let us wait for the Witcher 3 and other multiplats before me make assumptions lol.

#222 Edited by HailtotheQueen (290 posts) -

@tdkmillsy said:

Probably wrong thread but it is comparing PS4 and PC.

Can you really buy a PC that is less than £800 that can

Beat the PS4 in terms of graphical, run 1080P and higher games at faster resolution with ultra high on. I need it to really be better to justify the outlay.

Be as small as a PS4 or similar

Be as quiet as a PS4

I know its been discussed before but if you can what should I get?

I built an awesome gaming pc for around $700. To put things in perspective, I can play Planetside 2 on ultra settings and still get around 30 fps. If I take the settings down to high I can get around 50 fps and if I turn off shadows, it jumps up to 65-70 even in massive battles. I seriously doubt either the xbox one or ps4 could handle planetside 2 at that framerate during huge battles. Its coming for PS4 but I'm guessing you guys will be stuck at around 30 fps max, if you're lucky.

#223 Edited by steamistrash (431 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@steamistrash said:

lundy end quote

yes it is time for you wimp.

i own every halo game on every platform and pc is the only good halo rest suck balls.

halo 4=fake halo game not made by bungie.

not to mention halo combat evolved on pc is the only title in the franchise which supports dedicated servers so it doesnt officially suck dick like the xbox versions with matchmaking peer to peer bullshit and aim assist.

#224 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

@Krelian-co said:

@steamistrash said:

lundy end quote

yes it is time for you wimp.

i own every halo game on every platform and pc is the only good halo rest suck balls.

halo 4=fake halo game not made by bungie.

not to mention halo combat evolved on pc is the only title in the franchise which supports dedicated servers so it doesnt officially suck dick like the xbox versions with matchmaking peer to peer bullshit and aim assist.

Filthy Casual confirmed

#225 Edited by steamistrash (431 posts) -

quake 2=best game ever play online cooperative and deathmatch on the exact same levels you played single player through.

people dont have skill to make good games like that anymore and blend single player and multiplayer into ONE SINGLE EXPERIENCE.

you get to know quake 2's deathmatch levels even by playing the single player.campaign.

#226 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (21275 posts) -

@steamistrash said:

quake 2=best game ever play online cooperative and deathmatch on the exact same levels you played single player through.

people dont have skill to make good games like that anymore and blend single player and multiplayer into ONE SINGLE EXPERIENCE.

you get to know quake 2's deathmatch levels even by playing the single player.campaign.

The best Quake 2 MP maps aren't in the SP campaign.

#227 Edited by steamistrash (431 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@steamistrash said:

The best Quake 2 MP maps aren't in the SP campaign.

fragpipe,tokeys towers,lava tomb,the edge,lost hallways,the pits,sewers of the stroggos,the slimey place,warehouse those were included in the 3.20 patch as free download content those werent in the game when quake 2 shipped.

Still big gun is one of the best maps ever for 1 vs 1 and it's from single player, there's alot of great sp maps that function great as multiplayer maps.like toxic waste dump or the outlands for example i tend to like deathmatching on the single player levels alot more than the mp only maps.since they're more complex and it makes the levels less boring to play on.

big guns music rocks too :P lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obDnI3ZQmnY

Quake II (2) Soundtrack - HQ - Big Gun

#228 Posted by MK-Professor (4132 posts) -

You can build a PC for less the £400 that beat a PS4.

#229 Posted by Micropixel (1197 posts) -

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Easily.

For £600 you can build a PC with the following:

• FX 6300
  • 8GB RAM
  • 1TB HDD
  • R9 270X

PS4: 1600x900 BF4

PC above : 1920x1080 BF4

Done.

This ^

I just built one of these for a friend 3 days ago. Nice and cheap, amazing performance! This is, of course, not including the monitor.

#230 Edited by Evil_Rage (35 posts) -

I saw a response to what I said earlier about seeing some 500 dollar laptops being almost as powerful as the Xbox One, and the reason they were around 500ish dollars was because it was one of those limited instant rebate deals, and now the laptops are back around the 550-700 dollar and up range, they weren't that powerful, but they were pretty close to the apu in the Xbox One, the cheapest one had 384 shaders but could clock higher than the Xbox One, but I hope these old richland based laptops are to be replaced by 512 shader Kaveri parts, sooner rather than later.

One of the more expensive ones that was 600ish dollars, but is now 700 dollars matched the Xbox One's 768 shaders, albeit with micro stuttering being an issue because it was 768 unified, rather than true 768, but still, if that's what we have in 700 dollar laptopsnow,I can only imagine what things are going to look like when the high end 28nm a10 kaveri based laptops come out. If any of you want to see that 700 dollar laptop I can post the model number if anyone's interested in checking it out.

I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist by saying this, but I wonder how true it is, I think AMD is purposefully holding off releasing to us PC gamers, especially ones on a budget like me, the higher tier parts like, I don't know, the cut down parts in the consoles? I can't help but feel that this is the case. They are making absolutely sure that they hold us PC gamers back from making budget apu rigs with desktop versions of the consoles' APUs because that will likely affect Microsoft and Sony negatively as far as console sales, maybe not majorly, but enough that they might notice.

Didn't AMD say they will sell the cut down parts of the Xbox One and the PS4 APU to us? I know I read that somewhere. If that is true, then we will get 768 and 1152 shader options in desktop APU parts that also has 8 cores/threads instead of the quad-core 7850k Kaveri at 512 shaders, which is around 44% the shader cores of the PS4's apu and 66% of the shader cores of the Xbox One's apu and that can be bought right now. Never mind the fact that we will be able to overclock these cut down 8-core apus, especially with liquid cooling solutions becoming more affordable and less prone to failure than previous all in one liquid coolers, sounds like an awesome small form factor HTPC budget build to me.

But it seems that Carrizo might still be 512 shaders, as far as when I last kept up with AMD's news. While I'd personally love to have an 8-core 1152 shader apu in my next rig(I doubt it would work if I ripped it out of someone's PS4 that's failed due to Sony's customizations and the fact that it is a SoC and probably not a part that will fit in the FM2+ socket) I am a reasonable person. I'd like to see the performance of the new excavator cores and I would like to see a high end part, which to me would be a three module, six core apu with around 850 shader units if such a thing comes out, even if it was 200ish dollars like the 7850K. But I'm guessing, if Carrizo is still 512 shaders, maybe something else will improve, maybe more compute cores or a higher base gpu clock on the apu?

#231 Posted by kipsta77 (1119 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Consoles: cheaper hardware, more expensive games

PC: Expensive hardware, cheaper games

This is VERY true. I've spent a decent amount on my PC and accessories, but I have to admit, games are much cheaper (and better) then buying it on console.

PC is cheaper in the long run.

#233 Posted by R4gn4r0k (24494 posts) -

@kipsta77 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

This is VERY true. I've spent a decent amount on my PC and accessories, but I have to admit, games are much cheaper (and better) then buying it on console.

People always boast about how cheap console gaming is compared to PC. But when you are someone that buys a lot of games, 60 euro/dollars for a game is very expensive.

Also, on consoles you have to rebuy games if you want to play them at better settings or a higher resolution. While on PC, you can use the same version of the game you bought to do that... in most cases :p

#234 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

Equal to the PS4 in terms of power. Costs $4.92 to build.

#235 Edited by Evil_Rage (35 posts) -
@kipsta77 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

The major downside for me is that I cannot take my games, throw them on an external drive (I have a good few 2tb ones I recently bought for file storage) and put them on my laptop, which is largely kept offline (personal reasons) and take them and game wherever, whenever I want, if the game in game in question uses Steam, Origin etc; and MUST be online to play even if when it comes to single player games, which is downright idiotic.

The only games I CAN do that with have been games I bought off GOG, like Witcher and Witcher 2 for example.

Personally I'd prefer and wish more developers/publishers would sell their games directly DRM-Free so I can buy my PC games outright from them (for 40-60 dollars) on PC, thereby directly supporting them, and doing whatever I damn well please with my copy, instead of having it on permanent rental through their "cloud service" for 5 dollars when they reserve the right to take access away at THEIR discretion. I am not going to accept that. I'm one of probably few, but I would be satisfied paying more to actually own my copy of the game, whether sold digitally (including artbook stuff and other such deluxe edition things), or shipped to me on two blu-ray disks, one with the game and one with the deluxe edition content), and furthermore, license agreements be damned.

Also, PC hardware isn't expensive when you think about it, I mean you can probably throw together a cheap, yet powerful htpc AMD apu mini-itx build like my next rig will be, for about 450 dollars in maybe a year, and still keep up with playing games while also not spending top dollar to play the few games at "maximum settings", (never liked that term as whats maximum to me isn't for someone else) that really make PC hardware shine. People who spent a lot of money on top dollar parts still have to upgrade eventually, personally I'd prefer toning down settings, tinkering with settings and making my hardware last and then buy another cheap, yet powerful apu rig, at least thats my plan as I'm kind of tired of the full tower form factor gaming rig and want to see how an AMD apu based mini-itx budget build works for me in the coming years.

#236 Edited by ChristianGmr14 (157 posts) -

I'm an American so I am not sure how much the British Pound equates to the US$, however I built my PC for around $600. I suppose you could do it for less if you buy used parts and not top of the line new one's like I did. I don't know if it will be more powerful than PS4 or not, mine isn't, but if you were willing to spend the money on a gaming PC and invest in good upgrades, it probably could be more powerful than PS4 and Xbox-One.

That being said, I prefer console gaming over my PC. Just my individual preference.

#237 Edited by tonitorsi (8683 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Probably, but a PS4 is the system to own this gen.

Fact.

#238 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@Evil_Rage said:
@kipsta77 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

The major downside for me is that I cannot take my games, throw them on an external drive (I have a good few 2tb ones I recently bought for file storage) and put them on my laptop, which is largely kept offline (personal reasons) and take them and game wherever, whenever I want, if the game in game in question uses Steam, Origin etc; and MUST be online to play even if when it comes to single player games, which is downright idiotic.

#239 Posted by R4gn4r0k (24494 posts) -

@Evil_Rage said:

The only games I CAN do that with have been games I bought off GOG, like Witcher and Witcher 2 for example.

Personally I'd prefer and wish more developers/publishers would sell their games directly DRM-Free so I can buy my PC games outright from them (for 40-60 dollars) on PC, thereby directly supporting them, and doing whatever I damn well please with my copy, instead of having it on permanent rental through their "cloud service" for 5 dollars when they reserve the right to take access away at THEIR discretion. I am not going to accept that. I'm one of probably few, but I would be satisfied paying more to actually own my copy of the game, whether sold digitally (including artbook stuff and other such deluxe edition things), or shipped to me on two blu-ray disks, one with the game and one with the deluxe edition content), and furthermore, license agreements be damned.

Also, PC hardware isn't expensive when you think about it, I mean you can probably throw together a cheap, yet powerful htpc AMD apu mini-itx build like my next rig will be, for about 450 dollars in maybe a year, and still keep up with playing games while also not spending top dollar to play the few games at "maximum settings", (never liked that term as whats maximum to me isn't for someone else) that really make PC hardware shine. People who spent a lot of money on top dollar parts still have to upgrade eventually, personally I'd prefer toning down settings, tinkering with settings and making my hardware last and then buy another cheap, yet powerful apu rig, at least thats my plan as I'm kind of tired of the full tower form factor gaming rig and want to see how an AMD apu based mini-itx budget build works for me in the coming years.

I bought a new laptop a few days ago, I moved over some games from my desktop to try them out and I'm pretty sure you need to only go online once and after that you can play them offline for eternity:

1. Copy the games to your external HDD from the steam/gameapps/common folder

2. move them to your laptop in the folder steam/steamapps/common

3. install steam to the folder steam/ where you put all your games

4. run steam (for this you need to be online)

5. steam will update and show no games installed

6. press install on all the games you moved over. Steam will not download anything but check the local files

7. Normall now you can disconnect your laptop from the internet and play the games whenever and wherever you want.

8. If that is not the case, start the games once and then close them down, now you'll surely be able to play offline, singleplayer games without needing to connect.

Give it a try !

Anyway, I buy a high end PC every 4-5 years, that has some pretty beefy hardware, but not the highest end available. I can do a long time with that hardware before I need to upgrade and it's not that expensive :)

#240 Posted by Evil_Rage (35 posts) -

I'd still rather buy the games directly from the publishers/developers and bypass the usage of Steam/origin/DRM/etc; entirely.

I could have sworn I read that offline mode only works for a limited time, and for some people it doesn't work at all.

People really don't want DRM-free games they can just take on the go without Steam/Origin/etc; ??? That's something I wish we could go back to.

#241 Posted by lundy86_4 (47952 posts) -

@Evil_Rage said:

I'd still rather buy the games directly from the publishers/developers and bypass the usage of Steam/origin/DRM/etc; entirely.

I could have sworn I read that offline mode only works for a limited time, and for some people it doesn't work at all.

People really don't want DRM-free games they can just take on the go without Steam/Origin/etc; ??? That's something I wish we could go back to.

Offline mode used to have minor hiccups, but it's pretty good now.

DRM free games likely won't be the norm... Ever again. That being said, there are some forms of DRM that are far less intrusive, such as Steam.

#242 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (21275 posts) -

@Evil_Rage said:

My wife and I are spending the weekend in a casino resort. She's been gambling while I've been playing the following games on my laptop all day without an internet connection:

Uplay: Far Cry 3

Origin: Crysis 3 and Mass Effect 3

Steam: Bioshock Infinite

Securom: Bioshock

I decided to use the casino WiFi just now after we checked into our hotel room.