Can Xbox do it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

Can they dethrone Sony as best home console maker? Microsoft always finds a way to f**k it up yet Xbox fans are pretty smug this gen. Why do you feel this time Playstation won't prevail over Xbox?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

No.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1038 Posts

Will they outsell the PS5? No. Will they have the best console/services/games? Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

Will they outsell the PS5? No. Will they have the best console/services/games? Yes.

Pretty much. Xbox One X was so much better than PS4 Pro, hardware wise, and Xbox Series X is a mountain of awesomeness all around. I can't imagine PS5 being build any better or out-performing it in anything.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

I don't have a crystal ball. 🤷‍♀️

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Not a chance, but it's gotta do better then last gen so at least it's got that going for it.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#8 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Xbox is more appealing this generation than ever before,it won’t out sell the PlayStation 5 but a better overall console it is over Sony’s. PlayStation will win out of them both on Sony’s passed reputation alone. Competition between all three consoles makers and its the gamers who win in the end. Competition is healthy for all.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Microsoft can't even release a banger. They will finish a distant dead last like always.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

When Sony becomes the best home console maker, then we can revisit this question.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

No, they lack the artistic touch Sony has. Their exclusives will always be of the lifeless, focus tested variety. MS can throw all the money they have on the problem, but when you don’t have it, you don’t have it 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

No, they lack the artistic touch Sony has. Their exclusives will always be of the lifeless, focus tested variety. MS can throw all the money they have on the problem, but when you don’t have it, you don’t have it 🤷🏻‍♂️.

That was probably true a few years ago. But now MS has some of the best studios around at it disposal.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

MS don't care if you buy a console,it's an added bonus that every Xbox series X sells out within minutes,they want gamepas on every available platform,even PlayStation if Sony agreed

I'm a gamer not a sales-er Xbox has the best console,studios and games portfolio.simple facts

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Can you do it with Xbox?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

Xbox....

:P

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sagemode87

@nnoyinghusband: glad we're getting into this. MS has had 4 generations to out do Sony when it comes to games. They've always failed at that. Why is this time different? Because they have Bethesda?

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sagemode87

@sts106mat: doubt you'd say that if this was a positive Xbox post. Is this the new deflection?

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I don't think MS will "win" against Sony any time soon. They do have better hardware, a fantastic studio portfolio and the best service in gaming.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SecretPolice

@ghost_of_phobos said:

I don't think MS will "win" against Sony any time soon. They do have better hardware, a fantastic studio portfolio and the best service in gaming.

The question posed would Xbox win against Sony meaning Console sales which it likely won't.

MS on the other hand selling to Xbox/PC and mobile devises has a better than fair chance at beating Sony in overall software and subscription sales and that's where the $$$$$$$$$$ are at. :P

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12948 Posts

@Sagemode87: how did MS fail at it? MS has always had better games in my experience.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

I’m hoping they can take back America, f Sony and their weirdo movie games.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

Best is a very open thing to say. What do you mean by best? What is the metric? Best exclusives? Number of quality exclusives? Hardware sales? Services and features? Online install base? Power and graphics? What is the metric here?

Microsoft will outdo Sony as far as services and features, and power and graphics.. Microsoft is doing a lot this generation to earn gamer goodwill, while Sony is sort of just chilling. Riding the wave of the last generation so to speak. Also, Microsoft technically has a bigger online install base than Sony with PC Sony will outdo them with best exclusives and hardware sales. The best Microsoft exclusive likely won't sell as well as the best Sony exclusive, mostly because Sony will have more console sales. Both are about even as far as online install base; both are over 100 million monthly active.

The only thing that isn't decided is who will have more quality exclusives. That depends on how well Microsoft does this generation. They have a lot of studios, but we'll have to see if their exclusives are actually good.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1038 Posts

@Sagemode87 said:

@nnoyinghusband: glad we're getting into this. MS has had 4 generations to out do Sony when it comes to games. They've always failed at that. Why is this time different? Because they have Bethesda?

My take. The first Xbox was their first foray into the market against two powerhouse companies, Sony and Nintendo. Sony had lightning in a bottle with adding the DVD drive into the PS2. They already had massive success with the PS1, so the addition of the DVD drive just made the console sell even more. MS had to prove themselves in the console space and they did so by doing several things, like Halo, open world GTA games, DVD drive, top games people wanted, best online service. GameCube was in 3rd place.

The Xbox 360 sold the most until towards the end of the generation when the PS3 became more affordable. MS screwed up with the RROD and siding with HD-DVD. But their biggest ally was Sony, because Sony screwed themselves with the PS3 price. That price fumble allowed the MS to capitalize on sales. Halo was still in it's glory days here and we saw many great 360 titles.

MS screwed up big time with the Xbox One. They took all that clout from the 360 and threw it in the trash. They wanted the One to always be online, have a horrible trading/borrowing policy, their E3 focused way too much on TV instead of gaming, it was weaker than the PS4, it cost $100 more due to the Kinect, the list goes on. They got rid of the Kinect, lowered the price, freed up ESRAM for the devs to use, got rid of stupid policies, but it just wasn't enough. Thankfully, that made them hungry. They created Game Pass, created the Xbox One X, and did the best they could with what time they had left. This generation was a learning experience for MS.

I knew when this current generation started MS would be out for blood. They'd have the most powerful console from the jump, they'd have Game Pass, they'd buy up developers, and they'd swing for the fences. Xbox will always sell poorly in certain markets, that's just the way it's gonna be unless there's some massive change. I think what we're gonna see this generation is a very confident MS who will do very well. They're doing good right now but this fall will be their opportunity to really show what they're made of. Halo could be a game changer. Could be. This is MS' chance to show why you need an Xbox this holiday season over their competitors.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

In the future? Absolutely! But I don’t think we’ll have to worry about consoles by that point. Everything will be streaming by then.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Not any time soon, but Xbox will grow now. And because of Gamepass, they aren't bound by any hardware, so their gen won't reset. It's a growing brand.

And they have a lot going for them. Many studios continually working. Great gaming services. It's a solid start despite the cows insecurity about them.

At the same time, PS5 has great hardware, and a bunch of good early games. But Sony is being a little arrogant right now, not doing much but raise the price of their games. They're giving Xbox the space to grow. But they're content with riding their brand power only, selling on brand power only.

Xbox doesn't have much brand power, so they have to offer something.

The games are going to start rolling out continually now for Xbox. This was the time when Sony should have been aggressive. They seem to be in the same frame of mind as they were after the PS2. The difference is the PS5 hardware isn't the shit show the PS3 was.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

This thread wouldn't age well. 😎

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@Sagemode87: How would we even judge?

Console sales? That doesn't mean that much to MS - it's all about getting people in the Game Pass ecosystem, which definitely includes PC. So, should it be "game pass sales vs PS5 console sales"?

Revenue? I don't think either company breaks down their 10-k that way.

Lems are smug because the promise of Game Pass and the studio acquisitions last year could mean the XSX will have the best library for XBox in any gen - even better than the 360.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Pretty sure Series X is more powerful than the PS5, and from what I know, the Series X has better cooling as well and is just overall a better build than the PS5. Which means MS had already made a better console than Sony.

If you mean "best home console maker" as in "sell the most", isn't Nintendo the winner here?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Dethrone? Playstation already has a place in gaming heaven.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

No, it'll remain being a distant last place and irrelevant brand in gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

@simple-facts: No, you're bluestars, a rabid lemmings that made another account because everyone made fun of your HaH. You have feelings towards Xbox and hate Sony.

You're not fooling anyone.

HaH

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

On hardware sales, no. But in software sales, yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@Sagemode87: You think this new Sony is the same old Sony from days past? You been livin' under a rock lately?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

Depends... If you're factoring just hardware sales, ok... Sony is probably gonna win that. It's a more global presence in games. Has more loyalty and more established franchises....

If we're talking money? Gamepass is gonna print money for Microsoft, it may in fact already be pulling in hand over fist over Sony. I just don't know for sure.

If we rank "best of" each gen it's tough because the goal posts keep changing.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

I don't know. But I don't think its going anywhere soon, and it has games I enjoy, so cool with me. Sales warzzzz fanboys seem to care for some reason.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts
@wonderwinner said:

No, it'll remain being a distant last place and irrelevant brand in gaming.

That's a pretty erroneous statement. I don't think any industry analyst or publication would refer to Xbox as irrelevant. Last place? I dunno.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

If Sony continues on the path of no communication on the future of the PS5... then yes, Xbox can beat them. If Sony is just playing things close to the chest for now, holding a barrage of incredible announcements starting in the near future and continue with a similar momentum that PS4 had... then no.

It really depends on Sony at this point. Microsoft has done almost everything right this gen... so kudos where it's due.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

They definitely have the momentum with Gamepass hype and some big upcoming releases between now and the end of 2021. Halo Infinite is gonna need to be great.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 HalcyonScarlet

Someone's insecure. "dethrone" that's pathetic XD

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#42 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Why are you rezzing a two month old thread?

As for the OP's question: no, and they're not trying to.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HalcyonScarlet

@madrocketeer said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Ah f**k my bad, I was on the wrong forum page. My bad mods.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Original Xbox was a great console with great exclusive games if they continued that path they would give Sony and Nintendo a run for their money, unfortunately they didn’t and all Xbox is right now is Gamepass, we will see in the next few years how MS manages the new Studios they bought and to me it does not look good

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice

You need to finally understand MS's new strategy already.

It's no longer Xbox vs PS, it's MS vs Sony because MS 1st party can just about be played on everything not Nintendo or PS. lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:@madrocketeer said: @HalcyonScarlet said: Someone's insecure. "dethrone" that's pathetic XD

Ah f**k my bad, I was on the wrong forum page. My bad mods.

Its all good. Locking this now.

At least you have an excuse😉