Can we talk about the ending of TLOU? (spoilers)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

Say what you want, but there is zero way what he did at the end of the game wasn't selfish. It was.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

The ending was a fucking piece of Art. There is no way they could have ended it any other way and had the same impact. Magical. Just brilliant. Best game of the generation imo.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#153 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I actually thought the ending was outstanding, from a perspective of Joel's character I don't really see it ending any other way. What's most interesting about it though is thinking about Ellie's reaction.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

The ending should've been where they hear of a scientist that was known to be working on a way to do the surgery without having to kill the person. They then go out to try and find him and when they finally do he's dead from the disease. They then search for his work to see if they can find it. They eventually find it, but it states that it's never been tested and is experimental. They take it to that hospital that's at the ending and they perform the surgery not knowing if she will live or die. He is praying at Ellie's bed side for her to live after the surgery and after 3 days she wakes up and the world is saved and they live happily ever after.

No, just no.

That's a cool ending. Better than a selfish antisocial ending Joel chose. Yay, go off and die slowly while the world dies.

You probably like the ending of Bioshock Infinite where 4 of her drown him to death at the end too.

lol no, that ending you gave is f***ing horrible.

If it was meant to be a stereotypical Video Game Hero story, that's probably how it would have ended or something similar. Hell I expected them to figure a way to have their cake and eat it too, up until the point when you fucking murder everyone including the doctor

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@lazerface216 said:

the ending was perfect, i hate the cliched happy endings we get in 99% of games. hell, i don't even care for stories in most games but this one had me hooked. it honestly made me depressed for about a week after playing it. it really blows my mind that naughty dog could create such a grim game.

You probably like Bioshock Infinite's ending also where 4 of her drown him to death, the character you play.

Are you saying all games should have a happy ending? Feel the same way about movies/books?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 lostrib

@Chutebox said:

Say what you want, but there is zero way what he did at the end of the game wasn't selfish. It was.

Yeah, Idk how you can argue he wasn't selfish. But I think a bigger question, and bigger argument, would be "is he wrong/evil/a villain?"

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 StrongBlackVine

@lostrib said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

The ending should've been where they hear of a scientist that was known to be working on a way to do the surgery without having to kill the person. They then go out to try and find him and when they finally do he's dead from the disease. They then search for his work to see if they can find it. They eventually find it, but it states that it's never been tested and is experimental. They take it to that hospital that's at the ending and they perform the surgery not knowing if she will live or die. He is praying at Ellie's bed side for her to live after the surgery and after 3 days she wakes up and the world is saved and they live happily ever after.

No, just no.

That's a cool ending. Better than a selfish antisocial ending Joel chose. Yay, go off and die slowly while the world dies.

You probably like the ending of Bioshock Infinite where 4 of her drown him to death at the end too.

If it was meant to be a stereotypical Video Game Hero story, that's probably how it would have ended or something similar. Hell I expected them to figure a way to have their cake and eat it too, up until the point when you fucking murder everyone including the doctor

I never thought at any point there would be a "happy" ending. I honestly thought one of Ellie or Joel would die and both came extremely close. The ending was satisfying to me because I would have done the same thing in his shoes. Give up the only thing he cares about in a world that is really already beyond saving for a "chance" of a cure...not worth it. And the story made it clear that Ellie was completely willing to sacrifice herself, but again in Joel's shoes that would not have mattered.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 chessmaster1989
@underdog123x said:

@happyduds77 said:

@underdog123x said:

I think the entire game is over rated, retarded enemy AI, Joel and Ellie are extremely unlikable, especially Joel. Story is just another zombie apocalypse rehash except for it being a fungal bacteria outbreak.

The Winter part of the game with David was awesome though.

Whose alternate account is this?

Oh mah gerd someone doesn't like the same game as you do......

This is exactly why forum posters are generally considered to be fucking retarded

14 posts, seems legit

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 lostrib

@StrongBlackVine said:

@lostrib said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

No, just no.

I never thought at any point there would be a "happy" ending. I honestly thought one of Ellie or Joel would die and both came extremely close. The ending was satisfying to me because I would have done the same thing in his shoes. Give up the only thing he cares about in a world that is really already beyond saving for a "chance" of a cure...not worth it. And the story made it clear that Ellie was completely willing to sacrifice herself, but again in Joel's shoes that would not have mattered.

Yeah, that's why I refer to TLOU as having a human ending, because I really don't think many people could give up one person they love even if it could save everyone else.

Although Ellie is willing to sacrifice herself, we do find out afterwards that she has a wicked case of survivor guilt.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 chessmaster1989
@lostrib said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@lostrib said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

No, just no.

Yeah, that's why I refer to TLOU as having a human ending, because I really don't think many people could give up one person they love even if it could save everyone else.

Although Ellie is willing to sacrifice herself, we do find out afterwards that she has a wicked case of survivor guilt.

I wonder a little if Ellie was truly willing to sacrifice herself or whether that was just an ideal. The ending makes me question it a little.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By lostrib

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@lostrib said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

No, just no.

I wonder a little if Ellie was truly willing to sacrifice herself or whether that was just an ideal. The ending makes me question it a little.

I honestly don't remember if they tell her that the operation will kill her. Because Joel and Ellie get captured while Joel is trying to resuscitate Ellie, and then Joel wakes up and is told Ellie is being prepped for surgery. And later he's told that he knows what Ellie would want, but it doesn't sound like Ellie ever explicitly said that to Marlene

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 chessmaster1989
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@lostrib said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

No, just no.

I honestly don't remember if they tell her that the operation will kill her. Because Joel and Ellie get captured while Joel is trying to resuscitate Ellie, and then Joel wakes up and is told Ellie is being prepped for surgery. And later he's told that he knows what Ellie would want, but it doesn't sound like Ellie ever explicitly said that to Marlene

I'm almost certain they did not tell Ellie the operation would kill her (I'm not actually certain Ellie regained consciousness at all before going into surgery).

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 StrongBlackVine

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@lostrib said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

No, just no.

I think she was totally willing to sacrifice herself, but what was she going to do at that point? Call Joel a liar and travel back to Utah on her own to find out the truth? I do think she strongly suspects he was lying, but after all they had been through she realizes how much Joel cares about her and that was enough. They both have what they need.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I'm almost certain they did not tell Ellie the operation would kill her (I'm not actually certain Ellie regained consciousness at all before going into surgery).

They didn't tell her but I think she would have been ready to. I mean, she does say that everything they've been through cant be for nothing.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 StrongBlackVine

@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@lostrib said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

No, just no.

Ellie is not aware of anything that happened at the hospital. I'm assuming she was prepped/rugged for surgery immediately after she was resuscitated.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 mems_1224

@StrongBlackVine said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I think she was totally willing to sacrifice herself, but what was she going to do at that point? Call Joel a liar and travel back to Utah on her own to find out the truth? I do think she strongly suspects he was lying, but after all they had been through she realizes how much Joel cares about her and that was enough. They both have what they need.

I think its pretty clear that she knows that he's lying but is willing to accept it because he's all she has and she's all he has.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By chessmaster1989
@mems_1224 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

They didn't tell her but I think she would have been ready to. I mean, she does say that everything they've been through cant be for nothing.

Hmm that quote isn't really definitive though. The more I think about it the more I wonder how much of the truth Ellie was able to figure out at the ending. I think knowing that would be very revealing.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 mems_1224

@chessmaster1989 said:
@mems_1224 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Hmm that quote isn't really definitive though. The more I think about it the more I wonder how much of the truth Ellie was able to figure out at the ending. I think knowing that would be very revealing.

I dont think she knows Joel killed everyone but I think she knows that the story he told in the truck was BS. I think that if she suspected that Joel killed Marlene she probably would have despised him for it.

Avatar image for highking_kallor
highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#171 highking_kallor
Member since 2014 • 594 Posts

@Dire_Weasel said:

@clyde46 said:

I think Ellie knows that Joel is lying....

Yeah, that was the impression I got. She's a smart girl.

You get that but don’t get that in a survivors world you shoot first and ask questions later. Not that I noticed Joel shoot first. Usually he was on the receiving end and just fighting back.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@lazerface216 said:

the ending was perfect, i hate the cliched happy endings we get in 99% of games. hell, i don't even care for stories in most games but this one had me hooked. it honestly made me depressed for about a week after playing it. it really blows my mind that naughty dog could create such a grim game.

You probably like Bioshock Infinite's ending also where 4 of her drown him to death, the character you play.

no, not at all. the ending in bioshock was not nearly as touching as the ending in the last of us.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 chessmaster1989
@mems_1224 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@mems_1224 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

I dont think she knows Joel killed everyone but I think she knows that the story he told in the truck was BS. I think that if she suspected that Joel killed Marlene she probably would have despised him for it.

I wonder a little. Assuming she knows the story is BS (which we both believe), then she also has to wonder why Joel took her away while she was still drugged and in a hospital gown. That doesn't make sense unless there was some tension or conflict between Joel and the Fireflies.

I personally think she was able to figure out roughly what happened (that the cure would have had some impact on her, and that's why Joel took her from the Fireflies). I'm also not entirely certain she would have despised Marlene given a complete narrative of what happened. But on all of this I can only speculate. I'll admit my perspective is probably biased by the fact that I'm more sympathetic towards Joel than most.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@chessmaster1989 said:
@mems_1224 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

The story, in a roundabout way, hints at that Ellie would have sacrificed herself.

Marlene telling Joel, "it's what she'd want, and you know it."

Joel's expression, after she says that, shows that he agrees, reluctantly.

Ellie's disappointment in the truck... as Joel lies and tells her the Fireflies stopped looking for a cure.

Ellie's guilt for surviving, when she tells the story of her and Rylie. Again... it hints at the state of mind.

The game does a good job at explaining this... without having to just throw it right in your face.

Finding a cure was the most important thing for Ellie.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By chessmaster1989

@xboxdone74 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@mems_1224 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

The story, in a roundabout way, hints at that Ellie would have sacrificed herself.

Marlene telling Joel, "it's what she'd want, and you know it."

Joel's expression, after she says that, shows that he agrees, reluctantly.

Ellie's disappointment in the truck... as Joel lies and tells her the Fireflies stopped looking for a cure.

Ellie's guilt for surviving, when she tells the story of her and Rylie. Again... it hints at the state of mind.

The game does a good job at explaining this... without having to just throw it right in your face.

Finding a cure was the most important thing for Ellie.

I think both Joel and Marlene were scared that Ellie would choose the other. That's why Marlene didn't give Ellie the choice, and why Joel takes her away without giving her it either. I'm not sure if Joel's expression is that he thinks she would, or that he's scared she might.

Disappointment and survivor's guilt are both reflective of her desire for a cure but not necessarily that she would have sacrificed herself for one (her choice of words, that she's still waiting for her turn, could be taken that way though).

I would agree with you that there's some suggestion that she'd be willing to sacrifice herself, but as I said earlier I'm not sure whether this would be her actual decision or whether it would simply be an ideal.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts
@underdog123x said:

@happyduds77 said:

@underdog123x said:

I think the entire game is over rated, retarded enemy AI, Joel and Ellie are extremely unlikable, especially Joel. Story is just another zombie apocalypse rehash except for it being a fungal bacteria outbreak.

This is exactly why forum posters are generally considered to be fucking retarded

So you're considering yourself to be a retard, although that explains a lot.

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#177 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

A very good ending as it didn't consist of the generic death of the protagonist.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#178  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

The ending was great ....

but should have a second campaign DLC ....

****** when Joel and Ellie arrive at uncle tommy power plant

**** nobody was home

**** suddently that weird sound ...... everyone turn into zombie including uncle tommy

**** they fight brutally with player control ellie

***** joel was bitten and immediatelly chop of his hand ....

***** they run for safety

***** the end

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

It's called a twist bro. The ending was insane.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

@clr84651 said:

I agree completely. The ending should've been where they hear of a scientist that was known to be working on a way to do the surgery without having to kill the person. They then go out to try and find him and when they finally do he's dead from the disease. They then search for his work to see if they can find it. They eventually find it, but it states that it's never been tested and is experimental. They take it to that hospital that's at the ending and they perform the surgery not knowing if she will live or die. He is praying at Ellie's bed side for her to live after the surgery and after 3 days she wakes up and the world is saved and they live happily ever after. The ending that they chose is of a selfish antisocial man that chooses to take Ellie off somewhere and live together not knowing how long they'll live and to let humanity die off.

Cliches, cliches everywhere.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

I really liked the ending, it fits.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Just to point something out, there was no certainty that sacrificing Ellie would produce a cure.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#183 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Minus a few herp derp posts this has definitely turned out to be one of the best topics I've ever read on SW. Nice job.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 lostrib

@underdog123x said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@underdog123x said:

@happyduds77 said:

@underdog123x said:

14 posts, seems legit

New forum poster

Doesn't like popular game

OMG Alt account

A vast majority of you should really consider killing yourselves. It's the only worthwhile contribution you'll ever make to society.

Okay, so you wont be around for very long

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

the ending was fantastic. however a lot of people don't realize that at the end of the game if you find the doctor's voice recording it strongly hints that the doctors have done this MULTIPLE times with no cure. so ellie might just have died anyways with no cure. but it was one of the best endings in a game that i have ever seen.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

@Eddie-Vedder said:

Just to point something out, there was no certainty that sacrificing Ellie would produce a cure.

Yeah they had sacrificed her mother before in vain.It's crystal-clear that Ellie's death would be just as much in vain.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#188 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@lostrib said:

I don't think the ending was necessarily supposed to leave you feeling good, because at the end you're not really a hero

Adam sessler had an interesting talk about the ending, I'll see if I can find it

It left me feeling like crap. Joel just takes Ellie off to who knows where for them to survive for who knows how long while the world dies off.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 clr84651

@Chutebox said:

Selfish & lame!

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 chessmaster1989
@stationplay_4 said:

the ending was fantastic. however a lot of people don't realize that at the end of the game if you find the doctor's voice recording it strongly hints that the doctors have done this MULTIPLE times with no cure. so ellie might just have died anyways with no cure. but it was one of the best endings in a game that i have ever seen.

Is that actually true? (I don't remember that voice recording)

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 clr84651

@chessmaster1989 said:
@stationplay_4 said:

Doesn't matter if there was a voice recording or not. They should've left it out and made the ending better. Lame ending to make it hopeless and Joel just to take her away.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

No, just no.

Dude, there is no world left to save.....

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 lostrib

@chessmaster1989 said:
@stationplay_4 said:

There is a voice recording, but it's been misinterpreted by some. It doesn't say there were other immune people, just that there were other infected patients

"April 28th. Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients. We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back in control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain."

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 lostrib

@clr84651 said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@stationplay_4 said:

Doesn't matter if there was a voice recording or not. They should've left it out and made the ending better. Lame ending to make it hopeless and Joel just to take her away.

Lol, the ending was great

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 chessmaster1989
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@stationplay_4 said:

There is a voice recording, but it's been misinterpreted by some. It doesn't say there were other immune people, just that there were other infected patients

"April 28th. Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients. We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back in control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain."

Ah yes I agree with you on this.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 clyde46

@StrongBlackVine said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@lostrib said:

@mems_1224 said:

@clr84651 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@clr84651 said:

No, just no.

I don't agree. I think she starts off with that viewpoint but over the course of the game she makes a few scenes where she makes her feelings for Joel very clear, I think she was going to have second thoughts over this if she wasn't drowned before she got to the hospital.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 lostrib

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@stationplay_4 said:

Though it is obvious, that they're not going to be able to just pull a cure out of ellie by removing her brain. They would actually need to study it in a lab, so a cure isn't a guarantee. They would still need to study it and determine why the fungus doesn't infect her brain like others, and then be able to replicate that in other people--of course doing this in a pretty much post-apocalypse world with less than stellar facilities and equipment/materials.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 lostrib

Random Question: The fungus works by infecting the brain, why aren't there infected animals?

Perhaps they'll be in TLOU2

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 chessmaster1989
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@lostrib said:

@chessmaster1989 said:
@stationplay_4 said:

Though it is obvious, that they're not going to be able to just pull a cure out of ellie by removing her brain. They would actually need to study it in a lab, so a cure isn't a guarantee. They would still need to study it and determine why the fungus doesn't infect her brain like others, and then be able to replicate that in other people--of course doing this in a pretty much post-apocalypse world with less than stellar facilities and equipment/materials.

Oh I was never asking about that (that as you say is obvious), just about whether it was true that there had actually been previous immune subjects.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 clyde46

@lostrib said:

Random Question: The fungus works by infecting the brain, why aren't there infected animals?

Perhaps they'll be in TLOU2

Different strains. Just look up certain diseases that are killers to animals yet are harmless to humans.