Can the WiiU even play DVDs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

The Wii could play DVDs.

WiiU can play Blurays.

but they won't actually read your movies because the programing, it will only read Wii games and WiiU games.

but why should any of that actually matter for the WiiU? at this day and age you've got to have some sort of DVD player by now and/or a Bluray player, In my house I probably have 6 devices that can play DVDs or Blurays, Not to mention the WiiU is also a TV remote, with the TVii feature if you have Cable or Satellite you could probably find a movie you want to watch rather quickly, not to mention it having Hulu Plus and Netflix, Watching a Movie on a WiiU isn't hard, it's just not a DVD or Bluray.

Listening to Music on a Game Console was always interesting ever since I found out the PS1 could do that.

But who actually turns on their Game System and listens to music? The only 2 systems to actually figured it out were the Xbox 360 and PC (and iPod to an extent). 

Otherwise, if you're really wanting the WiiU to be able to play DVDs and Blurays, you're probably going to have to wait for Nintendo to add it in some update, or just play the Movie on a seperate system.

LegatoSkyheart
This is honestly the most pathetic excuse sheeps present. I dont care if DVD players are super common...why the hell isn't the console able to play a dvd/blu ray movie if it already has the drive? dont give me the "its a game console it doesn't need to do it" bs because unless there would be an actual reason to leave this feature out, it's just completely unnaceptable that they leave it out. Its like selling a smartphone that cant play music or take pictures and say "oh well who cares there are cameras and music players everywhere why do you need one on your phone?" If it can do it, then add the feature, it's nice to have all these things on a single device rather than having a bunch of stuff that servers different purposes.
#202 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

Why is this old thread (from February) bumped?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#203 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

The Wii could play DVDs.

WiiU can play Blurays.

but they won't actually read your movies because the programing, it will only read Wii games and WiiU games.

but why should any of that actually matter for the WiiU? at this day and age you've got to have some sort of DVD player by now and/or a Bluray player, In my house I probably have 6 devices that can play DVDs or Blurays, Not to mention the WiiU is also a TV remote, with the TVii feature if you have Cable or Satellite you could probably find a movie you want to watch rather quickly, not to mention it having Hulu Plus and Netflix, Watching a Movie on a WiiU isn't hard, it's just not a DVD or Bluray.

Listening to Music on a Game Console was always interesting ever since I found out the PS1 could do that.

But who actually turns on their Game System and listens to music? The only 2 systems to actually figured it out were the Xbox 360 and PC (and iPod to an extent). 

Otherwise, if you're really wanting the WiiU to be able to play DVDs and Blurays, you're probably going to have to wait for Nintendo to add it in some update, or just play the Movie on a seperate system.

lightleggy

This is honestly the most pathetic excuse sheeps present. I dont care if DVD players are super common...why the hell isn't the console able to play a dvd/blu ray movie if it already has the drive? dont give me the "its a game console it doesn't need to do it" bs because unless there would be an actual reason to leave this feature out, it's just completely unnaceptable that they leave it out. Its like selling a smartphone that cant play music or take pictures and say "oh well who cares there are cameras and music players everywhere why do you need one on your phone?" If it can do it, then add the feature, it's nice to have all these things on a single device rather than having a bunch of stuff that servers different purposes.

I believe in Nintendos eyes it adds unnecessary cost to the console.  Companies have to pay just for the "dvd/bluay" label. 

#204 Posted by RJSaud (25 posts) -
I rather have the console to read AVI, MKV, MP4, and other video files (subs included .srt) straight from an external hard drive. I'm from a south american country where I have to download everything I watch (series, movies and anime) since the TV programming SUCKS and there's no fast internet connection to Stream what I want. I know I can watch mp4s from a computer in the same network setting up, but why would I have so many stuffs turn on just to watch a movie?
#205 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

[QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

The Wii could play DVDs.

WiiU can play Blurays.

Heirren

I believe in Nintendos eyes it adds unnecessary cost to the console.  Companies have to pay just for the "dvd/bluay" label. 

That's just dumb, come on, you telling me adding the feature would make the price sky rocket? And haven't you thought about the sales? right now the Wii u is very much useless as a game console...might as well have something to "warm the bench" while the games arrives. I know lots of people who bought PS3s to their kids/relatives only because it had a bluray player.
#206 Posted by amaneuvering (4649 posts) -

I was just wondering if it can finally play CDs and DVDs directly from the disc drive.

UNcartMe
Nope. It's just one more area in which it is a total fail.
#207 Posted by KungfuKitten (25177 posts) -

Wow are you guys from the past? You say the Wii U isn't powerful enough but in the meantime SW is busy chasing mammoths. I haven't even used a DVD for like 5 years now. In fact my next PC won't have a disc drive.

#208 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29703 posts) -

This is honestly the most pathetic excuse sheeps present. I dont care if DVD players are super common...why the hell isn't the console able to play a dvd/blu ray movie if it already has the drive? dont give me the "its a game console it doesn't need to do it" bs because unless there would be an actual reason to leave this feature out, it's just completely unnaceptable that they leave it out. Its like selling a smartphone that cant play music or take pictures and say "oh well who cares there are cameras and music players everywhere why do you need one on your phone?" If it can do it, then add the feature, it's nice to have all these things on a single device rather than having a bunch of stuff that servers different purposes.lightleggy

Even though this is an old thread.

The same argument you posed of "If it's so common, Why doesn't the WiiU have it?" can be used against you.

"If it's so common, why do you need another one?"

My Cell Phone can't take pictures or play music, it does how ever do the job of calling people and texting.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#209 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] This is honestly the most pathetic excuse sheeps present. I dont care if DVD players are super common...why the hell isn't the console able to play a dvd/blu ray movie if it already has the drive? dont give me the "its a game console it doesn't need to do it" bs because unless there would be an actual reason to leave this feature out, it's just completely unnaceptable that they leave it out. Its like selling a smartphone that cant play music or take pictures and say "oh well who cares there are cameras and music players everywhere why do you need one on your phone?" If it can do it, then add the feature, it's nice to have all these things on a single device rather than having a bunch of stuff that servers different purposes.lightleggy

That's just dumb, come on, you telling me adding the feature would make the price sky rocket? And haven't you thought about the sales? right now the Wii u is very much useless as a game console...might as well have something to "warm the bench" while the games arrives. I know lots of people who bought PS3s to their kids/relatives only because it had a bluray player.

It is sort of silly, but it's the truth. It's the way they do business, of which they rely solely on games for the most part. And really it's fair to say that most people have a DVD or bluray player, and that most people stream these days.
#210 Posted by Jack-Burton (2435 posts) -
 Who gives a shit if Wii U doesn't plays DVDs, you probably have 6 other devices that do.
#211 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

Does it need to? Nintendo has always been a pure gaming company. I think one of the last things they'd want is people watching movies on their console.

#212 Posted by OhSnapitz (19277 posts) -

Does it need to? Nintendo has always been a pure gaming company. I think one of the last things they'd want is people watching movies on their console.

Puckhog04

..that would explain all the droughts their last three consoles have experienced.  :|

#213 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

With DVDs and Blu-Rays you actually own it physically which is nice, and they're better quality.

Heirren

netflix is much higher quality than dvd.

Doubt netflix is 10mbps What about audio, does netflix offer 48khz 24-bit?
#214 Posted by vashkey (33782 posts) -
Why does it even matter? It's purpose is to play videogame, I would hope by the year 2013 you would have a DVD player by now.