Can the DS be beaten? Here's why the DS will stay dominant

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

It's so HUGE in Japan that the DS will continue to flourish.

Most of the big sellers there will be eventually localized to the west keeping the library alive and healthy. For example, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright 2, and now Lunar Knights just came out within these past two months. And within a few months later, Disney Meteos, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, and Zelda Phantom Hourglass will be out. How much cooler can you get with the DS's already appealing library?  From a developer's point of view, it's also cheaper to develop for the DS. Plus, since it's the most popular and the best selling system last year worldwide, it's just gonna keep getting better because developers would want to take advantage of the investment and profit it brings.

And to add, Pokemon alone sold over 5 million units. And when DQIX comes out, it alone will break the records for both Diamond and Pearl games. Let's not forget Final Fantasy Revnant Wings, or Final Fantasy Tactics A2. With support like this, can the DS dominance ever crack?

And if by some supernatural force the DS happens to slow down in a few years from now, all Nintendo has to do is grace the system with New Super Mario Bros. 2, Metroid Prime Hunters 2, Zelda Phantom Hourglass 2, Star Fox Command 2, Nintendogs 2, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 3, etc., etc....you get the idea. Nintendo's powerful first-party software alone will keep the DS alive and kicking (even dominating) all the way until, let's say, DS 2 comes out. Do I hear Super Smash Bros. for the DS announced by the end of this year? *wink*wink*

I don't think the DS will ever slow down as long as Nintendo and Japan is around.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
I too think DS will stay dominant but Sony hasn't really done much with the PSP yet. A price drop and a redesign will boost sales significantly I think since the system itself doesn't have bad games...just not enough to justify the price.

DS will stay in the lead by far though.
XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts
Great post!! and I fully agree.
haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts
When two most popular japanese developpers are on the same handheld (Squareenix and Nintendo) and four of the most selling franchise in japan are on the same handheld aso (pokemon,mario,final fantasy,dragon quest) it's freaking bound to succed.
nic0008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nic0008
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts
It's the games what drive the console to success and not the hardware..... I can't name any other game I would play on the PSP other than Tekken and MGS.... On the other hand I can name several others I would die to play for on the DS.
harry2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 harry2k5
Member since 2005 • 656 Posts
I too think DS will stay dominant but Sony hasn't really done much with the PSP yet. A price drop and a redesign will boost sales significantly I think since the system itself doesn't have bad games...just not enough to justify the price.

the-very-best

i agree
ryan_returns29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 ryan_returns29
Member since 2006 • 3191 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]I too think DS will stay dominant but Sony hasn't really done much with the PSP yet. A price drop and a redesign will boost sales significantly I think since the system itself doesn't have bad games...just not enough to justify the price.

harry2k5

i agree

I also agree. It's not the PSP has 'bad' games as some people say, it is because the PSP still costs way more than the DS. If Sony were to bring out a redisigned PSP (e.g. smaller, looks better) that would cost less than the current PSP instead of bringing out a new PSP that costs even more than the current one, the PSP could quite possibly catch up to the DS in sales.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
PSP has fundamental issues that a redesign couldn't fix at all or without totally alienating the people who own the current model.

• The disk format is unsuited for handheld gaming. It strains the battery and causes long load times. This can't be changed as then all the current released titles would have no use and current PSP owners wouldn't be able to play new content.
  • The controlls are poor and unable to replicate PS2 controlls. The system seriously needs a second analog stick, but again that can't be added after the fact as all current PSP owners would suddenly be unable to controll new games.
  • Homebrew and Emulation stunting game sales. The system is easy cracked and ideal for emulation and homebrew. This seems to be seriously stunting game sales.
  • Development costs. In comparison to the DS development cost on PSP is astranomical. It simply doesn't make sense for publishers to put resources on the platform when they could make a game for less cost and sell more on the DS.

Anonamous developer:

"At a GDC conference in Brighton last year, everyone walked away from the PSP. Developers had to budget for PS2 content on a handheld with a tiny userbase. Its not cost effective, (especially when the alternative DS has a massive userbase and is cheap to develop for)."

ATG1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ATG1
Member since 2004 • 274 Posts
I think you're right but in fairness the DS in the UK costs £99.99 and the PSP costs £134.99 so it's not that much more. And the PSP has the better games with 5 AAAs and 47 AAs compared to the DS's 5 AAAs (7 if you include all the versions of NIntendogs) and only 20 AAs. I just think the DS is more portable and appeals to a wider age group. I wouldn't swap my PSP for one though.
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
i think psp is little competition from the get go. its so overpriced for a handheld, it could never compete in my mind. i'm not sure anyone will ever try to go head to head with ninty in handhelds again, and so far, sony hasnt.
geodisicdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 geodisicdome
Member since 2005 • 13663 Posts
handhelds arent worth anyones time.
fartgorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fartgorilla
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts

the-very-best
They already cost the same! I think it's all about the games, and too few devs have done the system justice. There are good games but not necessarily good handheld games (Lumines is all that come to mind). A redesign will also be necessary, if not a PSP2 already.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cakeorrdeath
The PSP has the better games with 5 AAAs and 47 AAs compared to the DS's 5 AAAs (7 if you include all the versions of NIntendogs) and only 20 AAs. I just think the DS is more portable and appeals to a wider age group. I wouldn't swap my PSP for one though.ATG1

There are very few titles for the PSP that I woudln't prefer to be playing on my PS2. That combined with it's lack of portability (in terms of size, battery life and load times) is what really kills it for me.

Playing basically PS2 games on the PSPs small screen with janky controlls, whilst sat in your living room in front of your PS2 and TV.

Seems counter intuative to me.
ATG1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ATG1
Well I personally prefer a portable PS2 over a portable SNes/N64 but it's all down to personal taste. As I said, I do think the DS is more portable but apart from that, and Mario Kart DS, there's nothing that appeals to me.
especensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 especensor
Member since 2006 • 3180 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]PSP has fundamental issues that a redesign couldn't fix at all or without totally alienating the people who own the current model.

• The disk format is unsuited for handheld gaming. It strains the battery and causes long load times. This can't be changed as then all the current released titles would have no use and current PSP owners wouldn't be able to play new content.
  • The controlls are poor and unable to replicate PS2 controlls. The system seriously needs a second analog stick, but again that can't be added after the fact as all current PSP owners would suddenly be unable to controll new games.
  • Homebrew and Emulation stunting game sales. The system is easy cracked and ideal for emulation and homebrew. This seems to be seriously stunting game sales.
  • Development costs. In comparison to the DS development cost on PSP is astranomical. It simply doesn't make sense for publishers to put resources on the platform when they could make a game for less cost and sell more on the DS.

Anonamous developer:

"At a GDC conference in Brighton last year, everyone walked away from the PSP. Developers had to budget for PS2 content on a handheld with a tiny userbase. Its not cost effective, (especially when the alternative DS has a massive userbase and is cheap to develop for)."

Agree with first post and agree with you.

but i'll have to say that although homebrew is abundant on the psp. theres even more on the ds. one word : FLASHCARD. i'm not saying i use it nor am i advertising them but ROMS are abundant on the internet and people do have flashcards. with these, anybody who owns them never buys their own games.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cakeorrdeath
Well I personally prefer a portable PS2 over a portable SNes/N64 but it's all down to personal taste. As I said, I do think the DS is more portable but apart from that, and Mario Kart DS, there's nothing that appeals to me.ATG1

Thats the thing though isn't it. The PSP is a portable PS2. The DS is a DS. It has its own identity.

Fair enough the games don't appeal to you but I suspect there are lots you would like if you gave them a try.
ATG1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ATG1
[QUOTE="ATG1"]Well I personally prefer a portable PS2 over a portable SNes/N64 but it's all down to personal taste. As I said, I do think the DS is more portable but apart from that, and Mario Kart DS, there's nothing that appeals to me.cakeorrdeath

Thats the thing though isn't it. The PSP is a portable PS2. The DS is a DS. It has its own identity.

Fair enough the games don't appeal to you but I suspect there are lots you would like if you gave them a try.

It's major games though are basically spin offs / ports from the SNES and N64 era so it's not really that different. I guess the use of the stylus in certain games though gives it that something different. But taking into account eveything else that the PSP offers in terms of multimedia functionality and it's better game library I still pick the PSP.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cakeorrdeath
It's major games though are basically spin offs / ports from the SNES and N64 era so it's not really that different. ATG1

If by Major you mean sales then Nintendogs, Brain Training, Big Brain Academy,  Pokemon, Wario Ware Touched, Mario and Luigi Partners in Time all have origins in handheld gaming or are new to the DS

If you mean major in terms of quality then there are a host of truly unique titles for the DS.

Elite Beat Agents, Advanced Wars, Trauma Center, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, etc
ATG1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ATG1
[QUOTE="ATG1"]It's major games though are basically spin offs / ports from the SNES and N64 era so it's not really that different. cakeorrdeath

If by Major you mean sales then Nintendogs, Brain Training, Big Brain Academy,  Pokemon, Wario Ware Touched, Mario and Luigi Partners in Time all have origins in handheld gaming or are new to the DS

If you mean major in terms of quality then there are a host of truly unique titles for the DS.

Elite Beat Agents, Advanced Wars, Trauma Center, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, etc

I was thinking more along the lines of Mario Kart DS, the Mario platformers, Starfox, Diddy Kong Racing, Yoshi's Island etc... all of which look great though. A lot the games you mentioned aren't even AA (wario ware, Trauma Center, Brain Training, Big Brain, Phoenix Wright) or were out, as you said, on the GBA so aren't exactly new. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the DS, I've been looking at maybe getting one, but it doesn't have enough games that I want for me to justify the purchase of one.
Yuri_Volte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Yuri_Volte
Member since 2005 • 698 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]PSP has fundamental issues that a redesign couldn't fix at all or without totally alienating the people who own the current model.

Anonamous developer:

and i think besides the thinking of developers , in the user area we are talking about a different really big in prices , for explamen here PSP cost the double of a DS , and if you see it from a middle age man with a passion for gaming , is more conveniable the DS , like we say in here "3B= bueno , bonito , barato " , is like good , pretty , cheaper! :D PS: my cat also plays , that`s yours? :o
justdog11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 justdog11
Member since 2004 • 3524 Posts
Love the lower prices in the initial for software.  I just picked up Harvest Moon DS and Pokemon Ranger-- I'm set for quite awhile, and I can take it anywhere my Wii simply cannot go!  Handehelds > Consoles :P
justdog11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 justdog11
Member since 2004 • 3524 Posts

If Sony released the "PSP lite" which cut out it's more useless cost-adding features and just focused on graphically superior gameplay, then it still wouldn't beat the DS because the DS has already won way too much positive third party support in comparison.  DS now = PS2 of handhelds.  Might be technically inferior, but it has won over unit sales and third parties and therefore can be declared the winner.

...Now all we need is for Nintendo to pick up the slack on Wii and it could become king too.

her0_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 her0_54
Member since 2006 • 474 Posts
Of course the DS can be beaten! By Nintendo's next hanheld of course!
Sir_Graham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Sir_Graham
Member since 2002 • 3983 Posts

Might be technically inferior, but it has won over unit sales and third parties and therefore can be declared the winner.justdog11

It's graphically inferior but I think the touch screen is better than having a few more polygons. The same is true of the Wii vs PS3 with it's controls.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

[QUOTE="justdog11"]Might be technically inferior, but it has won over unit sales and third parties and therefore can be declared the winner.Sir_Graham

It's graphically inferior but I think the touch screen is better than having a few more polygons. The same is true of the Wii vs PS3 with it's controls.

I disagree on your last comment there. I think there is a place for games like MGS4, Oblivion, Gears of War, Resident Evil 5, Virtua Fighter 5, or more importantly Final Fantasy XIII. With games like these, a little more polygon goes a looooong way, especially a game like Gears of War and FFXIII.

But you're right about innovation in gameplay having the upper hand in some ways. So I'm not saying that the PS3 is going to beat the Wii in the long run with more beef`d out games (don't know yet), because Wii can still win this thing...too early to say.

As well as for the DS...who knows for sure why it beat Goliath Jr.? It just did.

Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
Now, there's no way the PSP will outsell the DS. It's sealed. PSP has done well, it hasn't affect the DS, but has grown by itself, maybe enough to allow a PSP2. But the DS is the clear winner.