Can Sony ever catch MS?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by getyeryayasout (11630 posts) -

Three generations in a row Xbox will have defined online MP shooters on consoles*. Will Sony ever break through with a genre defining MP shooter of their own?** *Doesn't matter that Titanfall is multiplat **KZ lol

Seriously though, all trolling aside, do you think Sony will ever be the 'go to' place for online shooters?

#2 Edited by groowagon (4636 posts) -

what? hasn't it always been CoD that defines console multiplayers?

but if this is what you mean, then yeah. Xbox has it. hands down.

edit: my personal choice for mp shooters for recent years has been Battlefield. sorry, xbox. no win in my books.

#3 Posted by kinectthedots (3383 posts) -

I can agree with you that MS has won with online shooters over PS consoles over the last 2 genrations (for halo and...well that's it) but your hype here with titanfall doesn't make any sense.

The franchise isn't exclusive to MS and the current game isn't even exclusive to just xbox one or 360, so why are you praising MS for a EA game? lol

#4 Posted by I-AM-N00B (470 posts) -

Online shooters have always been more fun to play on Xbox, because the online community is better and also the controller is better suited to shooting games in my opinion.

#5 Posted by groowagon (4636 posts) -

@I-AM-N00B said:

Online shooters have always been more fun to play on Xbox, because the online community is better and also the controller is better suited to shooting games in my opinion.

i agree somewhat on the controller, but PS3 controller is really not that much different to play with.

the community part, though... really? REALLY? both are equally mixed bag of tards and alright-dudes.

#6 Edited by getyeryayasout (11630 posts) -

@I-AM-N00B said:

Do you think Sony could EVER muster this type of praise from you? Not to put you on the spot, but it's applicable. What would it take for you to do a 180 on your 360? For me Sony would have to own a game that re-invents the FPS wheel. Do you see it happening? Personally, I don't.

#7 Posted by naz99 (2872 posts) -

@I-AM-N00B: if by online community you mean screaming foul mouthed prepubescent kids that like to come up with insults about your mum......then yeah its fucking amazing,the best ever.

#8 Edited by groowagon (4636 posts) -

i'm using this thread for my following rant.

i'm sick and tired of devs serving the bro-shooter-generation and abandoning their true ambitions. Crytek is prime example of this. they had really cool thing going with Powerstruggle mode in the first Crysis, but they abandoned it to serve CoD-kids. Powerstruggle never built a decent fanbase, because they didn't polish it enough, but it held some true promise.

everyone is too busy trying to invent the next cool CoD-clone, that they forget to think outside the box. i'm just glad we have stuff like DayZ brewing on PC. the massive crowd-funding they recieved is living proof that people are hungry for something new.

that is the reason why i'm kind of sad seeing games like Titanfall recieve so good reviews, EVEN if the reviewers THEMSELVES are saying "it's basicly the same old same old, and yes, it does play like CoD, but with a cool twist". those reviews just keep the CoD-train running.

and btw, DICE, where the f*ck is Titan Mode? you know, the best mp mode ever made? they just regressed back to the same old conquest. also missing the fact that Epic doesn't seem to be driving their Onslaught/Warfare mode in UT forward. nor UT in general, for that matter.

end of multiplayer-shooter-rant :)

edit: OH! and props for Sony from their Planetside 2! i just don't quite like their business model for it, and there's much to improve in the overall feel on the shooting mechanisms, but a right direction.

#9 Posted by j_assassin (1010 posts) -

hope sony wont have any online fps on ps4 anymore,

#10 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

Shooters have always been at home on Xbox. Sony has lost some of their genres over the years. I remember when Playstation was the place to be for sports. Now they are about equal.

So to answer the question, NO. TitanFall and Halo are at the tip of shooters. There is no equal or catching up at this point by Sony.

#11 Posted by MonsieurX (37417 posts) -

But MAG was teh awesome!

#12 Posted by cainetao11 (33977 posts) -

If the securities and exchange commission haven't caught that money grubbing company, how will one going broke? Seriously, yes they can. Why wouldn't they be able to? They have great first party studios and I for one liked KZ2 online.

#13 Posted by cainetao11 (33977 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

I can agree with you that MS has won with online shooters over PS consoles over the last 2 genrations (for halo and...well that's it) but your hype here with titanfall doesn't make any sense.

The franchise isn't exclusive to MS and the current game isn't even exclusive to just xbox one or 360, so why are you praising MS for a EA game? lol

Again, why do gamers that post here think this represents the consumer population? Last year 3 fellow soldiers asked me when does god of war ascension come out on 360? Many don't follow the exclusives and stuff we here do. So to them, Titanfall isn't on PS or WiiU they assume its exclusive.

#14 Posted by shellcase86 (3745 posts) -

I hope not. I'd rather Sony continue putting out games for different genres and not just securing FPS. I like to play games, not genres.

#15 Edited by emgesp (7590 posts) -

TitanFall 2 will most likely be multiplat. Respawn thought the XB1 was going to dominate the PS4 in NA and well they bet on the wrong horse. There is nothing Microsoft can do to keep the TitanFall franchise a Windows platform exclusive unless they outright buy Respawn.

#16 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3588 posts) -

TitanFall is one game and there's no real game to define the FPS online genre as many people have different tastes not everyone wants to go bang bang your dead with a gun or with a mech. I think online experiences should change this gen and we can see new defining multiplayer not the same ones were accustomed to, but I don't think TitanFall is going to define that genre as it's just a fun game to play online, but really doesn't bring all that much new to the table, I'd like to see new experiences on both consoles with or without FPS.

#17 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

@groowagon said:

i'm sick and tired of devs serving the bro-shooter-generation and abandoning their true ambitions. Crytek is prime example of this. they had really cool thing going with Powerstruggle mode in the first Crysis, but they abandoned it to serve CoD-kids. Powerstruggle never built a decent fanbase, because they didn't polish it enough, but it held some true promise.

everyone is too busy trying to invent the next cool CoD-clone, that they forget to think outside the box. i'm just glad we have stuff like DayZ brewing on PC. the massive crowd-funding they recieved is living proof that people are hungry for something new.

that is the reason why i'm kind of sad seeing games like Titanfall recieve so good reviews, EVEN if the reviewers THEMSELVES are saying "it's basicly the same old same old, and yes, it does play like CoD, but with a cool twist". those reviews just keep the CoD-train running.

and btw, DICE, where the f*ck is Titan Mode? you know, the best mp mode ever made? they just regressed back to the same old conquest. also missing the fact that Epic doesn't seem to be driving their Onslaught/Warfare mode in UT forward. nor UT in general, for that matter.

edit: OH! and props for Sony from their Planetside 2! i just don't quite like their business model for it, and there's much to improve in the overall feel on the shooting mechanisms, but a right direction.

Planetside 2 is an old F2P pc game that got ported to the PS4...

#18 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

Microsoft didn't invent Titanfall It's Respawn which who attached themselves to EA, that point EA made a deal with Microsoft, which in course allowed Titanfall to come to XboxOne, 360, and PC, and Like many are saying it wasn't the best deal but it seemed like the best deal at the time, I have no doubt in my mind Titanfall 2 will be 10 times better than this Beta Titanfall game and it will be completely multiplatform. Even Respawn themselves said they want it on PS4. PC is the first person shooter place to be

#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (163339 posts) -

Shooters? Might surprise you that not everyone plays them. As for MS...well the HAD Halo....had being the operative word. If one series defines everything for you then you'd have a point.

#20 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -

They WERE the go to place for shooters on xbox and the start of 360 with halo, then CoD 4 came out and curb stomped it. Since then it hasn't really mattered, people buy CoD for whatever platform they have, and pepper other shooters in between. CoD sold more on the 360 because it had a larger NA install base. Now PS is building the larger NA install base and guess which one will have the most pew pew players?

It really is that simple anymore.

#21 Posted by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

Aren't more people playing COD and BF4 on Sony systems these days? I doubt they'd need to if COD and BF keep trucking along.

#22 Edited by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

I don't play Microsoft consoles largely because they're so focused on online first-person shooters, so I hope Sony never catches up and doesn't bother trying. The gaming industry's overall focus on online shooters has, in my opinion, made games much less varied and interesting.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#23 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9880 posts) -

" defined online MP shooters on consoles"

"online MP shooters on consoles"

"shooters on consoles"

On a more serious note. No, Sony will never break through with a genre defining MP shooter of their own and it's because they never release their shooters on PC.

Halo Combat Evolve and Titanfall are on PC, where shooters should be.

"Sony will ever be the 'go to' place for online shooters?"

Yes, yes they will. The PS4 is the leader of the current console generation where a large portion of gamers will play shooter like COD, BF, Destiny etc on Sony platforms. Destiny for one is going to have a large marketing campaign behind it and it's all going to be PS4 ads. New IP + Bungie + PS4 = Success for Sony in the console business.

#24 Posted by groowagon (4636 posts) -

@superclocked said:

@groowagon said:

Planetside 2 is an old F2P pc game that got ported to the PS4...

umm yeah? still made by Sony and 2012 is not that far behind... i would safely count it as one-of-the-recent online shooters.

#25 Posted by superclocked (5864 posts) -

@groowagon: Sorry, I didn't realize that Sony developed the game. I didn't play long enough to notice, since they went with a pay to win model and all. I would much rather buy a game outright. Killzone is much more my style...

#26 Posted by VERTIGO47 (6988 posts) -

Nope not by a long shot. It may be getting there, but the reality is Sony are and will always playing catch up. Look it how they all of sudden charge for online MP. There's is no way they can improve their online infrastructure without charging some minimal fee.

MS simply has the resources and infrastructure to improve their online services, that is the reason why most FPS flourish on the XBOX platforms.

#27 Posted by groowagon (4636 posts) -

@superclocked said:

@groowagon: Sorry, I didn't realize that Sony developed the game. I didn't play long enough to notice, since they went with a pay to win model and all. I would much rather buy a game outright. Killzone is much more my style...

same. what a shame, though... it seemed like a pretty cool game.

#28 Posted by Crossel777 (6176 posts) -

Well it would of been on PS4 if EA didn't bet on Xbone being a success. Which it isn't. Poor EA. Deluded fools.

#29 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

But Kill Zone 2 was teh awesome!

Fixed.

#30 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

PC will always be my go to place for anything multiplayer.

#31 Posted by jsmoke03 (13697 posts) -

having played on both....its such a small difference. its just that for some reason, people loved paying for online last gen for xbox live. i thought that was sooo stupid. i hate how im forced to pay online now...thanks stupid lems.

#32 Edited by mariokart64fan (20741 posts) -

why does sony have to catch up to last place mind telling me ,

cause obviously nintendo and sony both out sold xbox360 , which means they were not on top at any point saying ms has best online is simply opinion not fact

#33 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

I know you meant to have the title reversed, op, so I'll forgive this once and not have the thread locked and you ip banned.

#34 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

Pretty sure COD ended up defining MP shooters

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#35 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

More people are playing COD and BF4 on PS4 than Xflop. More people will be playing Destiny on PS4 than Xflop. As long as PS4 is dominating sales it will dominate every genre so the answer is a n EASY yes.

#37 Posted by nep321a (75 posts) -

Shooters are irrelevant crap to me.

#38 Posted by jsmoke03 (13697 posts) -

@magicalclick said:

TitanFall, ZombieVSPlanet, Sunset OverDrive. Two already out. They are not on PS. I say it is not only abundant of shooters, it is a bit overkill. I mean, who in the right mind in MS contracts two shooters for XboxOne. I know I wouldn't. Someone at MS must be shooter addict.

acording to gs, garden warfare is supposed to come out on the ps3 linky

#39 Posted by KratosYOLOSwag (1827 posts) -

The game SSM was going to show off at E3 was supposed to be an online sci-fi FPS of massive proportions. The game was initially cancelled (rumours being it looked too similar to Destiny) but it's apparently being rebooted.

As long as the PS4 remains the best selling console, it will serve as an excellent place to play online games. The third party games will go where the sales are at. This is the reason EA wants to bring Titanfall to PS4.

#40 Posted by Basinboy (13460 posts) -

Should anyone other than Sony care?

Ultimately it won't matter - consoles are dying due to their limitations. I see the PC as the platform that shooter fans will go to in the future. Performance is crucial and PC does it best.

#41 Edited by starwolf474 (983 posts) -

FPS have never been a good genre for Sony. Even before Xbox existed, Sony got beat by Nintendo in the FPS genre.

I find that multi-player in general has never been Sony's strong suit. When I think of PlayStation consoles, I think of great single-player experiences, yet always behind the competition in the multi-player department. PlayStation consoles kept only 2 controller ports for two generations when everybody else had 4. And when online gaming started, Sony had no idea how to provide a great online gaming service until they started copying Xbox Live.

So no, I don't think Sony will ever catch up to Microsoft anytime soon in the FPS genre or for multi-player gaming in general.

@groowagon said:

@I-AM-N00B said:

i agree somewhat on the controller, but PS3 controller is really not that much different to play with.

the community part, though... really? REALLY? both are equally mixed bag of tards and alright-dudes.

The thing that sucks about the PlayStation online community is that for some reason they never talk online and the few times that I do hear people talking on PSN, they are usually speaking a foreign language that I don't understand. On Xbox Live, people actually talk and since the vast majority of Xbox's popularity is in English speaking countries, I'm almost always playing against people speaking the same language as me.

#42 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

Aren't more people playing COD and BF4 on Sony systems these days? I doubt they'd need to if COD and BF keep trucking along.

Yea, OP is an idiot. I just took this pic right now from bf4stats, these are the number of people playing BF4 right now....

There are more people playing BF4 on PS4 than on any other platform followed by PS3. Xbone is at the bottom of the barrel. Seems OP is doing some lem wishful thinking and yearning for the glory years of lastgen lol.

BTW Titanfall isn't an Xbone exclusive and you can bet your sweet ass Titanfall 2 will be on PS4.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
#44 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

More people play BF4 on PS4 than any other platform, and that's the only online shooter that matters.

#45 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

Gamers tend to go to MS consoles to play online shooters. But there are still great online shooters for all consoles and pc. PC has the best overall multiplayer because it's free

#46 Posted by xxgunslingerxx (4275 posts) -

@emgesp said:

TitanFall 2 will most likely be multiplat. Respawn thought the XB1 was going to dominate the PS4 in NA and well they bet on the wrong horse. There is nothing Microsoft can do to keep the TitanFall franchise a Windows platform exclusive unless they outright buy Respawn.

thats actually not true.... the respawn guys where bought out by MS like usual

one of the founders said one day some EA exec just came up to him and said its a MS exclusive for now

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/EA-made-a-bet-and-lost-keeping-Titanfall-off-the-PS4/td-p/43072543

"EA's decision to sign an exclusive deal with Microsoft for Titanfall is one that has not only been met with controversy, but also arguably cost them millions of sales of their biggest new IP. A lot of money was handed under the table, that's for certain."

#47 Posted by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

@I_can_haz said:

@misterpmedia said:

Yea, OP is an idiot. I just took this pic right now from bf4stats, these are the number of people playing BF4 right now....

There are more people playing BF4 on PS4 than on any other platform followed by PS3. Xbone is at the bottom of the barrel. Seems OP is doing some lem wishful thinking and yearning for the glory years of lastgen lol.

BTW Titanfall isn't an Xbone exclusive and you can bet your sweet ass Titanfall 2 will be on PS4.

I predict that there will not be a TitanFall 2

People forget sales - marketing cost doesnt always equal amazing profit

if there is going to be a TF2 I expect a single player. Or else still no buy from me. Hell I'd take an offline bot mode if a single player campaign is asking too much. At least if my net goes down I'll still be able to play the game I bought.

#48 Edited by PAL360 (29027 posts) -

Halo is the best exclusive shooter series, but most of my favourite shooters are multiplatform.

Titanfall looks good though, but it's not my kind of shooter. I would probably pass it even if it was on PS4.

#49 Edited by tonitorsi (8685 posts) -

And they don't need to.

They need to focus on rendering exclusive quality experiences that will provide potential buyers incentive to purchase their platform.

Heavy, smart marketing campaigns will also aid towards IP expansion.

#50 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

The real question:

When will Xbox win over PS?