Can someone tell me what innovation did sony bring to the gaming market?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

In the many years sony has been here. i just can't seem to figure out what exactly they introduced to the market, that changed gaming as a whole. i know Nintendo, and even a company like sega offered something to the market, that actually changed a part of it. im not really a sega fan, so i dont truly know what they offered, but i am there supporter. I do know sega was the first company, to make online gaming a standered.

Nintendo i know offered many things to the market, from software, to hardware, that basically innovated, or pioneer. sony's playtation brand has been out for many years, yet i dont know exactly what they truly offered to the market as a company. As a kid, i always thought of sony as a big lazy fat queen, who basically sat on her keesh and get spoon fed by her servents(third parties) while not offering much what so ever to its kingdom.

My question is. What has sony as a company introduced to the gaming industry? because i haven't seen anything, that sony done for the market, unless im a blind fanboy, which im not. (been a sony supporter for many years)

taikthebate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 taikthebate
Member since 2007 • 1427 Posts
They put together many great innovations of other companies together, it makes choices of what to buy easier.
Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts

In the many years sony has been here. i just cant seem to figure out what exactly they introduced to the market, that changed gaming as a whole. i know Nintendo, and even a company like sega offered something to the market, that actually changed a part of it. im not really a sega fan, so i dont truly know what they offered, but i am there supporter. I do know sega was the first company, to make online gaming a standered.

Nintendo i know offered many things to the market, from software, to hardware, that basically innovated, or pioneer. sony's playtation brand has been out for many years, yet i dont know exactly what they truly offered to the market as a company. As a kid, i always thought of sony as a big lazy fat queen, who basically sat on her keesh and get spoon fed by her servents(third parties) while not offering much what so ever to its kingdom.

My question is. What has sony as a company introduced to the gaming industry? because i havent seen anything, that sony done for the market, unless im a blind fanboy, which im not. (been a sony supporter for many years)

Rahnyc4
EYE TOY
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
You must be joking. You didn´t have a ps1 or a ps2? You didn´t play all the amazing first party sony games? You Didn´t own the consoles that wept the floor with the competition with amazing lineups?
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts
[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

In the many years sony has been here. i just cant seem to figure out what exactly they introduced to the market, that changed gaming as a whole. i know Nintendo, and even a company like sega offered something to the market, that actually changed a part of it. im not really a sega fan, so i dont truly know what they offered, but i am there supporter. I do know sega was the first company, to make online gaming a standered.

My question is. What has sony as a company introduced to the gaming industry? because i havent seen anything, that sony done for the market, unless im a blind fanboy, which im not. (been a sony supporter for many years)

Tnasty11

EYE TOY

:ets not forget about Dual Analog sticks.

blorg13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blorg13
Member since 2004 • 297 Posts

You must be joking. You didn´t have a ps1 or a ps2? You didn´t play all the amazing first party sony games? You Didn´t own the consoles that wept the floor with the competition with amazing lineups?Eddie-Vedder

...that's not and inovation....

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts
*crickets chirping*
Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rahnyc4
[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

Tnasty11
EYE TOY

the eye toy, i guess was new to the home, but wasn't new outside of the console industry. The eye toy kind of reminded me of that show.I think its called nick arcade, where kids stand infront of a blank screen and interact with the virtual objects on the screen. Its kind of similar to that.
Infinatey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Infinatey
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts
They were the company who made games being on discs a standard. PS1 FTW.
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts

analog! wait, no

rumble! wait, no

motion sensing controller! wait, no

nba532002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nba532002
Member since 2004 • 741 Posts

In the many years sony has been here. i just can't seem to figure out what exactly they introduced to the market, that changed gaming as a whole. i know Nintendo, and even a company like sega offered something to the market, that actually changed a part of it. im not really a sega fan, so i dont truly know what they offered, but i am there supporter. I do know sega was the first company, to make online gaming a standered.

My question is. What has sony as a company introduced to the gaming industry? because i haven't seen anything, that sony done for the market, unless im a blind fanboy, which im not. (been a sony supporter for many years)

Rahnyc4

they expanded gaming.

Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

What has Nintendo done to innovate? Analog sticks for movement and moving the camera is fine. It's personal preference, not a factual evolution of technology.

We need innovation in games, not hardware. Until virtual reality comes along, anyway. (Think The Matrix)

And what has Nintendo done to innovate in games? Wiifit? Is that what qualifies for innovative now? While we're at it, let's call Mario a fresh and invigorating IP.

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
Whatever you say about Nintendo introducing rumble (as an add-on) or the analog stick, Sony's Dual-Shock controller, with it's dual-analog setup and 4 shoulder buttons, was the foundation on which all controllers were born from last generation, and is still the template that Sony and Microsoft used for the PS3 and 360, respectively.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I'm actually no sony fan, but i acknowledge that sony innovated in how they deal with 3rd parties. Nintendo is a bit of a loner out there, and microsoft doesn't want to have to support games they aren't selling themselves
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Soulja_West

analog! wait, no

rumble! wait, no

motion sensing controller! wait, no

shoeman12

Dual analog.

johncraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 johncraven
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts
THE CELL!
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shad0ki11

THE CELL!johncraven

Not innovative.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rahnyc4

You must be joking. You didn´t have a ps1 or a ps2? You didn´t play all the amazing first party sony games? You Didn´t own the consoles that wept the floor with the competition with amazing lineups?Eddie-Vedder

name some of these games? i played almost every first party sony game on the ps1 and even ps2. None of these games were influential. i havent seen any of there games emulated by another brand. wait.. i could think of one for sure, that was grand turismo, which i could say thats where microsoft got there idea of forza motorsports series from.

Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts
high prices
anshuk20002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 anshuk20002
Member since 2004 • 3523 Posts
LITTLEBIGPLANET! alright!
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]You must be joking. You didn´t have a ps1 or a ps2? You didn´t play all the amazing first party sony games? You Didn´t own the consoles that wept the floor with the competition with amazing lineups?blorg13

...that's not and inovation....

FOr me it is, I want innovation gamewise, I want great games, sony made them that´s why they have been so succesfull, if you looking for a cool new controller get a wii and have fun with that, I´ll stick to sony and their games.

no_submission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 no_submission
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts
If it wasnt for Sony we would still be blowing in Nintendo Cartridges:lol:
Thompsonwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Thompsonwhore
Member since 2003 • 2059 Posts

If it wasnt for Sony we would still be blowing in Nintendo Cartridges:lol:no_submission

How I remember those days.

da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 da1on2
Member since 2006 • 4885 Posts
[QUOTE="Tnasty11"][QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

Soulja_West

EYE TOY

Sony created the rythm genre
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#25 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Really, as technology goes, Nintendo only popularized certain things, they didn't actually introduce them.

Digital pad, analog controls, touch screens, motion control, and force feed back all came out before Nintendo got to them.

NorthlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NorthlandMan
Member since 2007 • 2302 Posts

dual analogue

popularised 3D graphics and disc absed media

numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 numba1234
Member since 2007 • 3561 Posts
Control layout of the ps controller changed gaming for this generation and last. DVD playback, CD playback, ie a console that does more then playing games. Sony brought paparappa which was the first music game for a console. Singstar was the first karoake game made (before karoake revoloution by konami). Eyetoy created its own genre, and ps2 was the first console that could play last genration games.
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shad0ki11
Sony really hasn't brought anything new to the gaming industry besides foolishly implementing blu-ray players in every system they make. That's something you don't see every generation, but it's not innovative either.
dubvisions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dubvisions
Member since 2006 • 1815 Posts

The Cell: Yes, it has not been proven. Nor has anything else in this gen thus far except for the fact that these companies can actually get a wide variety of people to play and that MS has some reliability issues. Remember, PS3 has been out for 7 months with a start that was already a stretch behind its competition.

Blu-ray: Same as above.

The Complete Package: Two features above, reliability, total media center, can/will serve the entire family.

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rahnyc4
[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

nba532002

they expanded gaming.

that argument gets old. sony didnt expand the gaming industry. the industry expanded itself, with the inclusing of new people into this world every year, it was bound to grow. the video game market started out with a small group, but grew bigger, with each person being born into this world. it was going to happen reguardless.
HatFried

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HatFried
Member since 2006 • 704 Posts

My question is. What has sony as a company introduced to the gaming industry?

Rahnyc4

More gamers. You'd be hard pressed to find any console gamers nowadays without a PS2.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

Control layout of the ps controller changed gaming for this generation and last. DVD playback, CD playback, ie a console that does more then playing games. Sony brought paparappa which was the first music game for a console. Singstar was the first karoake game made (before karoake revoloution by konami). Eyetoy created its own genre, and ps2 was the first console that could play last genration games.numba1234

im pretty sure the sega cd could play cds

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Sony expanded the market greatly if there wasnt a ps1 the 360 wouldnt exist
legalize3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 legalize3
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts

If it wasnt for Sony we would still be blowing in Nintendo Cartridges:lol:no_submission

you nailed it gg

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Soulja_West

:lol: QFT. I hated doing that.

0starter0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 0starter0
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts
They didn't innovate, they tried to perfect. (though the analog placement is horrid)
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

[QUOTE="no_submission"]If it wasnt for Sony we would still be blowing in Nintendo Cartridges:lol:Soulja_West

*cough* Sega CD *cough*

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Soulja_West

Sony really hasn't brought anything new to the gaming industry besides foolishly implementing blu-ray players in every system they make. That's something you don't see every generation, but it's not innovative either.Shad0ki11

It was a good ideal of their part considering that if it wasn't for them adding BLU RAY to the PS3, I don't think that blu ray would be beating HD DVD right now so it wasn't foolish of them.

herozs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 herozs
Member since 2006 • 804 Posts
[QUOTE="Tnasty11"][QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

Soulja_West

EYE TOY

CD

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rahnyc4
I'm actually no sony fan, but i acknowledge that sony innovated in how they deal with 3rd parties. Nintendo is a bit of a loner out there, and microsoft doesn't want to have to support games they aren't selling themselvesGunSmith1_basic
they innovated by being the first to throw money around, to get exclusives? because if i remember, it was sega who was gaining respect, and having a good relationship with third parties. sony started the whole money throwing around, with the resident evil exclusive, even though it was a short period of time.
0starter0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 0starter0
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts

[QUOTE="no_submission"]If it wasnt for Sony we would still be blowing in Nintendo Cartridges:lol:Soulja_West

Lol.

Funny, but can't be taken seriously. Sega had CD before Sony and Nintendo was trying to get CD.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Full Backwards compatibliity to the gaming market
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
[QUOTE="Soulja_West"]

[QUOTE="no_submission"]If it wasnt for Sony we would still be blowing in Nintendo Cartridges:lol:thirstychainsaw

*cough* Sega CD *cough*

Did they popularize it?

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
[QUOTE="Rahnyc4"]

nba532002

they expanded gaming.

That my friend, is probably not true. SNES, Genesis and the TurboGrafxboth sold 90 million combined. And the vaporware consoles at the time + Them = 5th Generation sales. No expanding, just gathering.

Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Soulja_West

[QUOTE="numba1234"]Control layout of the ps controller changed gaming for this generation and last. DVD playback, CD playback, ie a console that does more then playing games. Sony brought paparappa which was the first music game for a console. Singstar was the first karoake game made (before karoake revoloution by konami). Eyetoy created its own genre, and ps2 was the first console that could play last genration games.warmaster670

im pretty sure the sega cd could play cds

It flopped and didn't become standard. Keyword STANDARD.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Shad0ki11
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="Soulja_West"]

[QUOTE="no_submission"]If it wasnt for Sony we would still be blowing in Nintendo Cartridges:lol:ice144

*cough* Sega CD *cough*

Did they popularize it?

Starting the trend counts more than popularizing it.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
They were the company who made games being on discs a standard. PS1 FTW. Infinatey
Sega.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts

[QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]I'm actually no sony fan, but i acknowledge that sony innovated in how they deal with 3rd parties. Nintendo is a bit of a loner out there, and microsoft doesn't want to have to support games they aren't selling themselvesRahnyc4
they innovated by being the first to throw money around, to get exclusives? because if i remember, it was sega who was gaining respect, and having a good relationship with third parties. sony started the whole money throwing around, with the resident evil exclusive, even though it was a short period of time.

Rofl get your facts straight. Sony has always said they will not buy third parties. Where'd you get the "money throwing around" from?

da1on2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 da1on2
Member since 2006 • 4885 Posts
Handheld Consoles and open consumer development