Can someone explain what was so great about HALF LIFE 1?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Persistantthug
Member since 2009 • 1420 Posts

I'm asking because on a different board, someone said Half Life 1 was "the mother of all great games you play today" when referencing it's "greatness". Now, I remember playing GOLDENEYE and thinking it was awesome and then a few years later I got around to playing Half Life 1, unfortunately, I never finished it because, truthfully, I got a little bored with it. 9 years later I got around to playing Half Life 2 on my PS3, and I do like it....But I'm not sure If I like it enough to go back and play HL1 now.

Anyways, maybe you can clue me in on why HL1 is so revered because I never quite "got there", if you know what I'm saying.

Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

Back when half life came out shooters were basically mindless shoot em ups where you ran trying to shoot off as many faces of demons as you could. Half life was one of the first games to implement a plot, and really give you a driving force for your actions. With half life you werent just playing for the gun play, but you wanted to know what went wrong and black mesa and how you were going to stop the madness that you caused.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

I'm asking because on a different board, someone said Half Life 1 was "the mother of all great games you play today" when referencing it's "greatness". Now, I remember playing GOLDENEYE and thinking it was awesome and then a few years later I got around to playing Half Life 1, unfortunately, I never finished it because, truthfully, I got a little bored with it. 9 years later I got around to playing Half Life 2 on my PS3, and I do like it....But I'm not sure If I like it enough to go back and play HL1 now.

Anyways, maybe you can clue me in on why HL1 is so revered because I never quite "got there", if you know what I'm saying.

Persistantthug

Well back in 1998 Half Life was a break through and did things that games didn't do at that time.

It's hard to see that unless you played a lot of game before half life at the time those games were released then played half life when it was first released.

There are some SNES and NES games that I thought were amazing but to anyone trying to play them first in the present it won't look that way.

kurama2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kurama2002
Member since 2005 • 1414 Posts
I recently tried to play Half Life 1 and it felt like and out dated old game. You have to experience half life 1 at the time it came out to know why it was great. Same thing with Halo 1.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I haven't played it recently, but... as a kid, it was one of the first FPSs I played, and man, I have fond memories of it. Note to self: replay it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
This is why I can't wait for Black Mesa: Source
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

creative level design, creative storytelling, fun interesting settings, mysterious science fiction plot, voiceless/faceless main character, platforming, interesting/funny NPC's, etc.

all without "level 1-20", mini-bosses, scores, "hell levels", demon's from hell, shoot 'em up uncreative levels designs, boring "brown" castle levels, etc.

it basically flipped the fps genre upside down

it also spawned Counterstrike

Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Persistantthug

creative level design, creative storytelling, fun interesting settings, mysterious science fiction plot, voiceless/faceless main character, platforming, interesting/funny NPC's, etc.

all without "level 1-20", mini-bosses, scores, "hell levels", demon's from hell, shoot 'em up uncreative levels designs, boring "brown" castle levels, etc.

88mphSlayer

I don't know...

Alot of that sorta sounds like GOLDENEYE 007 on my trusty ol N64. :?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I don't know, I played the beginning and got bored.
88mphSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 88mphSlayer
Member since 2010 • 3201 Posts

[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

Persistantthug

I don't know...

well, the game is really dirt cheap, why not just play it?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I think half life was one of the first FPS that had cinematic scripted events along with stuff like puzzle solving, story, and physics.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Half-life 1 basically revolutionized scripted events in FPS.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

Persistantthug

I don't know...

There were games like that even before Goldeneye, like Terminator: Future Shock, the difference is that Goldeneye and the rest of them went by largely ignored by other developers. It was Half-life that made other devs copy this kind of gameplay. It's nothinng new actualy...hardly any truly influential games were innovatuive.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

I'm asking because on a different board, someone said Half Life 1 was "the mother of all great games you play today" when referencing it's "greatness".

Persistantthug

Well, probably that guy plays only FPSs cuz that's what HL revolutionized... that I can agree with.-

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

Its called play the game when it came out, because back then it was way ahead of its time and basically set the standard for all shooters today. Don't play it now and say it was crap, because nowadays the original Half Life isn't anything special, but compared to other games back in 1998 it kicks their ass.

disismycomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 disismycomp
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts
I can't honestly change your mind if you are recently getting into it. Though when I played it back then as a kid, there was really nothing else like it. I honestly can't explain the feeling and the adrenalin I got playing through the game.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

'Half-Life is the closest thing to a revolutionary step the genre has ever taken.' -GameSpot 94/100

'It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life has done just that.' -All Game Guide 100/100

'I have yet to play a more immersive game period' -Gamers Depot 100/100

'A masterpiece of epic proportions, the "Saving Private Ryan" of first-person shooters.' -Gamepro 100/100

'This is The Big One, and it's even better than we could've hoped.' -PC Gamer 97/100

'It is a tour de force in game design, the definitive single player game in a first person shooter.' -IGN 95/100

'It's atmosphere and unique style have changed the face of PC gaming.' -Game Over Online 94/100

'The best FPS ever created. Makes everything else pale in comparison.' -PC Gameworld 96/100

'It combines a balance of tense action, puzzle solving, story, and fun that has yet to be equaled on in the FPS arena.' -Armchair Empire 96/100

tl;dr It was the first of its kind to combine immerseful story telling that is never broken up, impressive AI, scripted events, excellent graphics and easy modification. You had to play it when it first came out to truly appreciate it.

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

Persistantthug
Compare it to other FPS's that came out at the same time and Half Life was life years ahead of them. Same with Half Life 2. Going back and playing a game for the first time a few years later doesn't do it justice. It would be like playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and then going back and playing Grand Theft Auto III and wondering why it isn't as good....
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="88mphSlayer"]

Persistantthug

I don't know...

Golden eye is great but HALF LIFE MADE EVERY FPS TODAY

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

I haven't played it recently, but... as a kid, it was one of the first FPSs I played, and man, I have fond memories of it. Note to self: replay it.

psn8214
Black Mesa Mod :P
Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Persistantthug

Um...here's what I'm getting at.....How is HALF LIFE 1 all revolutionary, revered, and awe inspiring (in its day) if GOLDENEYE did it first?

GoldenEye 007 is a 1997 first-person shooter video game....

Half-Life is a science fiction first-person shooter...First released by Sierra Studios on November 19, 1998

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Half-Life had great, almost surreal atmosphere and storytelling. 007 on the other hand was a bit uninspired.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vesica_Prime

Um...here's what I'm getting at.....How is HALF LIFE 1 all revolutionary, revered, and awe inspiring (in its day) if GOLDENEYE did it first?

Half-Life is a science fiction first-person shooter...First released by Sierra Studios on November 19, 1998

Persistantthug

Goldeneye was broken up by mission briefings and third person scenes, taking you out of the immersion. Half-Life didn't, you remained in first person view AT ALL TIMES.

The AI was phenomenal. If you hid behind something, soldiers threw grenades to flush you out. You damage a soldier, they retreat and shout 'MEDIC!'. You hear them chat about their mission. They ran behind cover and they panic when their leader gets killed.

Scripted events that ranged from something as simple as a zombie breaking a door or a soldiers breaking down a ceiling and than descending with ropes to a nuclear reactor.

Followers that actually were useful, scientists were used as keys to get to areas that are otherwise inaccessible or security guards can help you fight.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#24 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Don't play any Half-Life game on a playstation.
Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Persistantthug

Don't play any Half-Life game on a playstation. biggest_loser

HALF LIFE 2 on the PS3.....

Why not?

And for that matter,

Why not Half LIFE 1 on the PS2? If Half Life ran on 1998 computers, then most certainly it would run just fine on a PS2. However, personally, I never had a PS2. *shrug*

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

Immersive Storytelling, as Vesica_Prime said.
Half-Life never took the player out of the role for a second. They were Gordon Freeman from start to finish. Half-Life also had a build up to the action, making Black Mesa seem like a far more realistic locale. The game also pioneered scripted sequences, and used them to help tell the story, instead of using cut-scenes of one form or another.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vesica_Prime

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]Don't play any Half-Life game on a playstation. Persistantthug

HALF LIFE 2 on the PS3.....

Why not?

And for that matter,

Why not Half LIFE 1 on the PS2? If Half Life ran on 1998 computers, then most certainly it would run just fine on a PS2. However, personally, I never had a PS2. *shrug*

As you stated in a previous thread.

...Valve obviously "can't" do PS3 games to save their life

Persistantthug

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

Persistantthug
Personally I never thought any of the Half Life games were anywhere near as good as most people seem to think they are. The graphics in the new ones are pretty nice (and were in the first one for it's time too), the controls are usually good, because it's usually on PC, and the stories are usually good (which I personally think is where they game gets most of it's praise), but outside of that I find them a bit linear and forced and I never really like too much guiding in FPS games. They are great games for sure but personally I think Doom 1/2, Duke Nukem 3D, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Halo etc were and are all better and more fun games for many different reasons. Counter Strike however was and is frikin awesome and imo still the best multi-player online game I have ever played.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Persistantthug
What DID Goldeneye do first that Half Life did?
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Goldeneye did nothing even close to what Half Life 1 did. Poor levels, poor environments, poor AI, no real immersion to the game world/narrative. Half Life 1 now suffers from what OoT suffers from, and what games like GE and PD suffer from. They can't beat time. SOoner or later someone will take the stuff done in those games and improve upon them. Half Life 1 although in my opinion still holds up better than alot of older games from its era. But to really appreciate what made Half Life 1 so amazing. Well to be honest. It's really one of those "you had to be there" moments. What it did, at the time it did it is what makes it such a legendary title for the genre. It's essentially the birth of the modern shooter. The Halos, the Call of Dutys, the Killzones, the Resistances, the whatever you want to name has had some Half Life influence to it.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
The amazing thing about Half-Life was that everything was connected - instead of going through one or more disconnected levels, with the occasional cinematic, both gameplay and story were delivered as a single stream, interrupted only by the occasional Loading... prompt. Granted, System Shock did the same thing earlier, but I think about 11 other people played that.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Persistantthug

The only thing Goldeneye did "firsy" was localized damage system, everything else it had was done by other games before

And Half-life wasn't revered because it brought new stuff to the table, it was revered because it brought all of it and made it work beautifuly. Goldeneye had similiar elements, but the execution of them was justn nowhere near HL level

antifanboyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 antifanboyftw
Member since 2007 • 2214 Posts
Goldeneye did nothing even close to what Half Life 1 did. Poor levels, poor environments, poor AI, no real immersion to the game world/narrative. Half Life 1 now suffers from what OoT suffers from, and what games like GE and PD suffer from. They can't beat time. SOoner or later someone will take the stuff done in those games and improve upon them. Half Life 1 although in my opinion still holds up better than alot of older games from its era. But to really appreciate what made Half Life 1 so amazing. Well to be honest. It's really one of those "you had to be there" moments. What it did, at the time it did it is what makes it such a legendary title for the genre. It's essentially the birth of the modern shooter. The Halos, the Call of Dutys, the Killzones, the Resistances, the whatever you want to name has had some Half Life influence to it. jg4xchamp
for its time, the AI was (at least on consoles) exceptional. as for the levels, who could forget the dam and silo. classics. immersion? you were James *^$#ing Bond! back then, he was still cool. don't trash GoldenEye. It was awesome (for its time).
SLI_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SLI_Gamer
Member since 2010 • 291 Posts

i think its the most overratted game of all time, neither i think the character gordon freeman stands for PC gaming as whole. There are much older oldschool titles like Warcraft or Doom.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Your question is kind of like asking was was so great about Studio 54 or Woodstock.

You had to be there. It was a great thing when it happened.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="psn8214"]

NVIDIATI

Black Mesa Mod :P

I've been waiting for that for ages, when is it coming out?

Dataleak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dataleak
Member since 2010 • 1737 Posts

Lol this guy. Lets see. Ingame scripted events, check. Story telling that doesn't shove the story down your throat with cutscenes, check. 1 huge level integrated, meaning no magically appearing from one scene to the next, check. AI that doesn't just stand there shooting at you, check. Goldeneye was a cool game, but compared to Half Life? :? Half Life paved the way for all current generation FPS to come, Goldeneye was just a good game.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

If you go back and play it now its not so great, but it was for its time...just like every mario game you play. The first mario was awesome for its time...but if you go back and play it, sure its fun to pick up and run through, but its got no depth etc.

Dataleak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dataleak
Member since 2010 • 1737 Posts

If you go back and play it now its not so great, but it was for its time...just like every mario game you play. The first mario was awesome for its time...but if you go back and play it, sure its fun to pick up and run through, but its got no depth etc.

SRTtoZ

I played it again a few months back on my Laptop and I honestly believe it's still one of the best, immersive shooters I've ever played. Goldeneye.. not so much. :lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Half-Life had great, almost surreal atmosphere and storytelling. 007 on the other hand was a bit uninspired.

Orchid87

Definatly agree, it was surreal. The G-Man, just everything was weird nothing was conventional, not like a giant space oprah or like military alien style. It did something only games could do

cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

[QUOTE="Orchid87"]

OB-47

Definatly agree, it was surreal. The G-Man, just everything was weird nothing was conventional, not like a giant space oprah or like military alien style. It did something only games could do

I dont think anything about the story was very videogame specific, but the storytelling was indeed something that could only be done through games.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
I think that Half-Life was much more amazing when it was released than it is now. If you look back on it now, most of what made it unique at the time has become standard for the genre. It was a great game, but the genre has since evolved passed it. As a side note, I'd say that Deus Ex was MUCH better than the first Half-Life. I'm just saying...
Trigger_Hppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Trigger_Hppy
Member since 2007 • 847 Posts

Everyone knows that Half Life is a carbon copy of DOOM, and Half Life 2 is a carbon copy of Halo, end of discussion.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
i never got around playing half-life all those years ago,but from what people have said about the series it sounds like it was loved for having a epic story with alot of twists.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
All modern FPS owe their design to it. Comparing Goldeneye to it is a sacrilege and mostly done by console gamers.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#47 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
[QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I think that Half-Life was much more amazing when it was released than it is now. If you look back on it now, most of what made it unique at the time has become standard for the genre. It was a great game, but the genre has since evolved passed it. As a side note, I'd say that Deus Ex was MUCH better than the first Half-Life. I'm just saying...

But you could that about any game and evolution. Its a superfluous argument because you've just acknowledged its influence. Secondly: Deus Ex and HL is like comparing chalk and cheese. DX1 is more of an RPG than an all out action game. HLs combat is league ahead if u want to compare it in that sense (don't)
Avatar image for positivebalance
positivebalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 positivebalance
Member since 2010 • 2352 Posts

amazing set pieces, outstanding A.I. and intense, visceral action, no cutscenes meant you were never taken out of the action, crowbar. really a fantastic game. i wish BM:S would finally get here.

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="jalexbrown"]I think that Half-Life was much more amazing when it was released than it is now. If you look back on it now, most of what made it unique at the time has become standard for the genre. It was a great game, but the genre has since evolved passed it. As a side note, I'd say that Deus Ex was MUCH better than the first Half-Life. I'm just saying...

But you could that about any game and evolution. Its a superfluous argument because you've just acknowledged its influence. Secondly: Deus Ex and HL is like comparing chalk and cheese. DX1 is more of an RPG than an all out action game. HLs combat is league ahead if u want to compare it in that sense (don't)

Half-Life certainly did have a major impact on the genre, but that doesn't mean that other games haven't done its best elements better. Half-Life 2, in my opinion, exceeded the first in every way; it took everything good about Half-Life, and it upped the ante. I really haven't played a huge number of FPS games since Half-Life 2, so I can't judge any of the newer first-person shooters. As for comparing Half-Life and Deus Ex, you're right: it's apples and oranges. I just threw that out there, because...well, Deus Ex is awesome.
Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Half-Life 2, in my opinion, exceeded the first in every way; it took everything good about Half-Life, and it upped the ante.jalexbrown

Except for enemies' AI. Soldiers in HL were badass, soldiers in HL2 are bullet-sponges.