Can Nintendo save E3?

  • 68 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#1 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12862 posts) -

After MS dropped the ball it looks like it's up to Nintendo to pick it up this year. I think they can do it if Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3, Bayonetta 3 and Link's Awakening all look great and they drop 1 or 2 big surprises in there like a Metroid Prime Trilogy or Paper Mario.

What do you guys think?

Avatar image for henrythefifth
#2 Posted by henrythefifth (2477 posts) -

If thats what they got, then no. I mean dont they got anything but sequels?

Still... E3 has been real letdown this year. Perhaps the worst in decades. No wonder Sony skips these lacklustre events.

Avatar image for tdkmillsy
#3 Posted by tdkmillsy (3095 posts) -

Save it from Sony not being there :) I think MS and Nintendo already did that by showing up.

MS was a decent show and I expect Nintendo to be good also.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#4 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12862 posts) -
@tdkmillsy said:

Save it from Sony not being there :) I think MS and Nintendo already did that by showing up.

MS was a decent show and I expect Nintendo to be good also.

Did MS really show up? I must have missed it. I know 3rd parties showed up to their conference.

Avatar image for tdkmillsy
#5 Posted by tdkmillsy (3095 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@tdkmillsy said:

Save it from Sony not being there :) I think MS and Nintendo already did that by showing up.

MS was a decent show and I expect Nintendo to be good also.

Did MS really show up? I must have missed it. I know 3rd parties showed up to their conference.

60 games and 14 exclusives is way more than Sony showed.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#6 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4579 posts) -
@tdkmillsy said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@tdkmillsy said:

Save it from Sony not being there :) I think MS and Nintendo already did that by showing up.

MS was a decent show and I expect Nintendo to be good also.

Did MS really show up? I must have missed it. I know 3rd parties showed up to their conference.

60 games and 14 exclusives is way more than Sony showed.

60 games you can play anywhere else. Nice of MS to show up with a Youtube game trailer reel.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#7 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (12862 posts) -
@tdkmillsy said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@tdkmillsy said:

Save it from Sony not being there :) I think MS and Nintendo already did that by showing up.

MS was a decent show and I expect Nintendo to be good also.

Did MS really show up? I must have missed it. I know 3rd parties showed up to their conference.

60 games and 14 exclusives is way more than Sony showed.

They didn't have 14 exclusives. 14 first party games. Which is also misleading because some were just DLC expansions.

The Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3 and Psychonauts 2 were counted in those 14. The first 2 are on PS4 and the latter is on PS4 and Switch. They padded the number out with State of Decay 2 DLC, more Minecraft shit (also available everywhere else), Gears POP (a mobile game), Lego Forza DLC.

Most of the other games we already knew about - Gears 5, Halo Infinite, Ori 2, Battletoads. The new announcements were Bleeding Edge, Flight Simulator and an Age of Empires remaster. Real compelling stuff, huh?

Keep throwing numbers around though because it sounds much better than actually naming off these weak looking games.

Avatar image for Pedro
#8 Posted by Pedro (34448 posts) -

Sony flopping last year and skipping this year have the Sony fannies searching for a purpose. LOL

Avatar image for djoffer
#9 Posted by djoffer (1314 posts) -

@Pedro: haha yeah the meltdown of the cows is hilarious:)

Anyone this is easily the best E3 in ages, release date for cyperpunk 2077, announcement of BG 3, ff7 remake release date, game pass for pc etc etc and we are not even halfway!

Avatar image for Pedro
#10 Posted by Pedro (34448 posts) -

@djoffer: I can't say its the best. It just feels like a typical E3. People are caught up in the feeling they used to get from E3 and hoping to recapture that past feeling that will never happen again.

Avatar image for osan0
#11 Posted by osan0 (15416 posts) -

depends on what nintendo decides to turn up with. will pokemon make a showing? i know they had a direct for it last week (and it's looking good) so i'm doubtful if it will make a showing at E3 itself.

MP4 is on hiatus since development had to be restarted. animal crossing is great and a perfect game for the switch but its not really the type of game that wins an E3. remastering the trilogy is also not an E3 winner.

they may have new hardware to show: lots of rumours of a switch mini and a switch pro. they may be the only ones to show hardware this year....could be interesting.

i think it will come down to dropping a surprise megaton though if they are to get people excited. i just cant think what they would have up their sleeve to do it.

....a new kid icarus and Fzero. do it nintendo. DO IT!!!

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#12 Posted by Ghosts4ever (9790 posts) -

Doom Slayer already saved the E3 from mess.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#13 Edited by KungfuKitten (26545 posts) -

I dunno I'd keep the expectations low because there is no telling what Nintendo does. They have material but it feels like they are not betting on E3. No hardware announcements. And they have many Directs in a year. So they may save stuff for future Directs. We'll see. I think Nintendo's conference could be excellent or barely putting in effort.

That said, here is my list of games at E3 shown so far that interest me (things that were new to me are in bold):

  • Outer Worlds
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Cyberkeanu 2077
  • Spiritfarer
  • MS Flight Simulator
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Dragonball Z Kakarot
  • Way to the Woods
  • Phantasy Star Online 2
  • Tales of Arise
  • Elden Ring
  • Halo Infinite
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Deathloop
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Fall Guys - Ultimate Knockout
  • Devolver Bootleg
  • Enter the Gungeon - House of the Gundead
  • The Messenger Picnic Panic
  • Metal Wolf Chaos XD

I wouldn't call that bad.

Avatar image for tdkmillsy
#14 Posted by tdkmillsy (3095 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@tdkmillsy said:

Save it from Sony not being there :) I think MS and Nintendo already did that by showing up.

MS was a decent show and I expect Nintendo to be good also.

Did MS really show up? I must have missed it. I know 3rd parties showed up to their conference.

60 games and 14 exclusives is way more than Sony showed.

They didn't have 14 exclusives. 14 first party games. Which is also misleading because some were just DLC expansions.

The Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3 and Psychonauts 2 were counted in those 14. The first 2 are on PS4 and the latter is on PS4 and Switch. They padded the number out with State of Decay 2 DLC, more Minecraft shit (also available everywhere else), Gears POP (a mobile game), Lego Forza DLC.

Most of the other games we already knew about - Gears 5, Halo Infinite, Ori 2, Battletoads. The new announcements were Bleeding Edge, Flight Simulator and an Age of Empires remaster. Real compelling stuff, huh?

Keep throwing numbers around though because it sounds much better than actually naming off these weak looking games.

and how many did Sony show??

Just because they had previously been rumoured or spoken about doesn't make them less compelling.

Even taking the "padded out games" out its still way more than Sony.

They had something for everyone (possibly missing a sports element), come Nintendo conference you can say the same thing, games we already know about, games that some wont like or get, but most likely something for everyone.

On top of the usual's, I'm looking forward to Flight sim, Age of empires, Blair Witch, The Legend of Write looks interesting and the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is pretty awesome.

They could have done a shorter conference and avoided some of the padding, but they where first to announce some of the multiplat games and wanted to make a point about some games coming to X (PSO2 for example)

Overall an above average conference.

Avatar image for mojito1988
#15 Posted by mojito1988 (3604 posts) -

Sony are the only ones that should be ashamed at this point. Not even showing up? Lame.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#16 Posted by SecretPolice (35254 posts) -

@tdkmillsy:

Tons of great stuff announced and yeah, MS Flight Sim and PSO2 were huge announcements in my book. :D

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#17 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (29000 posts) -

How exactly did MS drop the ball?

Gamers are so dramatic...this is why nobody wants to do E3 anymore.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#18 Posted by Archangel3371 (27910 posts) -

E3 doesn’t need to be “saved” as far as I’m concerned. I very much enjoyed Microsoft’s E3 conference. I am certainly hoping for a very good E3 showing from Nintendo and I’m sure that they will deliver the goods.

Avatar image for speedytimsi
#19 Posted by speedytimsi (956 posts) -

I think E3 is really boring this year. There's wasn't really this "WOW" factor other than Keanu showing up.

I saw Bethesda Fallout 76 Battle Royale and I laughed so hard that I realized this is where all the collector's edition and canvas bag "fund" went to instead of fixing the game.

Avatar image for fedor
#20 Posted by Fedor (4911 posts) -

Yes, Nintendo will save it.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#21 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6352 posts) -

For me all they need to show is Metroid Prime 4 gameplay and yes they have won as aside from that game and Cyberpunk there isn't much else I am looking forward to until the next Elder Scrolls. No metroid gameplay?... Then I don't care.

Honestly trailer should only be acceptable if its a announcement at E3 if you show a trailer for a game you announced already then go f*** your self is usually the thought that runs through my head when watching these conferences.

Avatar image for tormentos
#22 Posted by tormentos (29026 posts) -

@tdkmillsy said:

60 games and 14 exclusives is way more than Sony showed.

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

All those games were multiplatforms.

But but but platform exclusive..

@Pedro said:

Sony flopping last year and skipping this year have the Sony fannies searching for a purpose. LOL

Sony's flute guy was more entertaining than MS borefest this year.

Avatar image for adsparky
#23 Edited by adsparky (1380 posts) -

In terms of content yeah, not that this has been a particularly bad E3, just not really great, but in terms of spectacle, no since they don't have a conference.

Avatar image for AdobeArtist
#24 Posted by AdobeArtist (25156 posts) -

Will Nintendo have Keanu on their stage for a Keanu character reveal in one of their games? No? You're sure of that? Ohhhhhhhhhh kay then.

E3 was already saved by Microsoft. #DealWithIt.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (33312 posts) -

Nintendo are always saving console gaming.

Let the dudes have a rest.

Avatar image for tdkmillsy
#26 Posted by tdkmillsy (3095 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@tdkmillsy said:

60 games and 14 exclusives is way more than Sony showed.

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

All those games were multiplatforms.

But but but platform exclusive..

@Pedro said:

Sony flopping last year and skipping this year have the Sony fannies searching for a purpose. LOL

Sony's flute guy was more entertaining than MS borefest this year.

Platform Exclusive by system wars definition is exclusive.

Get with the times my friend. You sound weak ass claiming the same thing again when its been sorted.

Your better than that.

Avatar image for sealionact
#27 Posted by sealionact (3893 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: Mmm....Sony's 4 game teasers for games without a release date last year still hurting i see.....

Avatar image for ToScA-
#28 Posted by ToScA- (5775 posts) -

I've spent the past hour watching the PC show. E3 doesn't need saving, this shit is goooood!!

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#29 Posted by MirkoS77 (14125 posts) -

Nintendo can't even save itself, much less E3.

Avatar image for fedor
#30 Posted by Fedor (4911 posts) -

@MirkoS77: They seem to be doing just fine.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#31 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4579 posts) -
@Bread_or_Decide said:

How exactly did MS drop the ball?

Gamers are so dramatic...this is why nobody wants to do E3 anymore.

If it's anything like this MS show, then why even bother? It's not even necessary anymore. Everybody's trying to squeeze blood from a turnip to keep people excited when this info should be spread throughout the year anyway.

@sealionact said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Mmm....Sony's 4 game teasers for games without a release date last year still hurting i see.....

No, no everything is fine, actually. Death Stranding currently has a release date, Shenmue III has a release date, FF:R has a release date... things are good in Sonyland. After that Xbox conference, you really don't have anything to taunt PS4 owners with. It's like bragging that you shit the bed. Nobody wants in on that. We're good.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#32 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18854 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Sony flopping last year and skipping this year have the Sony fannies searching for a purpose. LOL

Yep. Cows=

Avatar image for Ghost120x
#33 Posted by Ghost120x (5378 posts) -

E3 is so bad this year. At the very least there will be actual GAMEPLAY shown.

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
#34 Posted by ProtossRushX (5331 posts) -

Nintendo will show some gameplay but I doubt it'll be better than FF7 remake

Avatar image for Ant_17
#35 Posted by Ant_17 (12418 posts) -

If they show the cheap Switch, yes.

Otherwise i don't care for 30 minutes of Pokemon.

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#36 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (956 posts) -

Thank you to Square Enix for saving E3.

Avatar image for dagubot
#37 Posted by dagubot (1310 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

How exactly did MS drop the ball?

Gamers are so dramatic...this is why nobody wants to do E3 anymore.

If it's anything like this MS show, then why even bother? It's not even necessary anymore. Everybody's trying to squeeze blood from a turnip to keep people excited when this info should be spread throughout the year anyway.

@sealionact said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Mmm....Sony's 4 game teasers for games without a release date last year still hurting i see.....

No, no everything is fine, actually. Death Stranding currently has a release date, Shenmue III has a release date, FF:R has a release date... things are good in Sonyland. After that Xbox conference, you really don't have anything to taunt PS4 owners with. It's like bragging that you shit the bed. Nobody wants in on that. We're good.

After how long? Death Stranding was announced in 2016. Shenmue III & Final Fantasy VII both were announced back in 2015. Regardless, all those games will look mighty nice on PC once they release; look forward to playing 2 of them. Don't really care for Shenmue III.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#38 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4579 posts) -
@dagubot said:

After how long? Death Stranding was announced in 2016. Shenmue III & Final Fantasy VII both were announced back in 2015. Regardless, all those games will look mighty nice on PC once they release; look forward to playing 2 of them. Don't really care for Shenmue III.

You act like Sony hasn't had a bunch of GotY-level titles before all this. This is why these games can take their time, because there's been enough hot games filling up the slots to where PS4 owners didn't have to be as thirsty as Xbots when it came to games.

Avatar image for sealionact
#39 Posted by sealionact (3893 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: You see? Even you thought last years Sony e3 was forgettable. Because you forgot which games were featured, and you missed the part where I said "last year".

Death Stranding had no release date. Last of us 2 had no release date. Ghost still has no release date, and the 4th game was Spiderman. Oh yes, there was also Nioh 2....which still has no release date.

Shenmue 3 wasnt even mentioned at e3 2018.

Still, not as bad as Sony in the past who had a game filling up e3 shows for 9 years....

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#40 Posted by KungfuKitten (26545 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

If they show the cheap Switch, yes.

Otherwise i don't care for 30 minutes of Pokemon.

They confirmed there will not be a hardware announcement at E3.

Avatar image for saltslasher
#41 Edited by SaltSlasher (1073 posts) -

How can anyone possibly say Xbox dropped the ball?!? They kicked so much ass, you'd have to be in serious denial to think they didn't kill it.

Halo Infinite was blowing minds as the next generational game

FromSoftware's next game announced (PS4 fans ded)

Blair Witch was so freaking cool from amazing developers

Cyberpunk's amazing showing and Keanu (PS4 fans ded again)

Forza Legos

New Minecraft (game over)

Phantasy Star Online 2 in West after several years (PS4 fans ded again again)

Saw the best Jedi Fallen Order trailer and saw new Star Wars game

Ori and Will of the Wisp's trailer was too good

Got to see next gen (not just hear about it from journalists who read what other journalists wrote)

Ultimate Game Pass and its $1, and if you had Game Pass you'd know its been filled with a couple dozen games

Ninja Theory's next game which looked so good (Xbox growing and Sony stagnant)

Freaking Battletoads (Rare's catalog starting to make Nintendo fans drool)

They acquired Double Fine and had legend himself on stage (everyone ded)

Got to see the best looking Tales of ever

Saw the best Borderlands 3 trailer

Outer Worlds, Gears 5, SoD2 Heartlands, Wasteland 3, Spirtfarer, and Pscyhonauts (suck it to any haters who read all this and still hating)

Flight Simulator (#TeamXbox)

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#42 Edited by NathanDrakeSwag (12862 posts) -
@saltslasher said:

How can anyone possibly say Xbox dropped the ball?!? They kicked so much ass, you'd have to be in serious denial to think they didn't kill it.

Halo Infinite was blowing minds as the next generational game

FromSoftware's next game announced (PS4 fans ded)

Blair Witch was so freaking cool from amazing developers

Cyberpunk's amazing showing and Keanu (PS4 fans ded again)

Forza Legos

New Minecraft (game over)

Phantasy Star Online 2 in West after several years (PS4 fans ded again again)

Saw the best Jedi Fallen Order trailer and saw new Star Wars game

Ori and Will of the Wisp's trailer was too good

Got to see next gen (not just hear about it from journalists who read what other journalists wrote)

Ultimate Game Pass and its $1, and if you had Game Pass you'd know its been filled with a couple dozen games

Ninja Theory's next game which looked so good (Xbox growing and Sony stagnant)

Freaking Battletoads (Rare's catalog starting to make Nintendo fans drool)

They acquired Double Fine and had legend himself on stage (everyone ded)

Got to see the best looking Tales of ever

Saw the best Borderlands 3 trailer

Outer Worlds, Gears 5, SoD2 Heartlands, Wasteland 3, Spirtfarer, and Pscyhonauts (suck it to any haters who read all this and still hating)

Flight Simulator (#TeamXbox)

Phil could have walked on stage and farted and you would be talking about how good it smelled.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#43 Posted by Ant_17 (12418 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:
@Ant_17 said:

If they show the cheap Switch, yes.

Otherwise i don't care for 30 minutes of Pokemon.

They confirmed there will not be a hardware announcement at E3.

So they can't save E3.

Avatar image for onesiphorus
#44 Posted by onesiphorus (2874 posts) -

E3 is to start soon and does it have to hang on Nintendo's presentation? There is more to E3 than the major publishers.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#45 Edited by robert_sparkes (3015 posts) -

MS had the opportunity to own the show and to show zero gameplay of gears 5 is an instant L.

Nintendo can if they show actual gameplay.

Avatar image for Xabiss
#46 Edited by Xabiss (2621 posts) -

Funny the only ones hating on this show the most are Cows, I wonder why. I swear fanboys are the worse. I could of called this shit before it even started. Cows only have one thing to do this E3 and that is to bitch and complain. I have seen many a things of interest.

This thread is a perfect example of cows being cows.

Avatar image for Litchie
#47 Edited by Litchie (23873 posts) -

For me, they usually do. PC gets some neat things here and there, but with Nintendo at E3, it's usually non stop awesomeness. Only downside is that they don't do even more awesome stuff. Like always I will sit and hope for Pikmin 4, Paper Mario TTYD 2, F-Zero and Metroid news, but will probably be dissapointed as usual. I'll probably get to see other things that look great though.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#48 Posted by uninspiredcup (33312 posts) -

There fans tend to be overzealous and overbearing even by audience E3 standards.

Regardless of games looking like dated mobile apps, they will shout from the rooftops as they always do.

Avatar image for SecretPolice
#49 Posted by SecretPolice (35254 posts) -

@saltslasher said:

How can anyone possibly say Xbox dropped the ball?!? They kicked so much ass, you'd have to be in serious denial to think they didn't kill it.

Halo Infinite was blowing minds as the next generational game

FromSoftware's next game announced (PS4 fans ded)

Blair Witch was so freaking cool from amazing developers

Cyberpunk's amazing showing and Keanu (PS4 fans ded again)

Forza Legos

New Minecraft (game over)

Phantasy Star Online 2 in West after several years (PS4 fans ded again again)

Saw the best Jedi Fallen Order trailer and saw new Star Wars game

Ori and Will of the Wisp's trailer was too good

Got to see next gen (not just hear about it from journalists who read what other journalists wrote)

Ultimate Game Pass and its $1, and if you had Game Pass you'd know its been filled with a couple dozen games

Ninja Theory's next game which looked so good (Xbox growing and Sony stagnant)

Freaking Battletoads (Rare's catalog starting to make Nintendo fans drool)

They acquired Double Fine and had legend himself on stage (everyone ded)

Got to see the best looking Tales of ever

Saw the best Borderlands 3 trailer

Outer Worlds, Gears 5, SoD2 Heartlands, Wasteland 3, Spirtfarer, and Pscyhonauts (suck it to any haters who read all this and still hating)

Flight Simulator (#TeamXbox)

QFT...

Mmmmm, so good. :P

Avatar image for Ibacai
#50 Posted by Ibacai (13820 posts) -

I don’t think their needs to be any saving now, the SE show was fantastic. And while the MS show wasn’t great it was ok.

If SE had been as bad as Bethesda I’d say E3 would need saving. Next year is going to be nuts for games.