Can multiplats be considered an advantage for PS4 over XB1?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Just as multiplats are considered an advantage for PC over consoles, could they be considered an advantage for PS4 over XB1? After all, the disparity between multiplats this generation is even greater than it was last gen with the 360 and PS3. It was considered an advantage for the 360 over the PS3, and while the 360 lacked the exclusives that PS3 had, it supposedly made up for it with multiplat performance. This isn't to say that I think PS4 will not have good exclusives this gen. I think when it's all said and done, it will have the best.

A huge % of games last gen were multiplat. An even higher % of games this gen are projected to be multiplat. Do you think it's important or should be seen as an advantage that 90%+ of the games released this gen will look and run better on the PS4? Is that a selling point?

I understand that exclusives are important. They really give a system an identity and provide the user with an experience they can't get anywhere else. The thing is, Ps4 users, and to an even greater extent, PC users, are able to get an experience with multiplats that Xbox One owners can't get either.

I just think that with all the talk of exclusives around here, it's worth mentioning that other 90% of games and how it creates a disparity between the consoles and also an advantage.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Ofcourse. Why would you spend more $$$ to play weaker multiplats, it make's no sense.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@arkephonic said:

Just as multiplats are considered an advantage for PC over consoles, could they be considered an advantage for PS4 over XB1? After all, the disparity between multiplats this generation is even greater than it was last gen with the 360 and PS3. It was considered an advantage for the 360 over the PS3, and while the 360 lacked the exclusives that PS3 had, it supposedly made up for it with multiplat performance. This isn't to say that I think PS4 will not have good exclusives this gen. I think when it's all said and done, it will have the best.

A huge % of games last gen were multiplat. An even higher % of games this gen are projected to be multiplat. Do you think it's important or should be seen as an advantage that 90%+ of the games released this gen will look and run better on the PS4? Is that a selling point?

I understand that exclusives are important. They really give a system an identity and provide the user with an experience they can't get anywhere else. The thing is, Ps4 users, and to an even greater extent, PC users, are able to get an experience with multiplats that Xbox One owners can't get either.

I just think that with all the talk of exclusives around here, it's worth mentioning that other 90% of games and how it creates a disparity between the consoles and also an advantage.

First off bolded....lolololllolol

Second I'm pretty sure last generation you said that the 360 having better multiplats didn't matter so I'm glad to see you show your hypocrisy even more this generation, Its good to have my belief that Sheen's are the worst fanboy group reaffirmed at every opportunity.

there is not a single point, or opinion that you and your group hasn't gone back on this generation from the last.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Sure it's an advantage. When a multi-platform game comes out, and I want to play it on a console, I'm more inclined to buy it for the Playstation 4.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

It is, but honestly it's nothing to gloat over, it's just a perk. The real advantage comes in the form of true high quality not to be found anywhere else exclusives like Infamous Second son.

When lemming were literally depending on that argument last gen, it was only because they didn't have any exclusives good enough to defend their preferred console with using those alone.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Yes. It's already happening.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

I would say yes. But as cows said it didn't matter last gen, and you all know you did, expect lems to say the same this gen.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

It seems that way, since the disparity is going to be bigger and more consistent in favor of PS4 than it ever was for 360 last gen.

It's nowhere big as the advantage PC enjoys though... at least in terms of multiplats PC is almost always king.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

On general principle yes, so long as there's a discernible difference.

But coming from you, it's just hypocritical considering how you dismissed this very principle when it worked against your favor in the last generation with X360 vs PS3.

But then again I'm not even surprised.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Any one who says no is lying.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Cows...

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33098 Posts

To an extent, but the ps4 needs high quality exclusives to back up these multiplats games

Avatar image for indigenous_euphoria
indigenous_euphoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 indigenous_euphoria
Member since 2013 • 255 Posts

Don't really care. Im not into multiplats. I usually get both consoles for the exclusives. And Right now my PS4 is collecting dust but we will see if that changes in the future.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

yes, over xbox one and wii u.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By arkephonic

@WilliamRLBaker:

An advantage is an advantage. Yeah, the 360 had a lot of multiplats that ran better than the PS3 counterparts, but after the first 2 years of PS3 being out around 2008, PS3 started getting games that were on par and sometimes better than the 360 counterpart. Of course there was still the occasional bad apple, but the gap was closed significantly after year 2 and moving forward. If you remember, a lot of the time, PS3 multiplats also came included with additional content that wasn't available on the 360 as well, something that the 360 very rarely held over the PS3.

Even then, the differences between the 360 and PS3 were nowhere near the magnitude to which they are today with the ps4 and xb1. These resolution and frame rate differences dwarf almost all of the differences seen last gen between the hd twins.

Not to mention, everyone knew the PS3 would eventually turn things around simply because the hardware was there. Sure, the 360 and PS3 both had advantages over each other, but ultimately they were very comparable systems and it was only a matter of time before things evened out just based on common sense.

With the PS4 and xb1, it's hard to have that same kind of optimism simply because the hardware isn't there for the XB1. That's why everyone jokes about the power of the cloud and when will it be seen. While devs had to work around learning the Triple's cell CPU, there's just no way to learn the One's weak hardware. The potential isn't there, it's a lost cause.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

If it was an advantage for the 360, why wouldn't it be for the PS4? Shape of the controller and name on the plastic box doesn't change that. At least for people with sense.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shewgenja

@WilliamRLBaker said:

First off bolded....lolololllolol

Second I'm pretty sure last generation you said that the 360 having better multiplats didn't matter so I'm glad to see you show your hypocrisy even more this generation, Its good to have my belief that Sheen's are the worst fanboy group reaffirmed at every opportunity.

there is not a single point, or opinion that you and your group hasn't gone back on this generation from the last.

and that changes what, exactly? In 2016, when it is painfully obvious to you that tons of former 360 gamers are flocking to the PS4 for all the same reasons that made the 360 a good game system (at least before 2008) are you still going to be crying over spilled milk?

Damn, son. You're in for a rough ride. Buckle up. As if you fanboying for the XBone changes the fact that it is lousy for all the reasons that made the PS3 a suckfest its first two years out? Sheen your way out of that mental loop.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cainetao11

@AdobeArtist:

That's my point. It was dismissed so much by cows last gen, that they better accept it will be by lems this gen. At the end of the day, its not a game breaker. People are still playing the same game, just at a lower resolution. If that is game breaking, why doesn't everyone buy them on PC?

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 treedoor

@cainetao11 said:

@AdobeArtist:

That's my point. It was dismissed so much by cows last gen, that they better accept it will be by lems this gen. At the end of the day, its not a game breaker. People are still playing the same game, just at a lower resolution. If that is game breaking, why doesn't everyone buy them on PC?

Cows no longer own beast-mode PCs in the 8th gen.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shewgenja

@cainetao11 said:

@AdobeArtist:

There's a bit of a caveat to that. I remember how Sony fanboys were when the PS3 launched and they did have one feather in their cap that XBone has yet to show any indication of doing.

Sony's first party games like Uncharted were very clearly the best looking games. So, even though a lot of games were coming out looking better on the 360, the Sony fanboys got away with saying "PS3 is more powerful" and the "Devs are lazy" arguments. Comparatively, XBone really is just a weaker system flat out. There's almost no point in arguing it unless you are from the Cult of MrXMedia.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

If it was an advantage for the 360, why wouldn't it be for the PS4? Shape of the controller and name on the plastic box doesn't change that. At least for people with sense.

Well considering the damage control from a few posters, not excluding a few mods, "it all depends" on something about something lol.

Love the excuses and "conditions" the PS4 seems to need to meet in their eyes before it "counts" for them. It's an advantage now for PS4 just as it was back then for xbox360 PERIOD.

Was 360 more powerful than PS3? No, but it was easier to develop for and that was enough to give xbox360 the advantage of having more multiplatform games that came out and played better then on PS3. On the flip side however some of the most impressive games that came out specifically toward the end of the generation were equal or better on the PS3 (like GTAV) proving the 360 wan't more powerful.

360's advantage came because of ease of development compared to PS3, with PS4 it's simply technical superiority that will never be overcome by xbox one. As games get move advanced and taxing xbox one will struggle to even be close to PS4. This advantage will never go away like it did with the PS3 last gen.

Damage control talking about exclusives (can discuss but not relevant to question) or who said what (anecdotal) means little in response to what is being asked.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cainetao11

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:

@AdobeArtist:

There's a bit of a caveat to that. I remember how Sony fanboys were when the PS3 launched and they did have one feather in their cap that XBone has yet to show any indication of doing.

Sony's first party games like Uncharted were very clearly the best looking games. So, even though a lot of games were coming out looking better on the 360, the Sony fanboys got away with saying "PS3 is more powerful" and the "Devs are lazy" arguments. Comparatively, XBone really is just a weaker system flat out. There's almost no point in arguing it unless you are from the Cult of MrXMedia.

Not going to argue it. But it didn't stop me from enjoying games on the PS2, or the 360, or the Wii. If power is the main thing, why game on a console to begin with? Because of games. And there are games on the X1 I cant play on the PS4, and vice versa.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cainetao11

@treedoor said:

@cainetao11 said:

@AdobeArtist:

LOL. Well I have to buy a new laptop before I get a PS4, due to school being my priority now. I am looking to get a BEAST that can play games.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 treedoor

@cainetao11 said:

@treedoor said:

@cainetao11 said:

@AdobeArtist:

LOL. Well I have to buy a new laptop before I get a PS4, due to school being my priority now. I am looking to get a BEAST that can play games.

I don't know about any beast mode laptops (I hate gaming on laptops).

I suggest getting a simple laptop + a beast desktop if possible. Would save you money, and get better results.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cainetao11

@treedoor:

Nice. Any suggestions on desktops? I figured kill two birds with one stone but if I can save $ all the better. I get a fair amount from the GI bill, but always looking to save.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Gonna be honest...

Just ordered a PS4(delivery date is Friday, can't flipping wait) and while I'd never dream of shelving my Xbox One, especially now for obvious reasons, I have to believe that most of my time this gen will probably be spent on the PS4. Reasons = multiplats.

I need both for the exclusives(Halo, God of War, Killer Instinct etc) but I'll admit I swapped all my multiplat pre-orders over to the PS4. If I own both, why wouldn't I right? So many of the great games this gen will be multiplat, hell a TON of great games were last gen.

So yes, TC, I back your claim.

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts

I guess you could, but to be honest, the vast majority of people will not have more fun with a game because the graphics look marginally better, and the vast majority of people don't care. You really only notice a difference when the two images are sitting side by side.

Retailers use this all of the time, that is why they have expensive TVs by cheap TVs and expensive appliances by cheap appliances. You feel better about your purchase (even though you spent more) in the store because one looked better than the other. Once you get it home, that comparison doesn't really matter. You could've bought the cheaper one and it would've looked good enough or worked good enough for you needs and you would've spent less money.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If it was an advantage last gen (and lemmings say yes it was) then I don't see why it wouldn't be this gen.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 arkephonic

@Spartan070:

That's a good idea and I had the same train of thought. I own a PS4 and am not counting out owning an XB1 sometime in the future. I just bought a new car so I'm not buying as many games at the moment. I was thinking how shitty it would be to be a few years into this gen, having a nice sized library of games and having all the multiplats on XB1 because of not having a PS4 or something. Then say you get a PS4 later. It'd just be a shitty feeling knowing you could have gotten all the superior versions of all those games but didn't. It would just suck investing that much money into the inferior versions when suddenly you have access to the superior ones.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By arkephonic

@Jacobistheman:

In a market like video gaming where competition is fierce, these differences you're talking about are huge. The fact that PS4 is more powerful and gets better multiplat performance while being $100 cheaper is not something people should disregard. If they just go with the One and say, "oh, well obviously ps4 is better side by side at the store, but I can just buy the One, bring it home and not tell a difference because I have nothing to compare it to, no ps4 set up next to it." That's just being an ignorant consumer. It would be like buying a Civic for more money than a BMW M3 and just saying, oh well, now that it's the only car in my garage, it doesn't make a difference. I have nothing to directly compare it to like I did at the dealership".

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 treedoor

@Bigboi500 said:

If it was an advantage last gen (and lemmings say yes it was) then I don't see why it wouldn't be this gen.

If it was not an advantage last gen (and cows say no it was not) then I don't see why it would be this gen.

CheriBan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CheriBan
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@CrownKingArthur: I'd say multi-plats give the Ps4 an advantage and exclusives give the Wii U an advantage. I know people are gonna go all Nintendo-hate on me for daring to speak the cursed name Wii U but hear me out,

Nintendo is definitely winning when it comes do exclusives, the lack of 3rd party support from the more famous companies means they're paying more attention to other companies that never really got their time in the spotlight.

That coupled with the first party exclusives and great indie support will definitely help them. One reason xbone is doing so badly compared to Ps4 is a combination of price and lack of exclusives. Anyone sees a few multiplats they want and are willing to buy a console for they're obviously going to go for the cheaper and more popular option, i.e the Ps4.

At the same time its price means the Xbone is going to need a lot of desirable exclusives before people will be willing to spend the money. People would be willing to spend £200-250 on a Wii U for a few good exclusives but £400 is far too much for some people for that alone.

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts

Lemmings used it last gen so I don't see why cows can't use it this gen.

Regardless of what it is, fanboys nowadays are in the hunt for ownage.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Sure, but expect it to get downplayed even more so than for PC

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By arkephonic

@treedoor:

You're missing the point. PS3 was hard to develop for and that's why early multiplats struggled. Devs figured out the cell and that's why games like gtav perform the same. It eventually became an apples and oranges comparison.

Not only are multiplat differences more drastic this gen than they ever were last gen (even in the beginning), but XB1 doesn't even have the potential to even things out because it's held back by hardware, not ease of development.

You guys keep saying cows said this and cows said that, when in all actuality they had reason to say two different things at two different points in the generation. Early on, yeah, it mattered. Later on, nope, there wasn't a difference. Educate yourself.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

I would say the question is "Will multplats be an advantage in tree years when you can one click install mods that make GTA V, purchasable for $4.99, look way better then God of Unchartzone 6,"

I am guessing no.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Yes because remember last generation when xboxfans were saying how multiplats are an advantage for the xbox360 over the PS3? well this generation PS4 has an advantage over the xbox one in terms of multiplats.. the table has turned and everyone must deal with it.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 treedoor

@arkephonic said:

@treedoor:

You're missing the point. PS3 was hard to develop for and that's why early multiplats struggled. Devs figured out the cell and that's why games like gtav perform the same. It eventually became an apples and oranges comparison.

Not only are multiplat differences more drastic this gen than they ever were last gen (even in the beginning), but XB1 doesn't even have the potential to even things out because it's held back by hardware, not ease of development.

You guys keep saying cows said this and cows said that, when in all actuality they had reason to say two different things at two different points in the generation. Early on, yeah, it mattered. Later on, nope, there wasn't a difference. Educate yourself.

It doesn't matter why the multiplats played worse on PS3.

The fact is they did, and some were flat out broken, and became unplayable for many people (games like Skyrim, and Bayonetta), and cows spent 8 years saying that didn't matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

Yes because remember last generation when xboxfans were saying how multiplats are an advantage for the xbox360 over the PS3? well this generation PS4 has an advantage over the xbox one in terms of multiplats.. the table has turned and everyone must deal with it.

lol fanboys can't just "deal with it". prepare yourself for some crazy damage control in 3... 2... 1...

" I DONT CARE WE GOT TITANFALL WHAT YOU GOT DUDE BRO?! TROLOLOLOLOLOLO!1111ONEONEONEONE"

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@arkephonic said:

Yes, it was considered an advantage for the 360 last gen so it should be considered an advantage for the Ps4 this generation and considering the vast majority of high scoring games in any given generation are multiplat then it's quite a big advantage imo.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#42 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yes . I don't know what is going to happen in the future or which game will be better on which platform but the way things are turning out ; More and more games will be on PC and PS4 . Look around , you won't find Xbox One version of games from smaller developers . Whether this is due to better hardware , advertisement , lies or whatever is yet to be seen but in theory PS4 is more powerful than Xbox One . Will see how things turn out after DX 12 .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@SNIPER4321 said:

The trend of console multiplat should end as it hurt gaming industry.

develop game on PC than port to console. everyone will enjoy.

this. then again, they can't create a gameworld/gameplay bigger than what consoles could handle anyway. it wouldn't make sense that the PC version would be like a totally different game.

interesting to see how Witcher 3 pans out, though. sounds too good to be true for a multplat title.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@treedoor said:

@Bigboi500 said:

If it was not an advantage last gen (and cows say no it was not) then I don't see why it would be this gen.

**** what the fanboys say. Both cows and lemmings have always been the worst of the bunch. Superior hardware produces superior multiplats, end of story.

MikeMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 MikeMoose
Member since 2005 • 3079 Posts

Absolutely and saying otherwise is just straight up fanboyism/

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Barely. Being second place in nearly every multiplat that comes out usually only by resolution is not like a case of Skyrim or Bayonetta though.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Sure if the difference is big I would want the version that isn't broke.

Speaking of muliplats though, THE ONE is catching up and has two in its stable that are better when compared to the QUAD version.

Plus TITANFALL plays better in THE ONE than on the PS4.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Plus TITANFALL plays better in THE ONE than on the PS4.

*ba dum tssszzzzzz.....*

so lame

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@groowagon: Lame because you didn't like it? Lems are reminded everyday by cows that Titanfall is muliplat. The topic is muliplats. Why not bring the GOTY into the conversation?

Oh that's right, it hurts your feelings.