Can Crysis run on PS3 if you DL VISTA on PS3?!?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BigBoss5777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BigBoss5777
Member since 2006 • 569 Posts
Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months 
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
Um......no.
joe_g_patton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 joe_g_patton
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts
Crysis = Vaporware...pics or it didn't happen........dude, if you want to do just to crysis.....get a badazzz amd/intel cpu, at least 2GIGGITYGIGGY's of RAM, and a ridiculous 8800 NVidia card
BigBoss5777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BigBoss5777
Member since 2006 • 569 Posts
Um......no. Tulak_Hord
Why not?! Im not trying to troll or anything, i really am curious as to why it wouldnt work?!
Darth_Stalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Darth_Stalin
Member since 2005 • 8681 Posts
[QUOTE="Tulak_Hord"]Um......no. BigBoss5777
Why not?! Im not trying to troll or anything, i really am curious as to why it wouldnt work?!

Because for one, I don't think the PS3 can run Vista (incompatibility), 2 the PS3 specs cannot run Crysis.
Avatar image for XboxUnderground
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XboxUnderground
Member since 2003 • 20965 Posts
no and no
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months BigBoss5777
No. The only way to get Vista onto a PS3 would be to use software running on top of Linux to get Vista to install and run on the system. Chance of a game running in an OS being emulated on an OS not optimized for the system it's on - a system that has on 512mb of RAM and a graphics card that doesn't support DirectX? Absolutely 0%.
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XboxUnderground
[QUOTE="BigBoss5777"]Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months subrosian
No. The only way to get Vista onto a PS3 would be to use software running on top of Linux to get Vista to install and run on the system. Chance of a game running in an OS being emulated on an OS not optimized for the system it's on - a system that has on 512mb of RAM and a graphics card that doesn't support DirectX? Absolutely 0%.

PS3 actually only has 256mb of ram so you couldn't even install Vista even if you could get it to somehow accept the installation disc Vista will give you a hardblock on anything with less than 512mb(or is it 384mb?) of system ram
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Ps3 cannnot run Windows. About the only thing you can do is Windows95 emulators in Linux. The hardware is extremely incompatible.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
The PS3 cannot run Windows due to its architecture: the Cell is PPC-based; Windows is an x86/x64 operating system. And even if you were to get Windows up and running, you wouldn't be able to play any 3D accelerated games due to there not being any drivers for the RSX.
5th_element

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 5th_element
Member since 2006 • 881 Posts
yes no way!!!!!!!
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="BigBoss5777"]Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months XboxUnderground

PS3 actually only has 256mb of ram so you couldn't even install Vista even if you could get it to somehow accept the installation disc Vista will give you a hardblock on anything with less than 512mb(or is it 384mb?) of system ram

PS3 has 512mb of RAM ...

But you are correct that Linux is locked out of GPU and GDDR3 RAM access ...

So would Crysis run -- yes !
  Would it be playable -- nope ( unless u consider 0 - 1 FPS playable with system crashing ever 30 secs due or so )

In the end PS3 wouls need to give Linux access to RSX and the GDDR3 RAM with a optimised version of Linux running Crysis on minimum settings through emulation inorder to for Crysis to run reasonable ( and it will still likly be less than 30 FPS )
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="BigBoss5777"]Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months XboxUnderground

I won't say that Vista won't install on the PS3 simply because there is a dedicated community of hackers who pride themselves on getting Linux to run on anything they can, and making Linux do the seemingly impossible. I wouldn't put it past the abilities of some of the best out there to find some way to create a virtual console to install Vista onto that tricks the system into believing it's running on a "Vista Ready" Intel PC. There real clincher to his question was "can I get Crysis running" and that's simply a no way. You'd be lucky to get Halo CE running on a PS3-Linux-Vista, let alone pushing a game that's meant to showcase the capabilities of DirectX 10. You want Crysis on the PS3? Hope it gets ported to the system. Endless layers of software emulation are ridiculously slow. The whole PS3-Linux movement is cool, but take PS3-Linux for what it is. It's a fun place for hackers to show off their programming skills, that's really it. You're far better off running Ubuntu on an inexpensive desktop if you really want to get into Linux for usability. For modern PC gaming, Windows, and a DirectX 9/10 graphics card continues to be the de-facto requirement.
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XboxUnderground
[QUOTE="XboxUnderground"][QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="BigBoss5777"]Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months choasgod

PS3 has 512mb of RAM

512mb of combined ram 256mb of ram for the system 256mb of GDDR3 Vram nothing but graphics processing is capable of getting access to the 256mb of GDDR3 though :| so, like I said PS3 has only 256mb of ram
joeblak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 joeblak
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts
Ummmmm......no. :|
Avatar image for deactivated-645e897010df8
deactivated-645e897010df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-645e897010df8
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
If your lucky, you can play a stripped down port of Crysis just like the 360 may be able to play.:lol::lol::lol:roulettethedog
Take a guess why they didn't even consider a PS3 version.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
You're never going to be able to run Vista on the PS3.  It's made for x86, not for the Cell.  For that same reason you'd never be able to play any games made for the PC or any other platform.
yuna707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yuna707
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts
PS3 doesn't have enough ram. Anyways the cell is a piece of crap anyways. 7 SPE's LMAO....
billyea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 billyea
Member since 2005 • 6153 Posts
Why would Crysis run on Vista, ON TOP OF LINUX, ON TOP of an already restricted amount of ram, ON TOP of lack of Direct X 10 (critical to Crysis)
console_fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 console_fanboy
Member since 2006 • 595 Posts
Jezus christ... It isnt even possible atm to run N64/PS2 smoothly on a supercomputer with windows. Why? Cuz its hard to program. If thats the case, then forgot about crysis on the PS3 ROFL with vista...
billyea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 billyea
Member since 2005 • 6153 Posts
[QUOTE="console_fanboy"]Jezus christ... It isnt even possible atm to run N64/PS2 smoothly on a supercomputer with windows. Why? Cuz its hard to program. If thats the case, then forgot about crysis on the PS3 ROFL with vista...

N64 runs smoothly, but all last gen consoles still run like crap.
alex1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 alex1889
Member since 2006 • 1633 Posts

Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months BigBoss5777

i reallyt wouldn't reccomwend it, youd need linx and probably a load of other stuff and if it did run it would probably just crash all the time.

XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XboxUnderground
[QUOTE="console_fanboy"]Jezus christ... It isnt even possible atm to run N64/PS2 smoothly on a supercomputer with windows. Why? Cuz its hard to program. If thats the case, then forgot about crysis on the PS3 ROFL with vista...

umm PS2 maybe I haven't tried that but I'm playing N64 games @ 1080p with improved graphics and 60fps on my pc :|
Flexmaster_365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Flexmaster_365
Member since 2006 • 1650 Posts
Nope the Cell is a PPC interface, windows runs only on x86 or 64bit CPU's.
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XboxUnderground
Nope the Cell is a PPC interface, windows runs only on x86 or 64bit CPU's.Flexmaster_365
not really you can easily run XP on a PPC
Flexmaster_365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Flexmaster_365
Member since 2006 • 1650 Posts
[QUOTE="Flexmaster_365"]Nope the Cell is a PPC interface, windows runs only on x86 or 64bit CPU's.XboxUnderground
not really you can easily run XP on a PPC

XP yes but Vista No.
cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 cjnwo4life
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts
No if you want this game you will need to play on a pc and an updated one at that.
anamnawshad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 anamnawshad
Member since 2003 • 5067 Posts
[QUOTE="BigBoss5777"]Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months subrosian

Oh that was very rude (To Cows)! :(
xbox3604lyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xbox3604lyf
Member since 2006 • 792 Posts
PS3 cannot run vista because ps3 is crap 
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
[QUOTE="XboxUnderground"][QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="BigBoss5777"]Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months choasgod

PS3 has 512mb of RAM ...

But you are correct that Linux is locked out of GPU and GDDR3 RAM access ...

So would Crysis run -- yes !
  Would it be playable -- nope ( unless u consider 0 - 1 FPS playable with system crashing ever 30 secs due or so )

In the end PS3 wouls need to give Linux access to RSX and the GDDR3 RAM with a optimised version of Linux running Crysis on minimum settings through emulation inorder to for Crysis to run reasonable ( and it will still likly be less than 30 FPS )

no matter how much optimisation they would do it would still run 3-4fps even on lowest settings. ps3 runs linux comparable to 700mhz pc
hunters0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 hunters0
Member since 2005 • 368 Posts
Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months BigBoss5777
I thought that some one got windows 95 working on there PS3 but then it was still and emulation from a linux based OS on the PS3?? i aint heard of Vista being loded on it?
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

N64 games run perfectly fine..so do many PS2 games with one particular emulator..many even see 100+ frames per second in FFX and a few other games, with dual-core processors.
him42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 him42
Member since 2004 • 6811 Posts
no.

*end thread
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
Ok. I own both a 360 and PS3 and I know you can download Windows onto the PS3 BUT my question is. Can you download Vista on the PS3 and if so wouuld I be able to play Crysis on it?! Because if i can, OMG lol I wont be leaving my house for months BigBoss5777
once vista is on ps3 there wouild be no ram for anything else, vista needs 512mb ram to run and thats all ps3 memory gone.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

ps3 has 512mb just like x360 what don't you lems get about that? 256+256 = 512mb.
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
uhm no... There isn't enough memory to run both at the same time. And no the 360 couldn't do that either.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
at 5fps...then there's in crysis...