Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is the worst game...

• 53 results
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44797 Posts

...from a technical standpoint. Yes or no?

In less than two hours of playtime I have encountered:

• Near-constant stuttering during cutscenes and gameplay
  • "Potato mode" textures (aka laughably-low resolution textures, people look like featureless manequins)
  • Two hard crashes/freezes that require a restart of my system
  • Dialogue that lags a good five seconds behind the animations
  • A really piss-poor online community full of players that just run off where they want to in co-op (ok this last one isn't a technical issue, but let's just say there's a certain 'type' of person that plays CoD and it's a special kind...)

Anyone else encounter problems on PC or console?

This is honestly one of the worst purchases in memory and I've been gaming since 1990.

It's atrocious and inexcusable that a corporation as large as Activision that produces a game with as large a budget as CoD that has as huge a crew as possible working on it can release a game in such a sorry state, and still not have these game-killing problems fixed after a week.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5492 Posts

I've heard all platforms have some issues but PC seems to have the most by far.

I'm waiting till black Friday to pick up the ps4 version, hopefully by then they have most of the BS ironed out.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrbojangles25

@vfighter said:

I've heard all platforms have some issues but PC seems to have the most by far.

I'm waiting till black Friday to pick up the ps4 version, hopefully by then they have most of the BS ironed out.

Thinking of asking for a refund, if they even offer them.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54159 Posts

I've stopped playing the campaign due to the cutscene stuttering. Apparently, a fix is in the works.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 946 Posts

The story is horrible anti-Russian propaganda. I figure the plot of the next Call of Duty game will be something like this: Russia makes false claims about WMDs in a fictional Arab country Iraquistan and invades it. #itsjustagame

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 127

#6 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 10913 Posts

@mrbojangles25: It is COD after all. What were you thinking?

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 39051 Posts

The campaign from what I seen seems to be the selling point and I have yet to get the game, I'm waiting for a sale just play it's campaign and don't care for MP. PC version seems to be the worst in terms of glitches I seen and glad I'm waiting for sale while Activision tries to patch it in the meantime.

@ivangrozny said:

The story is horrible anti-Russian propaganda. I figure the plot of the next Call of Duty game will be something like this: Russia makes false claims about WMDs in a fictional Arab country Iraquistan and invades it. #itsjustagame

I seen alot of Russian reviewers giving it very harsh scores on it. Can't say I'm surprise.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrbojangles25

@lundy86_4 said:

I've stopped playing the campaign due to the cutscene stuttering. Apparently, a fix is in the works.

I'll believe it when I see it.

It's mostly just kind of shocking. Activision, love em or hate em, is a big company that makes quality (if not enjoyable) products. I am shocked this made it out the door.

And it's not just me, there are so many people out there on all platforms (but especially PC) having problems.

@BassMan said:

@mrbojangles25: It is COD after all. What were you thinking?

I know, I am kicking myself in my own ass for buying it. I think the thing that got me was the cross-play, to be honest. A lot of my friends are playing it on PS4 and I want to play with them.

Wish more games did cross-play. Division 2, for example.

@ivangrozny said:

Normally I'd say you're being too sensitive, but yeah, the anti-Russian stuff in the game is pretty bad. There is also, of course, the usual "brown skinned terrorist" stereotype as well.

Say what you want, but the enemies in Far Cry 5 were at least believable to an extent; I can totally imagine a militia of white good ol' boys shutting their county off to the rest of the country.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 36021 Posts

Call Of Duty is like a dam that's burst with a wall of water you can't outrun. Better to just stick your arms out and accept the inevitable.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

@uninspiredcup: That is a spot-on analogy haha.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 1334 Posts

The cutscene stuttering is caused by background loading. It may or may not be fixed. Wish it had loading screens and cutscenes instead of hiding it behind the cutscenes.

dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dagubot
Member since 2017 • 1438 Posts

I've noticed a lot of the issues stem from PC but I've also read that Modern Warfare was crashing Xbox consoles as well. Luckily for me; I haven't had a single issue with the game and beat the campaign on veteran difficulty.

Online on the other hand can be frustrating at times due to the absolute insane amount of campers in the game. The way the maps were designed puts so much focus on camping and holing up in a room and just dropping a claymore and waiting. So many games end with the time running out rather than the game being won so that should tell you something. Footsteps are so damn loud and 90% of people playing online just seem to be rocking M4 and/or the 725 shotgun.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4138 Posts

It boggles the mind why Russia had to be the antagonist when China is the glaringly real enemy.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3534 Posts

@mrbojangles25: no issues on PS4, no crashes or stutters, been smooth for me

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5449 Posts

PS4 pro and I have had little to no problems at all. The game is great. They are switching back to the classic mini map soon.

The maps aren't all that great which sucks, but the gameplay is top notch. Camping is out of hand at times and a small handful of guns are OP as shit (M4A1 and the double barrel shotgun especially), but with a little tweaking and making the footsteps quieter the game can be great. I have faith they will evolve it in the right direction. The groundwork is the best for a shooter than we have had this entire console gen.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

@Sevenizz said:

It boggles the mind why Russia had to be the antagonist when China is the glaringly real enemy.

because that would be racist :D

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 31886 Posts

@dagubot said:

I've noticed a lot of the issues stem from PC but I've also read that Modern Warfare was crashing Xbox consoles as well. Luckily for me; I haven't had a single issue with the game and beat the campaign on veteran difficulty.

Realism is where it's at, bro

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 853 Posts

@Sevenizz: Why is China the enemy? Because you saw it on CNN?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4138 Posts

@subspecies: How dare you accuse me of watching CNN. Seriously, how dare you.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 6751 Posts

Buy recycled trash, get recycled trash.

Sounds about right to me.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter

@madrocketeer: Its not recycled though, first time since CoD4:MW that they've actually used a new game engine instead of some glued together upgraded version of the quake 2 engine (I believe that's what it was, correct me if I'm wrong).

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13255 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

• "Potato mode" textures (aka laughably-low resolution textures, people look like featureless manequins)
  • A really piss-poor online community full of players that just run off where they want to in co-op (ok this last one isn't a technical issue, but let's just say there's a certain 'type' of person that plays CoD and it's a special kind...)

This is honestly one of the worst purchases in memory and I've been gaming since 1990.

It's atrocious and inexcusable that a corporation as large as Activision that produces a game with as large a budget as CoD that has as huge a crew as possible working on it can release a game in such a sorry state, and still not have these game-killing problems fixed after a week.

Don't be so hard on yourself :(

As for refunds as you mentioned in another post, well if you lived in Australia you would be able to get a refund even for digital, Straya **** yeah :)

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 13255 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Call Of Duty is like a dam that's burst with a wall of water you can't outrun. Better to just stick your arms out and accept the inevitable.

So uninspired you can't even run, well I outrun CoD every year, have a go you mug lol.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online

@Sevenizz said:

I have no intention to start a war with China and I see no value to start with them. Activision better not start making Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 U.S vs China cause I'll start a riot on Activision. Leave China alone.

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Subspecies

@Sevenizz: Well there are only so many outlets spouting what you're spouting. So you watch one of them. And if you watch one you watch them all.

P.S. I know you don't know who Myron Fagan is, so I'm not going to bother asking.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 6751 Posts
@vfighter said:

@madrocketeer: Its not recycled though, first time since CoD4:MW that they've actually used a new game engine instead of some glued together upgraded version of the quake 2 engine (I believe that's what it was, correct me if I'm wrong).

So... ...a Frankensteinian amalgam of recycled trash and brand-new trash, then?

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1464 Posts

I haven’t experienced any issues in the campaign, but I once fell through floor and kept dying repeatedly and had some lag while playing online. I play it on the PS4, so it isn’t as bad as what you are experiencing.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter

@davillain-: Its a video game...what's wrong with who these fake characters fight a fake war with? Fake Russia, fake North Korea, fake China, fake Japan, fake Europe...its a video game?!?

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online

@vfighter: China takes things way more serious then here in the U.S. Tried to start a video game making them the enemy and they're likely to start complaining more so then Russia. North Korean is as close as we'll ever make them the enemy in gaming.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6032 Posts

I’m passing on this and playing the battlefield update with the new pacific maps.

xHedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xHedon
Member since 2018 • 210 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Other than 1 freeze when changing the name of a loadout, I haven't had a single issue that you mention above. This, in my experience, has been the best release for a COD this entire gen in regards to quality, lack of lag, community, campaign, performance, textures, graphics. Pretty much in every way.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VFighter

@davillain-: They can complain all they want, at the end of the day nobody will care unless Activision sells a ton of CoD games there. Nevermind, it wouldnt happen anyway after seeing how Activision/Blizzard kisses China's ass.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1047 Posts

I think the multiplayer maps are poor...probably as bad as the Ghosts map.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24668 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Not really. You bought it, right?

If anything is atrocious, it's gamers awarding huge corporations by buying their broken shit games. They're currently bathing in the broken shit game-money you gave them. There have been plenty of problems with both Activision and their previous CoD games in the past, someone who's been paying a tiny bit of attention would at least wait a bit before getting the next one.

This thread feels a bit like someone complaining about the product they got from the TV shop channel not working properly.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2184 Posts

From what I've seen, MP is nothing but who can out-camp who. I'll pass on that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Litchie said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Not really. You bought it, right?

If anything is atrocious, it's gamers awarding huge corporations by buying their broken shit games. They're currently bathing in the broken shit game-money you gave them. There have been plenty of problems with both Activision and their previous CoD games in the past, someone who's been paying a tiny bit of attention would at least wait a bit before getting the next one.

This thread feels a bit like someone complaining about the product they got from the TV shop channel not working properly.

I only see this lack of accountability in gaming, though.

Any other field there is a lot more accountability.

Food at a restaurant isn't up to snuff? You get the chef or manager out apologizing to you and giving your money back. You get sold a lemon of a car? You can take legal action, because there are actual laws about this. Those "As Seen on TV" products you mentioned? They actually have to pass some sort of quality control and prove that they work before being sold.

For some reason, it's only video games that seem to not need to be a quality product. Maybe you're right, maybe we should know better.

But that still doesn't give them an excuse to sell a crap product. "Buyer beware" only goes so far, and frankly, yes, it is atrocious that Activision can't make a functional game. You think this is the consumer's fault, and what incentive do you have to even blame the consumer in the first place? Or are you just a petty cynic?

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1545 Posts

Agree with op, runs terrible on pc! Given up on the single player part, but the mp is quite fun... still got for free with my graphic card, and hasn’t excactly convinced me to invest more money in this franchise..

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 13476 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I heard those are issues on PC. Sometimes on Xbox. I haven't encountered any issues so far.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Litchie

@mrbojangles25: Well, no. TV shop items don't have to work to be sold. That's why we have lots of evidence of such items not working at all. In fact, a shitload of items don't work as they say it should, but are being sold anyway. That only videogames gets a pass is BS.

I don't think that's a great excuse to sell a broken game. But it happens all the time, not just with games.

It is the consumer's fault, partly. Why spend time and money polishing the game before release if they can get your money anyway? To just go in blindly, buy a product and then complain about it when you haven't done any research yourself, is stupid. I don't think we should have to do that. But we do. Always have. Now more than ever, since websites these days don't get ad money if their reviewers call games broken.

Don't get me wrong. Activision is an asshat company. Even more so for releasing this game in this state. But the consumer does have responsibility as well.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Litchie: fair enough. Sometimes I do blame my peers for buying these franchises out of habit instead of appreciation. I wager Activision banks on the millions of casuals that only buy this game to play with their friends.

Would be nice to see what would happen if people chose to play another game with their friends instead.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts

@subspecies: It could just be nonsense, but my understanding of why people have a problem with China (at least one of the current reasons) is that they are slowly (maybe not so slowly) infiltrating a lot of America's media and entertainment sectors.

They own and or invest to varying degrees in multiple gaming companies ( https://www.pcgamer.com/every-game-company-that-tencent-has-invested-in/ ) as well as other avenues of media. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a problem, but it becomes suspect when you see that the games they are involved with are the biggest in the world...by far! Pubg, fortnite, clash of clans, etc; these are ungodly huge properties, and imo the bane of current gaming.

It's my personal opinion that these games are terrible. They are built to pray on Skinner box design and mentality, as well as blind consumption culture adopted by followers and the weak.

Then there's all the kowtowing to them, whether it's blizzard/Activision nonsense, movies having superfluous "Asian" characters shoehorned in to appease the red overlords, or the baffling uptick in China Defense Force comrade posts... even within these forums.

Now I could be totally wrong and talking out of my ass, but for my money I have no interest in paying for China to have this level of control over my favorite pastime.

Subspecies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Subspecies

@dimebag667: The Rothschilds own western media.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts
Loading Video...

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#44 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2103 Posts

Glad I won't be playing it I guess. My nostalgia will be stuck with what I've played of the older titles.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Litchie
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Litchie: fair enough. Sometimes I do blame my peers for buying these franchises out of habit instead of appreciation.

Yeah, got friends myself who do that. It's pretty annoying. :P And since it's usually bad games they get, they play it for like 5 hours tops before moving on to something else. smh..

@mrbojangles25 said:

@Litchie: I wager Activision banks on the millions of casuals that only buy this game to play with their friends.

Absolutely. CoD and FIFA is like the games to have for casuals and their PS or Xbox. Been like that for years.

Gameclash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gameclash
Member since 2019 • 5 Posts

I have no issues on my ps4

x_Hedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 x_Hedon
Member since 2019 • 105 Posts

@dalger21 said:

From what I've seen, MP is nothing but who can out-camp who. I'll pass on that.

Nothing wrong with camping. I camp 24x7. Better than running and gunning.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 23684 Posts
@ivangrozny said:

It's a yank game, it's always gonna be anti-Russian. That's their culture. Sad but not surprising.

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Sevenizz said:

More like would lose market access. It's funny to see Americans* panicking about the cultural imperialism thing starting to reverse on them, lol. Get used to dashing Chinese heroes and glorious pro-Beijing stories across all media!

(*Not you or anyone in this thread in particular, just in wider terms)

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 3401 Posts

That's what happens when a game has to come out at a set release date with no option for a delay to polish as needed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mrbojangles25

@locopatho said:
@ivangrozny said:

It's a yank game, it's always gonna be anti-Russian. That's their culture. Sad but not surprising.

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Sevenizz said:

More like would lose market access. It's funny to see Americans* panicking about the cultural imperialism thing starting to reverse on them, lol. Get used to dashing Chinese heroes and glorious pro-Beijing stories across all media!

(*Not you or anyone in this thread in particular, just in wider terms)

Right because I haven't been enjoying Chinese cinema for a couple decades at this point. Oh lordie, best get used to it...

Oh yeah and Total War: Three Kingdoms. God, the propaganda was soooooooo terrible in that game. How can my feeble yankee mind handle all this?!?!?

*obvious sarcasm

In all seriousness, I don't think "wider terms" America has a problem with this, or that it is really a problem at all. Maybe to sell newspapers and vote in politicians they blow it out of proportion, but as far as culture goes it seems like it has always been a two-way street.

The world is incredibly small, now more than ever, it's not really a big deal to see culture coming and going into one's country.