Call Of Duty fans become aware they are being exploited - Salt

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-05-call-of-duty-fan-campaign-mass-downvotes-infinite-warfares-reveal-trailer

"Call of Duty fan campaign mass-downvotes Infinite Warfare's reveal trailer

Call of Duty fans are downvoting the Infinite Warfare reveal trailer in their droves - at the time of writing, the video has 177k upvotes and 307k downvotes after 7.8m views.

There seem to be a few factors in play.

Some Call of Duty fans are upset the game is set so far in the future - despite the increasing sci-fi slant in other recent entries. There are others upset the game looks, in their eyes, similar to other futuristic shooters.

There are also those upset that this year's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare remaster, which features a return to the franchise's popular roots and absolutely no spaceships, is reserved just for those who purchase Infinite Warfare's pricier Legacy, Legacy Pro or Digital Deluxe editions. You can't buy Modern Warfare Remastered separately.

These various quibbles have coalesced into a fanbase feeling pretty cheesed off - hence, the downvotes.

"100k dislikes in 24 hours in one day, great job guys," commenter Lorde Lightskin wrote. "Let's make it to 400k dislikes by tomorrow night?"

The video is currently receiving hundreds of dislikes per minute, so this target seems likely.

"OMFG make a WW1 or WW2 game already not this futuristic bulls**t?" opined TYRANITAR THE DESTROYER.

"Here to dislike," agreed Your Mom's Esophagus. "Bye."

Call of Duty always attracts its fair share of detractors. It's Call of Duty - the biggest annual franchise on the planet. You don't want to act like you're a fan in front of other people (although of course you still get your parents to buy it for you anyway).

But the initial dislike for Infinite Warfare far outstrips the norm. Compare the reveal trailer with those for Black Ops 3, Advanced Warfare and Ghosts. Each has only a fraction of the downvotes.

The following comparison first appeared yesterday on Reddit, although we've updated Infinite Warfare with the most recent figures.

But for all the initial discontent, whether any of this translates into a lack of sales come November is another matter"

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

You're an idiot, TC. And no, you're not right.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Where's that Boycott MW2 on Steam image again?

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

After 8 years lol

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Call Of Duty fans become aware they are being exploited - Salt

No shit ?!?

Oh wow !!! TC just found out, LOL.

Actually I don't care about being "exploited", I have a lot of fun, hell, I even enjoyed the "worst" COD: Ghosts

I´m eagerly waiting for Infinite Warfare.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Releasing CoD4 with the latest CoD reminded all the fans that their used to be a time when that series was decent.

But they are CoD fans. If you stuck around after 4 then sure enough the new CoD will be on the purchase list this year. Heck, might even be the only game on the purchase knowing CoD fans.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

People are pissed that the MW remaster is being held hostage behind IW. I don't think anyone is actually upset that the new COD looks like shit. People just want to be able to buy MW remastered separately for a reasonable price.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Where's that Boycott MW2 on Steam image again?

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

The franchise is the poster boy for everything that is wrong with the corporate gaming industry

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

Don't like the look of the new game, it's not a CoD game. Should have just named it something else and started an entirely new franchise. It would still have sold millions.

I'm also not a fan of holding MW hostage, and wont be buying this game as a result. If they release separately I may change my mind, but if I can't play MW with my buddy, I don't need it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b

@NFJSupreme said:

The franchise is the poster boy for everything that is wrong with the corporate gaming industry

But COD makes more money and sells more copies than any other fps. How is that bad again? If people didn't want it, they wouldn't buy it. It seems like people on this board are in the minority once again.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

Not really.

Every year CoD provides a full-fledged campaign, Co-op and multiplayer modes, all chock-full of content.

It's undeniably a damn good value.

If this is "wrong", i guess you must really like the new Battlefront, which is an exact opposite in that department.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@GoldenElementXL: hey, don´t count me in that group. I´m one of those millions of retards purchasing COD every time it´s released.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Activision what do you honestly expect? They milk the crap out of people when ever they can. Battlefield is heading to that way too, but at least they don't ride the same ancient engine over and over again

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24913 Posts

The only decent COD games are COD1, UO and 2. they were just ok not great. everything after that is trash. even fans are getting sick of it.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Watch this be the best CoD EVER.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#17 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Makes me wonder how much the new one would sell if Modern Warfare wasnt being held hostage by the collectors editions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@ghosts4ever said:

everything after that is trash. even fans are getting sick of it.

Is that why COD sells more copies than ANY other game year after year? 2013 is the only year since COD4 MW that we didn't have a COD game at the top of the year end NPD's. Last year there were 2 COD games in the top 10!

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@Shewgenja: I was thinking along those lines as well.

There's always grumbles of COD hate but when the time rolls around....it still sells well.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Howmakewood

@GoldenElementXL said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Is that why COD sells more copies than ANY other game year after year? 2013 is the only year since COD4 MW that we didn't have a COD game at the top of the year end NPD's. Last year there were 2 COD games in the top 10!

If you play sales then yes COD is one of the best games every year, just like Justin Bieber is the best artist and why the comparison? well their main audience is quite similar, with the exception of gender swap. And no I don't look down on people who like COD, but it ain't my cup of tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b

@howmakewood said:
@GoldenElementXL said:
@ghosts4ever said:

If you play sales then yes COD is one of the best games every year, just like Justin Bieber is the best artist and why the comparison? well their main audience is quite similar, with the exception of gender swap. And no I don't look down on people who like COD, but it ain't my cup of tea

Well my post was in response to the claim ghosts made about COD fans. They are "getting sick of it?" We wouldn't know by the sales. And we also know how series their "hardcore" fanbase is about boycotting/voting with their wallets. *See the boycott pic

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Howmakewood

@GoldenElementXL: Yes the boycot is just bs, the next one will sell like hotcakes regardless what this small base of cod fans say(most of those buy it too )

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

I think bo3 is the last Cod I buy, I cannot even be bothered to play with friends any longer. I do have the occasional game but it's kinda a take it or leave it things

It just doesn't do it for me any longer and I think my love died with BO2

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I bet next year COD4MWREMASTER be available separately. Be patient.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#25  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

Considering most people are stupid and simple minded, COD games are designed to be simple, accessible, and a polished turd (much like your summer blockbuster movie). They are all about the spectacle and instant gratification, but lack any heart and soul. The majority of COD fans are too dumb to realize there are better games out there. Perhaps the other games are just too advanced for them. Either way, COD will continue to sell well as there is no shortage of dumb people.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#26  Edited By d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

How do you know it's COD "fans" that are down voting and not people who suck at the game and hate it?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Who cares, CoD fans will bitch and cry and come November will gladly bend over just like every year

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

as shitty as cod is it's still got a better SP than battlefield has ever had, and that's what attracted me to the new trailer.

I love space.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

@d_parker said:

How do you know it's COD "fans" that are down voting and not people who suck at the game and hate it?

Not all of us COD fans buy it every year... I have zero interest in the futuristic crap, skipped Advanced Warfare and only tried Black Ops 3 and hated that as well.

I just want Cod4/MW2/WaW or Black Ops 1 style games. I'd gladly buy but not for $80 since I know I wont play this new one

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@BassMan said:

Considering most people are stupid and simple minded, COD games are designed to be simple, accessible, and a polished turd (much like your summer blockbuster movie). They are all about the spectacle and instant gratification, but lack any heart and soul. The majority of COD fans are too dumb to realize there are better games out there. Perhaps the other games are just too advanced for them. Either way, COD will continue to sell well as there is no shortage of dumb people.

I like COD. I like a lot of games. I'd like to think I'm not dumb.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Activision just needs to make another awesome Campaign like what Modern Warfare 2 did.

Then again to do that they'll need to make a Genre defining Game like COD4.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#32 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@clone01 said:
@BassMan said:

I like COD. I like a lot of games. I'd like to think I'm not dumb.

What sets you apart is that you like a lot of games. You don't limit yourself to COD as your main game. You probably play COD for a little bit and then feel the need for something more satisfying. COD can be alright in small doses.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

The game itself isn't the issue, the trailer had a pretty normal like to dislike ratio at first, it's all about the bundle as far as I can tell which I find hilarious because we all know how it'll end up:

1. Activision does nothing, releases the bundles as announced

2. Most of the people complaining buy it anyway, because try explaining to your friends that "yeah there was an internet campaign and now I can't play games with you"

3. 6 months or so down the line they release MW: Remastered separately for $40 or something.

4. The rest of the complainers think they won even though it was Activisions plan all along and pick up the game.

People might not like their games but Activision generally make great business decisions, let's not forget that they came up with Skylanders which is genius. Some companies might pander to the audience and announce it separately but I think Activision know well enough that what I listed above is pretty much what'll happen.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Every comment on this topic here is obvious. Even this comment.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@R10nu said:
@NFJSupreme said:

Not really.

Every year CoD provides a full-fledged campaign, Co-op and multiplayer modes, all chock-full of content.

It's undeniably a damn good value.

If this is "wrong", i guess you must really like the new Battlefront, which is an exact opposite in that department.

Not to mention that CoD games actually have MP bots, which is something that used to be a standard for PC gaming.

Still_Vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Still_Vicious
Member since 2016 • 319 Posts

I always thought it was weird that cod fans complain about the gameplay then complain that the games are all so similar, yet still complain when something new is tried.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

7.8m views, 307k dislikes /shrug I doubt Activison have even noticed and will care even less when they make another couple of billion dollars from this year's instalment. Whether you like CoD or not (and I'm anything but a fan) it's inevitable that what ever they throw out each year, that it will sell millions of copies and map packs.