Call of Duty 2 still has best SP campaign in series?

• 67 results
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24894 Posts

Hello friends,

Recently I replayed COD2 and just finished it after long time. and its surprisingly still impressive. I did replayed COD1 some month ago and it was kinda average overall until it reach soviet campaign in Stalingrad battle. however after replaying COD2. it still feel great. unlike original which feel dated.

Its also the longest COD game ever made and is longer than 8 hour the campaign is most varied in series from snowy soviet campaign to british campaign to africa to D-Day and Hill 400 which are easily best missions in series.

Lets compare the D-day landing of COD2 to CODWW2. former is you play, later is it play it self.

many people consider COD4 as best campaign in series but imo it was kinda underwelmingly compare to COD2.

COD2 is probably best WW2 FPS next to MOH allied assault.

I dont think any game in series will surpassed it.

what do you think? discuss

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

Is this wiiu game. That only COD i have and still not play it.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

No, MW2 has the best campaign in the series and it's not even close.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ghosts4ever

@R10nu said:

No, MW2 has the best campaign in the series and it's not even close.

Its too short and rely too much on set pieces. although it was best of MW trilogy.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Yes, I think so. They became too scripted and special ops after that. CoD2 felt more like war.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46182 Posts
  • Call of Duty
  • Call of Duty United Offensive
  • Call of Duty 2
  • Call of Duty Modern Warfare
  • Call of Duty World At War

All these games have standout, memorable campaigns.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

COD2 felt less cheesy and scripted than the games that came afterwards. The story was good, and I remember how mindblowing (for me at least) it was to have characters with their names and ranks above their heads fighting alongside you lol.

Most linear COD to date for me is definitely Big Red One on the PS2. I know all COD games are somewhat scripted, but to be insta-killed by magic bullets if you so much as deviated off the beaten path was super immersion breaking, and really took away from the story and game in general. No use hiding behind a tree when the enemy has a death notebook handy, and knows your name.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Not IMO. MW and Black Ops OG still stand out as more compelling, but the tone of COD2 is more ideal, just not properly executed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

I personally enjoyed the original best.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever
@ezekiel43 said:

Yes, I think so. They became too scripted and special ops after that. CoD2 felt more like war.

COD2 was scripted but very less. so yeah it does feel like a war. i was young when i played it first time and when i reach D-Day i was like i was in war.

COD1 was as scripted as MW thought.

@mandzilla said:

COD2 felt less cheesy and scripted than the games that came afterwards. The story was good, and I remember how mindblowing (for me at least) it was to have characters with their names and ranks above their heads fighting alongside you lol.

Theres not much of story. but theres some character like captain price and mcgreggor. captain price was pretty popular.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Original was kinda bland imo except final soviet campaign. while second one improve over almost everything. there are not D-Day landing moments like in original one. its like we are playing saving private ryan the video game.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mandzilla  Moderator
@ghosts4ever said:
@mandzilla said:

Theres not much of story. but theres some character like captain price and mcgreggor. captain price was pretty popular.

Hmm, good point actually, the story was pretty barebones. And yet, I prefer that campaign to the other CODs which had elaborate twists, michael bay explosions and set pieces. Captain Price has been in a lot of COD games since right?
For me, Brothers in Arms>Medal of Honour>Call of Duty when it comes to WW2 storytelling.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@mandzilla said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@mandzilla said:

Hmm, good point actually, the story was pretty barebones. And yet, I prefer that campaign to the other CODs which had elaborate twists, michael bay explosions and set pieces. Captain Price has been in a lot of COD games since right?

For me, Brothers in Arms>Medal of Honour>Call of Duty when it comes to WW2 storytelling.

Road to hill 30 was pretty good story driven WW2 game. it was truely unique game for its time. despite its too scripted and has mediocre shooting. i really liked it.

hells highway was not as good. with unskipabble cutscene.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Original was kinda bland imo except final soviet campaign. while second one improve over almost everything. there are not D-Day landing moments like in original one. its like we are playing saving private ryan the video game.

Pegasus bridge.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mandzilla  Moderator

@ghosts4ever: Mhm, I disliked Hell's Highway too. At least compared to the first two anyway. Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood may not have had the best gunplay, but the squad system and attention to historical detail really made them stand out from the crowd back when WW2 games were a dime a dozen.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Nah, the Advanced Warfare and Infinie Warfare campaigns were great. Some of those fights in Infinite Warfare were legit, and if you didn’t play those campaigns you’re an asshole. Floating in space, grappling a dude and busting him in the face with a shotgun... And you jerks wanna replay WWI and WWII again? (Well as long as there aren’t any women or minorities that is)

It’s a good thing y’all don’t call the shots. Let’s just leave it at that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Ok, but thats like winning an award for being the tallest midget lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56026 Posts

The only campaign I find enjoyable in Call of Duty was in Advanced Warfare only because Kevin Spacey was the villain in that game. He was the reason that made me like Advanced Warfare back then.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

My favourites were probably Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, or Infinite Warfare. I found those to be really good ones myself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I don't Saving Private Ryan that interesting. Spielberg never did anything as good as Schindler's List again.

Band of Brothers (HBO series) >>> Saving Private Ryan

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7216 Posts

I thought COD 3 was great played hours of that on 360. Actually enjoyed infinite warefare more than I thought I would.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ezekiel43 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I don't Saving Private Ryan that interesting. Spielberg never did anything as good as Schindler's List again.

Saving Private Ryan was a game-changer mainly in the way the opening act was shot. Instead of a typical perspective it was done like a hand-held camera with someone on a contemporary battlefield.

Schindler's List should have been happier imo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@uninspiredcup said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Saving Private Ryan was a game-changer mainly in the way the opening act was shot. Instead of a typical perspective it was done like a hand-held camera with someone on a contemporary battlefield.

Schindler's List should have been happier imo.

Technically impressive, yes, but not that interesting. Schindler's List had more heart and a more compelling premise, a Nazi deciding he has to do all this after seeing what's happening, and also the difference between him and Amon. It's not one of the best movies ever, but it has more going for it, the theme of caring about your fellow man. Band of Brothers is more believable and has more likable characters than Saving Private Ryan and blows it out of the water. No scene in Saving Private Ryan was as terrifying and spectacular as the ceaseless bombing in the forest in the Battle of the Bulge. That was the loudest thing I've ever watched on this home theater system. I was concerned for my neighbors, but too impressed by all the exploding trees, snow and earth to turn it down. The protagonist's narration added to the sense of horror.

Spielberg actually said in a 2018 on stage cast and crew interview that he never felt as proud about any film he has made since Schindler's List. Which makes sense.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

It's up there. I still think Modern Warfare was better for me. Keyword: for me.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

I can agree to that.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

First COD I played. Must've finished that campaign 20 or so times.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

My favourite was big red one. It was also the first I really played, so maybe that's why.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46182 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Nah, the Advanced Warfare and Infinie Warfare campaigns were great. Some of those fights in Infinite Warfare were legit, and if you didn’t play those campaigns you’re an asshole. Floating in space, grappling a dude and busting him in the face with a shotgun... And you jerks wanna replay WWI and WWII again? (Well as long as there aren’t any women or minorities that is)

It’s a good thing y’all don’t call the shots. Let’s just leave it at that.

20 or so Call of Duty games, there is not a single WW1 one.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

2 introduced the bullshit health regeneration though, so it really does need to be modded, otherwise I'd def take 1 over it.

And yea, f**k the rest.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ghosts4ever
@i_p_daily said:

well the first 2 COD were pretty good than it stop being good.

however COD games are not worst FPS. there much worse games like new wolfenstein games and bioshock.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34558 Posts

I think I enjoyed the first game the most. But I don't really remember it. Doubt I'd enjoy it today. I liked CoD until Modern Warfare 2. The campaign of MW1 was pretty fun, but quite short I thought. MW2's campaign was way worse and even shorter. Played it for like 4 hours, then I got credits and went "...that was it?" Half of the game was QTE's or just walking for ****'s sake. I tried WaW and thought it was better than MW2, but the series had become stale and boring by then, and I've ignored the series ever since.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Litchie
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

however COD games are not worst FPS. there much worse games like new wolfenstein games and bioshock.

BioShock, despite being wonky and handholdy and basically a worse version of System Shock, was still a cool game imo. The setting was awesome, the enemies scary, the powers were interesting. I find BioShock way better than CoD. Even BioShock 2 was fun, despite the annoying "stand here for a while and kill all waves of enemies" events. BioShock Infinite, however, is probably one of the worst piece of shit AAA games I've ever played.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

I think I enjoyed the first game the most. But I don't really remember it. Doubt I'd enjoy it today. I liked CoD until Modern Warfare 2. The campaign of MW1 was pretty fun, but quite short I thought. MW2's campaign was way worse and even shorter. Played it for like 4 hours, then I got credits and went "...that was it?" Half of the game was QTE's or just walking for ****'s sake. I tried WaW and thought it was better than MW2, but the series had become stale and boring by then, and I've ignored the series ever since.

I think MW2 was way better than MW1. MW1 campaign british sas part was ok while american one fighting in middle east is most generic thing i have ever seen in gaming. follow by scripted stealth sequence that invent in all guilled up mission. MW1 was mediocre.

MW1 and 2 are both exact same games but 2 is actually better due to there are much better missions there. both are short.

I remember 10 years ago MW2 was highly hated yet MW1 was praised and i never understood because they both are exact same games with same length. MW2 is also more memorable than MW1.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghosts4ever
@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

BioShock, despite being wonky and handholdy and basically a worse version of System Shock, was still a cool game imo. The setting was awesome, the enemies scary, the powers were interesting. I find BioShock way better than CoD. Even BioShock 2 was fun, despite the annoying "stand here for a while and kill all waves of enemies" events. BioShock Infinite, however, is probably one of the worst piece of shit AAA games I've ever played.

Infinite is just real bad. not just overrated but a flatout bad game. its among the top 5 worst games ever made imo.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Litchie
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

I think MW2 was way better than MW1. MW1 campaign british sas part was ok while american one fighting in middle east is most generic thing i have ever seen in gaming. follow by scripted stealth sequence that invent in all guilled up mission. MW1 was mediocre.

MW1 and 2 are both exact same games but 2 is actually better due to there are much better missions there. both are short.

I remember 10 years ago MW2 was highly hated yet MW1 was praised and i never understood because they both are exact same games with same length. MW2 is also more memorable than MW1.

I disagree. MW2 is like a worse MW1. Missions were better and more memorable in MW1. I don't remember a single mission in MW2. Really hated that game. I also remember MW2 getting praise and didn't understand it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

I disagree. MW2 is like a worse MW1. Missions were better and more memorable in MW1. I don't remember a single mission in MW2. Really hated that game. I also remember MW2 getting praise and didn't understand it.

MW2 praise by critics but hated by gamers. it become most hated game of 2009.

and what is so memorable about COD4? flashback chernoboyl missions are feel like poor mans Stalker with brown middle east setting was terribly boring. it was very scripted too. the last mission was on rail shooter with you doing nothing just sit in jeap and shooting, then scripted sequence then shoot while not controlling. boring.

MW2 has snowy missions and feel great. with how you drive automobile. both are same games but MW2 is better of 2.

althought Titanfall 2 SP is best thing they have done since COD2/MOHAA. completely destroy MW out of water.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Litchie
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

MW2 praise by critics but hated by gamers. it become most hated game of 2009.

and what is so memorable about COD4? flashback chernoboyl missions are feel like poor mans Stalker with brown middle east setting was terribly boring. it was very scripted too. the last mission was on rail shooter with you doing nothing just sit in jeap and shooting, then scripted sequence then shoot while not controlling. boring.

MW2 has snowy missions and feel great. with how you drive automobile. both are same games but MW2 is better of 2.

althought Titanfall 2 SP is best thing they have done since COD2/MOHAA. completely destroy MW out of water.

Well, in MW1 I remember the tutorial in the beginning, the mission on the ship and the sniper mission. That's more than I remember from MW2. I remember nothing about that game. I don't even remember there were snowy missions. I guess they were over in 15 minutes or so? The game just meant nothing and did nothing for me..

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

COD2 Regenerating health ruined it for me and the pacing was to arcadey I prefer MOHAA easily.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

For me yes. I'm not a fan of the series, but i simply loved CoD2.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Not sure. I bought and played CoD 1. Didn't like it. The closest I got to playing CoD 2 is playing the demo on PC. The only other CoD I paid money for is CoD 4. But, before I can even take off the shrinkwrap, my nephew asked if he can have it. The wife said, "It's just a silly game. Give it to him." Aaaand, that's it. I haven't bought or played a CoD game since.

I betcha I still have a screenshot of the CoD 2 demo......

Yup!

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

That's your opinion of course where as I think they (the ones I've played which includes the one your championing) are shit, and I've only played the first Bioshock and the Wolfenstein game that was released early on this gen and they are way better than any CoD I've ever played.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

I liked World At War better, glad they took a break from D-Day for a change.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

That's your opinion of course where as I think they (the ones I've played which includes the one your championing) are shit, and I've only played the first Bioshock and the Wolfenstein game that was released early on this gen and they are way better than any CoD I've ever played.

I liked all the Bioshock games better than any CoD game. Not that I found anything wrong with the latter. They just weren't to my tastes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Respawn Entertainment is indeed genius. COD2 has the best gameplay like story, more traditional if you will but with good graphics and insane soundscape. A true war feeling. Veteran is the way to play that game. It was my first 'next gen' experience after the ps2/xbox era. Gears of War soon topped it soon after tough. Best times in gaming, nothing will ever match, especially after realizing the current pathetic demographic and there flatsurface and superficial interests.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

yeah cod 2 is my favourite.

i preferred the style of the early games when it was tales of a bunch of unremarkable men together overcoming overwhelming odds, rather than the heroics of a single super soldier that most of the games post cod 3 followed

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#47  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

The CoDs I beat were:

CoD

CoD: Finest hour

CoD 4: MW

CoD: MW2

CoD: MW3

CoD: Infinite Warfare

I'm gonna be a little of an hipster here and say my favorite campaign was Infinite Warfare. I though it was underrated but I'm not a big CoD fan anyway although I believe the hatred towards this series is way too overblown

@jun_aka_pekto said:

The wife said, "It's just a silly game. Give it to him." Aaaand, that's it.

lol. Now we know who the man of the house is.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@mandzilla said:

@ghosts4ever: Mhm, I disliked Hell's Highway too. At least compared to the first two anyway. Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood may not have had the best gunplay, but the squad system and attention to historical detail really made them stand out from the crowd back when WW2 games were a dime a dozen.

I am on WW2 mood so i replayed Road to hill 30 then COD2 and now i start replaying hells highway. its not bad at all. its ok. although implementation of third person cover didnot needed.

next brothers in arms need to remove that.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
@ghosts4ever said:
@mandzilla said:

I am on WW2 mood so i replayed Road to hill 30 then COD2 and now i start replaying hells highway. its not bad at all. its ok. although implementation of third person cover didnot needed.

next brothers in arms need to remove that.

Yes, Brothers in Arms needs to stay in first-person. If anything, add in a Killzone-esque first-person leaning cover system.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#50 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

In COD2, Captain Bodywash could tell you to go down multiple pathways...that sounded wrong even before I wrote it but here we are.