C. Moriarty damage controls PS Now's price, PS4 still sucks

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

For Weekly Rentals, PlayStation Now's Pricing is Reasonable

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/01/for-weekly-rentals-playstation-nows-pricing-is-reasonable

"...but I will say that, at under a dollar a day, renting these games isn't going to break the bank. Indeed, it seems in line with pricing of rental games from back in the day, and when you take into account all important inflation, that means that renting from Now for a week is actually cheaper than it was at your local video store (this also doesn't take into account the quality of the Now streams, and whether or not they satisfactorily work)...

...Avoid four hour rentals like the plague, and go ahead and plug your PS3 back in if you're not down with weekly rentals, as the prices when you go above that may just recommend buying those games outright.

But seven day rentals? I'm not seeing anything worth worrying about there."

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

The PS4. It was $100 cheaper but enjoy paying for PS+, PS Now, Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited, etc.

You want to play MP3s though? Nah bro. Nah. Games? Haha **** you, get good WiFi and let Sony gape your wallet with stupid PS Now prices.

What a shitty system.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

silly cow

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

I heard Sony tried to pay him to talk nice but they had to write an IOU

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Pricing is an issue with PS Now. I don't plan on using it anyway.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheEroica  Moderator

@SaltyMeatballs: no value = not good for gamers

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Its sad that publishers think these prices are reasonable. The only reason I would think they would demand such high prices is because they want people to buy the retail game.

There has been some terrible exploitation going on with gaming in general. Paying for P2P gaming all last generation was sad. Early access titles never getting complete is sad.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

PS Now will most likely succeed. As for prices, it's called a beta for a reason. Besides, why should Sony give a crap about what a vocal group of nerds think? If people pay for it all is swell. And I bet they will. I would never have thought last gen that people would pay companies money for free to play but they do. As for your bashing of PS4 - well, it's still selling.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@Blabadon said:

For Weekly Rentals, PlayStation Now's Pricing is Reasonable

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/01/for-weekly-rentals-playstation-nows-pricing-is-reasonable

"...but I will say that, at under a dollar a day, renting these games isn't going to break the bank. Indeed, it seems in line with pricing of rental games from back in the day, and when you take into account all important inflation, that means that renting from Now for a week is actually cheaper than it was at your local video store (this also doesn't take into account the quality of the Now streams, and whether or not they satisfactorily work)...

...Avoid four hour rentals like the plague, and go ahead and plug your PS3 back in if you're not down with weekly rentals, as the prices when you go above that may just recommend buying those games outright.

But seven day rentals? I'm not seeing anything worth worrying about there."

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

PS Now will most likely succeed. As for prices, it's called a beta for a reason. Besides, why should Sony give a crap about what a vocal group of nerds think? If people pay for it all is swell. And I bet they will. I would never have thought last gen that people would pay companies money for free to play but they do. As for your bashing of PS4 - well, it's still selling.

why will PS Now succeed?

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

If people pay for it all is swell.

People paid for Live last generation for P2P service doesn't magical make it swell. People buying trash games likes WarZ doesn't make it swell.

I am all for this streaming service but the prices publishers are demanding are horrible.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: wait... so sony shouldn't listen to their community, fans and customers? Bring on another ps3 Launch!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic

@TheEroica said:

@SolidGame_basic: wait... so sony shouldn't listen to their community, fans and customers? Bring on another ps3 Launch!

People speak with their money don't they?

ChristianGmr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 ChristianGmr14
Member since 2014 • 157 Posts

PS Now sucks, but I don't think the PS4 sucks.

I was under the impression that this would be a gaming service akin to Netflix, you either pay an additional subscription or is offered to PS Plus members, and you get to stream or download all the PS3, PS2, and PS1 titles you desire.

Sony really screwed up and IGN needs to stop hiring fanboys.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: yes... so where is the evidence that with glaringly off balanced pricing and suspect performance that PSNow will succeed?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lostrib

@TheEroica said:

@SolidGame_basic: yes... so where is the evidence that with glaringly off balanced pricing and suspect performance that PSNow will succeed?

in his fanboy reality

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic

@TheEroica said:

where is the evidence that it hasn't? like I said, it's a beta. what if do people pay for it? would you blame Sony for that? you're more than welcome to buy your own copy.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib

@SolidGame_basic said:

@TheEroica said:

where is the evidence that it hasn't? like I said, it's a beta. what if do people pay for it? would you blame Sony for that? you're more than welcome to buy your own copy.

you said it will succeed, what's your basis for this?

Also, weren't you going to stop posting?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

weekly rentals are the option i would pick if i was to rent a game, usually take me 4 days to finish a game so a week is plently of time. the 4 hour rental prices are high because sony dont want u to rent a game for 4 hours, they want to encourage people to spend more money and rent it for a week/month.

ps now isnt meant for ps3 owners, its targeting the tablet market. if they can create a subscription model like, £10 for unlimited access to 6 games a month or something it might be successful. for the average joe 6 games a month is plenty, hell i dont even play 6 games a month more like 2

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: guess we'll have to wait and see the evidence as its now open for use... I look forward to that.

I'm going to go ahead and say then that you are quite upset with Sony for blocking you from getting to enjoy the new EA service as its simply there for the fans to gobble up and make sony money? Right? I mean there's no sense in blocking a service that people might pay for and if you don't want to use it you can just go "buy your own copy"

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

EA Now=Bad value for our customers

Renting Adventure Time-Explore the Dungeon for $30 for 90 days=GREAT VALUE FOR OUR CUSTOMERS THAT WE SO DEARLY LOVE!!!!

**** off Sony.

Also, Colin Moriarty is a tool.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Why the **** are we getting IGN news here?

Shitty blab thread? Shitty blab thread.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheEroica  Moderator

@lostrib: Ugh.... fanboys?!?...... METEO!!!!

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ghostwarrior786

@TheEroica said:

where did u hear about the suspect performance? impressions have been really positive so far from what ive been reading. pretty much lag free and this is from people using 15mb internet

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@TheEroica said:

People speak with their money don't they?

So shouldn't Sony have allowed EA's service then? Instead, Sony gave the BS PR fluff that it didn't bring value to the customers.

I think both services will fail.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SolidGame_basic

@TheEroica said:

@SolidGame_basic: guess we'll have to wait and see the evidence as its now open for use... I look forward to that.

I'm going to go ahead and say then that you are quite upset with Sony for blocking you from getting to enjoy the new EA service as its simply there for the fans to gobble up and make sony money? Right? I mean there's no sense in blocking a service that people might pay for and if you don't want to use it you can just go "buy your own copy"

you're a fair poster, I give you credit for that. as for EA - I don't blame Sony for looking out for its own interests. also, given EA has been contriving ways to get our money through micro-transactions I really don't want to encourage them further.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

First of all, his name reminds of a damn demon for some reason...

Second of all, and i know i'm going to get bashed for asking this but, isn't $8 for a month a reasonable price? I never rented a game in my life so i don't know how much it usually costs but i feel like people are overreacting.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

IGN defending Sony? more news at 11. As for failing, i think it will with these prices, but, the internet is still a minority. Still, it's rip-off levels when you consider you can buy these games for less.

Seriously, it's just weird that EA is offering a better deal than Sony, who usually does offer fair pricing.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheEroica  Moderator

@ghostwarrior786: it has been reported upon.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/01/07/playstation-now-early-impression-noticeable-lag-graphics-depend-on-bandwidth-more/

http://gamingbolt.com/playstation-now-beta-video-shows-lag-on-100mb-connection

http://kotaku.com/we-tried-playstation-now-heres-how-it-went-1593381539

"The response times on the Playstation Now are pretty good. At first, I barely noticed any lag at all. I missed some of the quicktime events when being grabbed by a zombie in Riptide, but for the most part felt okay about it. Then I went to the PS3 version and that was when I really noticed a difference. After playing the first section of the game on PS3, I did it again on Now. I could really feel the sluggishness, especially when going for headshots with guns instead of wildly swinging sticks."

Not saying it can't be improved upon, but "suspect" is a perfectly acceptable way to put it.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ghostwarrior786

@TheEroica said:

@ghostwarrior786: it has been reported upon.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/01/07/playstation-now-early-impression-noticeable-lag-graphics-depend-on-bandwidth-more/

http://gamingbolt.com/playstation-now-beta-video-shows-lag-on-100mb-connection

http://kotaku.com/we-tried-playstation-now-heres-how-it-went-1593381539

"The response times on the Playstation Now are pretty good. At first, I barely noticed any lag at all. I missed some of the quicktime events when being grabbed by a zombie in Riptide, but for the most part felt okay about it. Then I went to the PS3 version and that was when I really noticed a difference. After playing the first section of the game on PS3, I did it again on Now. I could really feel the sluggishness, especially when going for headshots with guns instead of wildly swinging sticks."

Not saying it can't be improved upon, but "suspect" is a perfectly acceptable way to put it.

interesting, but these all seem to be impressions from the ps3 beta which was month or so ago. maybe they made improvements for the ps4 beta or maybe gaff is full of sony shills

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Yes, PS Now is a joke as it stands but if you dont like it dont use it. Problem?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Blabadon said:

The PS4. It was $100 cheaper but enjoy paying for PS+, PS Now, Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited, etc.

You want to play MP3s though? Nah bro. Nah. Games? Haha **** you, get good WiFi and let Sony gape your wallet with stupid PS Now prices.

What a shitty system.

PSN+ give you games at no extra cost,gold is $60 either way.

PSN now isn't mandatory,i don't care for music unlimited,neither for video unlimited.

MP3 playback is coming.

PSN Now sucks and you still a troll good day.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: I thank you... everything I do, I aim for "fair" nothing more, nothing less. :P

I just don't subscribe to the idea that sony gets a free pass and EA doesn't because EA is EA. Isn't Sonys "best interest" making money and keeping customers happy? Instead of keeping their trap shut and evolving psn+ to stand out against the incoming psn+like services, they played off their fans in an attempt to tell you what you think you want all the while sliding in a streaming service that isn't exactly getting stellar press all around. I find this massively hypocritical and in all honesty, though I like Sonys products, came off sleezier than anything EA has done in recent memory.

But I'm getting off topic...

II'll never fault a company for trying something new or attempting to grab a piece of the action... it's the way business works in the 21st century. Consumers, as you said, get the final say with their wallets... I don't see a resounding slam dunk of a success with PSNow based on the possible latency issues and pricing model (wifi not recommended and pricey per game) and none of us know enough about what EA is cooking though we'll all have a strong opinion when it gets near.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@tormentos said:

@Blabadon said:

What a shitty system.

PSN+ give you games at no extra cost,gold is $60 either way.

PSN now isn't mandatory,i don't care for music unlimited,neither for video unlimited.

MP3 playback is coming.

PSN Now sucks and you still a troll good day.

Gold gives you games at no extra cost as well. Try harder tormentard.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

I didn't read in the article that he mentioned PS4 sucks as TC claims. The service needs work hence why it is a beta at the moment, should Sony get there shit together this could be a fantastic service in the future especially if we can actually get PS1/PS2 era games, as of now I am not interested.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@TheEroica said:

I heard Sony tried to pay him to talk nice but they had to write an IOU

LMAO!! That's funny.

This was the smartest thing Moriarty said in the article.

"Avoid four hour rentals like the plague, and go ahead and plug your PS3 back in if you're not down with weekly rentals, as the prices when you go above that may just recommend buying those games outright."

He should have said avoid PSNow like the plague. A smart gamer will just stick with their PS3 and physical disks. Does Sony realize that this is a "streaming service" and not digital downloading. For a streaming service these prices should be dirt cheap. Like $0.25 for 1 day - $1 for a week. $4 for 30 days. There shouldn't even be an hourly or 90 day option. $49.99 for a year of unlimited access. This kind of pricing would work for most gamers.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheEroica  Moderator

@blackace: not being able to control the quality of the product is issue number 1. From what I've read this service requires you to be hard lined to the net. Um yeah...no.

Mix that with an odd pricing model and you're staring down the barrel of a potential PR nightmare....

I agree... the service in its infancy, in order to legitimize itself shouldn't launch with premium pricing. It should be on the cheap. It'll give sony time to see what kind of usage they're looking at and what they can do to improve... then after a few years of fine tuning you launch it proper.

Imagine working for Sony customer service and fielding calls from people pissed that they're games are stuttering and complaining they rented for a month? With unproven (and game streaming is HIGHLY unproven to be consistent) you gotta overwhelm with value so not to turn folks off out of the gate... I don't see that happening here.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Solid_Max13 said:

I didn't read in the article that he mentioned PS4 sucks as TC claims. The service needs work hence why it is a beta at the moment, should Sony get there shit together this could be a fantastic service in the future especially if we can actually get PS1/PS2 era games, as of now I am not interested.

yea, blatant trolling is blatant trolling. I wonder how long it would take the mods to lock if someone said PC sucks in the title without any explanation ;)

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I hope this flops hard like it should

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

yea, blatant trolling is blatant trolling. I wonder how long it would take the mods to lock if someone said PC sucks in the title without any explanation ;)

it is sad how blatantly biased some of these mods are. ah whatever. like with youtube and anywhere else, I guess xbox fanboys needs SOMEWHERE to gather for refuge.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@handssss said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

it is sad how blatantly biased some of these mods are. ah whatever. like with youtube and anywhere else, I guess xbox fanboys needs SOMEWHERE to gather for refuge.

shhh they're reading! (but yes, some mods are biased) also - there are people here who actually spend time ratting on others to their buddy mods. ok ok, my lips are zipped!

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Good to see SONY back on track.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lostrib

@SolidGame_basic said:

@handssss said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

shhh they're reading! (but yes, some mods are biased) also - there are people here who actually spend time ratting on others to their buddy mods. ok ok, my lips are zipped!

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

It's honestly laughable that they turned down EA's subscription service for being a poor value, then present this absolute steaming pile of shit to us and expect us to gobble it up. No thank you. PS Now is easily the absolute worst thing about an otherwise good console.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Randolph said:

It's honestly laughable that they turned down EA's subscription service for being a poor value, then present this absolute steaming pile of shit to us and expect us to gobble it up. No thank you. PS Now is easily the absolute worst thing about an otherwise good console.

Because Sony gets the money....not EA. It's a Sony platform. It's business. Most businesses don't give value to competitors.

IamAdorable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 IamAdorable
Member since 2013 • 407 Posts

I'm not surprised they turned down EA. They already had their own service going on. Microsoft only has Gold. Playstation is now dealing with Now and PS+. I am not interested in Playstation Now though.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lostrib

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Randolph said:

Because Sony gets the money....not EA. It's a Sony platform. It's business. Most businesses don't give value to competitors.

Not really what he's talking about. Sony stated they turned down the EA Access offer because it was a poor value to the users

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

So basically rip off their customers? But I thought Sony was live love learn, for gamers and by gamers?

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

The fact that Tom and Carolyn lost their jobs but Colin is still employed in the industry is a real head scratcher to me. But I guess the editors over at IGN don't even pretend to be unbiased so whatever. I mean this is the site that posted COD next gen comparisons with one system in color blind mode for crying out loud. And then stated the native resolution difference was obvious when the PS4 1080p patch wasn't released yet.

The dynamic duo of Colin and Greg is the reason I can't stand IGN. Greg's showing on the Giantbomb E3 show is all the evidence you need. And now Colin is defending the PS Now prices? Wow.

But I buy all my games new so I guess I have nothing to b*tch about.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@lostrib said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Randolph said:

Not really what he's talking about. Sony stated they turned down the EA Access offer because it was a poor value to the users

Well obviously they don't think their service is...anyway I'm just reading between the lines as to why.